WIP Map Thread

I don't think it was possible that China would stay out of WW3, not because they wanted to, but because Russia hated them strongly during that time.

I'm assuming a pre-1983 POD or two that makes Chinese-Soviet relations a little less fraught than OTL, although my impression was that Soviet-Chinese hostility was at its worst in the late Mao period (the USSR floated the balloon of attacking China while the US looked the other way during the Nixon era: 1982 saw the beginning of a dialogue to restore normal relations, although that wasn't finalized until the Gorbachev years).

Sort of an alt-Doomsday 1983, in which China stays out of WWIII and does alright.

View attachment 701868
Interesting concept.

With Pakistan broken into fragmented statelets and an independent (Tamil?) state breaking off from India, I assume they got into a nuclear war with each other?

(Man, I think it would be a more interesting geopolitical setting if India got off unhurt - by 1983 there's hardly much of an economic gap between the two, there's a possibility for a bipolar, new cold war world there)

Last edited:
Update:
uchrony.png

I'm gonna be moving on to Western Europe now.

Google Sheet explaining what everything is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SUyRp2FeLTcR_ncWNwFzFfXMbjtU25RD90TXTHYzHX0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
i just figured theyd be less skinny, thankyou though 😊
I forgot to mention, the Chinese coastlines on the major states panel are done at their latest date of change, or closer to when a dynasty is about to collapse.
1639181963303.png

The coastlines for that period should be similar to this, or what existed during the Yuan dynasty

Still needs the Crimean Tatars and Crimean Goths. And the Dnieper Balts. And the Khazars.
Crimean Tatars (north) and Crimean Goths (south):
Sin título.png

Khazars:
Sin títuloo.png

No Dnieper Balts because there's not enough info on them I can find, such as a proper name or rough location.

If you check out the Google Sheet I linked, you can see what everything is right there. All of the names are (very roughly) latinized, which is why they don't always reflect the ethnicity they're representing.

Interesting concept.

With Pakistan broken into fragmented statelets and an independent (Tamil?) state breaking off from India, I assume they got into a nuclear war with each other?

(Man, I think it would be a more interesting geopolitical setting if India got off unhurt - by 1983 there's hardly much of an economic gap between the two, there's a possibility for a bipolar, new cold war world there)

I actually had a scenario like that in the works, based on this book by Frederick Pohl, but got bogged down considering what to do in Africa and how to handle internal political boundaries in Chinese-ruled America. Parts of it have been cannibalized for this map, which is meant to be a Red China wank.

(Latin America, which Pohl annoyingly overlooks the existence of, could be a third pole if it gets its act together. In the current scenario, it's divided between a Brazilian Lite Fascist (less racist, more filling) block, a more or less democratic ("look at the alternatives!") Argentine block, and Chinese-backed Marxists.)
I'm gonna be moving on to Western Europe now.
So what should we call this? The "everyone survives" scenario? :)

Last edited:
So what should we call this? The "everyone survives" scenario? :)
Well, I came up with the name "Uchrony" to indicate how the scenario doesn't fit any set time period. It's a temporary name, though I can't come up with anyting better. Maybe something relating to the term "Hauntology"?

Yes. Bit stumped on what to do with Korea though.
Well, if you're just doing basic analogues, and since Japan is usually Britain in these types of scenarios, either a France!Korea (main continental and later colonial rival) or Ireland!Korea (subjugated half-assimilated settler colony) could work pretty decently.

Although, I think I recall seeing a Korean land empire from the Urals to the Pacific in one of these switcheroo scenarios, a fairly eccentric idea, although I'm not sure how plausible that would be. (Essentially a Russia analogue; although I'm inclined to think a land-locked modernized North Asian nomadic steppe nation may play that role better).