IsiXhosa.png
SeSotho.png
Black.png
Coloured.png
Indian.png
White.png
Dominat.png

detdi9p-db094053-33a3-4d30-ae3b-dca3444a4e3a.png

Located on the southwest end of the Via Triangula, the smallest of the three corners, and yet, it's most important, Augusta was created solely as the bridge between the Province of Britannia, and its island capital; Vectis, to move people, goods and correspondents between them, so if the town were to be destroyed...
Britannia would be blind.

Bonus: Guess where this is.

detdi9p-db094053-33a3-4d30-ae3b-dca3444a4e3a.png

Located on the southwest end of the Via Triangula, the smallest of the three corners, and yet, it's most important, Augusta was created solely as the bridge between the Province of Britannia, and its island capital; Vectis, to move people, goods and correspondents between them, so if the town were to be destroyed...
Britannia would be blind.

Bonus: Guess where this is.
The mouth of the River Meon in Hampshire, England. Augusta's on the site of the present-day Titchfield Haven National Nature Reserve.

So I scrapped my last WIP and started something new. This map will be set in an alternate 2021 and stems from alternate migrations. The main "POD" (used loosely because I tend towards "rule of cool" rather than "hard timeline") is that the Romans never conquered Britannia, but the Anglo-Saxons still invaded and conquered.

Right now there's not a lot to go on. In the British Isles, we have the Kingdom of Angland as the main power. Due to no Roman conquest, Christian missionaries never made it to Ireland and subsequently weren't there to convert the Anglo-Saxons. Eventually, of course, they did make it, but in the modern day Angland (with a large helping of Norse influence on top of everything else) is solidly ~50% pagan, with Christians and migrant religions in the minority. Wales (here called Cymru) gained its autonomy in the last 50 years or so and has its own version of the witan to elect local officials. In the north, there is the United Kingdom of Piktland and Norway. Here, OTL Scotland became thoroughly Nordicised. Like Angland, pagans make up the plurality of the population, mostly of the Norse variety here, albeit with a Pictish twist. Finally, Ireland is also a Norsified kingdom, with its own "church", which organised and consolidated the organic original religion of the Norse into a more structured form.

In terms of weird migrations, the Franks made their way to Hispania and formed the Kingdom of the Franks, which eventually evolved into the modern-day Republic of Spania. On the other hand, other Germanic groups were pushed more forcefully into Roman Gaul, and what we see now is the Federal Republic of Galland (Gaul Land >> Galland).

The bigger blob to the east is the Moravian Republic, a Slavic entity, and also still majority pagan. The Balkans are more of a mixed bag; although I haven't finished it yet, Pannonia and Illyria are both Turkic-speaking countries, while Wallachia and the Eastern Roman Empire have been Slavicised (Valahia and Rommia). Romantic Romanian still exists in Moldova but is heavily influenced by Turkic languages.

This will be a full world map, eventually.

1635129598794.png

So I scrapped my last WIP and started something new. This map will be set in an alternate 2021 and stems from alternate migrations. The main "POD" (used loosely because I tend towards "rule of cool" rather than "hard timeline") is that the Romans never conquered Britannia, but the Anglo-Saxons still invaded and conquered.

Right now there's not a lot to go on. In the British Isles, we have the Kingdom of Angland as the main power. Due to no Roman conquest, Christian missionaries never made it to Ireland and subsequently weren't there to convert the Anglo-Saxons. Eventually, of course, they did make it, but in the modern day Angland (with a large helping of Norse influence on top of everything else) is solidly ~50% pagan, with Christians and migrant religions in the minority. Wales (here called Cymru) gained its autonomy in the last 50 years or so and has its own version of the witan to elect local officials. In the north, there is the United Kingdom of Piktland and Norway. Here, OTL Scotland became thoroughly Nordicised. Like Angland, pagans make up the plurality of the population, mostly of the Norse variety here, albeit with a Pictish twist. Finally, Ireland is also a Norsified kingdom, with its own "church", which organised and consolidated the organic original religion of the Norse into a more structured form.

In terms of weird migrations, the Franks made their way to Hispania and formed the Kingdom of the Franks, which eventually evolved into the modern-day Republic of Spania. On the other hand, other Germanic groups were pushed more forcefully into Roman Gaul, and what we see now is the Federal Republic of Galland (Gaul Land >> Galland).

The bigger blob to the east is the Moravian Republic, a Slavic entity, and also still majority pagan. The Balkans are more of a mixed bag; although I haven't finished it yet, Pannonia and Illyria are both Turkic-speaking countries, while Wallachia and the Eastern Roman Empire have been Slavicised (Valahia and Rommia). Romantic Romanian still exists in Moldova but is heavily influenced by Turkic languages.

This will be a full world map, eventually.

View attachment 690127

Interesting. IIRC, you're fond of scenarios in which the Christianization of northern and eastern Europe kinda stalls.

Interesting. IIRC, you're fond of scenarios in which the Christianization of northern and eastern Europe kinda stalls.
I am indeed. It started as a reaction to the near-ubiquitous assertation that Christianity was inevitable. A lot of people here think it's an "all or nothing" scenario, where Christianity is either the dominant religion or Jesus is smothered in the crib with no in between. Naturally I disagree with that, so a lot of my scenarios revolve around Christian states more or less being forced to accept themselves as part of a wider, more diverse religious community.

I tend to lean towards the Norse, but lately my interest has been piqued by the pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons. Preventing the Roman conquest of Britannia is the most obvious way of preventing the Christianisation, at least immediately, of England (and the theories as to why the Anglo-Saxons conquered England to begin with are vague enough to assume they would have done so even without Rome being there). Without the Romans, it's possible that Christian missions never get to Ireland, or are at least sparse enough to be less impactful, which in turn means there's less access to Britain as a whole (plus, butterflies obviously prevent the Gregorian missions).

I'm not brash enough to suggest that Christianity could be kept away indefinitely, but with more time to exchange ideas there's a chance that the pagan kingdoms could consolidate and stave off cultural destruction. If top-down conversion isn't going to work, preachers will go from the bottom-up, which is a much slower, less sure process.

For the Slavs and Balts, there were numerous ways in OTL history that these peoples might have remained pagan, at least for far longer. Russian folk traditions persisted into the 19th Century and beyond (and that's to say nothing of the Paleoasian traditions and Turkic traditions which also persisted to the modern day).

The WIP in question is also a no-Islam scenario, so it's not a total Christian-screw. I'm planning on Christianity still making significant headway in the Near East and Africa (I'm tempted to throw Persia to the Church, too, but keeping Zoroastrianism around is just so tempting).