WIP Map Thread

BTWHNewEngland.v2.png

"Bring the War Home"
New England

Last edited:
1607391954466.png

In which the Byzantine Empire survives to the modern day and world history largely follows the same path, but not really

Pictured above is the system of European alliances just prior to the opening shots of the Savoyard War

Last edited:
Europe WIP.png

This map is meant to portray Europe in my TL circa 1880-1890; I confess that it is essentially backfill from the 1810 POD, but I'm relatively satisfied with how this looks at the moment. Open to critiques, comments and questions, as this is still very much a WIP, and I've yet to move past the Americas and Europe.

Pogchamp

Banned
View attachment 606110
This map is meant to portray Europe in my TL circa 1880-1890; I confess that it is essentially backfill from the 1810 POD, but I'm relatively satisfied with how this looks at the moment. Open to critiques, comments and questions, as this is still very much a WIP, and I've yet to move past the Americas and Europe.
Not a huge fan of how convergent it is to OTL. An 1810 POD predates the Congress of Vienna, that alone should change the borders significantly

Not a huge fan of how convergent it is to OTL. An 1810 POD predates the Congress of Vienna, that alone should change the borders significantly
The 1810 POD takes place in the periphery of the periphery of the Latin American theater of the Napoleonic Wars. It would not significantly alter the course of the European theater, which was the most important theater of the war. Not saying I disagree with your critique, just explaining why the Congress of Vienna still happens.

Pogchamp

Banned
The 1810 POD takes place in the periphery of the periphery of the Latin American theater of the Napoleonic Wars. It would not significantly alter the course of the European theater, which was the most important theater of the war. Not saying I disagree with your critique, just explaining why the Congress of Vienna still happens.
Oh, I agree some sort of equivalent congress would happen, but I think it inevitably would see different politics and borders emerge.

Oh, I agree some sort of equivalent congress would happen, but I think it inevitably would see different politics and borders emerge.
What are some potential alterations that you think I should consider? The only things that I've set in "stone" so to speak (as in, I've thought of as likely outcomes of butterflies and that I want to happen as the author) are: a surviving 2nd French Empire as a result of a butterflied Franco-Prussian war; Spain's Revolución Gloriosa resulting in a longer-lasting 1st Spanish Republic; aand that's more or less it.

Pogchamp

Banned
What are some potential alterations that you think I should consider? The only things that I've set in "stone" so to speak (as in, I've thought of as likely outcomes of butterflies and that I want to happen as the author) are: a surviving 2nd French Empire as a result of a butterflied Franco-Prussian war; Spain's Revolución Gloriosa resulting in a longer-lasting 1st Spanish Republic; aand that's more or less it.
I'd argue the second empire even existing at all in the first place is a wild choice, same with the (seemingly) OTL Franco-Prussian war. You'd be just as likely to see the Restoration Monarchy last. A 1810 POD would shake up European politics to such an extent that it's almost impossible to expect these events to occur is such a similar way.

I'd argue the second empire even existing at all in the first place is a wild choice, same with the (seemingly) OTL Franco-Prussian war. You'd be just as likely to see the Restoration Monarchy last. A 1810 POD would shake up European politics to such an extent that it's almost impossible to expect these events to occur is such a similar way.
No, the Franco-Prussian war hasn't taken place. I think the 2nd Empire is a likely outcome, seeing as Louis-Napoleon got overwhelming support in both 1848 and 1852, ad maintained high levels of popular support as late as May 1870. And the similarities are only superficial at this point: I asked about potential border adjustments precisely because none of the borders are set in stone, with the biggest change I've committed to being French A-L.

Pogchamp

Banned
No, the Franco-Prussian war hasn't taken place. I think the 2nd Empire is a likely outcome, seeing as Louis-Napoleon got overwhelming support in both 1848 and 1852, ad maintained high levels of popular support as late as May 1870. And the similarities are only superficial at this point: I asked about potential border adjustments precisely because none of the borders are set in stone, with the biggest change I've committed to being French A-L.
It's unlikely he'd have the 1848 support though. Your TL seems like it has more of an 1850s POD than 1810, since I can't tell if anything prior to 1850 is different from OTL

It's unlikely he'd have the 1848 support though. Your TL seems like it has more of an 1850s POD than 1810, since I can't tell if anything prior to 1850 is different from OTL
My POD is a random thought in a minor merchant in Buenos Aires and a stray bullet in rural colonial Córdoba. It is not a European timeline though, so I've avoided making random changes that would not have been affected by the events in South America.

Pogchamp

Banned
My POD is a random thought in a minor merchant in Buenos Aires and a stray bullet in rural colonial Córdoba. It is not a European timeline though, so I've avoided making random changes that would not have been affected by the events in South America.
Everything is connected. Even a minor change in South America would start to see minor effects in Europe after a decade at most. I'd be pushed to say it would take less than 5 years from a major city like Buenos Aires. Think about it this way, if your very minor POD in South America changes things a lot in South America, why wouldn't very minor ripples from that POD in Europe affect Europe as well?

Everything is connected. Even a minor change in South America would start to see minor effects in Europe after a decade at most. I'd be pushed to say it would take less than 5 years from a major city like Buenos Aires. Think about it this way, if your very minor POD in South America changes things a lot in South America, why wouldn't very minor ripples from that POD in Europe affect Europe as well?
With all due respect, the inverse is equally true and absolutely bonkers or incomprehensibly convergent South American borders never prompt this sort of response. Europe was simply not relevant to the story I was telling so I made the authorial decision to keep changes to a minimum, that's it.

Pogchamp

Banned
With all due respect, the inverse is equally true and absolutely bonkers or incomprehensibly convergent South American borders never prompt this sort of response. Europe was simply not relevant to the story I was telling so I made the authorial decision to keep changes to a minimum, that's it.
Ah fair enough. In that case it's less a question of realism and more on of storytelling. If your aim is to tell a isolated story that's valid, I just didn't think that was the case with it being a map of Europe, my bad.

I mean while a lot of borders are kind of similar, the countries and to an extent the balance of power are interestingly altered.

1607654856426.png

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't heard of any timelines based around if the german occupation borders were just the actual military frontlines