WIP Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by B-29_Bomber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. NiGHTS Falling from hell

AH Map Presentation 2.png Thoughts?Comments?

Once, I finish Africa and Russia, I think I'll be making some adjustments to New Netherland to better reflect the Alt History(Hint: North Atlantic War), and I'll focus more on completing the legend. I'll also indicate who owns which islands, who's a nuclear power, areas of conflict, etc.

Edit: I'll also do some adjustments to Afghanistan and Indonesia*

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Etruscan-enthusiast35 master of the ancient art of schlock

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    I get an error message when I tried to click on the link.

3. NiGHTS Falling from hell

Fixed.

4. Etruscan-enthusiast35 master of the ancient art of schlock

Probably wouldn't hurt to put some subdivisions in the new world nations.

5. NiGHTS Falling from hell

Yeah, I can do that. I am already working on Mexico's divisions. The others, except for New Netherland and Canada are gonna be a pain though.

6. Etruscan-enthusiast35 master of the ancient art of schlock

You could always use the rivers worlda map to get some quick and natural internal divisions.

NiGHTS likes this.
  7. NiGHTS Falling from hell

Yeah that'll be good. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to look into those rivers.

Etruscan-enthusiast35 likes this.
  8. xmoose Well-Known Member

@NiGHTS Great Germania!Mwahaha! Is Netherland outre Mear somehow "united" with it? (nominal vassal, personal union...? or just standard alliance?) And whats that "Intermarium" east of Germany?
    Russia isn´t finished? Good.
    But some borders hurt me a little bit - those straight lines of northern Plata and Mexico (but, at least in Mexico, it is probably ok, in real... even OTL midwest/northwest borders look mostly this way)
    Similar problem I have with western borders of Germania - I would use OTL western borders of HRE, if don´t have some better idea. But thats just like my opinion, man.

9. NiGHTS Falling from hell

Yeah, I plan on fixing the Platino-Brasilian border to make it less abruptly straight. Thanks for the advice on the German border. I'll be making it more curved to put off the straightness of it, as looking at bothers me too.

Not sure what you mean by Netherland( old or new?) But, in either case, the old Netherlands was one of the main leaders in unifying this Germany, while New Netherland is an a NATO/stronger Commonwealth type situation with Germany.

The "Intermarium" is a collection of kingdoms that are allied to Germany, either out of friendship or fear, and at least Poland, Hungary, and Croatia have Hapsburgs on their thrones. They're all apart of the European Commonwealth, which is a Hapsburg led federation of European kingdoms in which Germany is effective overlord. Poland, Hungary, Croatia, and Greece(they got Istanbul from Russia thanks to Germany) are the only members that are apart of it in a happy way. The rest are just accepting of it in a grimly sort of way.

xmoose likes this.
  10. xmoose Well-Known Member

Oh, so its Habsburg Germany? I like that! :))

NiGHTS likes this.
  11. DracoLazarus Ouroborus Cataphractus

Something of a Paint It Blue bend.
    [​IMG]
    POD so far : John Lackland doesn't die of the shits.

12. Cattette Katzerin

The Kingdom of Hungary in 1891.
    [​IMG]

Alright, so this is probably my biggest project to date. It's not alt-history but it's a map nevertheless. I have a lot that I want to add in my mind but I'm making this post here in hopes of finding ideas of additions that I haven't thought about yet.

So far I'm planning to add:
    • Second level administrative divisions. I think these should work.
    • Cities for both Hungary and the rest of the map.
    • (Maybe) change how the lakes look as well as adding lakes for the areas outside of Hungary.
    • Margins with information about scale, scalebars in kilometers and miles, a color-guide for the topo elevation, title and context
    • Might add rivers. But I am not sure how to implement them in a good looking way.
    • Make another render with the paper texture on the same level as the plains. This would allow the shadows of the mountains to be cast upon the flat paper texture. Kinda like in this very rough rendition.
    Like I said if you have any other ideas of what I could add to this map feel free to tell me!

13. B_Munro Member

Nice. Out of curiosity, what projection are you using? Hungary looks a bit "flatter" than I remember from other pre-WWI maps.

14. NiGHTS Falling from hell

After a horrible war in Eurasia, the country that much of the world united against was split into two nations, one in the East and one in the West. Members of the majority Ethnic group in that nation are also forced away from lands that they previously inhabited for quite some time, and are forcibly removed to the two remains of their ethnic homeland.

Sound familiar, eh?

But, this time, it's not Germany that is split East and West.

Nope.

This time it's Russia.

And in instead of the East being poor and the West being rich, its the opposite. Western Russia is a kingdom under German vassalage that is allowed to become a mafia state where the royal family and their cronies suck up much of the nations resources and send it West, keeping all the wealth for themselves. Eastern Russia is given a Chinese version of the Marshal plan and is allowed to redevelop itself into a rather wealthy nation where the people are generally well off. The cities of Western Russia are left to be destroyed from the previous war with Russians being scattered to the country side. The opposite is true of East Russia, where people continue to become increasingly urbanized and the cities only spread further and further. Both West Russia and East Russia have immense cultural influence from Germany and China, respectively, as a result of close contact militarily and economically.

The reason for the different treatment in each side is because of how the Germans and Chinese remember the war differently. In Germany, the war was brutal as hell and was very costly, with it being the GREAT War. Greater than any war Germany has ever fought before. In China, the war is mostly remembered for allowing China to regain far off territories that were lightly populated even before Russia took them, and for the most part, the Chinese didn't have to throw much at the Russians, as they were mostly focused on fighting the Russians. It was still difficult, but it's mostly remembered for the heroism of Chinese troops in Central Asia liberating colonized peoples. In the West, people didn't want to be liberated, except the Finns, and so it was a bloody mess all around, with both sides committing wretched atrocities.

Divided Russia.png
    But, anyways, what are your guys' thoughts on what I have with Russia at this point? Central Asia and the Caucasus are what I have for my main map, but this divided Russia was something I made on a whim. And I'm thinking that I like it. I was initially going to have one Russia that showed joint Sino-German influence, but I'm kind of liking this parallel with OTL Germany enough to just keep going with it.

But, what are your opinions? Should there be two Russias, or should I leave it one?

And to make it clear; Germany isn't fascist, and China isn't communist. I just happen to like those colors. In fact, China's like the US of this world in a sense.

koa_dan and Pexa like this.
  15. B_Munro Member

A bit more progress on my "Balkanized planet..." (Yes, Iran is less fragmented than it could be. There have to be some countries other countries point at and say "wow, that's a huge country" in their lack of knowledge of OTL. :)

Balkanized.png

Kikkomaan, merkmuds, Miner and 8 others like this.
  16. 245 Well-Known Member

so are you going to fragment Iran even more? also, I miss your old word format:closedtongue:.

17. B_Munro Member

Not quite sure what you mean by that last. Those are some temporary notes to remind me who colonized what.

18. Cattette Katzerin

It's the WGS 84 projection. It's not ideal but it's too late to switch now.

19. 245 Well-Known Member

I mean the notes format on the map is different now.

20. B_Munro Member

Do you mean the numbers on the map itself, or the words? The words in notes on the complete map will be in my usual Times New Roman. I have been using Tunga for a while for the numbers on the map, since the font is legible at a smaller size, but had to switch since the current computer does not seem to support it.