WIP Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by B-29_Bomber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Used-to-be Song Chinese 新建伯兼南京兵部尚書兼都察院左都御史

I think you can take inspiration from "More of the Same" by Rvbomally (https://www.deviantart.com/rvbomally/art/More-of-the-Same-Text-Pt-1-749202919), where a post-globalisation world free from "domination" of western values and socio-political and cultural polarisation of world civilisations in a modern setting is being discussed.

Also, great map! But I wonder did the Manchu won?

Reepicheep likes this.
  2. Dr. Doom Well-Known Member

Progress marches on! And in fact, we're closing in on the end of the map (not counting writeup and annotations), unless someone is willing to posit interesting ideas for Central and South America!

West Africa has been a land in flux, with all kinds of nationalist and separatist movements breaking down the old colonial relics. We have Mandinke, Hausa, Taureg and more ethnic groups going free. But the most interesting development is that of Nigeria after the Yoruba, Hausa-Fulani, and Kanuri broke free, and the land that had formerly been Biafra now spearheaded the creation of a cosmopolitan, multiethnic African polity.

[​IMG]

3. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill Gone Fishin'

4. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman

That's a really cool idea. I'd like to know more about this scenario.

5. Dr. Doom Well-Known Member

Ditto. It's always great when people focus on Africa and Asia, Alternate History is a fairly Eurocentric fandom, and while there's nothing wrong with that, variety is the spice of life!

Reepicheep likes this.
  6. Viralworld Éirí Amach an Ghealach Donor

Was this done on a -BAM map or a basemap of your own making? I like the scale of it!

7. Drex Alférez de caballería

I simply did a series of screenshots from Google Maps.

Viralworld likes this.
  8. Ernak Master of WIP's

Apparently trying to create an alternate Romanization system using the Latin language (yes, you heard me, Latin) can make you question everything...

[​IMG]

9. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

Just to make it extra complicated, a variant of Hakka becomes the dominant Chinese language.

Ernak likes this.
  10. Ernak Master of WIP's

Oh snap. That would make it extra difficult.

The main problem I'm currently facing is substitution of Chinese sounds as well as the phonological rules, so it'll be quite some time before this bad boy is complete

11. Milites Not a sahib

So this is but a snap-shot of what I'm currently working on.

[​IMG]

Would this be a correct representation of the dioceses of England and Ireland ca. 1520? I.e. before the Henrician reformation?

12. Ernak Master of WIP's

Major cities down...every other city to go

[​IMG]

AlternateMan, KapiTod, Miner and 7 others like this.
  13. procrastinating2much Well-Known Member

For the last year I've been working on 3 maps of Britain and Ireland c. 1280. It's been utterly painful to get the topography and stuff okay, plus finding contemporary names and cities and roads and lordships and everything else that existed in the Isles at this point has been hell. BUT, after a year, I've finally combined the 3 maps into one composite map that is still not finished (apart from Scotland) but hopefully will be done soon enough!

[​IMG]
    I've kept the basemaps to show how I merged them. I wish I had discovered what QGIS was BEFORE I started drawing 9 layers of topography...

14. Ernak Master of WIP's

Is there anyone who speaks fluent Latin on the website? It is mainly to translate some pieces of text for my map, if that is alright with said persons.

Screenshot (351).png

AlternateMan and Miner like this.
  15. deleonism one of those theythemmers

SINA BOREĀLIS
    in annō
    973 A.U.C.

Capita
    Urbēs Māiōrēs
    Foederātiō Populōrum Concordium
    Urbēs Minōrēs

Mīllia Rōmāna
    Marae Sinicae*

*There are a variety of ways this could be translated, actually! It could just be Li Sinica, but I chose to do the nerd thing and make it a borrowing from [the Baxter–Sagart reconstruction of] Old Chinese, which was /*(mə.)rəʔ/. This is Latinized to mara, a first declension feminine noun, and then pluralized appropriately. If you wanted a sort of middle ground, you could make the borrowing from modern Mandarin instead (anachronistic as that is), and have it be lium, a second-declension neuter noun, pluralized as liī and fully as Liī Sinica. You could also be really boring and translate it simply as Mīlia Sinica ("Chinese miles"), but there's no fun in that :p

16. Ernak Master of WIP's

Thank you very much! I appreciate it deeply. If I need any more translations, I'll PM you on these matters. But once again, thank you very much for these. This will provide more depth/realism to my map

deleonism likes this.
  17. Bennett Human Time-Waster

hey gamers i am straight-up not having a good time right now because, while working on a map in PDN last night, i forgot to take note of what fonts i was using. now that im working on it again today, i realize that i have no idea what the font was, and i swear to god this font doesn't exist.
    upload_2019-7-3_23-52-59.png
    it was most likely set at 8-pixel size, if anyone could help identify this font it's be greatly appreciated. Thank you

18. Scipio Africanus Major Member

Hey, do you have the basemap you've used for this project ? I have been looking for a Worlda with national subdivisions for some time

19. Xianfeng Emperor Amateur Iran-o-phile

A map for July 4th:
    AMerican Civil War.png

20. Ten Thousand Red Lakes Member

A chunk of the world map for an idea that I had.
    Ethanemapsnippet.png