WIP Map Thread

unknown.png

Hey, it's your boy. Here is a WIP for a larger Europe map. This is supposed to take place after a weird equivalent to WW2 in which Hungary is the big fascist power, but since the POD is in 1848 (not in the way you'd expect) the whole thing is a bit hard to explain in a WIP post.

Any feedback would be lit.

unknown.png

Hey, it's your boy. Here is a WIP for a larger Europe map. This is supposed to take place after a weird equivalent to WW2 in which Hungary is the big fascist power, but since the POD is in 1848 (not in the way you'd expect) the whole thing is a bit hard to explain in a WIP post.

Any feedback would be lit.
Is the POD that the German revolution succeeds?

Metaverse Redux.png

Okay, I really hate myself.

Every time I tell myself I'm done with this map, I go back and change some small thing.

uuuuuugh.

Welp, this is the map in its current situation.

PoD? Rather ASB. Y2K comes to light, in a rather strange way. A meteor breaks up over space and bombards the northern hemisphere, the largest chunk of which cuts a huge swath through New York. The ensuing Great Recession is vastly more impactful than OTL's 2008 burster, but still less destructive than 1929.

42 years later, the world is apprehensive.

Oh, and did I mention that superpowers exist now?

Last edited:
Okay, I really hate myself.

Every time I tell myself I'm done with this map, I go back and change some small thing.

uuuuuugh.

Welp, this is the map in its current situation.

Oh really?

Try working on one map for over a year. And then try not to loose it when the hard drive on your new laptop kicks the bucket taking the laptop with it, and loosing you 6 weeks of work on said map in the process.

Fortunately, I didn't loose much (uni exams kept me distracted for most of last month), and as I'd only mapped those regions a week or two before, the memories of borders and subdivisions I'd drawn were still fresh, and I was able to re draw those sections mostly from memory, which limited the loss somewhat, though the loss still rankles. The most infuriating thing is that I was planning to post the part I ultimately lost on the map thread the very day my laptop died. If that damned laptop had lasted just a day longer, I'd've posted the region I was most pleased with that day, then just re-download it from the site a few days later from my old laptop once I realised the problem on the new one was permanent. Oh well, what can you do.

So here, have my best approximation for what a part of the (ITTL practically former by this point) US looked like before all my progress on it was lost, pending a few border tweaks to make it look a little more like the original I remember;
upload_2019-6-26_0-34-15.png

Backstory for why there's a big 'ol communist state in the US rust belt (and associated puppets in Kentucky and Iowa) will come when I finally get round to actually posting the overall map and kicking off the TL, though when that happens I can't tell you.

Oh really?

Try working on one map for over a year. And then try not to loose it when the hard drive on your new laptop kicks the bucket taking the laptop with it, and loosing you 6 weeks of work on said map in the process.

Fortunately, I didn't loose much (uni exams kept me distracted for most of last month), and as I'd only mapped those regions a week or two before, the memories of borders and subdivisions I'd drawn were still fresh, and I was able to re draw those sections mostly from memory, which limited the loss somewhat, though the loss still rankles. The most infuriating thing is that I was planning to post the part I ultimately lost on the map thread the very day my laptop died. If that damned laptop had lasted just a day longer, I'd've posted the region I was most pleased with that day, then just re-download it from the site a few days later from my old laptop once I realised the problem on the new one was permanent. Oh well, what can you do.

So here, have my best approximation for what a part of the (ITTL practically former by this point) US looked like before all my progress on it was lost, pending a few border tweaks to make it look a little more like the original I remember;
View attachment 468021

Backstory for why there's a big 'ol communist state in the US rust belt (and associated puppets in Kentucky and Iowa) will come when I finally get round to actually posting the overall map and kicking off the TL, though when that happens I can't tell you.
i didn't ask about your TL you reptile

what is this smooth finessery

explode.png

Eh, I had that post mostly written up and saw and admittedly lazy way to tie it in to the post above it.

Got mildly annoyed seeing someone complain about constantly adding things to a map when I've been doing that for months, and decided to respond.

Eh, I had that post mostly written up and saw and admittedly lazy way to tie it in to the post above it.

Got mildly annoyed seeing someone complain about constantly adding things to a map when I've been doing that for months, and decided to respond.
but did i ever tell you that i spent two years working on this worlda, before finally porting it to this better version?

From a map where I was doing some scratchwork for other maps, but I decided to post it in case the Africa inspires anyone. The idea/color scheme for the East African Superstate comes from B_Munro and Zompist, but all the work is my own.

The map's year is 2070 AD (with a 1980 POD), and the century following the POD was pathbreaking in many respects. Sub-Saharan Africa grew by leaps and bounds, particularly the East. New religious and nationalist movements collided with the bizarre borders and regimes left by Europe, and many ethnic groups won homelands of their own (eg Azande, Xhosa, Ovimbundu, etc.)

But the star of the show is the Republic of East Africa and the larger African Union. This began as a Tanzania-led Swahili economic and military collective, but later rose grew to encompass large chunks of Africa. Its constituent states range from manufacturing behemoths to agrarian backwaters, from dynamic democracies to despotates living off first-mover advantage. Ironically, though the project was Tanzania's brainchild, its biggest boosters are in the Interlacustrine region, as they benefit the most from military protection and maritime trade ties.

One thing to note is that the precolumbian trade networks have been reconstituted. Trade routes from Mombasa to Kozhikode, from Zanzibar to Shanghai, are the order of the day.

UTz1fVE.png

It feels like forever since I've made a map! It is good to be back at it. Here is something I've worked on today, hoping to complete by the end of the week if I can manage to think of something to do with the New World, Oceania and Sub-Saharan Africa. Consider this a bit of 1700s-punk/Clash of Civilizations-punk but for a specific purpose.

The premise behind this map is based on a topic my lecturer for International Relations brought up a couple of months ago. He discussed very briefly the idea of a Sino-centric, tributary based international system not founded on the Westphalian/European idea of sovereignty, non-interference and nation-states. That led me to ask what would be the consequences of a modern, globalized world that consisted of more than solely the Western style international system. How would these systems work/interact? A question on what the Sino-centric system consisted of was in the exam, so it brought me back to the idea.

Hope you enjoy the sneak peek, and if you've got any ideas for the New World, please let me know! I'm still questioning whether to have colonialism exist or not. I'd prefer to avoid it, but then I'm not sure how to construct the rest of the world.

I think you can take inspiration from "More of the Same" by Rvbomally (https://www.deviantart.com/rvbomally/art/More-of-the-Same-Text-Pt-1-749202919), where a post-globalisation world free from "domination" of western values and socio-political and cultural polarisation of world civilisations in a modern setting is being discussed.

Also, great map! But I wonder did the Manchu won?

Progress marches on! And in fact, we're closing in on the end of the map (not counting writeup and annotations), unless someone is willing to posit interesting ideas for Central and South America!

West Africa has been a land in flux, with all kinds of nationalist and separatist movements breaking down the old colonial relics. We have Mandinke, Hausa, Taureg and more ethnic groups going free. But the most interesting development is that of Nigeria after the Yoruba, Hausa-Fulani, and Kanuri broke free, and the land that had formerly been Biafra now spearheaded the creation of a cosmopolitan, multiethnic African polity.

fkLcjCA.png