WIP Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by B-29_Bomber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. KapiTod Fuhrerreich was my idea!

I mean they could have that sort of building aesthetic.

But they're the primary gold exporters, seemingly in the world. Same as Mali was in a similar period in our own time.

Dr. Doom likes this.
  2. Dr. Doom Well-Known Member

Progress marches on! And in fact, I've completely revamped a part of the map.

I originally had a Japan-UAR alliance (that itself began as the Japan-Turkey alliance from Friedman's book) but I've changed it to a Indonesia-UAR alliance. It fulfills largely the same role, having control over trade through Suez/Mandeb/Molucca. They don't have much in terms of naval or financial power, but they do have land for tons of anti-ship missiles.

They are opposed by the powers looking to secure trade through the straits, eg India, China, Australia, Vietnam, and the EU. Japan is a wild card, a militarized menace that will partner with any country or faction to get ahead.

---

I am too lazy to redo Africa for every map, so I am shamelessly cannibalizing my own WIPs. Nationalist and pan-nationalist African movements are a recurring theme in my work.

[​IMG]

3. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

[​IMG]

Hey, it's your boy. Here is a WIP for a larger Europe map. This is supposed to take place after a weird equivalent to WW2 in which Hungary is the big fascist power, but since the POD is in 1848 (not in the way you'd expect) the whole thing is a bit hard to explain in a WIP post.

Any feedback would be lit.

4. AK47Productions Show me your true form!

[​IMG]

This little side project has been me trying to regain my creativity following a... let's call it personal slump. I think it's working. I'll take questions.

Coming real soon.

5. APeninSpace Pretty sure I'm the only sapient pen on the board

Is the POD that the German revolution succeeds?

6. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Quite the opposite; the POD is an earlier Communist Manifesto affecting the revolutionaries, resulting in more (but overall smaller) revolts across Europe.

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  7. Ernak Master of WIP's

Just wondering, but does anyone here speak fluent Guarani?

[​IMG]

8. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill Gone Fishin'

Cross-posting from the main thread:

AlternateMan and Crying like this.
  9. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    italy.png
    I have way to many low quality things collecting digital dust.

10. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
    A Texas and Russia wank.

texaswank.png

11. Tethys00 Dirty fucking SocDem Donor

Great Salt Lake City, The Republic of Deseret
    Tomislav Addai, Crying, Miner and 3 others like this.
  12. Prof_Chemical Well-Known Member

13. FesteringSpore Birthday Wisher

Metaverse Redux.png

Okay, I really hate myself.

Every time I tell myself I'm done with this map, I go back and change some small thing.

uuuuuugh.

Welp, this is the map in its current situation.

PoD? Rather ASB. Y2K comes to light, in a rather strange way. A meteor breaks up over space and bombards the northern hemisphere, the largest chunk of which cuts a huge swath through New York. The ensuing Great Recession is vastly more impactful than OTL's 2008 burster, but still less destructive than 1929.

42 years later, the world is apprehensive.

Oh, and did I mention that superpowers exist now?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. Tanystropheus42 permanently sleep deprived

Oh really?

Try working on one map for over a year. And then try not to loose it when the hard drive on your new laptop kicks the bucket taking the laptop with it, and loosing you 6 weeks of work on said map in the process.

Fortunately, I didn't loose much (uni exams kept me distracted for most of last month), and as I'd only mapped those regions a week or two before, the memories of borders and subdivisions I'd drawn were still fresh, and I was able to re draw those sections mostly from memory, which limited the loss somewhat, though the loss still rankles. The most infuriating thing is that I was planning to post the part I ultimately lost on the map thread the very day my laptop died. If that damned laptop had lasted just a day longer, I'd've posted the region I was most pleased with that day, then just re-download it from the site a few days later from my old laptop once I realised the problem on the new one was permanent. Oh well, what can you do.

So here, have my best approximation for what a part of the (ITTL practically former by this point) US looked like before all my progress on it was lost, pending a few border tweaks to make it look a little more like the original I remember;
    upload_2019-6-26_0-34-15.png

Backstory for why there's a big 'ol communist state in the US rust belt (and associated puppets in Kentucky and Iowa) will come when I finally get round to actually posting the overall map and kicking off the TL, though when that happens I can't tell you.

15. FesteringSpore Birthday Wisher

i didn't ask about your TL you reptile

what is this smooth finessery

[​IMG]

16. Tanystropheus42 permanently sleep deprived

Eh, I had that post mostly written up and saw and admittedly lazy way to tie it in to the post above it.

Got mildly annoyed seeing someone complain about constantly adding things to a map when I've been doing that for months, and decided to respond.

17. FesteringSpore Birthday Wisher

but did i ever tell you that i spent two years working on this worlda, before finally porting it to this better version?

18. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

ok let’s stop the arguing please

MrMonsterGuy18 likes this.
  19. Dr. Doom Well-Known Member

From a map where I was doing some scratchwork for other maps, but I decided to post it in case the Africa inspires anyone. The idea/color scheme for the East African Superstate comes from B_Munro and Zompist, but all the work is my own.

The map's year is 2070 AD (with a 1980 POD), and the century following the POD was pathbreaking in many respects. Sub-Saharan Africa grew by leaps and bounds, particularly the East. New religious and nationalist movements collided with the bizarre borders and regimes left by Europe, and many ethnic groups won homelands of their own (eg Azande, Xhosa, Ovimbundu, etc.)

But the star of the show is the Republic of East Africa and the larger African Union. This began as a Tanzania-led Swahili economic and military collective, but later rose grew to encompass large chunks of Africa. Its constituent states range from manufacturing behemoths to agrarian backwaters, from dynamic democracies to despotates living off first-mover advantage. Ironically, though the project was Tanzania's brainchild, its biggest boosters are in the Interlacustrine region, as they benefit the most from military protection and maritime trade ties.

One thing to note is that the precolumbian trade networks have been reconstituted. Trade routes from Mombasa to Kozhikode, from Zanzibar to Shanghai, are the order of the day.

[​IMG]

20. Drex Alférez de caballería

Yikes, Spanish Australia.
    upload_2019-6-28_15-51-29.png