WIP Map Thread

unknown.png

This is nothing interesting, just a small attempt at making "smooth" topography with QGIS, If you download a height map from STRM or GMTED and apply a colour to it the result is "too accurate", it's rugged and doesn't always look good, especialy if you want to make a less professional looking map.
So instead i exported several raster pictures with QGIS each with a black and white picture for each elevation level (0-100m, 100-200m...) then inserted them in inkscape and put them on top of each other, then i used the vectorize a raster option to vectorize them (note that directly vectorizing a coloured heightmap often gives bad results), i did this for each level then applied the "smoothing" effect to each vector shape, thenapplied a colour.
This took 5 min of downloading from STRM and 20 min of fiddling around, it shouldn't take too much more time for a larger map, STRM data can take a long time to donload but 75m GMTED data are nearly as accurate and much quicker to download, so i'm sure one could make a similar map on the scale of a continent in less than half an hour.

Feeling cute, might delete later...

Seriously though, I wanted to do a far-future map (2150), that maintains some continuities with the past, but also some breaks. One such break is the destruction of the Saudi regime, accompanied by Iran reaching heights not seen since the Safavids, and utterly dominating the MENA petroleum trade. The other is Egypt also attacking its Saudi rival, claiming the Holy cities, forming a United Arab Republic, and heading the African Union (a loose but large supranational organization in charge of trade and development).

For that matter, the African Union is actually very connected to the core of Europe, and the early-21st century view of "Europe" and "Africa" being two discrete entities is increasingly outmoded.

Asia is split between the two hegemons, China and India. China's bloc is of course the larger and wealthier. But India punches above its weight because of its logistical advantage, its control of Indian Ocean maritime trade, and its strong allies (Japan and Vietnam).

WMn9NPV.png

Finally, a map where Vietnam doesn't become a Chinese puppet.

On another note, here is a WIP for a Westeros in the far-future, having industrialized (with DRAGONS, though as industrialization has gone on, magic is waning from the world again- the Targaryen Kingdom of Westeros only has five ATM, due to dying out and wars, y'know) Currently the Targaryen Kingdom is locked with Braavos in a neverending border war for influence.

Industrialized Westeros.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Working on this lil' baby planet to practice my topography and tectonics. Started out with some rough tectonics, worked the continent to that, now I'm onto the topography and I've had some thoughts regarding how the climate and civilisation might evolve.
The middle bottom peninsular would be a bit like India, abundant and densely populated, particularly with the mountain chain to the east (the largest on the planet, I suspect) irrigating it. However, unlike our India their western border will be largely plains and lowlands (as the supercontinent is parting here) rather than forbidding Afghanistan, which would give it a history of invasions and migrations from the west that didn't happen as much IOTL. On the other side of the mountain you'd basically have China, with a large western desert and a hot, humid coast, albeit even wetter, sitting on the equator. The north would be prairie or steppe I think? I think the west would look a lot like Africa, with a large jungle flanked by two deserts in the north and south.

Thoughts?

Lil babba planet.png

New England Prev.png

A little something I started working on today. It won't be a massive project, and the aesthetic will be textbook-y... I hope it'll be fun!

Industrialized Westeros.png

Planetos is so much easier to map out than Earth....

...still have a little bit to clean up though, like that purple thing to the south of the Thousand Islands.

EDIT: That’s Nefer, City of Necromancers apparently.

Map of alliances, May 2142.
9n7GgmN.png

The world is divided across a spectrum. Pro-India, leaning-India, Neutrals and Rogues, leaning-China, and Pro-China.
Advice wanted: What should I do to make the alliances more clear? I feel like the map does not portray this very well.