WIP Map Thread

Working on a future history scenario where the United Nations adds a Parliament, with districts of 100 million people. It's coming along well but I wanted to share this.

2075_Parliament.png

I have completed 30 districts, with 30 more to go[1]. East Asia is that dense.

[1] World population by the time the story is set has fallen to ~6 billion, mainly due to some big demographic shifts in South and East Asia (Europe and the Americas had similar issues but made up for it with immigration).

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
Working on a Republic of England and Wales and I'm trying to choose an alternate capital to London, and have found myself at a personal impasse, so why not trust democracy? I've made a straw poll with the two options I've narrowed it down to: Oxford or Birmingham. You can vote here! Thanks in advance!

The Republic of England and Wales.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Why not Winchester?

Well, I've had just about every other English city suggested to me from York to Cambridge to Bristol to Manchester to Chelmsford to the village of Weeton, so your guess is as good as mine. But if I were to have a go at it, it's a bit too far south really.

Well, I've had just about every other English city suggested to me from York to Cambridge to Bristol to Manchester to Chelmsford to the village of Weeton, so your guess is as good as mine. But if I were to have a go at it, it's a bit too far south really.
What kind of republicans are they? Because if they were Jacobin-inspired, at least, I'd go for Birmingham. If not it might be a tossup.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Quick and dirty electoral map based on Jefferson's proposal for the western territories, I dunno exactly what kind of election this is (Presidential, HoR, Senate, etc.) and I'm unsure whether to put in the electoral college but I like what I've got so far. I may need to ask for help if I go the Electoral College route as I have no idea how that works.

Couple notes:
- Christian Democrats are more accurately 'Catholic' Democrats, and have dominated the Yankee states (sans Vermont) for decades. Rhode Island was an upset this election. Sit pretty squarely in the middle of the political spectrum economically, and are usually the largest party in the federal legislature, though this is but a plurality.
- Slavery was abolished peacefully, meaning no Confederacy, no Lost Causers and so less racial division, more solidarity among workers and farmers and so a political niche emerged that a traditional labor party could exploit. Unions are much stronger in this timeline.
- Neither major party has a real monopoly on social policy, and there are both socially liberal and conservative wings in Labor-Farmer and the Christian Democrats. The Liberals are the only party which is dominated by the socially progressive.
- The Liberals are a party for the US' urban centers, and are a bit like a more competent Lib Dems. They've always dominated New York but have only recently wormed their way into Virginia via Richond and Hampton Roads (both of which are bigger than IOTL), much to the chagrin of Virginia's western counties.
- Suburbs aren't really a thing in this world, in large part due to land being more precious and towns are more Dutch or German by design. This has had some knock-on effects for politics; namely inner cities aren't widely considered (in oh so few words) 'black poverty traps'.
- Geer is derived from the Wolof word Géer, meaning 'freeborn'. Geer is an African American dominated party with an ecological streak. There was no northern migration, but there was a migration to Mississippi (and subsequently an exodus of whites) and it is today the only African American majority state. In the deep south the Christian Democrats basically have no presence so it's mostly a battle between Labor-Farmers and Geer.

Jeffersons_Union.png

Skallagrim

Banned
Quick and dirty electoral map based on Jefferson's proposal for the western territories

Interesting parties, nicely different from OTL, but anything really right-of-centre seems suspiciously absent. A scenario where alt-USA politics are more to the left can easily be imagined, but pretty much every single European social democracy in OTL still has a significant centre-right party. And the Liberals ("a bit like a more competent Lib Dems") really don't qualify for that position. Based on the general nature of the other parties, there's serious room for a significant more-or-less conservative, more-or-less classical liberal party. There is no really credible reason why such a thing shouldn't exist. The natural electorate for such a faction can't just evaporate, after all. Such a party should reasonably exist, and should in fact be the third major party (with the Liberals and Geer as minor parties).

As it is, I have to say this comes across a bit like progressive/liberal wish fulfillment, and it's rather less believable as a work of AH because of that.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Interesting parties, nicely different from OTL, but anything really right-of-centre seems suspiciously absent. A scenario where alt-USA politics are more to the left can easily be imagined, but pretty much every single European social democracy in OTL still has a significant centre-right party. And the Liberals ("a bit like a more competent Lib Dems") really don't qualify for that position. Based on the general nature of the other parties, there's serious room for a significant more-or-less conservative, more-or-less classical liberal party. There is no really credible reason why such a thing shouldn't exist. The natural electorate for such a faction can't just evaporate, after all. Such a party should reasonably exist, and should in fact be the third major party (with the Liberals and Geer as minor parties).

As it is, I have to say this comes across a bit like progressive/liberal wish fulfillment, and it's rather less believable as a work of AH because of that.

Considering I’m more socially and economically conservative than most people on this site I’d be careful about making such spurious accusations. This kind of map is actually fairly unique among my portfolio for that reason, as most of my work has a significantly more rightward axis. It is true that this America’s overton window is further left, and that I’m still workshopping it, but I am keenly aware of the socially and economically conservative voter and how they fit into this political equation. But thank you for your concern.

Skallagrim

Banned
Considering I’m more socially and economically conservative than most people on this site I’d be careful about making such spurious accusations. This kind of map is actually fairly unique among my portfolio for that reason, as most of my work has a significantly more rightward axis. It is true that this America’s overton window is further left, and that I’m still workshopping it, but I am keenly aware of the socially and economically conservative voter and how they fit into this political equation. But thank you for your concern.

It's not an accusation; just an observation on plausibility. I just noticed that, unless there's some major factor at work here that you haven't disclosed yet, there appears to be a rather noticable 'gap' in the political spectrum you present on the map. If I saw a scenario with a(n apparently fully democratic) multi-party USA that features no real political presence to the left of what we might call "blue dog Democrats", I'd point out that that seems a bit like conservative wish fullfillment.

Anyway, your maps and scenarios are typically high-quality, and you seem to have interpreted my comment in a much more negative way than the one in which it was intended. I assume the fault lies with my wording. My remarks were meant to be helpful, and I look forward to seeing how you ultimately put this whole scenario together.

Tinkering around with a 1960 ISOT of communist nations set 150-200 years later. Feeling kinda overwhelmed and looking for various ideas specifically with China because it is an area I lack knowledge about. Would an independent Tibet/ East Turkestan be plausible? Any other thoughts or ideas welcome before I start diving deep into it.
tffPh2t.png

Tinkering around with a 1960 ISOT of communist nations set 150-200 years later. Feeling kinda overwhelmed and looking for various ideas specifically with China because it is an area I lack knowledge about. Would an independent Tibet/ East Turkestan be plausible? Any other thoughts or ideas welcome before I start diving deep into it.
tffPh2t.png

A few ideas;

1. I think it is obvious that North Korea retkaes the south, but I imagine that it doesn't devolve as bad as it does
  2. Expect the cold war to still be a thing, but a sino-soviet cold war. China doesn't have nukes yet, but they made them in 1964 OTL, so the Russian likely won't have a huge head start.
  3. Mongolia likely becomes a neutral buffer state that isn't in either sphere of influence.
  4. Yugoslavia likely continues to be apart from the Russia sphere (maybe even siding with China?)

The main issue is definitely going to be the Sino-Soviet Cold War. Best-case scenario, nothing happens, detente sets in, and the world sees some democratic reforms. Worst-case scenario, full-on nuclear war between the two powers. Somewhere in between is a sliding scale of bad.

If China ends up the loser in any Sino-Soviet War (or it's a nuclear exchange and both sides lose), then yeah, you could see some breakaway states.

A few ideas;

Cold war was at the front of my mind. I did have an idea with the Soviets losing control of influence in Eastern Europe over time. Probably later than OTL with a NATO like alliance forming centered on Poland.. Another is a more violent collapse of Yugoslavia that spits out many minor states and communes.

The main issue...

Yea it is definitely is not a happy well developed world I have set out to make. I really wanted to try something kinda dark and see what happens.

China OTL didn't detonate it's first nuclear weapon until 1964, and didn't deploy missiles capable of reliably reaching Moscow until the late 70s: even if the Soviets don't immediately take a NO NUKES FOR YOU hard line, the Chinese will probably need a couple decades to be in a position to really wreck European Russia. (Don't know how much Chinese technological progress will be retarded when cut off from any source of tech knowledge they can buy, borrow, or steal other than the Warsaw Pact itself).