WIP Map Thread

Provinces of an alt-Lotharingia-Burgundy. Still debating to myself whether I want to keep it as is and just refine the borders or to unleash my inner Charles by adding in Picardy, Burgundy proper, Champagne, and Savoy.
There provinces are far too small. They are also too compact.

Added speculative coasts in northern hemisphere, India, west-central Asia, NE China, including the great wall.

Alexis Jaillot 1708 28e k7b.jpg

There provinces are far too small. They are also too compact.

Really? What makes you say that? I used the provinces of the Netherlands and Belgium as the basis for the province sizes. I also largely stuck to the borders of the medieval duchies and counties that made up the areas. I suppose that, when placed in a large country, it makes them look rather small. Not to mention that I haven't exactly defined how much power each province has, or whether they exist in a larger regional structure...

That said, are you advocating for larger administrative units like German and French regions?

Really? What makes you say that? I used the provinces of the Netherlands and Belgium as the basis for the province sizes. I also largely stuck to the borders of the medieval duchies and counties that made up the areas. I suppose that, when placed in a large country, it makes them look rather small. Not to mention that I haven't exactly defined how much power each province has, or whether they exist in a larger regional structure...

That said, are you advocating for larger administrative units like German and French regions?
What time period are we talking? As you mentioned it as Burgundy-Lortharngia, I would say this would have a lot of old duchies, prince-bishoprics, etc within it. Your map seems based too much on modern boundaries, as I can see you ache even kept both Brabant around. Seems more likely they would be combined, and Antwerp would either be separate or it would be the capital of the region. It partially comes down to when this conglomeration started, and if they kept lands for ages, or regained them later. And the political landscape, of course. There were counties, duchies, numerous land generalities/city states, church lands... it may seem like slicing them all up into compact sizes would be easy, but you would be talking about areas that have had different rulers, policies, and systems of government. I also imagine a state with all this land wuold try to reclaim more from the sea. Not so much for more farmland, as to avoid saltwater flooding the area, destroying crops, roads, and ports.

What time period are we talking? As you mentioned it as Burgundy-Lortharngia, I would say this would have a lot of old duchies, prince-bishoprics, etc within it. Your map seems based too much on modern boundaries, as I can see you ache even kept both Brabant around. Seems more likely they would be combined, and Antwerp would either be separate or it would be the capital of the region. It partially comes down to when this conglomeration started, and if they kept lands for ages, or regained them later. And the political landscape, of course. There were counties, duchies, numerous land generalities/city states, church lands... it may seem like slicing them all up into compact sizes would be easy, but you would be talking about areas that have had different rulers, policies, and systems of government. I also imagine a state with all this land wuold try to reclaim more from the sea. Not so much for more farmland, as to avoid saltwater flooding the area, destroying crops, roads, and ports.

I'm thinking it's a more modern map, perhaps not quite yet where they were reclaiming Flevoland, but they've definitely done a reorganization of the provinces as before they were more messy and very medieval. They've been together since at least the 1400s, plenty of time for the Burgundian monarch to centralize his territories. I mean, Germany basically did the same thing in far less years with the multiple states and governments. I've kept as many of the lands intact as possible (the Three Bishoprics was a challenge by itself) though I've split a few based on cultural differences and if a city was big enough. Antwerp (AN) is separate from South and North Brabant, unless you meant just the city proper.

I'm thinking it's a more modern map, perhaps not quite yet where they were reclaiming Flevoland, but they've definitely done a reorganization of the provinces as before they were more messy and very medieval. They've been together since at least the 1400s, plenty of time for the Burgundian monarch to centralize his territories. I mean, Germany basically did the same thing in far less years with the multiple states and governments. I've kept as many of the lands intact as possible (the Three Bishoprics was a challenge by itself) though I've split a few based on cultural differences and if a city was big enough. Antwerp (AN) is separate from South and North Brabant, unless you meant just the city proper.
I know Antwerp is separate, but that only really happened administratively after the Dutch Revolution. It was part of made me realize how much this is based in the modern internal boundaries. And I wasn't thinking of reclaiming land in the form of Flevoland. I was more thinking about the dikes building up Holland and protecting Zealand. Many of the maps of the period I looked up showed Holland as being a bit more solid than in your map. Understandable issue, since the Netherlands is one of the view countries that has such drastically different coastlines between centuries. As for your thing about Germany, you are going to need to specify. Do you mean the mediatization? The expansion of Prussia? The Nazis and their gaus? Or do you mean after WWII? In all cases, violence and overwhelming force was used by multiple parties. If this is so, it should probably get a nod in the writeup.

This is a(n entirely unauthorized) cover of @SRegan's map Kion la Imperiestro faru por ni?, though it also takes a great deal of inspiration from Liberal World by the same. I didn't really have a POD in mind, as I could find no indication of one in the scenario itself, but I've tried to follow the scenario as much as possible, excepting a mentioned territorial dispute between "Greece and Zapadoslavia" which doesn't make much sense: Zapadoslavia would be a West Slavic country (hence the name), and I don't expect what's essentially Czechoslovakia+Polish Galicia to share a border with Greece. So there's both a Zapadoslavia and a Yugoslavia, the latter of which is the focus of the territorial dispute with Greece concerning the area of Greater Macedonia.
What Has The Emperor Done For Us.png

This is a(n entirely unauthorized) cover of @SRegan's map Kion la Imperiestro faru por ni?, though it also takes a great deal of inspiration from Liberal World by the same. I didn't really have a POD in mind, as I could find no indication of one in the scenario itself, but I've tried to follow the scenario as much as possible, excepting a mentioned territorial dispute between "Greece and Zapadoslavia" which doesn't make much sense: Zapadoslavia would be a West Slavic country (hence the name), and I don't expect what's essentially Czechoslovakia+Polish Galicia to share a border with Greece. So there's both a Zapadoslavia and a Yugoslavia, the latter of which is the focus of the territorial dispute with Greece concerning the area of Greater Macedonia.
View attachment 414267

That is one miserable looking East Prussia

Aaaaand... I’m back.

I’ve been lying low recently while I work on a Q-BAM map of the modern-day world in an alternate timeline (obviously). The POD is 1696 in the southern Indian Ocean; my previous map is set in this universe. The rest you have to guess. It’s probably a bit unlikely, but it’s a setting that I would definitely like to explore further - and maybe even (with some modifications) turn into a fully-fledged TL, if you lot are as interested as I am. So without further ado...

882FEABB-3923-448A-AA16-70C4413A7C62.png

Thoughts? Questions?

Aaaaand... I’m back.

I’ve been lying low recently while I work on a Q-BAM map of the modern-day world in an alternate timeline (obviously). The POD is 1696 in the southern Indian Ocean; my previous map is set in this universe. The rest you have to guess. It’s probably a bit unlikely, but it’s a setting that I would definitely like to explore further - and maybe even (with some modifications) turn into a fully-fledged TL, if you lot are as interested as I am. So without further ado...

View attachment 414297

Thoughts? Questions?

What’s that dark purple nation snaking up the coast of the Levant? Also what’s the situation in Northern Ireland? Great map by the way, most of the borders are nice and clean.

Getting burnt out on my LER timeline for a while, so I decided to research into Microstates and rediscovered the Republic of Indian Stream. So I figured why not and began to rework my Between Giants timeline based more around Neutral Moresnet. Still have to do the township coloring, and a ton of rivers in Colebrook and Upper Hampshire.

View attachment 414267
This is approaching peak worlda aesthetics (especially balkanized Africa/India:love:)

lotharingiawip2.PNG

Expanded on my Lotharingia-Burgundy map. Had something along the lines of Philip the Good not switching sides on the English and nabbing occupied parts of Champagne and Picardy. Later descendants inherited Julich-Cleves-Berg and gained some other territories from France and Savoy. Color-coded the provinces by regions as well.

Frisia: FR-Friesland; GR-Groningen; OF-Oost Friesland
Overijssel: OI-Overijssel; BN-Bentheim; ZT-Zutphen
Holland: NH-Noord Holland; ZH-Zuid Holland; UT-Utrecht; GE-Gelre
Flanders: OV-Oost Vlaanderen; WV-West Vlaanderen; ZE- Zeeland
Brabant: NB-Noord Brabant; ZB-Zuid Brabant; AN- Antwerp; LO-Loon; LM-Limburg
Lower Rhine: KL-Klefve; OG-Opper Gelders; JU-Julich; KO-Koln; BG-Berg; MK-Mark; DM-Dortmund
Picardy: PO-Ponthieu; VM-Vermandois; AR-Artois; TO-Tournais
Wallonia: CM-Cambrai; HN-Hainaut; NM-Namur; LG-Liege; WL- Walloon Luxembourg; RE-Rethelois
Middle Rhine: KB-Koblenz; OL-Ost Luxemburg; TR-Trier; SA-Saarbrucken
Champagne: SO-Soissons; RE-Reims; CH-Chalons; TY-Troyes; LA-Langres
Lorraine: BR-Bar; VR-Verdun; MZ-Metz; TL-Toul; LO-Lorraine
Alsace: ZW-Zweibrucken; HG-Hagenau; SB-Strassburg; KM-Kolmar; SU-Sundgau
Burgundy: AX-Auxerreois; NV-Nivernais; BU-Bourguignon; CR-Charolais
Arpitania: FC-Franch-Comte; BS-Besancon; BL-Basel; VD-Vaud; BR-Bresse; LY-Lyonnais