WIP Map Thread

Isaac Beach

Banned
For a very long time I've wanted to attempt my own version of @B_Munro's Old World map, and I finally decided to doodle some very basic ideas. As in Bruce's version, the Americas, southern Africa and Australia (As well as all of Oceania) are sunken. Mine differs in that I've kept the highest peaks of the Americas as archipelagos, so it's not a perfect cover. I've also got some similar themes as the POD is the same; Columbus sails west and finds nothing, he doesn't sail far enough to see the 'Rockies Archipelago' before turning tail to Spain. So that means an early fall of the Hapsburgs and a wacky Reformation. It diverges from there, however.
Some other power; either Portugal, England or France, end up discovering the shrunken New World. That'll led to a much more concentrated rush on the few isles available and an even more competitive -and bloody- Europe. I'm debating whether to have a united western isles (a mini-US, if you will) or have it divided among former European colonies.

Blank world map.png

A smaller map being done in relation to the Pax Britannica QBAM: one detailing the German Wars.
Could you provide me a blank baseman for the above? I've seen it around here and there, but haven't been able to get my hands on it.

It's (almost) a map!
tas.png

Working on this at the moment for a (slightly implausible) scenario that's been floating around my head for ages.
Let's see how it turns out...

Last edited:
That is my beautiful home state of Tasmania. What’s the scenario? Surviving Palawa state? Dutch Van Diemen’s Land?

I hope I can do it justice. I just got back from a trip there and felt it needed a bit more AH love.
The scenario is much closer to the latter, but not quite.
(I couldn't do a surviving Palawa map better than your Kingdom at the Bottom of the World one anyway)

Isaac Beach

Banned
I hope I can do it justice. I just got back from a trip there and felt it needed a bit more AH love.
The scenario is much closer to the latter, but not quite.
(I couldn't do a surviving Palawa map better than your Kingdom at the Bottom of the World one anyway)

I'm sure it'll be excellent, it's not like I have a monopoly on Tasmanian AH, aha.
Well that's annoying, aha, I shouldn't have said Dutch; that can mean anything from France to Germany to Norway. Not really giving myself a hint. Ah well.

Ah psh, it's alright. I'm looking forward to whatever you make!

Working on an alt-Hatsunia
Something tells me this might be a darker take on said nation.
The original setting of Hatsunia itself (in 2007 and 2046) is supposed to be the opposite of dystopian cyberpunk settings, in which the idea of Japan as a technological leader is associated with fear and alienation (due to "Japan-bashing" during the 80s bubble economy). After the bubble, Japan was seen as a "futuristic, high-tech wonderland," with robots, electronic toilets, and phones that were more advanced than everyone else's (they had tv tuners and cameras before anyone else, but they never left the Japanese market) until the advent of iPhone-style smartphones. The 2000s was the last decade of Japanese electronics being a major force in the global market. Now people like to talk about how Japan is technologically lagging behind the U.S. (Silicon Valley) and South Korea, and how Japanese businesses still use fax machines and are risk-averse and slow to change. So I thought, what if Japan remained a technological leader, but also in a way that wasn't like the bleakness of cyberpunk?

Last edited:
Well that's annoying, aha, I shouldn't have said Dutch; that can mean anything from France to Germany to Norway. Not really giving myself a hint. Ah well.

You're closer than you think; there are the Dutch, it's just not only the Dutch. Hint enough?
I'd show you more progress, but I haven't made enough for any more of a hint, and I don't want to use up my three images per day.