Winds of the West: A Timeline

After doing some more research (and taking a lot of time off), I've decided to create a new timeline. This timeline is the reincarnation of sorts of my older one, Columbian North, and will hopefully last a lot longer. I hope to solve some issues I had with the last one. Anyway, here goes!

Note: I will be Spanish-izing some terms here. When I do, I will put the OTL word in parentheses afterwards. (like this.)

-------------
January: A butterfly flaps its wings in China. It has no idea it has just changed the history of the human race forever.
Spring: Christopher Columbus secures funding for his proposed voyage to find a western route to Asia.
March: Ferdinand and Isabella issue a decree expelling all Jews from Spain.
June: Rough weather begins off the coast of Yucatan.
August: Christopher Columbus sets sail from Palos de La Frontera. In late August, the rough weather off the Yucatan solidifies into a full-blown hurricane.
September: The hurricane has died down into tropical storm levels. On the Santa Maria, menacing clouds appear on the horizon. Columbus confers with the captains of the the other two ships, and they agree to change course northwest to avoid the storm. They manageto avoid the worst of the winds but the Pinta suffers some sail damage.
October: On October 15, land is sighted for the first time by a sailor aboard the Nina. Colombus and crew go ashore near OTL Norfolk, where they are greeted by the native Nadoa (Nottoway) tribes. Columbus claims the land for Spain but sees nothing that particularly arouses his interest, except for a certain plant the natives call tabago (tobacco). Columbus trades some cloth trinkets for a good supply to show the Spanish court back in Madrid. Columbus concludes this must be a land north of China, and sets sail to the south to try and find it. However, as they set sail the already damaged Pinta hits a sandbar and is forced to be abandoned.

As the other ships are already fuill to capacity, Columbus convinces the local Nadoa chief to allow his sailors to build a settlement near their landing site. This settlement is named, ironically, Buenos Ventos (Good Winds). Columbus promises to pick his stranded men up on his return voyage, and sails south with his remaining two ships.

November
: Columbus follows the coastline, making contact with local chiefs along the way. He makes contact with Cecotán (Secotan), Toscarora (Tuscarora), and Pomoica (Pamlico) tribes. Nothing he sees truly impresses him, but he takes on several turkeys, a bushel of pecans and some pumpkins as examples of the treasures of the Orient. He observes the natives posess small quatities of gold, but not heaps as the tall tales of China would have it. He continues south.

December:
Columbus reaches the mouth of the Santi (Santee) river. A trading mission with a local Santi tribe goes wrong, however, when one of Columbus's sailors gets in a fight with a Santi tribesman over the barter price of a gold medallion. Columbus's men intervene on the side of the sailor and soon enough, it comes to blows. The Santi party is defeated by Spanish guns and several natives taken captive. However, several of Columbus's sailors had perished in the fight, and Columbus decided to head back for Spain.

March: After traveling by way of the Azores, Columbus arrives in Cadiz. His account of his voyage would make a stir throughout Spain and all of Europe...
----------
A map of the First Voyage:

voyage.PNG

The Second Voyage

March:
Columbus is recieved as a hero in Spain. Before the Spanish court, he displays pecans, pumpkins, gold artifacts, and other treasures of 'Asia'. The captive Santi are recieved with interest. The Spanish court takes a particular liking to the new tabago weed. Columbus hypes up the treasures of 'Asia', describing its wonderful harbors, its gold, its fertile plains, its gold, its many spices, and also its gold. Ferdinand charters a second expedition for Columbus, this time with 16 ships and 1,150 men to colonize his new lands.

September: Columbus sets out from Cadiz, with a reminder from Ferdinand that ships do not pay for themselves....

November
: The crew sights land around OTL Roanoke Island. Columbus issues instruction to proceed north, to check on the colony of Buenos Vientos. Columbus continues to map the coastline along the way. Columbus names the land Palmecitas after its small palms.

In late November Columbus arrives at Buenos Vientos. The men have managed to establish good relations with the Nadoa Indians. The settlement is thriving and the men have taken to raising tabago along with their food crops. Columbus deposits soldiers and extra settlers to bolster the outpost.

December: Columbus had also heard reports of a large body of water to his north. Convinced this must be the passage to the Indies, Columbus sails north into OTL Chesapeake Bay. He established outposts at the mouths of several major rivers, including San Pedro on the Rio de Santos (James River), and Rio Fernando on the Rio Fernando (Potomac River). Columbus meets the indigenous Pojatan (Powhatan) Indians. Columbus is dissapointed to learn the Pojatan Bay (Chesapeake) is closed at the north end, and after planting a settlement on the eastern shore of the bay, sails around the tip of the newly discovered Asatiga Peninsula (Delmarva Peninsula) in search of a possible other northern route.

January:
Columbus discovers no such route; only more land. He sights the mouth of the Rio Santiago (Hudson River) and turns back south to his settlements.

February:
Columbus is in a quandary. By order of the King he needs to turn a profit in the expedition. He recognizes the potential profitability of tabago and other new crops. However, these are long-term prospects for now; he needs something immediate.

The settlers at Buenos Vientos had established good relations with the Nadoa. Some of the men have learned to speak the language and a few have even taken Nadoa wives. And the settlers had, through the Nadoa, come to know the area better.

The Nadoa had made known to the settlers that they were often threatened by the Pojatan to the north. These Pojatan were more aggressive and slightly better organized, but above all, were much more numerous.

And so Columbus remembered how the Portuguese, with whom he had recieved most of his marine training, first turned a profit on their expeditions in Africa... slavery.

-----

Un mapa de la bahia Pojatan y el viaje segundo de Colon:

voyage2.PNG

Rockingham

Banned
This looks good....keep it up!

So, what are the British and Portuguese reactions to the Spanish discovery?

Are the French taking an interest? Have the italian wars been affected?

On the other hand, given that they have discovered less profitable North America, the discovery has probably attracted less interest from the rest of Europe.

I wonder if the Spanish will conquer the Inca and Aztecs this TL....

This looks like a serious Spano-wank:p

maverick

Banned
It wouldn't like to be a Wendell with your map, which is nice and all, but that should be Santa Lucia and not San Lucia...

Oh, and Bump! this was good reading! just like the original...

It wouldn't like to be a Wendell with your map, which is nice and all, but that should be Santa Lucia and not San Lucia...

Oh, and Bump! this was good reading! just like the original...

Shouldn't Buenos Vientos also be Buenaventura?

Buena=good. Ventura=fortune. I missed that the author sought the name "good wind" rather than "good fortune":eek: Nonetheless, the name just seems wrong for some reason.

Your version seems appropriate too, considering OTL's Argentina.
I said 'Buenos Aires' because it was an example of the two words being seperated in a name- not that the place shoukd be named Buenos Aires. OK, we're arguing too much over nitpicks now.

It doesn't make sense for it to be called the Pojatan. That was named for the village of powhatan where Wasuhannacok (sp?)came from. He didn''t live until 1547, and his village might not have been the major power then. Still quite good.

It doesn't make sense for it to be called the Pojatan. That was named for the village of powhatan where Wasuhannacok (sp?)came from. He didn''t live until 1547, and his village might not have been the major power then. Still quite good.

I'm also not sure if Tobacco or "Tobago" will be called such in this timeline.

Very interesting TL. I've caught myself wondering who will colonize (let alone discover) OTL's south america, will it be another European power or Spain. And someone said something about the fact that there wasn't much wealth in the area so that could deter the other european states, regardless of such, surely there would still be an interest in the area, so that the other nations of europe could in a sense 'keep up' with the Spanish.

Also, great TL, please add more. :)

Glen

Fine except for the Hurricane bit. Hurricanes in the Atlantic almost always start off the African coast. However, it would be trivial to have any of the several tropical storms that come through the Caribbean in the Hurricane season strengthen to such and cut across Columbus' intended path, thus giving you precisely what you want and being more technically plausible.

After doing some more research (and taking a lot of time off), I've decided to create a new timeline. This timeline is the reincarnation of sorts of my older one, Columbian North, and will hopefully last a lot longer. I hope to solve some issues I had with the last one. Anyway, here goes!

Note: I will be Spanish-izing some terms here. When I do, I will put the OTL word in parentheses afterwards. (like this.)

-------------
January: A butterfly flaps its wings in China. It has no idea it has just changed the history of the human race forever.
Spring: Christopher Columbus secures funding for his proposed voyage to find a western route to Asia.
March: Ferdinand and Isabella issue a decree expelling all Jews from Spain.
June: Rough weather begins off the coast of Yucatan.
August: Christopher Columbus sets sail from Palos de La Frontera. In late August, the rough weather off the Yucatan solidifies into a full-blown hurricane.
September: The hurricane has died down into tropical storm levels. On the Santa Maria, menacing clouds appear on the horizon. Columbus confers with the captains of the the other two ships, and they agree to change course northwest to avoid the storm. They manageto avoid the worst of the winds but the Pinta suffers some sail damage.
October: On October 15, land is sighted for the first time by a sailor aboard the Nina. Colombus and crew go ashore near OTL Norfolk, where they are greeted by the native Nadoa (Nottoway) tribes. Columbus claims the land for Spain but sees nothing that particularly arouses his interest, except for a certain plant the natives call tabago (tobacco). Columbus trades some cloth trinkets for a good supply to show the Spanish court back in Madrid. Columbus concludes this must be a land north of China, and sets sail to the south to try and find it. However, as they set sail the already damaged Pinta hits a sandbar and is forced to be abandoned.

As the other ships are already fuill to capacity, Columbus convinces the local Nadoa chief to allow his sailors to build a settlement near their landing site. This settlement is named, ironically, Buenos Ventos (Good Winds). Columbus promises to pick his stranded men up on his return voyage, and sails south with his remaining two ships.

November
: Columbus follows the coastline, making contact with local chiefs along the way. He makes contact with Cecotán (Secotan), Toscarora (Tuscarora), and Pomoica (Pamlico) tribes. Nothing he sees truly impresses him, but he takes on several turkeys, a bushel of pecans and some pumpkins as examples of the treasures of the Orient. He observes the natives posess small quatities of gold, but not heaps as the tall tales of China would have it. He continues south.

December:
Columbus reaches the mouth of the Santi (Santee) river. A trading mission with a local Santi tribe goes wrong, however, when one of Columbus's sailors gets in a fight with a Santi tribesman over the barter price of a gold medallion. Columbus's men intervene on the side of the sailor and soon enough, it comes to blows. The Santi party is defeated by Spanish guns and several natives taken captive. However, several of Columbus's sailors had perished in the fight, and Columbus decided to head back for Spain.

March: After traveling by way of the Azores, Columbus arrives in Cadiz. His account of his voyage would make a stir throughout Spain and all of Europe...
----------
A map of the First Voyage: