Wikiboxes for Other People's Timelines and Wikibox Request Thread

I just read @statichaos's timeline A World of Laughter, A World of Tears. It's amazing, go read it. I thought I'd make this quick wikibox for it before I finish my next one:

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.12.37 AM.png

This is something I had in my wikibox folder for a while. The 1980 election in "For all Time" by Chester A. Arthur.
Are you sure about that election map? Jim Jones was pretty big on left-wing stuff, being a former communist and way before the insane Kool-Aid stuff, he was seen as pretty liberal on social issues of the time.

Can't really see the South voting for someone as left-wing as him, and if the Dems were the party of George McGovern... Or is this map canon?

Are you sure about that election map? Jim Jones was pretty big on left-wing stuff, being a former communist and very big on racially-integration stuff. All pretty left-wing.

Can't really see the South voting for someone as left-wing as him, and if the Dems were the party of George McGovern... Or is this map canon?
Chester A. Arthur never made a map of the election, I made it myself. What we do know is that Jim Jones did well in the south but ended up losing Florida and Oklahoma. However, he managed to win Indiana through "creative measures". I also got some things wrong as Daniel Moynihan was supposed to be Jim Jones' running mate while Leo Ryan became his secretary of education. Also, Manson was supposed to win the popular vote instead of Jones.

View attachment 369935
This is something I had in my wikibox folder for a while. The 1980 election in "For all Time" by Chester A. Arthur.
Alright! Finally someone other than me is taking an interest in making these wikiboxes. There are so many incredibly interesting wikiboxes you could do for the enormous project that is FaT, but I think this one really captures the horror that the alt-world has become by 1980. In my second post I listed all the FaT presidents except for Jones. Well done Kerguelen!

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
I'll do one for you. Anything in particular you want be to wikify?

Also, here's the election in @Mumby's Making Murder Sound Respectable.
MMSRWikibox.png
Good wikibox but the swings are all wrong; Labour is a +4.0% swing, National is a -4.6% swing, Liberal is a +14.2% swing, Social Credit is a -2.5% swing, Communist is a +4.2% swing, Union is a -4.1% swing, and Home Rule would have a 'steady' symbol as the established percentage points don't extend to 0.00 and there is no indicate in the Home Rule part specifically there was no change between 3.0% and 3.0%.

Good wikibox but the swings are all wrong; Labour is a +4.0% swing, National is a -4.6% swing, Liberal is a +14.2% swing, Social Credit is a -2.5% swing, Communist is a +4.2% swing, Union is a -4.1% swing, and Home Rule would have a 'steady' symbol as the established percentage points don't extend to 0.00 and there is no indicate in the Home Rule part specifically there was no change between 3.0% and 3.0%.
Oh wow, I used a completely wrong method to find the swing. I thought swing was calculated by subtracting the most recent percentage of seats by the percentage of seats from the last election :eek:

I'll go and fix that up straight away.

Thande

Donor
Oh wow, I used a completely wrong method to find the swing. I thought swing was calculated by subtracting the most recent percentage of seats by the percentage of seats from the last election :eek:

I'll go and fix that up straight away.
No, swing is based on percentage change in popular vote - it would actually be interesting to see OTL elections with the figures quoted for what you thought swing was, though, especially in parliamentary bodies like the Bundestag where the number of seats can vary considerably from one election to the next.

No, swing is based on percentage change in popular vote - it would actually be interesting to see OTL elections with the figures quoted for what you thought swing was, though, especially in parliamentary bodies like the Bundestag where the number of seats can vary considerably from one election to the next.
It actually does explain some confusion I had while I was making this one. For my template, I used the wikibox for the OTL 2015 General Election, in which the Lib Dem seat count dove off a cliff while the SNP seat count exploded. Thinking that swing was based on seat count, I remember being somewhat confused as to why the respective swings were only +3.0 and -15.1 when both parties had undergone such a drastic change. Using my faulty method, the swing would have come out to -7.5% for the Lib Dems and +7.7% for the SNP. (Come to think of it, those figures sound much more favorable in both cases--the SNP's positive swing would be larger, Lib Dems' negative swing would be smaller. Maybe we should calculate swing based on seat count!)

By the way, there are so many different boxes I'd like to do for your multitudinous timelines but I hope to spread them out, lest this thread turn into "Wikiboxes for Thande's Timelines" :)

Thande

Donor
By the way, there are so many different boxes I'd like to do for your multitudinous timelines but I hope to spread them out, lest this thread turn into "Wikiboxes for Thande's Timelines" :)
No problem, plenty of interesting elections from everyone's timelines.

The reason why swing is based on popular vote, incidentally, is because it was originally used primarily to signify changes in the vote in one seat (especially in a by-election), not across a whole country where FPTP where percentage votes need not have anything to do with percentage seats. It also just used to purely be a Conservative vs Labour measure, and there remain a few diehards who refuse to use any other definition, even if it's a Scottish seat where the only relevant percentages are (say) the Lib Dems and the SNP.

bbdd341d42a0573a63f5716ef5bd2fe21e58c0fb.jpg

The reason why swing is based on popular vote, incidentally, is because it was originally used primarily to signify changes in the vote in one seat (especially in a by-election), not across a whole country where FPTP where percentage votes need not have anything to do with percentage seats. It also just used to purely be a Conservative vs Labour measure, and there remain a few diehards who refuse to use any other definition, even if it's a Scottish seat where the only relevant percentages are (say) the Lib Dems and the SNP.

And also, in pre-exit poll days, what the changes in early announced constituencies implied for the national result.

In this country when we think of "swing" in a political sense we usually think of swing states. Electoral swing is still a thing here, of course, but not many people are entirely clear on what it means (including me, up until last night). I think my first introduction to the British connotation of swing was Monty Python's Election Night Special:

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 11.25.25 AM.png

Thande

Donor
In this country when we think of "swing" in a political sense we usually think of swing states. Electoral swing is still a thing here, of course, but not many people are entirely clear on what it means (including me, up until last night). I think my first introduction to the British connotation of swing was Monty Python's Election Night Special:

View attachment 370038
The Python sketch is itself a spoof of what actually happened on the real British election night 1970, where the swings to the Tories were so unexpectedly large that they had to paint more numbers on the Swingometer:

d7619429a701d7d96af1a23cc433d4e5.jpg

The Python sketch is itself a spoof of what actually happened on the real British election night 1970, where the swings to the Tories were so unexpectedly large that they had to paint more numbers on the Swingometer:

d7619429a701d7d96af1a23cc433d4e5.jpg
Wow, that's very interesting. Imagine if they'd still been restricted to that kind of technology in 1997-- they probably would have had to find a way to draw circles with more than 360 degrees!