WI: WW1 happened in the 1860s/1870s over German unification?

Would Britain intervene in this Great European War?

• On the side of the Franco-Austrian Alliance

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • On the side of the Prusso-Russian Alliance

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Britain would stay neutral

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Deleted per request.

Thanks! Really appreciated.

Have set up a poll. I would appreciate it if you read some of the dialogue we've had over this very question before answering, but go ahead and share your honest, and intuitive, opinion

I'm really open minded, so I'll probably accept what the voters deem to be necessary.

Please share your opinions

Last edited:
I mostly just voted neutral because I think it would make for a more interesting story, but as others have said, Britain was in the midst of its Splendid Isolation at this point and the Great Game was just beginning to fire up so it wouldn't necessarily see Russia backing Prussia as a huge threat unless Russia took advantage of the opportunity to take excessive gains in the Balkans or something like that that would put it in position to threaten the Straits.

EDIT: Or unless Germany decided to go full Großdeutschland and incorporate all of Cisleithania sans Galicia into the Kaiserreich. That would be a radical shift on the balance of power that would surely get Britain's attention.

Last edited:
Hungarians were incandescent as they were levelled to the same level as Bohemia, but the sense of emergency prevented uprising in Hungary.
Opposite, know Hungary can ask the catholic hohenzollern or the saxons to be their kings and fuck the hasburg even more..the magyars wanted more power no less.

I think Britain would have stayed out of an 1860s European War just like it did the Franco-Prussian War.

I think I'm going to revert to that position. I did think that they would see this crisis more seriously because of the escalation, but I will listen to the judgement of this learned community. As @M79, to maintain the balance of power.

The main problem is it's Gladstone in power. Whereas Disraeli was more gung-ho about the use of force and way more concerned about the balance of power and Russian expansion, Gladstone was no where near so concerned.

21/43 voters have opted for British neutrality. I'm going to agree and write the timeline

Going to write Part 5 this weekend. Planning on having Russia intervene and to have Bismarck re-appointed as ambassador to help this happen. They would do this after limited Austrian successes and the risk of a French victory.

Quite humbled that 14,000 people have viewed this thread. That's absolutely amazing and you've all come up with such great ideas. Particular thanks goes to those who have given me lots of advice and help with this.

oing to write Part 5 this weekend. Planning on having Russia intervene and to have Bismarck re-appointed as ambassador to help this happen. They would do this after limited Austrian successes and the risk of a French victory.
Bismarck is already prime minister, that is not possible, if anything he would be the special envoy to russia... that is if they want to participated, they could start their own war as the rest of europe is busy.

Bismarck is already prime minister, that is not possible, if anything he would be the special envoy to russia... that is if they want to participated, they could start their own war as the rest of europe is busy.

I had him resign in 1866 as the POD, because the king rejects his plan for a ceasefire

Did Willy I trully wanted all of Bohemia?

No, but both Moltke and him required MASSIVE convincing to sign that ceasefire, because it was odd to win a crushing victory and sign such a tepid peace. Bismarck broke multiple vases and broke the door handle and raged and ranted to bully his way, but if Moltke was more forceful he could have won out. So if that meeting had gone differently, Wilhelm I would have presed for a Saxon annexation and a small concession of Austria, which I have worked into the TL

No, but both Moltke and him required MASSIVE convincing to sign that ceasefire, because it was odd to win a crushing victory and sign such a tepid peace. Bismarck broke multiple vases and broke the door handle and raged and ranted to bully his way, but if Moltke was more forceful he could have won out. So if that meeting had gone differently, Wilhelm I would have presed for a Saxon annexation and a small concession of Austria, which I have worked into the TL
Unironically Willy I never cared about Saxony that much, was bismarck the one wanted to unite some prussian enclaves, Willy I prize was always Bohemia and more important..the title of King of Bohemia, for him that was the hasburg old electoral title, without it, the hasburg have no business in germany as they don't anylonger are a heir of the old HRE, Willy I always supported bismarck as he wanted a neo-HRE as him as the Emperor(not much different his older brother but he was far more pragmatic than FWIV), that was why he took so much to be placated, anything else is ASB territory

I'm pretty sure that Wilhelm didn't want all of Bohemia, if I recall correctly he wanted a strip of northern bohemia that was actually pretty similar to the northern sudetenland of otl.

Would Germany try to go for the whole of Bohemia or look something like this after such annexations...?

Or maybe this...?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Wilhelm didn't want all of Bohemia, if I recall correctly he wanted a strip of northern bohemia that was actually pretty similar to the northern sudetenland of otl.
Would Germany try to go for the whole of Bohemia or look something like this after such annexations...?

Or maybe this...?
I think he wanted at least Prague, nothing better say 'we kicked you out the HRE' that getting the old empire Capitol and the old Habsburg seat of power