WI Winnie the Pooh is made into an famous opera?

What if the late 1920's, the Winnie the Pooh books were adapted into a famous opera? What would the world be like?
First Winnie the Pooh book was published in 1926, so you really don't have time for it to be noticed and adapted to opera before you run out of 1920's.
Plus I get the impression it's not the sort of work which gets operatic treatment, until the late 1970's/early 1980's, when Oliver Knussen starts doing adaptation-to-opera-format stuff like Where the Wild Things Are and Higglety Pigglety Pop! Before that you need to be classic fairytale if you're in the children's story bracket, and even then to my mind you're heading more probably for ballet territory (e.g. Sleeping Beauty) than opera. (Okay: you have Ravel's 'Mother Goose' but that's classical stories, and it ends up as ballet.)

'What would the world be like?' - since it's not going to happen (edit: as far as I can see), that question doesn't need answering. Best case scenario I can think of, you might get a 1930's ballet out of a composer making a very drunk bet, which they regard as a challenge they feel obliged to honour when they sober up. (Might work if anyone was doing jazz ballets at that time.)

Last edited:
What if the late 1920's, the Winnie the Pooh books were adapted into a famous opera? What would the world be like?
First Winnie the Pooh book was published in 1926, so you really don't have time for it to be noticed and adapted to opera before you run out of 1920's.

Plus I get the impression it's not the sort of work which gets operatic treatment, until the late 1970's/early 1980's, when Oliver Knussen starts doing adaptation-to-opera-format stuff like Where the Wild Things Are and Higglety Pigglety Pop! Before that you need to be classic fairytale if you're in the children's story bracket, and even then to my mind you're heading more probably for ballet territory (e.g. Sleeping Beauty) than opera. (Okay: you have Ravel's 'Mother Goose' but that's classical stories, and it ends up as ballet.)

'What would the world be like?' - since it's not going to happen (edit: as far as I can see), that question doesn't need answering. Best case scenario I can think of, you might get a 1930's ballet out of a composer making a very drunk bet, which they regard as a challenge they feel obliged to honour when they sober up. (Might work if anyone was doing jazz ballets at that time.)
What if A.A. Milne and Harold Fraser-Simson have adapted it into a musical in 1929 instead of adapting the Wind in the Willows into Toad of Toad Hall?

Nephi

Banned
Maybe this is a post 2013 pod Xi Jinping embraces the resemblance and has an opera commissioned.

I think he should btw, he could have used that to present a friendlier imagine to the west.

Hitler becomes a fan of Winnie the Pooh instead of Snow White and the seven Dwarfs.
For X reasons America does not enter an analog of the Second World War (but relations remain poor), Europe is dominated by the Third Reich.
In the following years diplomacy resumed between Berlin and Washington and Hitler commissioned an opera on Winnie the Pooh, symbol of a German-American rapprochement.

I would pay to see this opera.