WI: Wilson pulls out?

So most people agree that Wilson was a bad president. I'm not here to argue that.

But say, Wilson, during his inaugural speech, declares that he's pulling a Polk and is President for 4 years. Everything else stays the same, any law, bill, or anything that he does in office stays the same, except for the for the fact that everything he did in his second turn never exists.

Who do the Dems give the 1916 nomination? Who wins the election? How will this new president handle WWI, if he gets involved at all? How is Wilson's reputation seen as?

Who'd be the Republican nomination in this scenario I wonder. They might have a decent chance if they play their cards right of regaining control of the White House.

Why wouldn't it still be Charles Evans Hughes?

Butterflies first off. With Wilson announcing from the get go that he'll only be a 4 year president the whole processes of selecting a nominee will be different. Hell TR might make up with the Republican's faster then the OTL in this case and try running for office again.

Butterflies first off. With Wilson announcing from the get go that he'll only be a 4 year president the whole processes of selecting a nominee will be different. Hell TR might make up with the Republican's faster then the OTL in this case and try running for office again.

Butterflies can't flap hard enough for TR and the GOP bosses to make up that quickly.

Butterflies can't flap hard enough for TR and the GOP bosses to make up that quickly.

If they sense blood in the water they can. The biggest fear would be TR running 3rd party again and giving the Democrats the White House again and they'll do what ever it takes to prevent that. So if that means supporting TR they'll do it.

If they sense blood in the water they can. The biggest fear would be TR running 3rd party again and giving the Democrats the White House again and they'll do what ever it takes to prevent that. So if that means supporting TR they'll do it.

TR at this point still wants to be President, but the real question is if he has enough support from the more mainstream and less progressive side of the GOP. If the Dems through out Thomas Marshall or WJB, then I don't think they go with Teddy because chances are he won't gain as much votes a more moderate canidate like Hughes would get. The 1916 electioj was quite close, and Hughes had a decent chance of winning if one or two states turned his way.

They smelled blood OTL. That's why everyone, TR and the GOP bosses included, went with Hughes.

Because, as obviously everyone knows, Hughes didn't piss off one faction of the GOP base over the other the way TR did.

Who'd be the Republican nomination in this scenario I wonder. They might have a decent chance if they play their cards right of regaining control of the White House.

In OTL the fight between conservative Elihu Root and liberal John Weeks led to the selection of Charles Hughes as a compromise in '16. Could that still occur?

It took World War 1 to have the Republicans warm up to Roosevelt again; unless Wilson jumps in the war a year or two early, Roosevelt isn't going to get nominated after what happened in 1912.

Istr reading (I think it was in a biography of Bryan) that Wilson did consider retiring, but decided to run again from fear that Bryan might get the nomination. Can't say how reliable that is, though.