WI: US Takes Haiti?

The expansion of the US was tied in every way to slavery. The south wanted to expand it, so the north needed to expand so they wouldn't be overrun commercially with the system. The war with Mexico was in part because the Republic of Texas had hazy borders with Mexico, so when they joined the union, suddenly we had very messy borders there too, resulting in a war- and of course, the RoT largely existed because of the white settlers that had revolted to keep slavery. Similarly, the South was infamous for wanting to take over Cuba, which was right across from Florida and had a large robust slave plantation economy. The north, however, wasn't in the mood to deal with such a war, or the dying and decrepit Spanish empire. However, there's another Caribbean island of notable size, while also being smaller, and importantly, not controlled by a European state that still had something of a respectable navy: Haiti. Haiti was diplomatically isolated for much of its early history because none of the European powers (including the states) wanted to recognize a free black republic.

So, what if during an expansion-minded southern president, the US invaded- successfully- takes Haiti? Perhaps Britain never impresses US sailors, so James Madison has a better domestic situation, and the southern plantation owners want to snipe up Haiti while its nation is young before it inspires their slaves?

I doubt it would become a state until decades later- even if it's a reasonable place to colonize, it's still fairly far from the core of Appalachia, and it has a very large black population that, for lack of a better phrase, the military would need to suppress. But I'm curious about how long people feel it would take, and how this would effect the borders of other states. Would a part of the OTL upper confederacy be forced into being a free state? Would Maine become its own thing sooner? What would those mean for the civil war? How would haiti evolve after the war?

I suspect that there would be more naval stuff in the south, which might even the playing field a little bit industrially, and make the anaconda plan harder to pull off. After the war, I suspect that Haiti would likely be one of if not the most inequal states in the union, with a wealthy white population dominating the vast majority black population, who would be very disenfranchised, similar to the other parts of the deep south,

Well I mean if the French, Spanish, and British couldn’t subjugate the island I don’t know how well the US would do. If US troops are successfully repulsed by an army of slaves it would give more hope to slave rebellions in the South.

Well I mean if the French, Spanish, and British couldn’t subjugate the island I don’t know how well the US would do. If US troops are successfully repulsed by an army of slaves it would give more hope to slave rebellions in the South.
tbh i think england is the best counter, since france's best naval base in the area is also the target of the invasion, and spain was kinda exploding. But hey, at least fucking with slavers is cool

I think it's more likely that a US dead-set on Carribean expansion would go after Santo Domingo, and leave Haiti as just too tough a nut to crack.
Despite having 2/3 of the land mass of Hispaniola, Santo Domingo had a fraction of the population that Haiti did, had been conquered by the Haitians (much to the chagrin of the local population), and had been re-colonized by Spain. Had the US have taken advantage of a... moment of weakness on the Spanish part (there were several in the mid-1800's), the US could've taken Santo Domingo, and probably even found some willing collaborators among the local population who would find American "protection" more palatable than either domination by Haiti or by the metropole....

I think it's more likely that a US dead-set on Carribean expansion would go after Santo Domingo, and leave Haiti as just too tough a nut to crack.
Despite having 2/3 of the land mass of Hispaniola, Santo Domingo had a fraction of the population that Haiti did, had been conquered by the Haitians (much to the chagrin of the local population), and had been re-colonized by Spain. Had the US have taken advantage of a... moment of weakness on the Spanish part (there were several in the mid-1800's), the US could've taken Santo Domingo, and probably even found some willing collaborators among the local population who would find American "protection" more palatable than either domination by Haiti or by the metropole....
I think you’re exactly right, and there were some moves along these lines IOTL. The Dominican Republic sought annexation in 1867 and separately the US reached an annexation agreement with the Dominican government in 1870, but the annexation treaty failed in the Senate. Seems plausible enough to have Grant handle the process more skillfully and get the needed votes in the Senate.

Deleted member 107190

There’s no way the US would feasibly be able to hold it especially during Madison’s term when the Haitian army was well organised and had fall back fortresses built into the interior mountains. Best case scenario is a bloody, pointless desultory partisan war which drags on for years.

Problems

1.Haiti is recognized by Europe after Boyer agrees to pay reparations. Imo Any Haitian leadership would once they united into one government. As the two doesn't have the political will as they will get labelled as probably traitors and selling out the nation/country or Haiti to the Whites and Europeans (French/France)

2. Alot of Europe trades with Haiti. It's false that After Dessalines basically murdered like alot of the french whites in the islands they stop trading completely. It's especially huge, till like Petion then Boyer implemented land reform. Which crashed production but still they continue trading and probably formal relations and agreements are done after recognition. Well someone will not be happy and be pissed off due to this

3. What happens to Haiti's reparations to France? Who will pay them if it's after recognition. France might get angry

4. Haitians will probably like fanatically fight to the death instead of being owned by another person again or reenslaved. It's gonna be a very brutal and expensive war that can potentially bankrupt the US.

5. Even if theyre not diplomatically recognized, the trade and economic relations, Europeans living there, is basically on the line. Also mainly no. 4