WI : Trump runs in 2012

That's a reboot of my previous thread with the stated objective of having Obama, like Grover Cleveland before, a two non consecutive terms president, losing reelection in the electoral college but winning in the popular vote, returning to win four years later.

As I read it, Trump had good polls in the race for GOP nomination in 2012, seemingly better than Romney's, but withdrew early from the race. It appears there was more enthusiasm with his potential candidacy than Romney's. Could this and Trump's heavily nativist and populist rhetorics could have put him into the White House that year.
Though Russia has less reasons to interfere in the election without the Ukrainian crisis and the sanctions that went along, I don't think that lessens his chances. The debate on ACA was still recent in minds and the system not as solidly established in public eye as it would be in 2016.
Though one could say it looks unlikely he would beat Obama, so was his chances against Clinton, but here, let's not forget that, in reference to both 1888 and 2016, Obama wins in popular vote and wins big, but loses the EC.

Obama still wins, mainly because he could inspire voters the way Hillary couldn’t. He presented a real alternative to anything the GOP cooked up, and he wins by a similar margin. Trump probably doesn’t run in 2016 in that case, and we have a field of guys like Cruz and Kasich - and whoever wins that probably wins it all.