WI:TITANIS WALLERI DIDN'T GO EXTINCT?

NothingNow

Banned
So yeah; WI Titanis Walleri did not go extinct 15 thousand years ago but lived late enough to encounter Europeans? What might they make of a Giant Predatory Bird that can Run At 40mph (65km/h)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanis
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fossilhall/Library/Titanis/Titanis.htm

Image is sketch of close relative Phorusrhacos.

275px-phorusrhacos.jpg

hahaha they would turn back and only come back when they developed some REAL firepower!:p

Seriously though, I assume they would build walls?

From the Wikipedia article you referenced:

It lived approximately 5-2 million years ago (early Pliocene to early Pleistocene) in North America, fossil evidence (fractures) have been found in Florida and Texas. From circumstantial evidence, it has been suggested that the species did not become extinct until 15,000 years ago,[3] but more precise dating by McFadden and colleagues refutes such a late date; all known
Titanis fossils appear to be at least 2 million years old.[4][5]

You'd have to allow it to survive an additional 2 million years to get it up to today. But if you want to see what it might be like if they were still around, here's a book cited in the same article:

The Flock, a novel by James Robert Smith published in August 2006, featured a surviving group of Titanis walleri in central Florida.

I haven't read it, so I can't say whether it's good or bad.

NothingNow

Banned
hahaha they would turn back and only come back when they developed some REAL firepower!:p

Let's See Ponce De Leon build some walls while shitting himself. And I don't think they could make the walls high enough. Titanis might be able to Jump.:D

Titanus didn't go extinct 15 thousand years ago. Try 1.8 million years ago.

Also...LOL WOOT CAPS

NothingNow

Banned
From the Wikipedia article you referenced:

It lived approximately 5-2 million years ago (early Pliocene to early Pleistocene) in North America, fossil evidence (fractures) have been found in Florida and Texas. From circumstantial evidence, it has been suggested that the species did not become extinct until 15,000 years ago,[3] but more precise dating by McFadden and colleagues refutes such a late date; all known
Titanis fossils appear to be at least 2 million years old.[4][5]

You'd have to allow it to survive an additional 2 million years to get it up to today. But if you want to see what it might be like if they were still around, here's a book cited in the same article:

The Flock, a novel by James Robert Smith published in August 2006, featured a surviving group of Titanis walleri in central Florida.

I haven't read it, so I can't say whether it's good or bad.

I haven't gotten to read it either but I will soon. I picked the latest date because it seemed the best fit for the Before 1900 forum.

Let's See Ponce De Leon build some walls while shitting himself. And I don't think they could make the walls high enough. Titanis might be able to Jump.:D

lmao, maybe he can pile all the shit from his men up behind the wal at the distance behind the wall that titanis would land at!? Then it would give our Europeans a chance to kill it!:p

Thats disgusting :p

Well, considering that Native Americans are around with stone-tipped weapons and survive around this thing, I assume that Europeans with firearms and steel weapons will be fine. It's doubtful that this bird would be much of a bother to humans, as it is likely used to chasing down much smaller prey...

NothingNow

Banned
lmao, maybe he can pile all the shit from his men up behind the wal at the distance behind the wall that titanis would land at!? Then it would give our Europeans a chance to kill it!:p

This is getting Even better and Better. I wouldn't eat it after it landed in the shit. but imagine the splash from it.

I wonder if you could eat Titanis meat. I know those things would love the Pigs. They might find the Europeans a bit crunchy though.

Keenir

Banned
Well, considering that Native Americans are around with stone-tipped weapons and survive around this thing, I assume that Europeans with firearms and steel weapons will be fine. It's doubtful that this bird would be much of a bother to humans, as it is likely used to chasing down much smaller prey...

Phonorocids were adept at killing mammals their size and bulkier. (and that's true whether you follow the "head-butting" or the "kick the blighter" theory of strategy)

NothingNow

Banned
They might also tend to avoid Areas where Titanis are common. The Europeans won't Know any better and will probably over-react to the threat. But Titanis would probably be used to hunting Deer, Cougars, and stuff like that. So Vaguely man sized targets. They might go after People.

EDIT: with what Keenir Said they definitely will go after people if the opportunity were to present itself.

Butterflies! Butterflies! Butterflies! Who said the Europeans will ever be a great power with a POD 15 thousand years ago.

Also the theory that Titanis lived that long is controversial, many believe they went extinct 2 million years ago.

NothingNow

Banned
Giant Bird Cavalry!

It'd be hard but Doable with Jockeys. Hard in that Getting something used to letting someone order it around when, usually it's eating things that big for a light snack. ;)

Also related Image multiple counts:

1. Flightless Bird
  2. Florida
  3. Flightless Bird Drawn-Cart.

OstrichCartJacksonville1.jpg

NothingNow

Banned
Butterflies! Butterflies! Butterflies! Who said the Europeans will ever be a great power with a POD 15 thousand years ago.

Also the theory that Titanis lived that long is controversial, many believe they went extinct 2 million years ago.

Dude, the Americas were almost a different planet for that entire period. Few to No Butterflies in the Old world.

Circumstantial Evidence is good enough for this. Watch in ten to twenty years a work crew sent to dig new foundations for an expansion to a Disney theme Park will find one 30,000 years old or some thing. Or Some guy will find a 70,000 year old Skull while Diving in some spring in Florida. That's how Archeology and Paleontology work in Florida. Check the Florida Museum Of Natural History website for the Fossil Prospector Licensing page. That's how we do it.

This is getting Even better and Better. I wouldn't eat it after it landed in the shit. but imagine the splash from it.

I wonder if you could eat Titanis meat. I know those things would love the Pigs. They might find the Europeans a bit crunchy though.

lmao I know! yea, I probably wouldn't eat it... though, after the dirty feathers are plucked and its cleaned.... considering we ARE in the new world. Hahaha the splash from something THAT big at THAT speed :p

Oh, oh! Bird-powered war chariots! If the animal is just as brutal as the soldiers on it, it's doubly effective.

:eek::eek::eek: Its like the Persians all over again!

Hahahaha!:p What an interesting informational conversation :p