WI They Actually Found Something on Oak Island?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I think it is the oldest con game in history, you look at the island, its probably shit for farming . . .
It could be a straight-up con.

But I'm also surprised and impressed with how much urban legends grow without someone consciously trying to plan the whole thing.

And then there's hybrids of course. For example, the Scopes Monkey Trial of 1925 was planned and intended by the town's Chamber of Commerce types to . . . put Dayton on the map. I think that's the quote. But then, it kind of took on a momentum all its own. Genuine bad feelings were developed on the part of many toward John Scopes, who had been popular and viewed as an okay guy before that. And a big chunk of evangelical Christians withdrew from public life, only to re-enter in the 1970s and '80s. Not all of course, but apparently enough to make a political difference.
https://books.google.com/books?id=F...itious and forward-looking community"&f=false

Last edited:
I watched a couple of episodes of the show today and what amazes me is how in every episode they treat the smallest "discoveries" like game changers. A rock with funny looking scratches, or a piece of wood that might have come from a shipwreck, or a bunch of boulders on the ground that are sort of arranged in the pattern of a Templar Cross if you look at them from just the right vantage point in the just the right lighting conditions.

Finding confederate gold in Canada would probably result in a lot of jokes about Canada secretly being an extension of the American south or something. Expect a lot of dumb jokes from late night hosts and internet memes along those lines.

Finding confederate gold in Canada would probably result in a lot of jokes about Canada secretly being an extension of the American south or something. Expect a lot of dumb jokes from late night hosts and internet memes along those lines.
The North shall rise again!

I watched a couple of episodes of the show today and what amazes me is how in every episode they treat the smallest "discoveries" like game changers. A rock with funny looking scratches, or a piece of wood that might have come from a shipwreck, or a bunch of boulders on the ground that are sort of arranged in the pattern of a Templar Cross if you look at them from just the right vantage point in the just the right lighting conditions.

Completely agree, everything is made out to be so sensational. Though some of it quite interesting. Like the coconut fibers they keep finding.

Completely agree, everything is made out to be so sensational. Though some of it quite interesting. Like the coconut fibers they keep finding.

The Coconut fibre thing keeps coming in out of left field. I've never seen any evidence claimed supporting the hypothesis that it floats in from the tropics. Is there any evidence for that?

Apparently it works if they're still getting viewers, and from what I've seen most people are incredibly gullible, including people who otherwise boast about being skeptical, and will readily believe anything sensational they hear in the news. I have seen countless archaeology news stories get posted on this site and others where many posters will just buy what's being stated in some random blog or whatever without a shred of doubt because it sounds "different" or that it might be a "game-changer" and they want to believe the world of archaeology is full of dramatic upsets just for the sake of drama. Recently there was that black sarcophagus found in Egypt and on one forum I was following people left and right were speculating as to which pharaoh it was or whether the person inside was condemned by the pharaoh (because that was the plot of a schlocky 1999 adventure movie with magic spells and mummies), and wondering just how old this sarcophagus was. Even though it was found in Alexandria. There was even an Oak Island thing IIRC that other "news" sites picked up about a so-called Roman sword being found on Oak Island and people who I can only assume were generally unaware of the show were cheering and boasting that the Romans beat the vikings to Canada. The "sword" barely resembled a sword at all and it was made of bronze or brass and bore no resemblance whatsoever to any actual Roman blades, something fans of Roman history apparently didn't pick up on. Of course it did bear an exact likeness to a mass-produced fake artifact being sold on eBay...

Thats the claim & hypothesis. Since we are depending on brief written remarks & second hand accounts, & third hand speculation, its not 100% reliable that the few bits of fibre preserved were in large mats overlaid with rock ballast.

A few leads to pursue...

1. Was coconut fibre a common item for use 1500-1700?

2. Is similar fibre found in any noticeable quantity elsewhere along the beaches of the region of the North American coast?

Actually the next show is about the hunt for Yamashita’s hidden gold in the Philippines, saw the commercial today.

Actually the next show is about the hunt for Yamashita’s hidden gold in the Philippines, saw the commercial today.

Really? I've been wanting to visit the Philippines. Let me grab the metal detector and get a shovel. Oh, a current passport would help.

I thought it is going to be nazi treasures?

A family of bigfoots guarding Nazi treasures that include Hitler's remains proving that Hitler escaped to Oak Island on a U-Boat in the waning days of WWII and lived a quiet life as a fisherman on Oak Island until he passed away in his sleep in 1956.