WI They Actually Found Something on Oak Island?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Zheng He, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ricardolindo Well-Known Member

IMO, there is something in Oak Island, but we'll most likely never know what it is, the digging proccess is too hard, slow and costly.

2. Shadow Knight Grand Master of the BAM Order

I have to agree, those shows are a bit of guilty pleasure here too. Most of them are outrageous, but at the very least I do get to see places I've never heard of before and objects that do exist that I've never seen.

3. Glyndwr01 Well-Known Member

I just read in a magazine today that it is Inca gold hidden by a break off group of the conquistadors!

unclepatrick, KACKO and Zheng He like this.
  4. KACKO Well-Known Member

That’s new one. :D

5. Zheng He Well-Known Member

When I first heard about the Oak Island mystery as a kid (late 70s, early 80s) it was associated with a well known pirate, either Black Beard or Captain Kidd, I can't remember which. Now it has been associated with just about every rumor of lost treasure that exists. From a pop-psychology perspective it's quite interesting.

6. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

Now, whether we find this kind of explanation convincing, I guess might depend on how much we believe urban legend can grow and develop over time.

7. Father Maryland Enemy of Neo Secesh Everywhere

Couldn't pirates theoretically have stolen the tools? Why would you assume pirates of a specific nationality would use tools solely of their own nationality?
    What if it really was time travelers? Only instead of actually burying treasure they just decided to start a rumor so people would waste all their time and money for centuries digging holes on the same tiny island.
    One that's been fascinating me recently is three million lost Phillipino silver pesos. When the Phillipines were falling in 1941 the Phillipino government emptied their bank vaults. They sent gold bullion to Australian via sub, they burned the paper money, and millions of silver peso coins were dumped into the ocean. Most was officially either recovered by the Japanese during wartime, by the US immediately after the war, or the Phillipino government later. Officially three million silver peso coins were never recovered (though most were probably actually recovered by illegal salvagers or fishermen). Each peso coin having about half an ounce worth of pure silver. Meaning 1.5 million Oz of silver at 15 bucks an ounce.

Chris Triangle and Zheng He like this.
  8. Zheng He Well-Known Member

I've heard about that last one but not in association with Oak Island. I love it...

9. Father Maryland Enemy of Neo Secesh Everywhere

unclepatrick likes this.
  10. Chris Triangle Triangulator

It's Kidd. The reason is largely because he claimed to have additional treasure before he was executed and is rumored to have buried a large treasure on an unidentified island "East of Boston", which Oak Island is. That's what the first searchers thought they were looking for. He was also one of the few Pirates (though it could be argued he really was a privateer) I've heard of who actually was known to have buried his treasure, though the one he hid on Gardiner's island clearly wasn't well hidden because somebody apparently dug that up pretty quickly. Interestingly, he did have a previous record of digging tunnels on an island near Madagascar. I don't remember whether there was treasure involved but it sounds an awful lot like the kind of experience that would come in handy if he were to attempt a project to hide a much bigger prize.

The problem is, in Kidd's time, it would have been hard to pull something big off in Oak island without being noticed and it's clear that he didn't spend weeks or months in that area doing things. It also seems unlikely he or any other pirate/privateer would have had a crew loyal enough to keep quiet about it so he doesn't seem to be mentioned all that much in discussions about Oak island.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Zheng He and GeographyDude like this.
  11. weasel_airlift Well-Known Member

In that particular instance, I would only question someone mistaking a fallen tree or two for a platform.

Chris Triangle and GeographyDude like this.
  12. Father Maryland Enemy of Neo Secesh Everywhere

At this point the treasure hunters are effectively searching for artifacts of past treasure hunters.

13. Mr.Wigglemunch Well-Known Member

We all know humanity can't handle finding the resting place of a certain Doctor's sonic screwdriver.

14. unclepatrick Well-Known Member

Why would Kidd go to all the trouble to create the elaborate pit systems?
    Why would he spend the time ?
    Why not just buried it where it will latter be easier to dig up?
    And remember that most pirates did not bury treasure, they slip it up between members of the crew.
    The idea of burying the Treasure is more the creation of Robert Lewis Stevenson , not real pirates.

15. Carl Schwamberger Well-Known Member

Converting to cash & depositing it in a London bank via a eager middleman would be smart money.

16. Carl Schwamberger Well-Known Member

Most Pirates were actually privateers, who were usually outfitted by the sponsoring nation. The free pirates of the Carribean became a thing after the 16th Century, plus they seldom ventured north to the cold barren New England and New France coasts. So tools originating in the Spanish Netherlands mid 16th Century would be odds on off a Spanish ship. If it had been a English or French ship one would expect at least some tools from the forges of Lille or Manchester to be mixed in.

Would be ironic if there actually was a ship load of treasure lying a fews hundred meters off the island, while two centuries worth of fools had been mucking about what amounted to a survivors camp ashore.

17. GeographyDude Well-Known Member

I would question it, too, if the person is trying to tell the truth. If they’re trying to sell the next dig to promoters, then that’s an entirely different matter.

But I do wonder about the growth of urban legends . . . when a person is legitimately trying to honestly repeat the details most important to them. Over several retelling by several different people, how much do the facts morph?

Say at the 50 percentile, where half the cases are more extreme and half are less.

unclepatrick likes this.
  18. Carl Schwamberger Well-Known Member

Theres academic studies on that. One of my acquaintances David Sedivic was doing research on this back in the early 1990s at Purdue University. Specifically in this case on office rumors.

19. Ramontxo Believes San Mames is Heaven Donor

In the (slightly improbable) case of something worthy being found, what are the relevant Canadian laws like? One of my close friends is an archaeologist and his last work was in an bureau contracted by the Gipuzkoa local authorities to inspect the public works. Once they stopped for a time (until fully investigated) the building of a road when they found something.I don't see the American TV Show being that careful

20. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    “It is suggested that the lack of any records documenting Drake travelling to Canada is proof that he must have travelled to Canada.”

Zheng He likes this.