WI They Actually Found Something on Oak Island?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Zheng He, Feb 10, 2019.

1. marathag Well-Known Member

Mine was the 'In Search of..' with Leonard Nimoy hosting, about the same time as that RD book came out

2. Draconis Emperor of the North Pole.

What ever is there I'm certain those pesky Sasquatch are involved someway or other. And Sandy Duncan.

3. weasel_airlift Well-Known Member

So, they find a cavern, and an empty chest with a parchment that says: "Sorry, your treasure is in another cave"?

4. Driftless Geezer

The story appeared in the magazine. Required reading while waiting at the barbershop. That, and tales of spontaneous human combustion.....

5. Mad Bad Rabbit Well-Known Member

That'll be the special two-hour episode guest-hosted by Geraldo Rivera.

6. weasel_airlift Well-Known Member

Pfft, that's just one of my brothers in law after eating a load of beans

Driftless likes this.
  7. Driftless Geezer

You need more "f's" in Pfft to cover your claim.....;)

8. Zheng He Well-Known Member

Okay, that was brilliant. I could hear the History Channel narrator's voice in my head as I read that sentence.

Shadow Knight, KACKO and marathag like this.
  9. overoceans Well-Known Member

Hmm. A Reader's Digest piece, "condensed from the Rotarian", listed as a "research article" by the website.

10. Garrison Well-Known Member

They would probably bury it again and pretend it never happened. The last thing they want is to actually solve the mystery.

11. weasel_airlift Well-Known Member

Sorry, the concussion of the blast knocked that key off.

Driftless likes this.
  12. KACKO Well-Known Member

Common guys, as I say, me and my wife really enjoy the show. Well. Usually we fell asleep by 2nd or 3rd commercial without realizing who fell asleep 1st but conversation over morning coffee... Like they found piece of concrete, do you know more... They did? I guess I was already sleeping. :D

Driftless likes this.
  13. Driftless Geezer

I guess the eternal fascination with the island and its mystery is that we all hope they find something of importance...

Bavarian Raven, Zheng He and KACKO like this.
  14. Zheng He Well-Known Member

I think a successful find on Oak Island could lead to any number of spin offs because finding something, even a garden variety treasure from some pirate who has been lost to history will suddenly give credibility to every rumor, legend, and conspiracy theory of lost treasure that you can think of. Kind of like how the Coelacanth is held up as evidence to support every cryptozoological rumor out there.

The show is already on its 6th season and there has been one spin (Curse of Civil War Gold) and that is without finding anything. If they actually find something the flood gates are open. What's next? Curse of the Lost Dutchman's Mine? Curse of Geronimo's Treasure? Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless.

GeographyDude and Driftless like this.
  15. KACKO Well-Known Member

Well there ore is kind of soin off. Civil War treasure or something like that. ;)

16. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    No idea tbh.

17. RamscoopRaider Some Sort of Were-Orca, probably an Akhlut Donor

Not sure how much it would be worth but here's an idea

There's a theory that the whole Oak Island thing is a result of someone stumbling across the remains of an old illegal salt manufacturing operation. Salt was taxed, and the local fishing industry needed a lot of it, so there was money to be made illicitly manufacturing the stuff. The supposed finger drains and artificial beach would have been a system to concentrate extra salt in the seawater, before boiling off the water to extract the salt. The exact salt tax rate varied, highest during wartime, but between 1-10 shillings per bushel during the period in question, compared to about half a shilling per bushel to make IIRC. Assuming that those who operated it weren't just fisherman making it for themselves, and the scale suggests not, they would be selling the salt. They would of course be wanting hard currency for it. Now as this is an illegal operation they may have to take off suddenly if the authorities show up. Thus they may have to leave something heavy, like coinage, behind, though not in something near as elaborate as the Money Pit. THat something could still be waiting for someone to find. Certainly not in the "two million Pounds forty feet below" but maybe a hundred Pounds or more

TL;DR there might plausibly in OTL be someones mid 1700's illegal profits stashed on the island somewhere

18. marathag Well-Known Member

OTL there were a lot of Salt Works all around New England coast, and they mostly used small windmill driven pumps to get seawater to evaporating pools or tanks. You really don't need to dig much at all to do that.
    Seems like too much work was put in at Oak Island just for the returns on a small saltworks

19. Dilvish Well-Known Member

I remember the tales of spontaneous human combustion. As an impressionable pre-teen and young teen, those were disturbing. And Oak Island was a great cool mystery. It was the late 70's for me.

20. Carl Schwamberger Well-Known Member

The Joltes article of 2006 look interesting. the others are a rehash of much older items, some I think date back to the 1960s.

I seriously doubt any treasure ended in a complex mine. The ships usually traveled in convoys & the cargo was recoverable it would have been. Otherwise it would be in a offshore wreck. One other points made by a earlier history, published in the 1980s was the lack of a through academic level archeological survey of the general are of the island. Theres been bits and pieces, but nothing comprehensive. This is understandable considering the cost and any realistic incentive. Odds are all it would turn are a few more tools dropped between 1535 & 2018, & a slim possibility of a old ship wreck.