WI: The War of Northern Secession

Wow, I'm surprised to see that people are responding to this again after so long. I'll admit that I haven't worked on this idea in a good while, with school and finals being my focus as of late. But it is very encouraging to see that people may really be interested in this idea. As for the capital, I was thinking potentially Warwick RI as @Arcavius said. As to the size of the northern secession, I'm not exactly sure. I didn't want it to include the entire north as I can't see states like Illinois and Indiana seceding against slavery. Sure, they were free states, but unless the southern union was especially brutal, I can't see it happening. As to the name, I was thinking of calling it the New England Confederacy, the NEC. This is because it would originate from there and then move on to include more states. I did have a president in mind for the NEC, but I can't remember who it was. I'll have to look at some of my old notes if you guys are really curious. Anyway, thanks for the new responses!

As to the size of the northern secession, I'm not exactly sure. I didn't want it to include the entire north as I can't see states like Illinois and Indiana seceding against slavery. Sure, they were free states, but unless the southern union was especially brutal, I can't see it happening. As to the name, I was thinking of calling it the New England Confederacy, the NEC. This is because it would originate from there and then move on to include more states. I did have a president in mind for the NEC, but I can't remember who it was. I'll have to look at some of my old notes if you guys are really curious. Anyway, thanks for the new responses!

Hmmm. You can have the majority Yankee-settled states and regions of states secede then. These were the most heavily settled-by-New Englanders and connected to them, and many of them had would-be state or territory proposals that showed how unique they were culture-wise to their states (even more so back then).

1. New England states (derp :p )
2. Upstate New York including and above Delaware, Greene, and Columbia counties. Easily splittable into a "Hudson" (central NY) and "Niagara" (western NY) halves of upstate. So settled by New Englanders, New York mayor Fernando Wood moaned on downstate being tied to upstate!
3. The northern third of Pennsylvania ("Westmoreland", which was proposed to be made into a state till compromise in 1786).
4. The northern third of Ohio (the old Western Reserve, which was proposed to be made into a formal "Erie Territory" way back before Ohio state was simply carved out).

I can't see states like Illinois and Indiana seceding against slavery.

Agreed. In 1860 Lincoln only got about 51% there, and not all Republican voters would go along with secession, esp if it meant losing their outlet to the Gulf of Mexico.

He also got only 52% in Ohio and iirc abt 54% in NY and PA. So those are at least doubtful. I can see it being limited to New England.

Hm.. I've been thinking about this idea a lot lately again, and I'm wondering about the list of presidents that would make this happen.

Hm...
John A Quitman (D) 1841-1849
Lewis Cass (D) 1849-1850*
Robert Rhett (D) 1850-1853
John Bell (W) 1853-1857
Franklin Pierce (D) 1857-18??**

* dies
** outbreak of Northern Seccession?

Northern Confederacy Map.png
In order to find a way to orchestrate a War of Northern Secession, I think one good way is the British fur companies encouraging settlement much earlier, cutting the United States off from the Pacific.