WI The USA Kept £sd?

Official money in BNA was £sd before 1783, even though Spanish silver was used quite a bit, after all silver is silver if the weight is the same.
But what if they stuck to the same type of money they had before. No kings head of course, but the same system. Even now the US still uses imperial, not real imperial, but their version or it for just about everything apart from money.
Would things like oil still be paid in US money?

Type about this for a while.:)

If this is more of a subject for another section of the site, the powers that be, know what to do.

If I understand your question correctly, what you're getting at is what if the US didn't use a decimal currency? So the US would use something like the old British system of 12 pence to the shilling, 20 shilling to the pound?

If that's what you mean to ask, then the question is how would the US subdivide its currency. Historically the US used Spanish dollars far more than pounds. The modern USD is originally based on the Spanish dollar and short of completely altering the early American economy, I can't see why the US would ever use the pound as its basis over the Spanish dollar. However, historically the US has had a fondness for dividing the Spanish dollar up into bits, that is 1/8 of a dollar or 12.5 cents. I suspect that if the US must use a non-decimal system it would be based on this system. The weirdness of having a coin worth 12.5 cents could be resolved by doubling 12.5 to 25 - so you get 25 cents to the bit and 8 bits to the dollar; 200 cents to the dollar all told. Hopefully this would be imperial enough for your purposes.

Now supposing the U.S. used this "bit-dollar" the real question is what would change? Before the wave of British and former Dominion decimalizations in the 60s and early 70s, I suspect no one would seriously care. The strength of the US economy would still ensure that the dollar was the default currency for the world. After say 1990, computers are sufficiently advanced that the effects of having a weird currency subdivision wouldn't impact high finance at all. That leaves an interesting window between 1970 and 1990 when you could get some real butterfly effects. For instance as the Japanese economy booms in the 80s you may get some of the other Pacific Rim countries favoring the Yen over the weird-to-count Dollar as their reserve currency at least moreso than OTL. When the bottom falls out of the Japanese economy this could trigger the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis a couple of years early, or have it happen on time but worse. The problem is once you get to this point there are a lot of moving parts and its very hard to figure out what the effects could be - you could be looking at an accelerated Dot-com Bubble, but you could also be looking at a lessened one.

There's also all the small behavioral stuff: people throughout US history might spend their money slightly differently because of the psychological effects of different currency subdivision. Admittedly this might not be huge, cognitive biases like "first number bias" wouldn't be impacted much by a change in the trailing numbers of a price. Pre-printed menus and such would probably be written in a weird format like $$.xyz where xyz < 200 cents.

Hopefully someone else has some ideas - I'm really just spitballing now.

I'm wondering what would have happened if the Americans printed so much money that people give it up in frustration and Americans trades in British pounds to today. Look at Zimbabwe!

I'm wondering what would have happened if the Americans printed so much money that people give it up in frustration and Americans trades in British pounds to today. Look at Zimbabwe!

Greece was another example of that - too many zeros for the drachmas - before it changed to the euros. Now its debts have too many zeros.

In the colonial era prices and bookkeeping were done in The british standard of Pounds, shilling, pence but all of the coinage was non British. The British had laws prohibiting the export of precious metal currency to the colonies. So the US used a wide variety of Dutch, French, spanish, portuguese, Danish and local currencies.

So in order for this to happen you'd have to have British coin in widespread circulation.

Greece was another example of that - too many zeros for the drachmas - before it changed to the euros. Now its debts have too many zeros.

The question is what would prompt the US to print so much money in the first place? There'd either be a massively destructive war or a dangerously incompetent regime taking over. Either way the butterfly effects would be enormous and far outstrip the butterfly effects from just having a weirdly denominated currency.

As a case of a currency with a lot of zeroes but without hyper inflation, the South Korean Won gets along fine despite being ~1000 Won to 1 US Dollar. The denominations are literally so large that the smallest coin comes in 10 Won, but its value has been pretty stable against the US Dollar, Euro and Yen so no one cares that it's a little odd.

The question is what would prompt the US to print so much money in the first place?

You're about to answer your own question.

There'd either be a massively destructive war or a dangerously incompetent regime taking over

And the latter one can exist in peace.

Either way the butterfly effects would be enormous and far outstrip the butterfly effects from just having a weirdly denominated currency.

I can imagine a way to minimize (but obviously not get rid of) the butterfly effect. As long as the Federal Government is only incompetent in terms of printing money but is otherwise running (an example is some Chinese emperors with paper money after the first one who introduced it, everything else ran fine but these emperors just didn't understand until a few inflationary failures), you can have a stable society. For a functioning economy one needs a functioning currency. No one says it has to be the dollar. So I imagine a government that is only incompetent money-wise (hey it's happened before and it's possible), then everyone gives up the dollar and use pounds and the economy is functioning with pounds. Viola, the economy works and butterfly effects are minimized! Not to say there wouldn't be any...

They kind of did, in the early Republic. By the end of the American Revolution, Continental currency was trading at basically 1% of face value (because the government had a war to fight, and no way to raise revenue; under the Articles of Confederation, all decisions had to be unanimous, so the anti-tax zealots in Rhode Island were able to block any attempt to pass any sort of tax, leaving the country on the brink of bankruptcy and eventually leading to scrapping the Articles in favor of the Constitution).

That's one reason the US government stuck to only issuing gold and silver coins after the ARW until the Civil War, and then went back to the gold-standard (or gold/silver standard, depending on the era) until well into the 20th century.

They kind of did, in the early Republic. By the end of the American Revolution, Continental currency was trading at basically 1% of face value (because the government had a war to fight, and no way to raise revenue; under the Articles of Confederation, all decisions had to be unanimous, so the anti-tax zealots in Rhode Island were able to block any attempt to pass any sort of tax, leaving the country on the brink of bankruptcy and eventually leading to scrapping the Articles in favor of the Constitution).

That's one reason the US government stuck to only issuing gold and silver coins after the ARW until the Civil War, and then went back to the gold-standard (or gold/silver standard, depending on the era) until well into the 20th century.

Isn't a Continental Dollar inflation adjusted worth more than a 2000 dollar?

But that's not quite incompetent enough because people didn't actually give up on the dollar. The Federalists put in the Constitution, gained the ability to raise taxes, and then use gold coins or gold backed dollars and people had faith in these.

It's probably worth noting that the British coin Crown was also known as a Dollar. 1 Crown = 5 Shillings = 1/4 Pound.
Apparently Crowns were often restruck Spanish 8-Reals hence the same name.