Chapman

Donor
For the purposes of a story i'm currently writing, I was hoping to get some insight on this. The essential idea is that, at the signing of the Torrijos–Carter Treaties in 1977, President Jimmy Carter is assassinated by hard-line Communist terrorists from Venezuela, Panama, and Cuba. In response, the US invades Venezuela and Panama, and blockades Cuba (with intentions of a later invasion). So, what would the global response be to such military action, and how successful could the US be in occupying Venezuela?

The US armed forces were in a pretty poor state at this time and the anti war movement had not yet faded. It was radicalize Latin America either way and a lot pro US regimes would fall.

wikipipes

Banned
For the purposes of a story i'm currently writing, I was hoping to get some insight on this. The essential idea is that, at the signing of the Torrijos–Carter Treaties in 1977, President Jimmy Carter is assassinated by hard-line Communist terrorists from Venezuela, Panama, and Cuba. In response, the US invades Venezuela and Panama, and blockades Cuba (with intentions of a later invasion). So, what would the global response be to such military action, and how successful could the US be in occupying Venezuela?

In this instance, any action of the military sort will be specifically focused on Venezuela. Secondly, I doubt the United States would invade due to the assassination of a president, the FBI and the government in Venezuela would work cooperatively to investigate. I don't see the rationale for murdering Carter, I derive that you are implying that Cuba (in particular its government) sanctioned such actions.

This is ASB, without further explanation of the people involved an the conspiracy.

Chapman

Donor
In this instance, any action of the military sort will be specifically focused on Venezuela. Secondly, I doubt the United States would invade due to the assassination of a president, the FBI and the government in Venezuela would work cooperatively to investigate. I don't see the rationale for murdering Carter, I derive that you are implying that Cuba (in particular its government) sanctioned such actions.

This is ASB, without further explanation of the people involved an the conspiracy.

To be fair, there's more to the idea than what I explained in the OP (didn't want to give away too much), but either way it would appear I do have a gross misunderstanding of Venezuela at this point in history. Thanks for the response.