So I was reading about the Constitutional Convention, and I was wondering, what if something more akin to the Virginia Plan was implemented? Where the President has mostly the same powers as OTL, but is elected by the legislature rather than more directly by the electoral college. Keep in mind that the Senate at this time was elected by the States legislatures rather than directly by the people of each state.

I guess US politics would be more like modern British politics, where people mostly vote for MPs as proxies for who they want as Prime Minister. So individual Congressmen almost certainly, and Congress itself most likely, would be less important.

Through which process?

If the election goes to Congress under present provisions, state U.S. house delegations each get a single vote for president while each U.S. senator gets a vote for vice president.

In a scenario where Congress elects the president I could see a scenario where they all get together as a Conclave and get one vote apiece. There's a chance the Senate remains undemocratic to give the states themselves a voice in the process, with elections for state legislatures becoming far more contested given the domino effect on the selection of the Executive. Reform in this context would largely focus on 1.) expanding the franchise and 2.) creating balanced congressional districts/state legislative districts. The introduction of presidential primaries would also act a means to demonstrate popular will to the legislature, and you could end up with a system where supposedly non-binding primary results just end up getting rubber stamped similar to the degredation of the electoral college, which was originally intended to employ a much more critical role in the selection process. Unless of course people decide that's too much work and push an amendment to directly elect the president.

I guess US politics would be more like modern British politics, where people mostly vote for MPs as proxies for who they want as Prime Minister. So individual Congressmen almost certainly, and Congress itself most likely, would be less important.
State level politics would also probably be much more important, considering the people you elect to the State Senate and House decide on your Senator who helps elect the President.

Last edited: