WI: The UK fights on after a Dunkirk disaster?

marathag

Banned
BoB still happens, and that ends pretty much the same way, as would Mers-el Kebir, as those were RAF and RN, not the Army that's now POWs in France
That naval attack, along with the BoB, the real events that displayed the UK was in it for the duration to the USA, not the rescue of the BEF

Churchill said the right things at the right moment. Doubtful if any other leader could have done it - or been listened to.

It is probably all correct as it is said above, but one thing (I believe) all had in common was that invasion might have been a scare, but even so ... ("i am not saying they can't invade, but i said they can't come by sea - Said about Napoleon).

It is hard to see anyone wanting to suggest or accept terms. Halifax (despite all things said) would not have been the one either.

What I can see is a 'fizzle'. Nobody can get to grips with each other so it sort of just dies out. Especially if there is no US commitment. The lack of qualified commanders would be a big drawback for UK. Also the amount of manpower available. The loss of BEF would be severe. There would be no core to build a new army around.

And if it just fizzles, nobody is going to attack anyone some 3-4 years later. Trade would probably have started again.

But that might take it a bit too far - admittedly.

(And Hitler not being Hitler as well)
The loss of the BEF is more devastating than one thinks. The men who were in Operation Compass were the best of the British. I can't see Compass happening here.

Dunkirk was a disaster, and they did fight on in the aftermath. Churchill himself said it was important not to treat Dunkirk as a victory.

Because it wasn't. It was a fighting retreat.

The worlds largest empire loses an expeditionary force...so?
Britain lost less 400k men total in the entire second world war, 600k in the first one that scarred the country for a generation
This is half that in one stroke. It won't make them lose the war, because they do not rely on the army for their survival, but answering "so what?" to the greatest military defeat of the British nation in its entire existence is a...weird reaction.

marathag

Banned
Britain lost less 400k men total in the entire second world war, 600k in the first one that scarred the country for a generation
This is half that in one stroke. It won't make them lose the war, because they do not rely on the army for their survival, but answering "so what?" to the greatest military defeat of the British nation in its entire existence is a...weird reaction.
Well, since they weren't Soviets or Jews, those POWs wouldn't be worked or starved to death in vast amounts, so would be around inn1945 at Wars End. Dunkirk was not planned to be turned into a field of corpses, with the Nazis giving No Quarter.

Well, since they weren't Soviets or Jews, those POWs wouldn't be worked or starved to death in vast amounts, so would be around inn1945 at Wars End. Dunkirk was not planned to be turned into a field of corpses, with the Nazis giving No Quarter.

Aside from not knowing wether that will stay true, I meant that those guys are irrecoverable losses for that war, and will make up a very large chunk of all irrecoverable losses.

As said, nothing that will lead to Britain falling, but some people here are acting like this is a loss barely worth acknowledging, if not activly beneficial for Britain, and thats just lunacy.

kham_coc

Banned
The reality is that it doesn't matter one way or another.
British pride and the navy will keep the uk in the war for a while yet regardless, and then barbarossa happens.
Which is what mattered in the end.
With no eastern front, Germany would have won, and that would have been the case (or not the case) wheter all or none of the bef had been extracted.

trinity

Banned
Karl-Heinz Frieser demolishing demolishing Churchill's "Dunkirk Myth" in his "The Blitzkrieg Legend"...

Action at Poperinge
The route back from Brooke's position to Dunkirk passed through the town of Poperinge (known to most British sources as "Poperinghe"), where there was a bottleneck at a bridge over the Yser canal. Most of the main roads in the area converged on that bridge. On 27 May, the Luftwaffe bombed the resulting traffic jam thoroughly for two hours, destroying or immobilising about 80% of the vehicles. Another Luftwaffe raid—on the night of 28/29 May—was illuminated by flares as well as the light from burning vehicles. The 44th Division in particular had to abandon many guns and lorries, losing almost all of them between Poperinge and the Mont.[23]

The German 6. Panzerdivision could probably have destroyed the 44th Division at Poperinge on 29 May, thereby cutting off 3rd Division and 50th Division as well. Thompson calls it "astonishing" that they did not, but they were distracted by investing the nearby town of Cassel.[24]

trinity

Banned
If you could explain what this myth is? Are you referring to 'the little ships'? Or miracle at Dunkirk? Or what exactly? Because you do understand that Churchill was expected to raise morale even if he knew it was all a close run thing.
Read the extract first. There's many of them.

Garrison

Donor
Well if it is about the Halt Order that was a 'myth' perpetrated by German Generals keen to buff their reputations post war. The halt order was a reasonable response th the state of the Panzer divisions, and their priority was finishing the French not going after a clearly trapped BEF.

Karl-Heinz Frieser demolishing demolishing Churchill's "Dunkirk Myth" in his "The Blitzkrieg Legend"...

Well, having read it, "Demolishing" seems a bit of a stretch. It basically asserts (without evidence, at least on the page shown) that Churchills government would have fallen if Dunkirk had not been evacuated. It asserts that "most Anglo-Saxon authors" agree on this, without example or quote. It then assumes that Churchill's government falling would have led to Britain leaving the war and speculates on whether Germany could have beaten the Soviets alone. It concludes that it is important not to overstate the effect of Dunkirk " which British historians are busy cultivating". The obvious nefarious purpose of said historians being to assign to Britain a central role in the defeat of Germany in WW2.

All in all a document (at least as presented) pretty bare of evidence one way or the other.

EDIT: I forgot that it does have something that could be considered evidence, in the form of a later quote from Brooke, saying that it was difficult to see how the army would have recovered without the BEF being saved. This could be considered evidence but the context of the quote is missing, making it hard to confirm one way or the other

Last edited:

trinity

Banned
Well if it is about the Halt Order that was a 'myth' perpetrated by German Generals keen to buff their reputations post war. The halt order was a reasonable response th the state of the Panzer divisions, and their priority was finishing the French not going after a clearly trapped BEF.
Well, having read it, "Demolishing" seems a bit of a stretch. It basically asserts (without evidence, at least on the page shown) that Churchills government would have fallen if Dunkirk had not been evacuated. It asserts that "most Anglo-Saxon authors" agree on this, without example or quote. It then assumes that Churchill's government falling would have led to Britain leaving the war and speculates on whether Germany could have beaten the Soviets alone. It concludes that it is important not to overstate the effect of Dunkirk " which British historians are busy cultivating". The obvious nefarious purpose of said historians being to assign to Britain a central role in the defeat of Germany in WW2.

All in all a document (at least as presented) pretty bare of evidence one way or the other.

EDIT: I forgot that it does have something that could be considered evidence, in the form of a later quote from Brooke, saying that it was difficult to see how the army would have recovered without the BEF being saved. This could be considered evidence but the context of the quote is missing, making it hard to confirm one way or the other
Source?

Exactly which author states all of this?

Last edited:

Garrison

Donor

And the underlying assumption appears to be he would have been replaced by someone who would have been stupid enough to sign a treaty with Hitler and get Parliament to agree to it. And lets be candid the British firmly blamed the French for events, so I really don't see Churchill falling.

Garrison

Donor
Well I'm not sure Artostark's assessment of your limited quote really needs a source, but I would recommend 'Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory' by Julian Thompson, though I thought the halt order not originating with Hitler was essentially the consensus based on the evidence currently.

trinity

Banned
Well I'm not sure Artostark's assessment of your limited quote really needs a source, but I would recommend 'Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory' by Julian Thompson, though I thought the halt order not originating with Hitler was essentially the consensus based on the evidence currently.
Thompson cites this thesis directly from Frieser, so it's well clear about who is the most authoritative source.

Garrison

Donor
Thompson cites this thesis directly from Frieser, so it's well clear about who is the most authoritative source.
He mentions that as one source, but he quotes a number of sources and the book does indeed state that the Halt Order did not originate with Hitler. But at this point I have no idea if that is your position as you have done done nothing but offer an evidence free, context free quote and failed to clearly state your own view. I don't believe that anyone here is arguing that the BEF couldn't be overrun, simply that its survival is far less 'miraculous' than the common mythology paints it as being. Again if you want another viewpoint on the reaction of the British after the OTL catastrophe in France try Operation Sealion by Leo McKinstry.

Considering how most of what Frieser has written are direct quotations from historians' judgements on this subject matter, your analysis is clearly suffering from arbitrary criticism.
You have provided material absent evidence or context and refuse to lay out your own viewpoint. People can only respond to what you choose to provide based on their own reading on the subject. You can assert Frieser is a definitve source, but you've provided nothing that would support that claim.

Last edited:

trinity

Banned
He mentions that as one source, but he quotes a number of sources and the book does indeed state that the Halt Order did not originate with Hitler. But at this point I have no idea if that is your position as you have done done nothing but offer an evidence free, context free quote and failed to clearly state your own view. I don't believe that anyone here is arguing that the BEF couldn't be overrun, simply that its survival is far less 'miraculous' than the common mythology paints it as being. Again if you want another viewpoint on the reaction of the British after the OTL catastrophe in France try Operation Sealion by Leo McKinstry.
The Halt Order originates with OKH theory was originally formulated by Frieser: it was him who originally tackled the Dunkirk miracle as mythologized by Churchill.

McKinstry basically repackages Thompson's points in his own words, so there's to that.

You have posted no quotes or evidence with any context at all, so the ball's in your court.