We all know the Master System, right? Its a 8-bit home video game console released by Sega in 1985 to compete with the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was a success in Europe and Brazil with the Master System's lifespan still going on in the latter country. However, it was a failure in Japan and North America because it had a smaller library of games and fewer well-reviewed games than the NES, due in part to Nintendo licensing policies requiring platform exclusivity, although it had newer, improved hardware.

So, what if the Master System was a success in Japan and North America? How would that happen without ASB?

marathag

Banned
Visibility. There was little advertising. Gamers need to know about it.
Availability. Needed to be at a major marketer
Price. undercut the NES and 7800, though games could be slightly more expensive
Games. That's the big thing. Need decent launch titles, and library of well known titles to show off the better graphics
Controller. Joystick. sorry, even today, hate D-Pad only controllers But this may just be me- But I don't think I'm alone in that in the 1980s

So, what if the Master System was a success in Japan and North America? How would that happen without ASB?

Install the YM2413 chip in the international version of the Master System instead of keeping it Japan-exclusive. Advertise the nicer sound compared to NES's brrts alongside the improved visuals and better performance.

Rely on European devs to fill out the catalog (since Nintendo was much weaker in Europe and didn't have those yakuza-style exclusivity deals).

Don't fuck up the European launch. Use the profits from the Euro market to fight Nintendo in the US (might try to give Japan a miss, since it's a bit of a bloodbath).