WI: the invention of paired stirrups in 250 BC(Hellenistic world). Effects in Military?

Prologue:

It seems like such a simple idea. Why not add two pieces to the saddle, hanging down on either side, for your feet to rest in while you ride a horse? After all, humans seem to have domesticated the horse around 4500 BCE. The saddle was invented at least as early as 800 BCE, yet the first proper stirrup probably came about roughly 1,000 years later, around 200-300-400 CE. Nobody knows who first invented the stirrup, or even in which part of Asia the inventor lived. Indeed, this is a highly controversial topic among scholars of horsemanship, ancient and medieval warfare, and the history of technology.

WI:
In my ATL around 250 BC, Greeks(Archimedes heh..) invented the paired stirrups. So i am curious what would be the affect of paired stirrups in this era armies. Obviously this would lead to new battle tactics and formations. What would be the effect for example in Ptolemaic Eypt ,Rome,Seleucids,Macedon,Carthage?

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

My ATL if you interested
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-hellenistic-period-massalia-timeline.392708/

Yun-shuno

Banned
Prologue:

It seems like such a simple idea. Why not add two pieces to the saddle, hanging down on either side, for your feet to rest in while you ride a horse? After all, humans seem to have domesticated the horse around 4500 BCE. The saddle was invented at least as early as 800 BCE, yet the first proper stirrup probably came about roughly 1,000 years later, around 200-300-400 CE. Nobody knows who first invented the stirrup, or even in which part of Asia the inventor lived. Indeed, this is a highly controversial topic among scholars of horsemanship, ancient and medieval warfare, and the history of technology.

WI:
In my ATL around 250 BC, Greeks(Archimedes heh..) invented the paired stirrups. So i am curious what would be the affect of paired stirrups in this era armies. Obviously this would lead to new battle tactics and formations. What would be the effect for example in Ptolemaic Eypt ,Rome,Seleucids,Macedon,Carthage?

Looking forward to hear your opinions.

My ATL if you interested
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-hellenistic-period-massalia-timeline.392708/
More maneuverability with horses off the top of my head.

PhilippeO

Banned
Eh, there has been thread about stirrup before. The conclusion is stirrup cannot be invented before hard saddle invented first. Otherwise weight from Stirrup would be distributed unhealthily to too small part of horse. searching older thread might gain useful detail.