WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder if President Thich Tri Quang will face a coup or an assassination attempt? I still want to see how Regan deals with Vietnam(s) and if it becomes his 'white whale'.

Muskie probably another year to see the results of his policies. Unfortunately he has not got that, and the new Administration will take credit for his changes. I hope he gives Ronnie a good show at the polls- this does not seem the same landslide situation from OTL.

I agree with the fans about making the Klingons 3-D people as opposed to paper thin 'baddies' - Trek should be more complex than that imho.

Given they know its coming, I wonder if TAS sets up any plots or just background tensions for the Klingon War?

The Movie is going to need somethign about Organians and their Treaty.

I wonder if President Thich Tri Quang will face a coup or an assassination attempt? I still want to see how Regan deals with Vietnam(s) and if it becomes his 'white whale'.

Muskie probably another year to see the results of his policies. Unfortunately he has not got that, and the new Administration will take credit for his changes. I hope he gives Ronnie a good show at the polls- this does not seem the same landslide situation from OTL.

I agree with the fans about making the Klingons 3-D people as opposed to paper thin 'baddies' - Trek should be more complex than that imho.

Given they know its coming, I wonder if TAS sets up any plots or just background tensions for the Klingon War?

The Movie is going to need somethign about Organians and their Treaty.
Andropov is going to meddle in Vietnam too. Thich Tri Quang is going to face a coup attempt from the CIA most likely, and definitely if Reagan is President. We won't see a landslide in this election, as I've indicated that the polling is close.

Reference will be made to the Klingons losing votes to the Federation on other Neutral Zone systems they claimed (Archanis, Capella) and that the Federation is slowly eating away at their territory via the Council of Peace's decisions. We also might have Klingon intelligence determine that the Federation is working on Genesis or some instant terraforming device which is way different than OTL canon. The Klingons will be backed into a corner, or at least they think they will be backed into a corner. In my TMP there will be a reference that Sherman's Planet is 50 light years from Kronos and the rest of the Sherman sector is in Klingon space. So if the Council of Peace gives Sherman's Planet to the Federation, it's too close for comfort for the Klingons, who will believe that the Federation can get to Kronos in 2 days with an invasion fleet. Think of West Berlin in the heart of East Germany during the Cold War as a real life reference.

It's hard to set up the war in TAS because it's a cartoon but some stories could be written increasing tensions. The Organian Treaty was already undone in TOS ITTL by the Organians in one of the episodes, which is the reason why the Council of Peace was formed

Last edited:
Before I write today's update, it's going to be split into two because it's a bunch of news stories and the start of Year 3 of TAS ITTL. I might have to write one part today and the second part tomorrow...

Chapter 109: September 1976
In this update, Ronald Reagan makes his case for President at a rally in Pennsylvania, where he attacks President Muskie on the various issues of the 1976 election ITTL. President Muskie goes to Ohio for a rally, outlining his accomplishments. Plus, riots escalate in Czechoslovakia as more youth leaders are arrested, with Alexander Dubcek and Vaclav Havel now joining in, causing instability in the Warsaw Pact. Finally, the beginning of Star Trek TAS season 3 ITTL. I'll do it all in one update.

Highlights from Ronald Reagan's rally in Altoona, Pennsylvania, on September 14, 1976:

Good afternoon, my fellow Pennsylvanians. Thank you Senator Tower for the powerful introduction. I ran for President to bring America back to greatness as the leader of the free world, a position which we have shirked and abrogated during this liberal Democratic administration under President Muskie. There is unrest all over the world, and it is due to Muskie being soft on communism. South Vietnam, previously on the way to safety as a free country under President Nixon, looks like it is about to fall to communism unless President Muskie takes action, which he is unlikely to do. The only action he seems to be pondering is removing our remaining troops, which will guarantee South Vietnam's defeat. We must not back out of our commitment to the brave South Vietnamese. President Muskie said all options were on the table in regards to another invasion by Communist forces, and what did he do? Allow a Buddhist monk with Communist leanings to overthrow the government which was guaranteeing their independence. In Czechoslovakia, brave young men and women are laying their lives on the line protesting their communist government, and President Muskie will simply let the Soviet Union roll their tanks in once again to crush them. As President, I will never let a country that wants freedom get stomped by the boot heel of Communism. It is our position as leader of the free world to never let that happen. In Cambodia, a horrible genocide is being perpetrated by Pol Pot, a monster who is committing crimes against the Cambodian people similar to what Hitler did to the Jews in Europe a generation ago. When we say "never again," we mean "never again." I will remove Pol Pot from power in Cambodia if I am elected President, and I do not care what Brezhnev and the Soviets or the Communist Chinese think.

This economy, as you like to say in Pennsylvania, is in the dumps. Unemployment is now at seven percent, and inflation has risen to six percent. President Muskie has done nothing to prevent this stagnation from occurring, and he is responsible for all the lost jobs plaguing the country. When the manufacturing sector needed to be strengthened, President Muskie instead proposed environmental reforms that killed industry in this part of the country. In a Reagan administration, industry will thrive again, and I will remove those curbs which are too restrictive on our great factories, the economic engines of America. I will cut taxes to allow more small businesses to thrive, manufacturing to grow jobs again, and relieve the stress of the federal government spending too much on healthcare by proposing a free market system which will not bankrupt the country. I will stop the moral decay occurring in our schools and our cities. President Muskie simply thinks we can throw money at the problem of underachieving schools, and that will fix it. We need moral values and a God-fearing public to fix what is wrong with our schools. Authority figures like teachers must be respected again; youth on the street simply think they can spit on the police and our veterans and get away with it. In a Reagan presidency, I will not allow it. We are currently slightly ahead in the polls, but that is not enough. Polls don't vote, people do. The only poll that matters is on Election Day, November 2, and I need every conservative minded and moderate American to pull the lever for myself and Senator Tower. Thank you very much, and may God bless the United States of America.

President Muskie's rally in Cincinnati, Ohio, two days later, on September 16, 1976:

Vice President Sanford is a charismatic speaker, isn't he? He's a hard act to follow, but I will do my best. The Muskie record is one of success. We have achieved peace in the Middle East between Israel and Egypt. We are working on a further peace with Israel and Jordan. Czechoslovakia is about to break free from the Iron Curtain and join the free world, a huge victory in Europe. We are dividing another Communist nation, Yugoslavia, from the Soviet sphere of influence. South Vietnam is free, when last year every intelligence estimate believed it would be conquered by the North Vietnamese. We are working on a settlement with the new South Vietnamese government to keep them in the American orbit, and I anticipate success on that front. We will bring our troops home, at long last, from Vietnam at the end of the year, ending our involvement in a war that has seemingly gone forever. I have maintained detente, a thaw of relations, with the U.S.S.R., reducing tensions that almost caused World War III fourteen years ago, when the Soviets placed nuclear missiles in Cuba. The Soviet government and economy is at its weakest point in decades. America is winning the battle of hearts and minds with the Warsaw Pact.

At home, the Muskie administration has given affordable healthcare to every American family. Americans will no longer have to worry about paying expensive medical bills if they have children. Children's health care is free, regardless of financial status. We are continuing the war on poverty that the great Democratic heroes, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John Kennedy, and Lyndon Johnson waged before me, and we are winning that fight. Urban poverty has declined by 25% in my administration, and schools are being revitalized. Every American child is receiving the best education in the world, with state of the art schools being constructed in our communities. We have revolutionized industry by making it cleaner, protecting this important environment that we all cherish so dearly. We will never see a fire on Lake Erie again caused by rampant industrial pollution. Industry initially had trouble meeting the environmental standards, but they are complying, and the lie that Mr. Reagan is spreading regarding industry cutting jobs because of environmental standards is exactly that: a lie. It is a pernicious lie. Governor Reagan has been in Hollywood so long that he forgot what hard work looked like, and has no experience that can relate to union workers that support the Democrats. Unions know where their bread is buttered, and it isn't with the Republican Party, who tries to crush unions. I have proposed a $50 billion stimulus that Congress must pass, and I have heard enough of the complaints about pork barrel spending; they are hogwash. This stimulus must pass to revitalize the economy and provide good, well-paying jobs. If you elect Ronald Reagan, chaos will follow. But if you reelect me and Vice President Sanford, you will have a steady hand on the wheel instead of a reckless driver. Thank you very much.

SOVIETS MULLING SENDING TANKS AND INFANTRY DIVISIONS TO CZECHOSLOVAKIA

September 22, 1976

Reports from American intelligence indicate that the Soviets are massing troops on the Polish border, ready to enter Czechoslovakia to quell the revolts against their hardline Communist president, Gustav Husak. Over the past few months, Husak has arrested pro-democracy youth groups rebelling against his rule. President Muskie condemned Husak's actions, calling them "antithetical to freedom" and demanded that the youths be freed from prison. Protests in Prague have swelled to riots, and Husak's rule is believed to be endangered. The CIA believes that Alexander Dubcek, leader of the failed 1968 Prague Spring, and Czech actor Vaclav Havel are leading the protest movement against Husak. The Czechoslovakian military exacerbated the situation by firing into the protesting crowd, killing 10 and wounding another 50 civilians yesterday at Wenceslas Square. The USSR believes that the situation is spiraling out of control, and the Czechoslovakian military is ill-equipped to handle large scale protests. "We believe that the Soviets will attempt the same invasion they succeeded with in 1968," Secretary of Defense Cyrus Vance informed the media during a press conference. "If the Soviets enter Czechoslovakia again, we will retaliate with economic sanctions against Moscow, perhaps against their grain exports, and we will encourage all of NATO to do the same." Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan did not rule out sending American arms to Czechoslovakia to aid the protesters. "We're seeing cracks in the Iron Curtain, and we have to take advantage," Reagan said at a rally in Ohio yesterday.

SEASON 3 OF TAS begins on September 4, 1976 ITTL. I have to change the 5th Klingon captain's name to Kolag for my TMP, because I found out Kras was killed in Friday's Child, a second season episode.

EPISODE 33: THE FESARIUS (season premiere). The Enterprise crew runs into Balok again. Instead of promising the destruction of the Enterprise, he promises an alliance. The Enterprise crew have to determine whether Balok's outreach is genuine, or whether Balok is trying to bluff them, just like Kirk bluffed him in THE CORBOMITE MANEUVER. Balok's entreaties are genuine, with a catch: The Enterprise must produce the corbomite Kirk said it possessed when they met the last time. Scotty produces a small amount of material Kirk claims is corbomite, and Balok is bluffed again. Air date: September 4, 1976.

EPISODE 34: THE CAPELLAN CRISIS. The Enterprise revisits Capella IV, to enforce the mining contract the Capellans signed with the Federation in FRIDAY'S CHILD. Kolag, a Klingon captain who is a friend of the deceased Kras, comes back with a warship to demand that the Capellan system be ceded to the Klingons, since it lies in the Neutral Zone. Kirk refers the dispute to the Intergalactic Council of Peace. Kolag pleads to the Council that Capella going to the Federation will cause the Neutral Zone to be shifted into Klingon space. However, the Capellan leader, Eleen, wants admission into the Federation. The Council of Peace votes 5-4 in favor of the Federation, and the Klingons declare that if they lose another border dispute, war looms. Air date: September 11, 1976.

EPISODE 35: STRATOS. The Enterprise returns to Ardana in THE CLOUD MINDERS to review their offer of joining the Federation. However, Kirk, Spock and McCoy agree that Ardana cannot join the Federation unless the Troglytes are afforded the same rights as the citizens of Stratos. We see how society is both on the ground and in Stratos. The cloud city dwellers refuse to allow the Troglytes access to the cloud city, and Kirk turns their offer to join the Federation down, despite the fact that the planet is near the Klingon Neutral Zone. Ardana threatens to join the Klingon Empire. Air date: September 18, 1976.

EPISODE 36: ZYTHIA. Sulu and Arex are captured by the Zythians, an unknown species living on the edge of Federation space. The Zythians look like three-headed green aliens with six large earlobes. Kirk, Spock and McCoy have to figure out a way to rescue them, and find that the Zythians have a major weakness: soprano singing. Uhura sings several songs to distract the Zythians, whose ears cannot handle the high pitches of her soprano voice, and Sulu and Arex are freed, albeit reluctantly. Kirk offers the Zythians a transit deal through that sector of space, and relationships open between the Federation and the three-headed aliens. Air date: September 25, 1976.

Last edited:
So in the last update, I set up a contentious 1976 election with some fiery campaigning, started the final season of the Star Trek Animated Series, and set up another major crisis which will threaten to break out into World War III in Czechoslovakia (but won't, because we have to make it all the way through this timeline)...

My creativity is running a little low today, so I want to give myself an extra day to recharge my batteries. I'll most likely write the presidential debates update (October 1976) tomorrow and the election (November 1976) on Saturday. I need to watch a little bit of old school politics on Youtube to get the characterizations correct, in order to imagine how the debates would go.

In international politics, the plan is for American troops to start leaving South Vietnam to reinforce NATO in the Czechoslovakian crisis, which causes the Soviets to start rolling divisions into Czechoslovakia. The Muskie administration, before the election, will cut off grain imports from the Soviet Union along with their NATO allies, but Ronald Reagan believes NATO should also roll troops into Czechoslovakia or at least arm the rebellion

Short Update; October 1976 TAS Episodes
I do have enough creativity to write a quick update today for the next 5 episode summaries of the Animated Series. Then tomorrow, I'll do the longer world update and USA update, and Saturday I'll write the election of 1976 ITTL.

EPISODE 37: ARCHANIS PRIME. The Enterprise must break up a dilithium smuggling ring run by the Klingons on Archanis IV, a planet just on the Federation side of the Neutral Zone. Korax appears again to taunt the Enterprise crew, who eventually chase him off. Instead of going to the Council of Peace, Kirk claims the Archanis system for the Federation, creating a diplomatic dispute, because the Neutral Zone boundary will have to be changed again. Sarek determines that Kirk's claim for the Federation is legally correct, because the planet is in Federation space, although the outer edges of the Archanis system are in the Neutral Zone. Air date: October 2, 1976.

EPISODE 38: T'PRING. Spock returns to Vulcan to check on how T'Pring is doing. Despite the fact that they have had their run ins, they are still telepathically bonded, and T'Pring wants Spock to leave Starfleet and undergo the Kolinahr discipline, the purging of all emotion. Spock refuses T'Pring's entreaties, but promises to undergo Kolinahr if T'Pring stops trying to remove Vulcan from the Federation and play the Federation off against the Romulan Empire. T'Pring agrees, and Spock tells Kirk he will serve on the Enterprise for one more year, then return to Vulcan for Kolinahr. Air date: October 9, 1976.

EPISODE 39: SAMARA. Nyota Uhura has a younger sister, Samara, who wants to be on the Enterprise. Uhura attempts to get Samara transferred to the Enterprise so they can serve together, but Kirk denies the transfer because he fears that family members serving together will reduce Uhura's effectiveness as one of his command staff. Samara is upset that her sister cannot get her transfer, but Kirk promises that the two of them can work together on Kirk's staff when the Enterprise mission ends and Kirk is promoted to admiral. Air date: October 16, 1976.

EPISODE 40: LET'S PLAY TWO, PART I. The Enterprise crew is challenged again by the Potemkin to two games of baseball. The Potemkin crew wins the first game easily, 10-1, and the Enterprise crew is embarrassed, especially Bones, who gave up six runs in the first inning and never gave his team a chance. Bones promises to win the second game for the Enterprise, who accepts a rematch, with the series tied at 1 apiece (the Enterprise won a baseball game against the Potemkin 5-4 in the fourth season episode TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME ITTL). Air date, October 23, 1976.

EPISODE 41: LET'S PLAY TWO, PART II. Bones pitches a masterpiece, keeping the Potemkin team off the scoreboard for eight innings, However, the Enterprise crew is also unable to score. The game is scoreless entering the ninth inning, where the Potemkin scores a run to take the lead. Bones gets on base with a single in the bottom of the ninth, and Spock drives him in with two outs in the ninth with a double. Kirk then drives in Spock with a single to win the game 2-1 for the Enterprise, and the series. Air date, October 30, 1976.

Last edited:
Also, a few notes on the Trek spinoff series, starting with TNG, ITTL. I had outlined these a bit earlier in the timeline but this is a reminder both to me and the readers what will be in store when we move past the TOS era into the end of the 23rd century in one series and the 24th century in the rest.

TNG (1987-1993) will last for six seasons ITTL instead of seven IRL because they want to take more time to make a movie ITTL instead of rushing Generations into production like they did IRL. Gene Roddenberry will be less involved in its production, and Bob Justman will control the series for the first two or three seasons, then pass the torch to Rick Berman. Most of the first season episodes of TNG will not be produced ITTL. Instead, we start TNG with Doctor Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) AND the Crushers in Encounter at Farpoint, with Pulaski taking over for the first season. Then Gates McFadden takes over as the doctor for the rest of the series. Due to the success of the original series ITTL, NBC has been begging Gene Roddenberry for a spinoff for at least a decade, but Roddenberry is involved with getting TMP into production and wants to work on other projects, such as Battleground Earth and Andromeda. TNG will be a Nielsen top-ten rated drama for most of its run, with its first, third and fourth seasons being top-five in the Nielsens, bolstering NBC's already powerful primetime lineup during this period. There will only be three TNG feature films. The first one will be an INNER LIGHT style story with elements of YESTERDAY'S ENTERPRISE where Picard is caught in an anomaly and is transported back to the Stargazer, where he faces the dilemma of saving Jack Crusher. When he does so, he changes the timeline to cause the destruction of the Federation. Initially, he wants to save his friend for Beverly, but realizes that everything and everyone he loves will be destroyed. Q also appears in this movie, reminding Picard that the trial humanity faces never ends, so it will be a direct sequel to ALL GOOD THINGS. The TOS characters are not involved in the first TNG movie, unlike IRL ST: Generations. First Contact is the second TNG feature, and is largely the same as OTL. The third TNG movie will be a crossover/handover to DS9, depicting the Enterprise fighting the Dominion and liberating Betazed, which was captured by the Dominion IRL DS9.

DS9 (1993-1999) will last for its full seven season run and be largely the same as OTL. It will air on NBC for its first season, but switch to the Paramount network and anchor it after it does not succeed in the ratings. However, it becomes highly successful as Paramount Network's lead show. DS9 will have two feature films ITTL. The first one will involve a plot where Colonel Kira and the Defiant, commanded by Worf, take on the Borg (who were largely absent in DS9). The second movie will involve the return of the Dominion. Both movies will do OK at the box office, but not great. If anyone has a better idea for a DS9 feature, write it in the comments. Those were my two thoughts.

Instead of Voyager, we get a Captain Sulu series called STAR TREK EXCELSIOR (1994-1999). Sulu, with Chekov as his first officer, lead a largely inexperienced crew and show them the ropes of command. Uhura, as an admiral, makes frequent cameos, giving Sulu and Chekov missions, similar to the Mission Impossible series. The first season will involve the aftereffects of the Khitomer peace conference, where some Klingons don't want to make peace with the Federation (and some Starfleet ships don't want to make peace with the Klingons). NBC desperately wants this series to air on its network, but Paramount decides to keep this one in house too because of what happened with DS9.

In 1999, STAR TREK VOYAGER will premiere, and last for six seasons instead of seven.

Last edited:
he TOS characters are not involved in the first TNG movie, unlike IRL ST: Genera
You could do a tie in episode with the OTL characters.
At one point they talked about Picard talking to a hologram version of Kirk .
They decided that it would not work for a Movie but it be fine for a episode .
Also remember that McCoy, Spock and Scotty all did appear on Next Gen in the OTl.

You could do a tie in episode with the OTL characters.
At one point they talked about Picard talking to a hologram version of Kirk .
They decided that it would not work for a Movie but it be fine for a episode .
Also remember that McCoy, Spock and Scotty all did appear on Next Gen in the OTl.
That could work (Picard and the TNG crew talking to the TOS crew in a Holodeck episode), although it would cost a lot of money unless the TOS crew wanted to do the show for cheap.

RELICS will be slightly different ITTL because Scotty marries Uhura in this canon so he will be more heartbroken when he finds out on the computer that she's no longer alive. Scotty will find out that Spock is the only surviving member of his old crew and will want to see him, but Picard says he can't take Scotty to Romulus

Yeah well good luck 'saving' Czechoslovakia Reagan, nowt you can do there without causing WWIII. Cambodia might be easier but can you invade there and S. Vietnam?
As for the economy are you prepared to trash the country just so some industrialists can make a few more million which will never trickle down to the actual workers? You going to roll back healthcare so normal Americans - the voters- cannot afford medicine again? humm not a vote winner I think. "We need moral values and a God-fearing public to fix what is wrong with our schools. Authority figures like teachers must be respected again; youth on the street simply think they can spit on the police and our veterans and get away with it. In a Reagan presidency, I will not allow it. " - going to send in the police and army to campus' then Ronnie? What happened to free speech?

That $50b is pie in the sky and you know it Muskie, you are never going to get it. Sure you reformed health care and that is good, same with schools, but its not helping inflation or unemployment yet is it? Plus running away from S. Vietnam after so much blood and tears? Czechoslovakia is not going to break away and you know it.

Nice use of TAS to seed the Klingon War.

"T'Pring wants Spock to leave the Federation and undergo the Kolinahr discipline," do you mean leave Starfleet here? Also I doubt T'Pring will keep her end of that bargain.

The Potemkin baseball game sounds like filler to me, but I bet its harder to animate than other concepts.

Honestly TNG should last 7 seasons, sure skip some of the worst of season 1 and 2, but to do so you need to butterfly the writers strike which forced them to use the Phase II scripts. Plus no TV show of this type is going to fire off awesomeness from the start, that would be ASB. It needed the roughness to get smooth. So sure cut some of the worst stuff out (comedy fur Ferengi, that racist stereotype planet, Skin of Evil, Roddenberry's lawyer's influence etc) but I think you need to keep the good and bad. I seem to remember 7 seasons was a syndication number?

Why not have TNG do 7 and DS9 8 (wrap up of Dominion War). Give the first TNG movie a little more time to develop and give it to other people to create so Berman and co are less stressed trying to wrap up TNG, run DS9 and do a movie. It might be wise not to have TNG's first movie be something too 'deep' otherwise you might lose audiences - perhaps start with First Contact as a sequel/follow up to Best of Both Worlds, then the more 'thinky' one with Picard (TOS characters appear?), then the Dominion War one. No reason there should not be a fourth or more- indeed mix TNG and DS9 characters.

As for DS9 I would advise against making it a Paramount TV show. I think DS9 was 'allowed' to get away with some of the stuff it did was because it did not have to be as bland and sanitised as Voyager became for the network- I simply cannot see In a Pale Moonlight on PTV. While PTV will want a Trek show to headline their service I feel they will go with the proposed Excelsior series as it is a setting more folk are familiar with than DS9.

If you can manage a better relationship between the DS9 and movie office I think that would strengthen DS9 too allowing for more TNG crossover and possibly using TOS assets too - I'd love an Admiral Chekov episode on DS9 or Intelligence Chief Uhura sending the Defiant crew on a mission. Avoiding the Paramount breakup splits will help Trek a lot- perhaps spin all of Star Trek off into its own Corp inside the family of companies?

Finally, my suggestion for Voyager is a post Dominion War series exploring, reuniting, and reconnecting the UFP after the Dominion War- throw in some shady Firefly-ese characters, some PTSD, and locations from all across Trek history and I think you might have a winner. Add some existing characters to the cast too for continuity. No reason for it not to go 7 seasons as well.

Yeah well good luck 'saving' Czechoslovakia Reagan, nowt you can do there without causing WWIII. Cambodia might be easier but can you invade there and S. Vietnam?
As for the economy are you prepared to trash the country just so some industrialists can make a few more million which will never trickle down to the actual workers? You going to roll back healthcare so normal Americans - the voters- cannot afford medicine again? humm not a vote winner I think. "We need moral values and a God-fearing public to fix what is wrong with our schools. Authority figures like teachers must be respected again; youth on the street simply think they can spit on the police and our veterans and get away with it. In a Reagan presidency, I will not allow it. " - going to send in the police and army to campus' then Ronnie? What happened to free speech?

That $50b is pie in the sky and you know it Muskie, you are never going to get it. Sure you reformed health care and that is good, same with schools, but its not helping inflation or unemployment yet is it? Plus running away from S. Vietnam after so much blood and tears? Czechoslovakia is not going to break away and you know it.

Nice use of TAS to seed the Klingon War.

"T'Pring wants Spock to leave the Federation and undergo the Kolinahr discipline," do you mean leave Starfleet here? Also I doubt T'Pring will keep her end of that bargain.

The Potemkin baseball game sounds like filler to me, but I bet its harder to animate than other concepts.

Honestly TNG should last 7 seasons, sure skip some of the worst of season 1 and 2, but to do so you need to butterfly the writers strike which forced them to use the Phase II scripts. Plus no TV show of this type is going to fire off awesomeness from the start, that would be ASB. It needed the roughness to get smooth. So sure cut some of the worst stuff out (comedy fur Ferengi, that racist stereotype planet, Skin of Evil, Roddenberry's lawyer's influence etc) but I think you need to keep the good and bad. I seem to remember 7 seasons was a syndication number?

Why not have TNG do 7 and DS9 8 (wrap up of Dominion War). Give the first TNG movie a little more time to develop and give it to other people to create so Berman and co are less stressed trying to wrap up TNG, run DS9 and do a movie. It might be wise not to have TNG's first movie be something too 'deep' otherwise you might lose audiences - perhaps start with First Contact as a sequel/follow up to Best of Both Worlds, then the more 'thinky' one with Picard (TOS characters appear?), then the Dominion War one. No reason there should not be a fourth or more- indeed mix TNG and DS9 characters.

As for DS9 I would advise against making it a Paramount TV show. I think DS9 was 'allowed' to get away with some of the stuff it did was because it did not have to be as bland and sanitised as Voyager became for the network- I simply cannot see In a Pale Moonlight on PTV. While PTV will want a Trek show to headline their service I feel they will go with the proposed Excelsior series as it is a setting more folk are familiar with than DS9.

If you can manage a better relationship between the DS9 and movie office I think that would strengthen DS9 too allowing for more TNG crossover and possibly using TOS assets too - I'd love an Admiral Chekov episode on DS9 or Intelligence Chief Uhura sending the Defiant crew on a mission. Avoiding the Paramount breakup splits will help Trek a lot- perhaps spin all of Star Trek off into its own Corp inside the family of companies?

Finally, my suggestion for Voyager is a post Dominion War series exploring, reuniting, and reconnecting the UFP after the Dominion War- throw in some shady Firefly-ese characters, some PTSD, and locations from all across Trek history and I think you might have a winner. Add some existing characters to the cast too for continuity. No reason for it not to go 7 seasons as well.
The problem with TNG going 7 seasons IRL was that the first and last seasons were largely bad, but for different reasons (1st season had all the chaos behind the scenes, last season had a lot of rehashed plots). It was shocking that TNG got an Emmy nomination for best dramatic series in its last season, but that was probably because they snubbed it during its best years (3, 4, 5, and 6). That's why I'm going with 6 seasons of TNG. ITTL they're going to listen to Justman more and not flog the product into the same recycled plots week after week after week. The 6 season TNG also allows them to make a movie with better planning, plus TNG will still be on the air as a series of TV movies in addition to the feature films. Additionally, the 2nd season of TNG was better than the first but it wasn't the best of Trek either for the most part. TTL's TNG will have a much better season 1 but there will still be problems (Pulaski not being a fit with the rest of the crew, Troi's character not fully developed, no Beverly or Wesley ITTL's season 1). The stories will be better though because I'm removing a lot of the bad ones from season 1.

DS9 IRL had a very, very slow beginning which caused it to lose viewership before the Dominion War arc really got going. No way can it last 8 seasons. I like the idea of using more TNG characters in DS9 (Riker, Data) but want to keep the TOS characters separate, except for maybe one Spock appearance where he tries to convince the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion after they find out that Sisko created the fake communique. I think your suggestion for DS9 to be the "anti-Trek" like it is IRL and be in syndication while Excelsior is on network TV works ITTL.

I think the original premise for Voyager in the Delta quadrant was fine but they completely messed up the Borg in that series. They made the Borg just another enemy instead of the unbeatable force they were in TNG.

Last edited:
Ogrebear, the US could conduct a coup against the Czech communist government in this scenario. Not sure if it would be successful though. Czechoslovakia could turn into an Afghanistan-lite for the Soviets if the Czechs and Slovaks decide to resist, a part of the Czechoslovakian army defects and the US arms them. That will be Reagan's most likely move. Once again, not sure if it will be successful. Remember, the Soviets thought about moving divisions into Poland to crush Solidarity in the early 80s but chose to leave it to the Communist Polish government instead, ending the Brezhnev doctrine.

Andropov on the other hand might be a lot more successful moving South Vietnam into the Communist orbit.

Last edited:
Slight suggestion on the TNG battle line bit: to make it less-on-the nose with the Yorktown, how about we get a Defiant instead? Would make the name of the ship in DS9 have a nice connection to the past era.

Also if it isn't too out of the question, some rec room cameo suggestions:
  • George Lucas. Perhaps one day he makes a set visit (probably to help inspire him for Star Wars) as Star trek.com says he attended cons, and had a rapport with Gene. Probably as an uncredited officer/orderly at the meeting room scene, and then he gets his credit for the Special Director's Edition DVD.
  • Steven Speilberg. Jaws is pretty much under his belt, Close Encounters is on the horizon, and he can go with George. Maybe both could be the ones who bear the bad news to interrupt the meeting?
  • Arthur C. Clarke. He had good things to say about Gene, and since we have Asimov and Bradbury, why don't we get the full A-B-Cs of sci-fi?
  • Ray Harryhausen. He was also friends with Bradbury and I see no reason why he can't be invited. Plus a living legend of SFX, might be nice of him to take stock of what the TMP SFX guys have in store, and give some advice!
  • Roger Zelany. He wrote some ST stuff in the 90s, so why not start that association here?
  • Alfred Bester. He was one of the cornerstones of sci-fi in his time, and might make a good joke if Chekov could bump into him. This'll come full circle when Koenig goes to Babylon 5.
  • Leigh Brackett. Another cornerstone of her time, way before penning the initial Empire Strikes Back draft. She bumps into Lucas, they become friends, and why not have her script doctor some of Star Wars? (plus one more reason for her to sign up for Empire). Heck, might I suggest making her a captain - granted this means neither Uhura or Madge Sinclair in Voyage Home won't have that honor, but hey, better early than never!
And of course, this all could to lead to the holy grail of sci-fi: a photo of Asimov, Bester, Brackett, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein, Roddenberry, and Zelany (with Lucas, Spielberg, and Harryhausen) on the Enterprise rec room in full uniform ala the cast photo they took IRL on the Bridge set.

PS. If we do get Elvis alive, does this mean collabs with the Beatles, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash down the road?

Last edited:
Slight suggestion on the TNG battle line bit: to make it less-on-the nose with the Yorktown, how about we get a Defiant instead? Would make the name of the ship in DS9 have a nice connection to the past era.

Also if it isn't too out of the question, some rec room cameo suggestions:
  • George Lucas. Perhaps one day he makes a set visit (probably to help inspire him for Star Wars) as Star trek.com says he attended cons, and had a rapport with Gene. Probably as an uncredited officer/orderly at the meeting room scene, and then he gets his credit for the Special Director's Edition DVD.
  • Steven Speilberg. Jaws is pretty much under his belt, Close Encounters is on the horizon, and he can go with George. Maybe both could be the ones who bear the bad news to interrupt the meeting?
  • Arthur C. Clarke. He had good things to say about Gene, and since we have Asimov and Bradbury, why don't we get the full A-B-Cs of sci-fi?
  • Ray Harryhausen. He was also friends with Bradbury and I see no reason why he can't be invited. Plus a living legend of SFX, might be nice of him to take stock of what the TMP SFX guys have in store, and give some advice!
  • Roger Zelany. He wrote some ST stuff in the 90s, so why not start that association here?
  • Alfred Bester. He was one of the cornerstones of sci-fi in his time, and might make a good joke if Chekov could bump into him. This'll come full circle when Koenig goes to Babylon 5.
  • Leigh Brackett. Another cornerstone of her time, way before penning the initial Empire Strikes Back draft. She bumps into Lucas, they become friends, and why not have her script doctor some of Star Wars? (plus one more reason for her to sign up for Empire). Heck, might I suggest making her a captain - granted this means neither Uhura or Madge Sinclair in Voyage Home won't have that honor, but hey, better early than never!
And of course, this all could to lead to the holy grail of sci-fi: a photo of Asimov, Bester, Brackett, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein, Roddenberry, and Zelany (with Lucas, Spielberg, and Harryhausen) on the Enterprise rec room in full uniform ala the cast photo they took IRL on the Bridge set.

PS. If we do get Elvis alive, does this mean collabs with the Beatles, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash down the road?
All good suggestions who won't cost a lot of money either because they'd either want to be there for a small amount of money or even for free in the case of Roddenberry's pals. As for Elvis, definitely collaborations with Cash and Willie, not sure about the Beatles since they're broken up, but maybe with Paul. I'll have to write this update now, it's been waiting

Chapter 110: End of September and October 1976
First, the highlights from the three presidential debates and the vice presidential debate. The presidential debates take place on September 23, October 6, and October 22 ITTL, as they did in RL 1976. The vice-presidential debate takes place on October 15, 1976, as it does IRL.

Debate 1:

Edwin Newman (moderator): The economy is still struggling, even though money has been spent to relieve burdens on American healthcare costs and education reform has passed. What will each candidate do to revitalize the economy, with unemployment at 6.5% and inflation rising to 7%? First, President Muskie.

Muskie: I have proposed to Congress a $50 billion spending stimulus that will bring back good union jobs, reverse the trend of jobs leaving the United States for other countries, liberate us from the OPEC cartel, and add much-needed infrastructure for the future to allow the United States to remain the leader of the free world. Franklin Roosevelt spent massively to put Americans back to work in economic conditions much worse than the current state in the Great Depression, and his policies work. My plan is only a fraction of what Roosevelt did, when inflation is taken into account and should receive a better reception in Congress. I have targeted the spending towards the unemployed in all sections of American society.

Reagan: There you go again, Mr. President, thinking that spending and spending is the way out of this mess. The American people need a tax cut. They are taxed to the limit with your Medicare expansion, your schools expansion, and were seriously damaged by the OPEC oil shock in 1973. Who is going to pay for all of this? Certainly not the unemployed Americans who are the targets of this giveaway. Hard working Americans are going to foot the bill. Americans need tax relief, which will reduce inflation and put more money in that union man's pocket in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I will also remove these ridiculous environmental standards that are killing industrial and manufacturing jobs.

Debate 2:

Pauline Frederick (moderator): It seems like the world is becoming a much more dangerous place. Why are we pulling troops out of Vietnam, and what is going to be done about the rapidly spiraling situation in Czechoslovakia, where the Soviets might send troops in to crush their rebellion? Governor Reagan.

Reagan: The world is becoming a more dangerous place because President Muskie is soft on communism. He is making the insane decision to pull troops out of Vietnam at the behest of a government we cannot trust. He has only threatened a grain import ban against the Soviet Union for their potential actions in Czechoslovakia. We need to have a more muscular foreign policy. I will arm the Czechoslovakian rebels, place more troops in Vietnam regardless of what Thich Tri Quang thinks, and do everything in my power to end the Cambodian genocide. I will also ensure that Israel will never face a war again from her Arab neighbors. They have been through enough.

Muskie: I have engineered a peace deal between Israel and Egypt, and we are working on a peace deal between Israel and Jordan. The Czechoslovakian situation is a result of the communist government cracking down on its pro-democracy youth. I will do everything in my power short of risking world war to assist the Czechoslovakian pro-democracy protesters. Vietnam has become a secure country during my Presidency, and I have told the North Vietnamese government that they will pay the ultimate price for another invasion attempt.

Reagan: Why are you removing troops from Vietnam?

Muskie: I will not leave that war for another President to fight, either you, me, or someone else. The buck stops with me on Vietnam.

Vice Presidential Debate:

James Hoge (moderator): What would you do in an emergency if you had to assume the Presidency? Only thirteen years ago, we lost a President, John F. Kennedy, to an assassin's bullet. How would you operate if you had to sit in the big chair? Vice President Sanford.

Terry Sanford: I have learned that a steady hand is the most important part of leadership. President Muskie has been one of the steadiest, most intelligent Presidents in our nation's history. If disaster occurred and I had to become President, I would be measured and reasoned in all my decisions. That is why President Muskie selected me to be his running mate in 1972, and that is why I am running for reelection on the Democratic ticket. I will continue the Muskie Administration's policies, perhaps with a little less domestic spending and a tax cut for the middle class.

John Tower: Like the Democrats would ever cut taxes! They are the tax and spend party with President Muskie in charge. As for what I would do as President? I would first ensure that the Communists know the United States is not to be trifled with. The Soviets are currently going through a leadership crisis, and we should take advantage of that. I would pursue a thaw of relations whenever I can, but we are disrespected by the Reds with Muskie in charge. And I would cut taxes, much more than any of the Democrats. The American people deserve at least that.

Debate 3:

Barbara Walters (moderator): What inspired both of you men to run for President in the first place? Governor Reagan.

Reagan: I was always inspired by the common man. America was built by the common man, from its very beginnings. I came from humble beginnings in Illinois, and hoped to make it as an actor in Hollywood. Fortune shined on me, and it was the grace of God that allowed me to build my acting career. Then I realized, when I was president of the screen actors guild, that I should make a difference for the rest of America, not just the actors. So I ran for governor of California, and was honored to serve the wonderful people in California for two terms. My successful record in California speaks for itself, and I will bring the rest of the nation forward like I did California during my eight years as Governor. A vote for Ronald Reagan and John Tower is a vote for making America great again. Thank you.

Muskie: Public service was always foremost in my mind. I always believed that we had to lift up the most downtrodden Americans. I believe that the United States is only as strong as its weakest link, and if that link is strong, America will be the better for it. So I ran against the tide in Maine, which was a rock-ribbed Republican state, and served Mainers as their governor. Then, I was honored to serve Maine in the Senate. I ran for President in 1972 to continue the progress made by the great Democratic presidents that preceded me: Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy and Johnson. I am honored to add to their legacy and improve the lives of Americans. I believe the Medicare expansion we passed will become one of the most important bills in American history, and lead to universal health coverage for all Americans in the near future. I would be honored to serve four more years as your President, and make health care a reality for all. Thank you.

The final poll of the 1976 election, taken by the Gallup organization, had Ronald Reagan leading Edmund Muskie 49% to 47%, with 4% undecided.

In other news:

KEN NORTON KNOCKS OUT ALI, WHO RETIRES

September 29, 1976

Ken Norton won the world heavyweight championship with an eleventh round knockout of Muhammad Ali at a sold out Yankee Stadium last night. Norton, who believed he won the first two fights of his trilogy with Ali, but only got credit for the first fight, left no doubt this time that the legendary Ali was past his prime. He largely dominated the action, hurting Ali in the fourth round with a right hook, then knocking him down in round seven with a straight right hand. Ali was able to rise from the canvas and beat the count, but was no longer himself for the rest of the bout. He attempted to clinch the younger, more energetic Norton, and lean against the ropes to conserve energy, but the strategy that led to two victories over the retired Joe Frazier failed this time. Ali barely survived a Norton onslaught in round nine, and was put down by a hard Norton hook at the start of round eleven. Ali beat the count a second time, but almost instantaneously, Norton hit him with a wicked straight left, flooring Ali for the final time. Howard Cosell at ring side commented, "This is it for the great Ali. He should not sustain any more punishment in the ring. He has withstood enough, and should retire for his own good." Angelo Dundee, Ali's trainer, stated that "Ali will not fight again. His legacy is secure and we will ensure that his future health is preserved."

ANDROPOV: CZECHOSLOVAKIAN RESISTANCE WILL BE CRUSHED IF LOCAL ARMY CANNOT QUELL REVOLTS

October 12, 1976

Pravda, the Soviet state press arm, printed this statement from Yuri Andropov, KGB chief who is believed to be acting as general secretary of the USSR due to the health situation revolving around current Soviet premier Leonid Brezhnev:

"The situation in Czechoslovakia is nearing a breaking point. Unruly, rebellious youths who believe in the evils of capitalism have spread anti-communist propaganda across the brave Czechoslovakian nation, polluting the minds of the honorable comrades in Prague, Bratislava and elsewhere who support the goal of world socialist revolution. The Soviet Politburo has informed Gustav Husak that he is not performing his duties well enough and permitting the protests to continue. Communist rule in Prague is currently endangered. If Husak cannot perform his job, the Soviet Union and our allies in the Warsaw Pact will either do his job for him, or we will find a Communist leader in Czechoslovakia who meets our standards. We have called Edward Gierek and other Warsaw Pact leaders to Moscow to discuss the situation, and they have agreed to use their military forces in conjunction with the U.S.S.R. to quell the capitalist revolt in Prague. We demand that the protests end immediately in Prague, or the entire Communist world will take action to crush them.

SUPERMAN TO BEGIN FILMING IN DECEMBER

October 24, 1976

Alexander and Ilya Salkind called a press conference in Los Angeles yesterday to announce that their adaptation of Superman will begin filming in Los Angeles in December. "We are excited to bring Superman to the big screen, and plan a series of feature films," Alex Salkind said. "We have found a very telegenic young actor, Christopher Reeve, to play Superman, after a rigorous casting process where almost every big name in Hollywood tried out for the role." The Salkinds were also excited that the legendary Marlon Brando would appear in the film. "We never thought that an actor of Brando's stature would agree, but we were able to get him to sign on. It took a lot of money though; he's getting paid a pretty penny." Gene Hackman will play the primary villain, Lex Luthor. "Gene brings a gravitas to the screen that few in Hollywood can match," Ilya Salkind said. "He is an incredible addition to our project." The Salkinds also mentioned that "every young actress in Hollywood wanted to play Lois Lane." They eventually settled on the beautiful Margot Kidder, who appeared in The Great Waldo Pepper with Robert Redford. "Margot Kidder is the perfect actress to play Superman's love interest, Lois Lane," Alexander Salkind said. "When this movie comes out, it will be one of the biggest Hollywood blockbusters ever, we promise you that." Superman has a June 1978 projected release date.

NOTE: Ali defeated Norton in a controversial decision in their third fight on September 28, 1976 at Yankee Stadium IRL. Most observers believed that Norton won, but it had been 41 years since the heavyweight boxing championship had changed hands on a decision. In those days you had to KO the champ to be the champ. ITTL, the effects of Ali fighting that fifteenth round with Frazier in Manila are apparent and he is barely hanging on by 1976.
NOTE: Superman was supposed to be released in June 1978, but production delays caused them to push the release back to December 1978 IRL.
NOTE: The Brezhnev Doctrine dictated that Communist nations who attempted to rebel would face harsh punishment from the U.S.S.R., up to invasion. This occurred in Czechoslovakia in 1968, Afghanistan in 1979, and was retroactively applied to Hungary in 1956. The Brezhnev Doctrine was broken in 1981 when the U.S.S.R. decided to let the Poles handle the Solidarnosc movement themselves, instead of another 1968 style invasion.

Last edited:
Since Superman is releasing in the summer of '78, I assume the box office would be just a smidge higher than OTL?
The box office was high IRL (I think almost $300 million), but it'll probably do even better ITTL, perhaps as well as Star Wars. We'll be hearing a lot about truth, justice and the American way from politicians

Last edited:
The problem with TNG going 7 seasons IRL was that the first and last seasons were largely bad, but for different reasons (1st season had all the chaos behind the scenes, last season had a lot of rehashed plots). It was shocking that TNG got an Emmy nomination for best dramatic series in its last season, but that was probably because they snubbed it during its best years (3, 4, 5, and 6). That's why I'm going with 6 seasons of TNG. ITTL they're going to listen to Justman more and not flog the product into the same recycled plots week after week after week. The 6 season TNG also allows them to make a movie with better planning, plus TNG will still be on the air as a series of TV movies in addition to the feature films. Additionally, the 2nd season of TNG was better than the first but it wasn't the best of Trek either for the most part. TTL's TNG will have a much better season 1 but there will still be problems (Pulaski not being a fit with the rest of the crew, Troi's character not fully developed, no Beverly or Wesley ITTL's season 1). The stories will be better though because I'm removing a lot of the bad ones from season 1.

DS9 IRL had a very, very slow beginning which caused it to lose viewership before the Dominion War arc really got going. No way can it last 8 seasons. I like the idea of using more TNG characters in DS9 (Riker, Data) but want to keep the TOS characters separate, except for maybe one Spock appearance where he tries to convince the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion after they find out that Sisko created the fake communique. I think your suggestion for DS9 to be the "anti-Trek" like it is IRL and be in syndication while Excelsior is on network TV works ITTL.

I think the original premise for Voyager in the Delta quadrant was fine but they completely messed up the Borg in that series. They made the Borg just another enemy instead of the unbeatable force they were in TNG.

Thing with a six season TNG (1987-1992) is it will leave the DS9 carrying Trek when it was weak. TNG Season 7 was not that bad- it won an Emmy afterall so someone liked it. If Season 1 and 2 go better then the lot of the early writers are not sacred off by the Lawyer/Roddenberry which will have a knock on effect on quality for later seasons. Its even possible that later TNG has completely different creative teams than OTL and thus the stories go better.

DS9 did not have the Dominion as locked in enermies and what all that meant until season 3 at least, so there is some faff in Season 1/2. If someone like JM Straczynski is invovled from the start then perhaps a stronger narrative arc can be sold to the studio earlier so the Dominion stuff kicks in in S2 once the show is established. Perhaps the three part Jem'Hadar/Search I/II is mid-season. I would suggest a 7 Season DS9 where the climax to the Dominion War is the across the season 6/7 break leaving some time to explore the post- War Galaxy and spread the break up of the crew over some episodes as it left rushed in What You Leave Behind. Also allows seeding of some stuff for later shows.

As for Voyager, I think the concept was OK but it was crippled from being run by a burnt out team and needed a lot of new blood. Delaying it to 1999 will help since the TV world will be different by then regarding plot arcs and such. Though I still prefer the post Dominion War idea than the Delta Q.