WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 82: Moving through the first half of 1973
I'll try to get through most of 1973 today, because with the Vietnam War in an armistice, domestic matters take control, including the indictment of some Nixon officials for Watergate. Additionally, Leonard Nimoy lands two movie roles.

DEAN, EHRLICHMAN INDICTED FOR ROLES IN WATERGATE BURGLARY, PENTAGON PAPERS SCANDAL

April 17, 1973

President Nixon's former White House counsel John Dean and John Ehrlichman, former White House domestic adviser, were indicted for obstruction of justice and conspiracy in attempting to cover up the previous administration's role in the Watergate burglary and Ehrlichman's role in attempting a cover-up of the Pentagon Papers. Dean and Ehrlichman were arraigned in District of Columbia Superior Court yesterday. Both men did not resist arrest and turned themselves into authorities peacefully. Prosecutors claim that Dean was instructed by President Nixon to keep a running record of all events that occurred during the Watergate burglary, and intended to shield the Nixon administration, including the President himself, from any liability. The District Attorney of the District of Columbia also claims that in the indictment, Ehrlichman orchestrated a burglary of the psychiatrist who was treating Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg. Dean and Ehrlichman have both requested immunity and a potential deal for their congressional testimony to avoid lengthy terms in prison. Speaker of the House Morris Udall welcomed the news, telling the Post that "we would love to hear the testimony of Mr. Dean and Mr. Ehrlichmann in front of the House Watergate Special Committee, and determine if they can form other links that connect more directly to President Nixon's involvement in the scandal."

DEMOCRATS PASS MEDICAID EXPANSION, ENVIRONMENTAL ACTS INTO LAW

May 11, 1973

The Democrats in Congress have accomplished two of their primary policy objectives as outlined by President Edmund Muskie in his inaugural address. They have passed a major expansion to the Medicaid program, shepherded through the House of Representatives by Mr. Morris Udall and other members of the House liberal wing, and through the Senate by majority leader Mr. Mike Mansfield and Mr. Edward Kennedy. The Medicaid expansion, which includes under its purview all families with at least one child and all Americans currently under the federal poverty line, passed the House 221-214 and the Senate 52-48, after being filibustered for two weeks by a combination of conservative Republicans and southern Democrats, who derided the proposal as "Muskiecare". Eventually, the Senate filibuster broke, and the bill became law. "We have given access to Medicaid for most Americans, which will eventually lead to a national healthcare system that covers all Americans," President Muskie said. "It is one of the crowning achievements of any administration, and a major mission accomplished by the Congress. I applaud Speaker Udall and Majority Leader Mansfield for their ability to negotiate for the bill and win the votes required for passage. We have fulfilled a goal of the Great Society led by President Johnson when I was in the Senate."

Democrats also passed the Clean Industries Act, championed by President Muskie himself, after he witnessed the oil slick and chemical fire that destroyed the ecology of Lake Erie near Cleveland, Ohio. The law tasks industries to move to cleaner technologies over the next decade and provides federal subsidies to businesses who present plans to reduce pollution and their dependency on fossil fuels to the federal government. President Muskie said of this law, "Although oil is a critical component of the American economy, we risk future damage to our economic position if we allow oil producing governments not allied to the United States to control oil prices. We need to remove the leverage OPEC holds if they decide to raise prices and attempt to shock our economy." President Muskie also mentioned studies indicating that the burning of fossil fuels could affect the climate of future generations. "I saw scientific journals which indicated that if we continue burning fossil fuels at this rate, the planet will warm in an irreversible fashion in 50 years. I would like my grandchildren and great-grandchildren to live in a cleaner, more pristine world, and I hope Americans view that hope in the same way."

NIMOY LANDS ROLES IN GATSBY, GODFATHER SEQUEL; QUIPS ABOUT KIDS

June 4, 1973

Leonard Nimoy has signed on to two more Paramount productions, both scheduled to hit theaters in 1974. He will play Thomas Buchanan in a remake of The Great Gatsby, scheduled for filming next month, and has a planned role in the Godfather sequel, where he will play a corrupt United States Senator from Nevada who reportedly interacts with Michael Corleone. "I am excited to be branching out into major films and am honored to be considered for these productions," Nimoy said. "It represents a significant expansion of my career after the conclusion of Mission: Impossible." Nimoy rocketed to stardom playing the Vulcan Spock in Star Trek, and aside from some difficulties with stress and health in early 1970, it has been an upward trajectory for his career since. He occasionally attends Star Trek conventions, a cult phenomenon, and receives standing ovations every time he speaks in front of adoring Trek fans. However, he is focusing on teaching his children how to drive. "I can finally trust my daughter Julie behind the wheel, and I know that she won't get me killed if she wants to drive me somewhere," Nimoy said. "Now I'm worried about Adam, my son, driving recklessly because he's now at that age where he's got to get behind the wheel."

TIMES BOOK REVIEW: KOENIG ON RUSSIAN INVENTIONS

June 24, 1973

Walter Koenig, famous for playing the young, headstrong Russian Pavel Chekov on Star Trek, has written a book, possibly poking fun at himself, about Russian inventions. Entitled 10 Russian Inventions--And 5 non-Russian Inventions, Koenig takes a surprisingly accurate historical look at the contributions of Russia in world society, and definitively states that scotch, triticale (a form of wheat), baseball, the Garden of Eden, the English astronomer John Burke, and the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland were not Russian inventions. However, he does accurately describe Russian advances such as vodka, powdered milk, which was invented by Osip Krichevsky, decimalization, first invented by Peter the Great to delineate between rubles and kopeks, and the first space flight, Sputnik, developed by the Russians in 1957. Koenig also delves into the development of the periodic table, pioneered by Dmitri Mendeleev, electrotyping, invented by Moritz von Jacobi in 1838, the kettlebell, a piece of exercise equipment, cracking of hydrocarbons, invented by Vladimir Shukhov in 1891, the heavy bomber, invented by Igor Sikorsky, and the idea of classical conditioning, largely developed by Ivan Pavlov. Koenig's work is a surprisingly strong addition for historians, despite it being written by a non-historian, and television actor, and we recommend it for further reading and perusal.

Last edited:
Leonard Nimoy could also take the advice of Paul Newman on marriages--Newman was married to Joanne Woodward from 1958 to 2008, and famously said about it "Why would I go out for burgers when I've got steak at home?"

Chapter 83: Third Quarter of 1973
I think I can get a good part of 1973 in today. July and September 1973 will be discussed.

JOHN DEAN PROVIDES EVIDENCE FOR WATERGATE COMMITTEE; BUTTERFIELD TESTIFIES OF WHITE HOUSE TAPING SYSTEM (Note: this actually happened in real life, but Nixon of course was President).

July 14, 1973

A Watergate roundup: John Dean testified before the Watergate Special Committee two weeks ago and was allowed immunity from prosecution in exchange for his testimony. He testified before Congress that a direct link existed between President Nixon and the events of the Watergate burglary, and that the former President ordered a cover-up of the administration's involvement. President Nixon denies that he was directly involved with any involvement in the scandal, with his office calling Dean's testimony "perjury" and that Dean should be imprisoned for fabricating evidence to Congress. Additionally, Alexander Butterfield testified before Congress and revealed the existence of a taping system within the Nixon White House. Senators on the committee wanted to know whether tapes of President Nixon ordering a cover-up existed, after the congressional testimony of former Nixon White House Chief of Staff H.R. Haldeman. The FBI, led by director Mark Felt, may ask for a subpoena of the tapes President Nixon recorded in the White House, but no such subpoena has been issued yet.

AGNEW SUBPOENAED IN KICKBACKS CASE

August 14, 1973

Former Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, also the former governor of Maryland and Baltimore County executive in the 1960s, has been subpoenaed over his possible role in a kickbacks and bribery case. United States District Attorney for Maryland, George Beall, has determined that he has enough evidence from an engineering and contracting firm headed by Lester Matz. The subpoena forces testimony from Agnew which will either corroborate the evidence Beall has collected or refute the paperwork collected by the District Attorney's office. Agnew's lawyer, George White, told the Sun that "Vice President Agnew had no connection to any bribery scheme, and we will prove that he is completely innocent with his testimony." Matz claimed that Agnew took tens of thousands of dollars in money from his company for political support dating back to Agnew's local politics days.

TAKEI WINS SPECIAL ELECTION TO LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL IN SURPRISE

September 19, 1973

Although Tom Bradley has been elected the first African-American mayor of Los Angeles, his chosen successor to his city council seat, David Cunningham, was ousted in a close election by George Takei, the former Mr. Sulu on Star Trek. Takei won 7,962 votes to Cunningham's 7,878, with the rest of the candidates far behind. Takei credited his win to his stances and his willingness to campaign throughout the district. "I ran a very spirited campaign, and I will represent the citizens of Los Angeles with my best foot forward," Takei said. "The city could use a lot of improvements, and I will join with many of my new colleagues on the Council to improve life for everyday Angelenos. I will be a working man's representative on the city council." Cunningham, shocked that he was defeated, is asking for a recount. However, in such an election with so few votes, it is unlikely that Cunningham will find enough ballots to overtake Takei's lead. Takei will finish Mayor Bradley's term on the council, where he will stand for election again in April 1975.

Today's update was kind of short. They could be less frequent over the next couple of months as I will be busier than normal.

Last edited:
Chapter 84: End of 1973
Three articles for today. The Yom Kippur War occurs in October 1973 and occurs largely the same way as OTL. Israel takes losses at the beginning in the Golan and Sinai but recovers to drive into Syria and Egypt before the ceasefire at the end of October. The OPEC oil embargo also occurs due to US support of Israel in the Yom Kippur War. The embargo hits the US badly because President Muskie ITTL is focusing on cleaning up American industry, and the US is obviously dependent on foreign oil in 1973, just like IRL. Muskie still wants to clean up US industry even though gas prices are rising sharply during his term, so he doesn't respond that well to the oil shock ITTL and the US is hit with a recession at the end of 1973 and start of 1974, right after the US recovered from an economic shock in 1971 IRL and 1972 ITTL.

ITTL, the New York Mets repeat their heroics in 1969 by winning the 1973 World Series, the Nixon Watergate tapes are leaked to the Washington Post, causing a backlash, and Lou Scheimer is able to convince the stars of Star Trek to reunite for a cartoon series in 1974 (one year after OTL).

download.jpg

MIRACLE METS PART II: METS WIN 1973 WORLD SERIES OVER ATHLETICS

October 22, 1973

Mets manager Yogi Berra's decision to hold the great Tom Seaver back for a decisive seventh game paid off, as the New York Mets defeated the Oakland Athletics, 2-1, in a dramatic World Series finale, and performed another baseball miracle only four years after the original Miracle Mets won in 1969. Berra chose not to have Seaver face off against Oakland ace Catfish Hunter, instead going with fourth starter George Stone, who was beaten 8-2 by the A's in game 6. Berra chose to skip over third starter Jon Matlack entirely in Oakland, believing he had a better chance with Stone and Seaver to get him the final win out west. By manipulating the matchups in this fashion, Berra allowed Seaver the opportunity to face Ken Holtzman instead of Hunter.

Seaver threw a complete game three-hitter, only allowing a home run to Reggie Jackson in the bottom half of the ninth inning. The Mets ace was dominant, striking out twelve Athletics and walking none, as he completely stifled the powerful Oakland offense. The game was scoreless until the top of the sixth inning, as Seaver and Holtzman were matching zeroes. In the top of the sixth, Felix Millan doubled, and Rusty Staub drove him in with another double to break the deadlock, giving the Mets a 1-0 lead. "With Holtzman pitching the way he was, I figured that I had to keep the A's off the board entirely," Seaver said, with champagne being poured over his face by a retiring Willie Mays. "As it turned out, that second run we scored in the ninth won the series, and we needed it." In the top of the ninth inning, John Milner walked to lead off against A's relief ace Rollie Fingers. Jerry Grote was retired on a fly ball to left. Don Hahn singled to right, advancing Milner to second. Fingers got the second out, forcing Bud Harrelson to ground out to the mound, advancing both runners. With Milner on third and Hahn on second, Ed Kranepool hit a hard ground ball to first, which was deflected by A's first baseman Gene Tenace towards second base. The infield hit scored Milner and the Mets had a 2-0 lead.

In the bottom of the ninth, Seaver struck out Sal Bando to lead off the inning. Jackson then homered to deep right, cutting the Mets lead to 2-1. Seaver then allowed a single to Tenace, who was advanced to second by Jesus Alou's slow ground ball fielded by Harrelson at shortstop. Seaver then faced A's first baseman Deron Johnson with two outs and Tenace in scoring position. With the count at two balls and two strikes, Seaver struck Johnson out with a fastball, and the celebrations ensued both on the streets of New York and on the field in Oakland.

Nixon_Contemporary_August-2019-1.jpg

NIXON TAPES REVEALED: NIXON CLAIMS HE "IS NOT A CROOK"

November 12, 1973

Tapes from President Nixon's White House were leaked to the Washington Post in the last week. The tapes appear to show that President Nixon, along with his former chief of staff H.R. Haldeman, actively leading a cover-up of the White House's involvement in the Watergate burglary in June 1972. President Nixon was instructing Haldeman to tell the FBI, at the time led by Louis Patrick Gray, to slow-walk or stop the investigation into the break-in at Democratic headquarters. On the tape, Nixon said the following regarding a potential FBI investigation: "Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you will-that will uncover a lot of things. You open that scab there’s a hell of a lot of things and that we just feel that it would be very detrimental to have this thing go any further. This involves these Cubans, Hunt, and a lot of hanky-panky that we have nothing to do with ourselves. Well what the hell, did Mitchell know about this thing to any much of a degree."

Reaction from Democratic Speaker of the House Morris Udall was swift. "President Nixon should testify in front of Congress, honestly with all due speed, in order to set the record straight," Udall said. "If he committed obstruction of justice, as is evidenced in the tapes, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, along with Haldeman, who he ordered to engage in the cover up." President Nixon, when reached for comment, claimed that he ordered no coverup. "The White House was not involved in the Watergate incident. Let the record show that I am not a crook," Nixon said. "I will clear my name and the Democrats will pay for their overreach and their vendetta to pin Nixon to the wall as a trophy."

SCHEIMER CLAIMS HE HAS COMMITMENT FROM TREK STARS FOR CARTOON

December 4, 1973

Filmation founder Lou Scheimer believes he has commitments from William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley for voice over work for a Star Trek cartoon series. Scheimer has also contacted Star Trek writer D.C. Fontana, who he wants as show runner for the hypothetical cartoon. Plans are in the works for a cartoon series, with sixteen episodes per season, to begin in September 1974, to be aired on Saturday mornings on NBC television. Scheimer said, "We are thrilled to arrange agreements with Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley to use their voices to play Kirk, Spock and McCoy again. They are happy to reprise their roles without performing the same type of duties that a live television series would demand for them. In this type of work, we only need them to voice their lines for a day or two, and their work will be done." When the status of the other actors on Star Trek was broached, Scheimer was noncommittal on George Takei, now a local officeholder in Los Angeles, and Nichelle Nichols, now on Broadway working on Grease. However, James Doohan and Walter Koenig are definitely returning to reprise their roles as Scott and Chekov, respectively. "I don't think I can get George back because he's on the LA City Council and he might not be allowed to act in the meantime," Scheimer said. "Jimmy Doohan will obviously be back, and perform voices other than Scott if necessary. We also got Walter back. As for Nichelle, it will depend on her schedule in New York. She might appear in some episodes, she might not, due to her very busy Broadway schedule."

The end of the 1973 World Series:

Mets radio announcer Bob Murphy: Tenace leading off second. A single for the A's could tie it. The 2-2 pitch from Seaver to Deron Johnson. He struck him out! He struck him out! Tom Seaver struck him out and the Mets are the world champions! They are mobbing Tom Seaver on the mound! The Mets have won game 7 by a score of 2-1, and they have shocked the world just like they did in 1969! What a party on the mound in Oakland!

Ralph Kiner: We're going to have a special Kiner's Korner after this. The Mets have beaten all the odds again and Tom Seaver, once again, was the reason why. There is no better pitcher in baseball than Seaver, and the Mets are so fortunate to have him. He has now led the Mets to two unlikely World Series wins, first over a Baltimore Orioles team that won 109 games, and now over this powerful Athletics team.

Last edited:
Congratz to Mr Takei - I hope it is a long a glorious political career!

The 1974 Cartoon should be fun when we get there. Hopefully it does not have the colour problems of OTL, and things like the Bonaventure looking like a Connie when it is the 'first warp ship' are avoided.

Nixon, esp out of the White House is going to get torn apart by Watergate- he cannot hide behind the respect of the office when he is not in it.

Congratz to Mr Takei - I hope it is a long a glorious political career!

The 1974 Cartoon should be fun when we get there. Hopefully it does not have the colour problems of OTL, and things like the Bonaventure looking like a Connie when it is the 'first warp ship' are avoided.

Nixon, esp out of the White House is going to get torn apart by Watergate- he cannot hide behind the respect of the office when he is not in it.
Takei will have to leave office to take part in the movies though, so he can't be in elected office for that long, with the first movie coming up in 1978 ITTL.

I have to come up with some source material for the cartoon since I used some of the episodes from the cartoon for live action. Maybe James Blish's Spock Must Die or the Bantam Books novels are written a few years earlier than OTL and we can get more fan contributions to the cartoon, because fans wrote a lot of the Bantam Books before Star Trek moved to Pocket Books in the early 1980s. There were 12 Bantam Books Star Trek novels that were new, unique stories, between 1976 and 1981 before the Pocket Books association (the novelization of TMP IOTL, then the Entropy Effect, which is a live action episode ITTL, and others).

As for the cartoon quality, that will be up to Filmation to resolve...

Nixon is going to get into deep trouble for Watergate but so will the Democrats, because there is a recession and the Muskie administration + Congress is going to be seen chasing after Nixon instead of dealing with the recession. Watergate could backlash on the Democrats because the public ITTL believes Nixon was already punished for his actions by losing the election...

Last edited:
Takei will have to leave office to take part in the movies though, so he can't be in elected office for that long, with the first movie coming up in 1978 ITTL.

I wish there were more real world impacts, that you're cutting his political career short so he can do the movies is, frustrating a little, when the more interesting route surely would be for the political career to take off and Takei have to miss out on them, before making a return in TUC, as an example.

Is there an actual rule saying Takei cannot do the movies while in office?

Nixon got caught law breaking and conspiracy, just losing an election is not really punishment enough. The Democrats can spin the recession as a result of the previous Administration. They do need to respond quickly though.

Perhaps nick the plots from the novels? Lots of good stuff to choose from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels

The cartoon could be used to return to/follow up on plots and planets from the TV show- show what happened to the Nazi world, or Miri? Also be a good way of exploring the societies of some of the non-Humans that the TV show could no afford like the Caitlins, Andorians, Tellerites, etc.

He didn't stop his work on the Southern California Rapid Transit District board for the films - he served for 11 years and had to break away from TMP filming for a crucial vote. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Takei

Eastwood was Mayor of Carmel for 2 years during which time he produced, directed and starred in Pale Rider and Heartbreak Ridge

He didn't stop his work on the Southern California Rapid Transit District board for the films - he served for 11 years and had to break away from TMP filming for a crucial vote. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Takei

Eastwood was Mayor of Carmel for 2 years during which time he produced, directed and starred in Pale Rider and Heartbreak Ridge
Then I can make Takei available for small roles like the cartoon. What it will mean is Star Trek can’t run in syndication in LA during campaign season for Takei

As for making Takei’s political career a long one, say he goes to Congress, then he obviously can’t participate in any movies while he’s away in Congress most of the time so a successor would have to be found. Maybe I don’t kill off Ilia or I start out with Saavik from the get go w/o Takei there?

What it will mean is Star Trek can’t run in syndication in LA during campaign season for Takei
Just do what the manager of one of the LA tv stations that was showing Star Trek did , when Takei opponent demanded equal time on tv for Takei appearances on Star Trek.
"Cone on down to the studio and we put you in the costume and you can do the dialog and we will edit you in to the show."
Takei opponent never show up to star in Star Trek.

Last edited:
Then I can make Takei available for small roles like the cartoon. What it will mean is Star Trek can’t run in syndication in LA during campaign season for Takei

As for making Takei’s political career a long one, say he goes to Congress, then he obviously can’t participate in any movies while he’s away in Congress most of the time so a successor would have to be found. Maybe I don’t kill off Ilia or I start out with Saavik from the get go w/o Takei there?

Just have Sulu promoted and given his own ship? Then he can show up for cameos in the films when he rendezvous with the Enterprise for X reason- or saves their butts like in OTL Star Trek VI.

Keeping Ilia around does give you a character the audience is familiar with, plus another woman, and another non-Human on the Bridge which is all positive. Maybe bring in Saavik as a background character in STI/II who gets a bigger 'mission specialist' as a scientist/terraformer in STIII - provided the plots are largely the same. Perhaps drop her for IV due to being pregnant with Spock's child so stays on Vulcan? Some light-hearted ribbing about Spock's 'shotgun' marriage to her might fit IV's light hearted tone?

Maybe Takei gets a ride on the shuttle and is nominated to the NASA Advisory Council like ex-Senator Bill Nelson instead of going to Congress

I like this idea very much.
Takei and Nichols perhaps, because Nichelle did the work with NASA IRL in regards to diversifying the space shuttle program in the late 70s (which is still what I intend her to do, maybe with Takei or Doohan helping her out).

This political career with Takei could be a very interesting plot point. It seems like I've got a lot of opinions regarding how it should go. If Takei has a long political career (aka he's in Congress, mayor of LA, or even governor of California somehow) it changes the movies quite a bit because he won't have time to be a part of any movies aside from a cameo perhaps. My initial inclination was not to give Takei a political career beyond the local level so he can do the movies and eventually get his spinoff series on the Excelsior, but I see my readers have other ideas. I will try to accommodate as best I can.

Takei and Nichols perhaps, because Nichelle did the work with NASA IRL in regards to diversifying the space shuttle program in the late 70s (which is still what I intend her to do, maybe with Takei or Doohan helping her out).

This political career with Takei could be a very interesting plot point. It seems like I've got a lot of opinions regarding how it should go. If Takei has a long political career (aka he's in Congress, mayor of LA, or even governor of California somehow) it changes the movies quite a bit because he won't have time to be a part of any movies aside from a cameo perhaps. My initial inclination was not to give Takei a political career beyond the local level so he can do the movies and eventually get his spinoff series on the Excelsior, but I see my readers have other ideas. I will try to accommodate as best I can.
Given his profile (if you're old enough you'll remember the hoohah when the Enterprise shuttle was launched) and the fact that he was already in public service for the LA rapid transport authority then it wouldn't need much more success as a politician to get a shuttle ride I'd suggest. Maybe a Californian State Legislature representative.

Just hope it's not Columbia

Given his profile (if you're old enough you'll remember the hoohah when the Enterprise shuttle was launched) and the fact that he was already in public service for the LA rapid transport authority then it wouldn't need much more success as a politician to get a shuttle ride I'd suggest. Maybe a Californian State Legislature representative.

Just hope it's not Columbia
You mean Challenger, that’s the shuttle that exploded