WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see. On a side note, I seem to have mixed up Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Silly me.
With Ali and Frazier out of the picture, George Foreman recommits himself to dominating the heavyweight division and has a nice long reign as world champion ITTL instead of losing to Jimmy Young in 1977 and retiring. We get a couple of Foreman-Holmes fights, we see Foreman vs. Norton II, Foreman vs. Shavers, etc. Foreman-Frazier II never happens, because Eddie Futch tells Frazier to retire after the Thrilla in Manila...

Last edited:
Chapter 54: Vietnam, Laos, and More Episode Updates
Beatles_August_1969.jpg

Articles for today:

US, SOUTH VIETNAM TROOPS INVADE LAOS, CAPTURE TCHEPONE

October 14, 1970

The United States Army and South Vietnamese ARVN, with a combined 75,000 troops, have captured Tchepone, a key town along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Fierce fighting began in late September and lasted at least two weeks, before the North Vietnamese and Pathet Lao forces retreated northward. American bombing runs helped clear the way for the joint US Army-ARVN force to successfully complete the operation. "This is a critical victory in the war," said US General Creighton Abrams, leading American forces in Southeast Asia. "From our base in Khe Sanh, we have almost interdicted the Ho Chi Minh trail near the South Vietnamese border, and are beginning to cut off the Viet Cong supply routes, leaving them marooned in the South and vulnerable. We have stopped the flow of North Vietnamese supplies in Cambodia with our operations there and will proceed to accomplish the same in Laos." Abrams would not elaborate further on American war plans in Laos, calling them classified, but it is believed that the American and South Vietnamese forces will attempt similar movements south of Tchepone to isolate North Vietnamese forces transporting supplies in Laos. President Nixon, upon hearing of Tchepone's capture, said in a primetime Oval Office address that "we are achieving that peace with honor by stopping supplies from reaching the Viet Cong in the South. I have instructed my national security advisor, Henry Kissinger, to open further negotiations with the North Vietnamese and force a settlement, so no more American men are killed in combat in Southeast Asia." International condemnation was swift, with Soviet Union premier Leonid Brezhnev calling President Nixon a "fascist, imperialist warmonger who seeks to disrupt and destroy the fragile world order." It has been rumored that the CIA was also involved in the Laotian operation, but Richard Helms, the CIA director, said, "We can neither confirm nor deny that the CIA has conducted operations in Laos."

BEATLES MEET AGAIN IN LONDON, PLANNING REUNION, WORLD TOUR

October 15, 1970

The Beatles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, were seen together at Abbey Road Studios in London. McCartney, who previously broke up the band over legal issues, has somehow brought the Fab Four back together. "We are planning one last world tour in 1971," McCartney said. "John has agreed to bring Yoko Ono with us, and she might sing on the tour with John in sets before we take the stage again." Starr said, "I'm not Paul's biggest fan anymore, but with one last world tour, we can recapture that magic and I can embark on my singles career, which I believe will be fruitful." George Harrison, the famous guitarist, could not be reached for comment. John Lennon has an interesting story regarding the reunion: "It happened over a Star Trek episode," Lennon said. "Paul took a guest role on Star Trek and asked me if I wanted to join him. I knew my wife Yoko would love seeing me on Star Trek, because she's a huge fan, so I worked on the appearance for free. Paul said over coffee in Los Angeles, 'Let's do this one last tour. We can go back to Shea Stadium and hold another concert there, like we did in 65.'" So it appears the Beatles are back together. We wonder what wonderful new music they have in store for us.

EPISODE UPDATES:

EPISODE 6: AND THE CHILDREN SHALL LEAD: Written by Edward Lakso, directed by Marvin Chomsky. Air date: October 16, 1970. This is the same awful 3rd season episode we saw IRL, and it is similarly awful ITTL. Demonic children kill their parents and take over the Enterprise bridge. Joan Crosby in her column said, "There is absolutely no way Captain Kirk would let children on his bridge." Nielsen rating: 2nd to the CBS Friday Night Movie.

EPISODE 7: ONE OF OUR PLANETS IS MISSING: Written and directed by Marc Daniels. Air date: October 23, 1970. This is a TAS episode IRL, but is adapted for live action. The Enterprise encounters a giant planet-eating cloud, and discovers that the cloud is actually a gigantic organism. The episode has similarities to THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE and THE IMMUNITY SYNDROME, both 2nd season episodes. Spock mind-melds with the cloud, and communicates that the cloud is murdering living, sentient beings by eating planets that have life on them. Public reaction to this episode was mixed ITTL, because it repeated plot elements from other episodes earlier in the series. Nielsen rating: 1st in timeslot.

EPISODE 8: THE INFINITE VULCAN: Written by Walter Koenig, directed by John Meredyth Lucas. Air date: October 30, 1970. This is also a TAS episode IRL, but Walter Koenig is able to submit a script he has been working on during the offseason between seasons four and five, and gets it produced because Gene Roddenberry does him a favor. The story is actually quite good IRL. The Enterprise encounters a Eugenics War scientist who also survived on the Botany Bay, Stavos Kenicilus, who wants to clone Spock and improve upon human genetics. Spock is successfully cloned, but the difference ITTL is that Spock-2 is violent, not trained in the ways of logic like his real counterpart. Instead of saving Spock's life with a mind meld, Spock-2 tries to kill the original Spock, and the Enterprise crew has to engage in a fight to kill the Spock clone, who threatens the ship. Public reaction to this episode was generally positive, but the idea of two Spocks was copied from THE ENEMY WITHIN (two Kirks) and MIRROR, MIRROR. Nielsen rating: 1st in timeslot.

Last edited:

hammo1j

Donor
Dear Mr Roddenberry

You requested that fans of Star Trek submit their own scripts for Season 5. So here is my take on your wonderful idea.

I have followed your recommendations where possible in that this is an episode set entirely on the Enterprise, not requiring further special effects. The actors can all be unknowns as they are characters all new to the canon.

I hope you like this and will be grateful for any feedback. I have written the dialog too, but only provide you with a summary of the story as I know you are a busy man. Also Mr Spock does not appear as requested due to filming commitments on another series, even though he is my favorite character (sorry Jim).

Internal Affairs

The episode begins with Kirk announcing over the tannoy that the Federation department of Justice will be running a routine investigation into the conduct of the Enterprise. Crew members are to give the fullest cooperation as Tariq Malik the investigation leader will outrank him to ensure there is no stone unturned.

Bones immediately shows his loyalty by wondering how these pen pushers can doubt Kirk, who responds that he does not like this at all, but regulations must be obeyed. The welcome the disposition of twelve in the transporter room. They are dressed in dark blue uniforms with brass buttons reminiscent of the old 20th century Police Forces. Chief Inquisitor Malik explains that the ship is under his temporary command until they can give the all clear. A member of his team is assigned to each superior officer. Kirk is assigned an attractive Asian female: Officer Wong.

Wong follows Kirk around for the day. She indicates that she is most impressed by a man in whom 430 lives aboard the Enterprise depend. Kirk enjoys the praise and accepts the invitation for drinks in her cabin. She appears in kimono, a relaxation of her uniform. "Do you not find me attractive, Captain, you have ignored me all day". They kiss, then Malik bursts in with two of his goons and orders the arrest of Kirk.

Bones gets wind and with Sulu they burst in with redshirts and phasers drawn. Kirk states that Wong led him on and this is entrapment. Wong points out that the commander of a ship as powerful as the Enterprise should never give in to temptation no matter the cost as his judgement would be compromised. Malik asks Bones if this is his normal behaviour and Bones is suddenly aware that Kirk's predilection to seduce any attractive woman is actually a risk to the ship.

Kirk ends up in the brig and is surprised to find Scotty there. The whippersnapper assigned to view his activities has had him up for wiring up the DiLithium Crystals in a non standard way, increasing the power by a factor of ten, but with minimal risk to the Enterprise.

Meanwhile Malik reveals that they must observe the Enterprise under combat conditions and orders the ship to the neutral zone. No one of the crew want to risk their careers but Uhura smells a rat. She begins to look into the provenance of the original order to allow the inspectors to come on board. She asks Checkov and Sulu to come below decks to check out a possible malfunction of the sub light transmitter. Malik sends Wong and two big goons to ensure no foulplay.

Uhura turns on Wong and Checkov and Sulu hesitate before turning on the goons and disabling them. Uhura points out the message is a spoof from an untrusted certificate authority and Malik and associates are likely criminals. They have to free the Captain.

Kirk and Scotty have not been idle. Scotty complains of stomach cramps and Bones is called. The redshirts open the door and Kirk drops on them from the roof. Bones doubts the sanity of the pair, but when Scotty asks him about the companion assigned to him, he realises every diagnosis he makes has been overturned as if to wreck his confidence.

In the neutral zone the Klingon decloaks and Malik opens the hailing frequency. He has delivered his part of the bargain, an Enterprise class starship for the Klingons to dissect and now he demands his side of the bargain. After asking if there will be no resistance from the Enterprise he is told to beam aboard though he must disable the weapons systems first.

Scotty bursts into the Engine room. The phasers blast and the depressurization pulls the assailant out of the hull. Scotty manages to hold on and push the button to seal the Enterprise.

Malik beams onto the Klingon vessel and goes to embrace the captain. Immediately two of his associates are eliminated. The Klingon captain reveals there never was a bargain.

Kirk reveals that the bridge is locked down. The only hope is that the photon torpedoes can be operated from the engine room. Is Scotty able to bypass the controls from the helm. As usual he expresses his doubts but he will do his best. In the meantime Kirk and the rest climb up from engineering through a back door that Uhuru has programmed.

The Klingon realises there is problems and fires on the Enterprise. Wong is shocked as the bridge is rocked and they are rocked across the floor. Sparks appear from the consoles as the Enterprise takes hit after hit. The Klingon commander shows the stricken Enterprise to Malik as a token of Klingon Superiority.

Kirk yells through the door to the bridge that the enterprise is doomed unless he take the bridge again. Wong pushes the button to release the door just as that area of the console blows up and she is clearly dead.

He takes control of the bridge. Sulu races to the weapons console. "Scottie are the photon torpedoes ready." Scotty replies thee is a 50:50 chance they will work or blow up the Enterprise.

Kirk as always takes the chance. 4 pulses of energy cascade into the Klingon, destroying it completely.

Sulu comments the Klingon commander was so sure there would be no response he put all his energy into attack leaving none for his shields.

Kirk has the last word. "Well I think we passed the Inspection with flying colours. Ahead Warp Factor 2"

Your biggest fan

Avery Bullock

Dear Mr Roddenberry

You requested that fans of Star Trek submit their own scripts for Season 5. So here is my take on your wonderful idea.

I have followed your recommendations where possible in that this is an episode set entirely on the Enterprise, not requiring further special effects. The actors can all be unknowns as they are characters all new to the canon.

I hope you like this and will be grateful for any feedback. I have written the dialog too, but only provide you with a summary of the story as I know you are a busy man. Also Mr Spock does not appear as requested due to filming commitments on another series, even though he is my favorite character (sorry Jim).

Internal Affairs

The episode begins with Kirk announcing over the tannoy that the Federation department of Justice will be running a routine investigation into the conduct of the Enterprise. Crew members are to give the fullest cooperation as Tariq Malik the investigation leader will outrank him to ensure there is no stone unturned.

Bones immediately shows his loyalty by wondering how these pen pushers can doubt Kirk, who responds that he does not like this at all, but regulations must be obeyed. The welcome the disposition of twelve in the transporter room. They are dressed in dark blue uniforms with brass buttons reminiscent of the old 20th century Police Forces. Chief Inquisitor Malik explains that the ship is under his temporary command until they can give the all clear. A member of his team is assigned to each superior officer. Kirk is assigned an attractive Asian female: Officer Wong.

Wong follows Kirk around for the day. She indicates that she is most impressed by a man in whom 430 lives aboard the Enterprise depend. Kirk enjoys the praise and accepts the invitation for drinks in her cabin. She appears in kimono, a relaxation of her uniform. "Do you not find me attractive, Captain, you have ignored me all day". They kiss, then Malik bursts in with two of his goons and orders the arrest of Kirk.

Bones gets wind and with Sulu they burst in with redshirts and phasers drawn. Kirk states that Wong led him on and this is entrapment. Wong points out that the commander of a ship as powerful as the Enterprise should never give in to temptation no matter the cost as his judgement would be compromised. Malik asks Bones if this is his normal behaviour and Bones is suddenly aware that Kirk's predilection to seduce any attractive woman is actually a risk to the ship.

Kirk ends up in the brig and is surprised to find Scotty there. The whippersnapper assigned to view his activities has had him up for wiring up the DiLithium Crystals in a non standard way, increasing the power by a factor of ten, but with minimal risk to the Enterprise.

Meanwhile Malik reveals that they must observe the Enterprise under combat conditions and orders the ship to the neutral zone. No one of the crew want to risk their careers but Uhura smells a rat. She begins to look into the provenance of the original order to allow the inspectors to come on board. She asks Checkov and Sulu to come below decks to check out a possible malfunction of the sub light transmitter. Malik sends Wong and two big goons to ensure no foulplay.

Uhura turns on Wong and Checkov and Sulu hesitate before turning on the goons and disabling them. Uhura points out the message is a spoof from an untrusted certificate authority and Malik and associates are likely criminals. They have to free the Captain.

Kirk and Scotty have not been idle. Scotty complains of stomach cramps and Bones is called. The redshirts open the door and Kirk drops on them from the roof. Bones doubts the sanity of the pair, but when Scotty asks him about the companion assigned to him, he realises every diagnosis he makes has been overturned as if to wreck his confidence.

In the neutral zone the Klingon decloaks and Malik opens the hailing frequency. He has delivered his part of the bargain, an Enterprise class starship for the Klingons to dissect and now he demands his side of the bargain. After asking if there will be no resistance from the Enterprise he is told to beam aboard though he must disable the weapons systems first.

Scotty bursts into the Engine room. The phasers blast and the depressurization pulls the assailant out of the hull. Scotty manages to hold on and push the button to seal the Enterprise.

Malik beams onto the Klingon vessel and goes to embrace the captain. Immediately two of his associates are eliminated. The Klingon captain reveals there never was a bargain.

Kirk reveals that the bridge is locked down. The only hope is that the photon torpedoes can be operated from the engine room. Is Scotty able to bypass the controls from the helm. As usual he expresses his doubts but he will do his best. In the meantime Kirk and the rest climb up from engineering through a back door that Uhuru has programmed.

The Klingon realises there is problems and fires on the Enterprise. Wong is shocked as the bridge is rocked and they are rocked across the floor. Sparks appear from the consoles as the Enterprise takes hit after hit. The Klingon commander shows the stricken Enterprise to Malik as a token of Klingon Superiority.

Kirk yells through the door to the bridge that the enterprise is doomed unless he take the bridge again. Wong pushes the button to release the door just as that area of the console blows up and she is clearly dead.

He takes control of the bridge. Sulu races to the weapons console. "Scottie are the photon torpedoes ready." Scotty replies thee is a 50:50 chance they will work or blow up the Enterprise.

Kirk as always takes the chance. 4 pulses of energy cascade into the Klingon, destroying it completely.

Sulu comments the Klingon commander was so sure there would be no response he put all his energy into attack leaving none for his shields.

Kirk has the last word. "Well I think we passed the Inspection with flying colours. Ahead Warp Factor 2"

Your biggest fan

Avery Bullock
Dear Avery,

Star Trek is not about Klingons! But this story has an interesting premise, especially with the Federation’s version of the FBI boarding the ship. Please change the name of Tariq Malik to another name. We recognize that Muslims are a minority in the United States and do not want to typecast them as villains. Also change the ethnicity of Kirk’s woman, Wong. In other shows, Asians are cast as seductresses and we do not want to proliferate that stereotype on Star Trek. It would be perhaps better to make Wong a Vulcan or other alien species that is allied to the Federation.

I think the Romulans would be a more interesting villain for this premise, because there has already been open conflict between the Federation and Romulans on screen, and we haven’t told a Romulan story this season. D.C. Fontana, although no longer with us on the show, would agree. The subterfuge involved would also be more characteristic of the Romulans than the comic book Klingons.

I especially like the part where Uhura unravels the plot. She loves to have more to do on the show and the opportunity is there with Spock absent. Uhura also has experience fighting Romulans. I would like the ending to be a brief battle sequence where the Romulan vessel is chased off and not destroyed. Destruction of the enemy ship is unnecessary to demonstrate the Enterprise’s capability in battle.

Overall, a good story premise. Please take this constructive criticism in mind.

Best,

The Great Bird of the Galaxy, Gene Roddenberry

In the next installment: Nixon and the Republicans get hammered in the midterms, the cast and Douglas Cramer make peace in TV Guide, a Vietnam update, and more episodes! Nixon will make an extremely interesting observation about his election defeat in the Washington Post...

Liking the look of the TL so far. Don't know much about Star Trek, but that doesn't stop it from it still being a fascinating premise to me. Glad to see the Beatles reunite, wonder how this will affect them and pop culture at large in the future.

Liking the look of the TL so far. Don't know much about Star Trek, but that doesn't stop it from it still being a fascinating premise to me. Glad to see the Beatles reunite, wonder how this will affect them and pop culture at large in the future.
The Beatles are only returning for one more world tour so they are mostly going to play their biggest hits, plus some of the songs the non-Paul Beatles played outside the group. The main butterfly is that they are going to showcase Ringo and George off more so they get more love and churn out better solo careers...I've tied off the Beatles part of the TL for now so most of the non-Star Trek stuff in 1970 and 1971 is going to be about Nixon, Vietnam and possibly some sports mixed in (Ali-Frazier I is coming up soon). If I write Beatles stories it will mostly be about where they show up on their world tour (for example, they'll definitely return to Shea Stadium). My issue with writing about the Beatles is it's such a huge topic on top of Star Trek, which is also a huge topic, that I only want to comment on them from time to time. If I don't write about it, assume that it happens the same way or largely the same way that it does IRL.

Because Star Trek doesn't return to production aside from 1 TV movie in 1972 for most of the 1970s ITTL, I will zoom through the groovy 70s and not change it that much aside from maybe the political situation, which will be altered by what Nixon does in Vietnam.

PS: Because Star Trek goes for 5 seasons, it will potentially have a big butterfly on that big Star Trek fan, George Lucas, and what he's going to obviously do in the future in that galaxy far, far away...

Last edited:
Chapter 54: GOP Midterm drubbing, Vietnam, and more Star Trek
tho.jpg

Today's update:

DEMOCRATS THUMP GOP IN 1970 MIDTERM ELECTIONS

November 4, 1970

Democrats expanded on their majorities in Congress yesterday in both houses, creating a near super-majority in the House of Representatives and reaching the 58 senator mark in the Senate. Democrats won 25 seats in the House, expanding their majority to 268 seats. They defeated Republican incumbents in traditionally GOP-leaning suburban areas, where the Vietnam War is largely unpopular. A more liberal majority appears to be in control in the House, boosting Morris Udall's chances of winning the speakership over Carl Albert, with John McCormack, the previous speaker, retiring. Democrats won Senate seats in California, Hawaii, New York, Ohio and Illinois, while holding onto their vulnerable incumbent, Joseph Tydings, in Maryland. John Tunney defeated incumbent Republican senator George Murphy in California, and Adlai Stevenson III defeated Ralph Tyler Smith in a special election in Illinois. Hiram Fong in Hawaii lost his seat to Democrat Cecil Heftel, and Democrat Howard Metzenbaum has apparently defeated Robert Taft Jr. in a very close race in Ohio, which is headed for a potential recount. Perhaps the most interesting race was in New York, where conservative firebrand James L. Buckley was favored to win election over placeholder Republican senator Charles Goodell and Democrat Richard Ottinger. However, New York's Democratic lean and excellent turnout in New York City put Ottinger over the top. Democrats held the Texas seat thought vulnerable, with Lloyd Bentsen defeating George H.W. Bush in the conservative, but still Democratic state. In Florida, the Democrats also held the seat vacated by retiring Spessard Holland, with Lawton Chiles defeating Republican William Cramer. Republicans won seats in Connecticut, where Lowell Weicker ran on an anti-war platform, and in Tennessee, where Albert Gore. Sr was defeated by Bill Brock. President Nixon was upset with the results, reportedly telling his chief of staff H.R. Haldeman that "the pointy heads and eggheads who watch Star Trek and the hippies who love the Beatles outvoted our base who watches Gunsmoke and Bonanza."

KISSINGER, THO TO MEET IN PARIS

November 5, 1970

President Nixon's national security adviser Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese representative Le Duc Tho will meet in Paris later this month in efforts to hammer out a settlement over the expanding Vietnam War. Kissinger is expected to tell Tho that bombing of North Vietnamese cities, including the capital Hanoi, will resume unless the North Vietnamese agree to peace. The North Vietnamese position was weakened recently by the American and South Vietnamese capture of Tchepone in neighboring Laos, which largely cut the Ho Chi Minh trail aiding the Viet Cong in the South. This, combined with fewer Chinese arms to the North, has placed them in a vulnerable position for the first time in years, and they are seeking a settlement that guarantees elections for both states in early 1971 with a unification election to be held four years later, in 1975. Kissinger prefers the separate election option for both nations in 1971 but with no unification elections down the line, fearing a North Vietnamese electoral victory would cause all of Vietnam to go Communist. Talks have also resumed with China over a possible state visit by President Nixon, but the Chinese are reticent to invite Nixon unless they believe a lasting peace has taken hold in Vietnam.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN OF STAR TREK TALK TO TV GUIDE

November 6, 1970

TV Guide is happy to secure this interview with the Star Trek ensemble cast. They discussed their Emmy wins, relationships within the cast, and the improved relationship with Paramount studio head Doug Cramer. Cramer also agreed to be interviewed with the cast.

TV Guide: It is a pleasure to talk to the entire cast of Star Trek. You have certainly made waves in the past four years.
Shatner: It is a pleasure to talk to TV Guide. We're the most popular show of the 1960s according to your poll.
TV Guide: We were stunned when Star Trek won that poll, and it foretold future Emmy success for the series.
Shatner: It sure did, and Leonard cashed in on that success.
Nimoy: It was the greatest honor of my career to win an Emmy playing Spock. The work I had to place into that role was phenomenal, but I'm about to leave for Mission: Impossible and hopefully an easier role.
TV Guide: No pointy ears on Mission, we think.
Nimoy: (Laughs) No pointy ears, but they might put me in other disguises because it's a spy show.
TV Guide: We heard there was some trouble among the cast.
Doohan: I settled that with a couple of smacks on Bill (Shatner, Doohan and Nichols laugh). Nichelle also got in a lick on Bill.
Nichols: I won't say how I hit Bill though.
Takei: We thought it was a stunt between Kirk and Scott in their characters. We had no idea it was real until Jimmy was legitimately hitting Bill and Nichelle jumped in with a kick.
Koenig: We perform a lot of fight scenes on Star Trek, sometimes between cast members, so of course we thought Jimmy and Bill were playing around. But they fought for real for a bit, and Gene [Roddenberry] had to save Jimmy's job.
Kelley: That was some of the highest drama I've seen on a set in all my years of acting. I'm glad it's past us and we're all friends again. Bill learned a lesson from that.
Shatner: Agreed, Dee. I learned to respect my colleagues more after that incident.
TV Guide: With that all behind you, how are you getting along with the studio? I know Shatner went public about Paramount not treating the cast well.
Shatner: Well I had to go public at the time. Contract negotiations were going poorly, we just lost our longtime producer Bob Justman, who was a friend to all of us, and we were not being treated like stars on a top television program, in the way James Arness gets treated with carte blanche over at Gunsmoke. So I stood up for everyone. Doug Cramer hated it at the time, but he loves Star Trek now. He wishes he could take it back.
TV Guide: We actually have Doug Cramer with us for this interview.
Cramer: I had you guys do the impossible for two years, and you won an Emmy for Best Dramatic Series. Your show is going to go down as an all-time classic, and if you ever make movies, they will be of the epic variety, like the Ten Commandments with Cecil B. DeMille directing. If you ever want to make a TV movie, I will gladly produce it for you and back the cast up with a representative salary.
Shatner: Why thank you, Doug.
Cramer: You're very welcome. Star Trek has become a great property for Paramount. I have never been surprised more by the popularity of a television show in all my years in the business.
Nimoy: Mr. Cramer, that is because no television series in history places the attention to detail in all of its aspects of production like Star Trek. We ensure that everything is as perfect as possible, from the sets, to the costumes, to the scripts, to the characters.
Takei: Even for the smaller parts, we assume our characters, who are completely different from who we are in real life, and play them so realistically that the television audience thinks we are actually the characters.
Nichols: I know, I get called Uhura all the time on the street.
Koenig: Same thing here, everyone thinks I'm Pavel Chekov, when I'm actually Walter Koenig (everyone laughs). People don't know that I don't speak with a Russian accent in real life, except for my family.
Doohan: I think Bill and Leonard have it hardest. They have to put everything into Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.
Shatner and Nimoy: No {expletive], Jimmy. (Everyone laughs).
Kelley: I'm not actually a doctor, but everyone thinks I'm a doctor (everyone laughs). I've received fan mail from medical students that said they were inspired by me to be doctors.
Doohan: Same here, Dee. I get fan mail from aspiring engineers because they love Mr. Scott.
Nichols: I don't get fan mail from anyone who is aspiring to be a switchboard operator (Everyone laughs).
Koenig: I get fan mail from people who think I'm Davy Jones from the Monkees with a Russian accent.
TV Guide: Are you going to make movies someday?
Shatner: We don't know. Doug has invited us back for one television movie, but I'm not sure I want to play Captain Kirk on the big screen. I might be too old by the point Star Trek makes it to movie theaters. I heard that Gene Roddenberry might replace me with Tom Selleck if it ever gets that far.
Nimoy: I don't mind putting on the ears again for a couple of months to make movies. Who knows, maybe I'll direct a couple of them someday.
Kelley: We'd be glad to make movies, but in several years it might be time for a new cast to carry on what we started if Star Trek continues as a movie franchise.
TV Guide: That'll be a wrap.
Cast: Thank you for interviewing us for TV Guide.

Last edited:
Does it say something about Shatner's changes that he does not come across of jealous of Nimoy's Emmy in the recent 'interview' pieces?

Will you be covering geopolitial events anywhere but the US?

Does it say something about Shatner's changes that he does not come across of jealous of Nimoy's Emmy in the recent 'interview' pieces?

Will you be covering geopolitial events anywhere but the US?
Shatner isn't showing it outwardly but of course he's jealous of Nimoy. His co-star got an Emmy before he did. Wait until DeForest Kelley is nominated for a supporting actor Emmy...

I'm already covering Vietnam, but it depends on how much Star Trek affects the timeline. I'm not sure how much Star Trek will effect worldwide geopolitical events because it's still not the same hit on the level it is in the States. I don't foresee Star Trek effecting elections in the UK or Europe or anything like that. Ostpolitik is going on at about this time in West Germany under Willy Brandt. Maybe Star Trek gets behind the Iron Curtain more effectively ITTL and does things. The Soviet Union considered Star Trek subversive because it considered the show pro-American propaganda.

PS: The midterm elections are going to effect what Nixon does in Vietnam. The Democrats promised to remove Nixon's war powers and won an election running on an anti-war platform in most places. So now they are going to tie Nixon's hands

Last edited:
Chapter 55: Halfway through Season Five
EPISODE UPDATES:

EPISODE 9: THE PARADISE SYNDROME; Written by Margaret Armen, directed by Jud Taylor. Air date: November 6, 1970. This is the same relatively weak episode ITTL with Kirk falling in love with the Native American woman. However, the Native American woman is not depicted as weak. The pregnancy angle between Kirk and the Native American woman is removed ITTL's episode. The episode is panned in some angles as biased against Native Americans. Nielsen rating: 1st in time slot, barely beating the CBS Friday Night Movie.

EPISODE 10: WHAT TUMULT OF THE MIND: Written by Amy Engelberg and Terry Kahn, revised by D.C. Fontana, and directed by Herb Wallerstein. Air date: November 13, 1970. This was an undeveloped 2nd season episode IRL, but is put into production after Fontana changes the script to make it producible for live action. It is Fontana's last screenwriting credit for TOS. In the episode, the Enterprise encounters a species of soothsayers who have dark images in their minds and are afraid of the Enterprise crew. Kirk falls for one of the females of the soothsayer species, who claims he is about to die. Kirk does not know whether he is going to die or not, and starts to take weird, preventative measures against his death. In a difference from OTL's script, the Klingons get involved and attempt to prey on Kirk's apparent weaknesses. Nielsen rating: 2nd to the CBS Friday Night Movie.

EPISODE 11: SHOL: Written by Darlene Hartman, directed by John Meredyth Lucas. Air date: November 20, 1970. This was an undeveloped 2nd season episode IRL, but is put into production. Roddenberry convinces Lucas to make the episode. It is very similar to the second season episode THE APPLE, and was not critically acclaimed ITTL. Nielsen rating: 2nd to the CBS Friday Night Movie.

EPISODE 12: INTERNAL AFFAIRS: Written by Gene Roddenberry (and contributed by hammo1j, so this could go to Writer's Guild arbitration LOL), directed by Marvin Chomsky. Air date, November 27, 1970. This episode was rushed into production after Roddenberry approved of the script. In this episode, Romulan moles posing as Vulcan Federation department of justice agents infiltrate the Enterprise under the ruse of inspecting the Enterprise crew and attempt to capture the ship. They place Kirk in the brig after the captain attempts to woo one of them, a Vulcan named T'Long. Uhura unravels the plot against the ship, but not before the hijackers take the Enterprise to the Romulan neutral zone. There, a Romulan ship is there to receive the Enterprise and take her as a prize back to Romulus. The Enterprise crew reveals the Romulan plot, takes back control of the ship, and defeats the Bird of Prey in a brief confrontation. This episode was critically acclaimed, and the audience loved the continued Romulan subterfuge plot against the Federation, comparing it to Mission: Impossible. Nielsen rating: 1st in timeslot. (Hat tip to hammo1j). This was the first Star Trek episode not to feature Spock in the cast.

Shatner, in a 1974 interview while working on the Animated Series:

Star Trek doesn't return to production aside from 1 TV movie in 1972 for most of the 1970s ITTL

Though I am looking forward to the Star Trek TV movie- possibly the series finale as a feature length event? I am also looking forward to reading about this animated series as by 1974 with a big hit show Paramount should be willing to throw more money into it leading to a less stiff 'cut and paste' backgrounds show than we got OTL. Can a Star Trek animated show lift cartoons from the 'kids show' ghetto?

I wonder how many of the crew would come back for a animated series considering its a lot less stress than live action? Hopefully we still get Doohan's voice acting. Would Fontana come back? Do we still get Niven's contributions?

Here's an image of Tom Selleck at about this time, in 1970. He would have made a great starship captain, if he were a sci-fi guy (which he is not IRL).

dd0c59ffd330d918405b19727291674a.jpg

Though I am looking forward to the Star Trek TV movie- possibly the series finale as a feature length event? I am also looking forward to reading about this animated series as by 1974 with a big hit show Paramount should be willing to throw more money into it leading to a less stiff 'cut and paste' backgrounds show than we got OTL. Can a Star Trek animated show lift cartoons from the 'kids show' ghetto?

I wonder how many of the crew would come back for a animated series considering its a lot less stress than live action? Hopefully we still get Doohan's voice acting. Would Fontana come back? Do we still get Niven's contributions?
The Star Trek TV movie ITTL is very similar to the real life TMP, but with far fewer special effects and a running time of only an hour and 40 minutes. The real TMP was longer than 2 hours. The Star Trek march by Jerry Goldsmith (the music for TMP and TNG IRL) is introduced as well. Alexander Courage's beef with Roddenberry occurred before my PoD so Courage is obviously not going to work for Roddenberry on the movie. They test out brand new special effects of Kirk and Scotty's journey to the Enterprise in the shuttle pod under Douglas Trumbull, who did effects for TMP IRL. Paramount Pictures decides to help out with the production as a backdoor to try and get the franchise to the big screen. Plus, Decker and Xon are already in TOS as replacements for Spock so we see them in the movie. Nimoy will come back for the movie because it's a larger paycheck.

I'm changing my tune a little about a possible animated series. The way I drew this TL it's possible that Paramount would want to bring back Star Trek and Doohan would do the voices of all the characters. Doohan can easily emulate Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley's, Takei's accents IRL. We'd have to find another voice actress for Uhura though because Nichols is off on Broadway. Perhaps Nichols can voice her parts from New York and the show is produced in NY instead of LA? It's possible, studios in NY had the capability to create, produce and broadcast cartoons at this time, since some TV shows were broadcast from NY IRL.

Fontana did TAS IRL so she could do it ITTL as well. Larry Niven is an excellent writer, so why not?

Last edited:
Regarding an Animated series ITTL

How about the Star Trek Animated show starts life as a series of 15 min shorts designed to go out in the UK and other places where Trek is playing on ad free channels to make up the time to an hour. Keoing and Doohan going to do the voices. It’s simple animation, quick semi-serious moral lesson stuff.

However Shatner is struggling to find work in 1973- everyone knows him as Jim Kirk. The convension circuit is not big enough for him to sustain a living. It’s ads or starve, then he hears word about the Animated shorts and tries to get involved suggesting a 30 min show instead. Paramount are recultant due to cost, but Cramer bats for it as does Roddenberry. It’s a good way to keep the franchise going and might sell some toys/merch.

Course once they here and entire regular cast wants in and Paramount nearly cans it, but get talked round as it’s still cheap esp when done by a NYC company rather than LA prices.

The Animated show Season 1 is only 26 episodes long and features decent quality scripts from the not used pile and ideas from Keoing, Fontana, Niven, and a host of fans. The animation is ok- better than OTL but not top of the ‘73-74 animated charts.

The show does down well. It’s not kids TV but it’s not quite as serious as the live action show, Roddenberry considers it canon, so the events get written into the Franz Joesph Guides along with other official guides and books about the show inc an official Federation Chronology.

Regarding an Animated series ITTL

How about the Star Trek Animated show starts life as a series of 15 min shorts designed to go out in the UK and other places where Trek is playing on ad free channels to make up the time to an hour. Keoing and Doohan going to do the voices. It’s simple animation, quick semi-serious moral lesson stuff.

However Shatner is struggling to find work in 1973- everyone knows him as Jim Kirk. The convension circuit is not big enough for him to sustain a living. It’s ads or starve, then he hears word about the Animated shorts and tries to get involved suggesting a 30 min show instead. Paramount are recultant due to cost, but Cramer bats for it as does Roddenberry. It’s a good way to keep the franchise going and might sell some toys/merch.

Course once they here and entire regular cast wants in and Paramount nearly cans it, but get talked round as it’s still cheap esp when done by a NYC company rather than LA prices.

The Animated show Season 1 is only 26 episodes long and features decent quality scripts from the not used pile and ideas from Keoing, Fontana, Niven, and a host of fans. The animation is ok- better than OTL but not top of the ‘73-74 animated charts.

The show does down well. It’s not kids TV but it’s not quite as serious as the live action show, Roddenberry considers it canon, so the events get written into the Franz Joesph Guides along with other official guides and books about the show inc an official Federation Chronology.
Shatner gets to be Steve Austin in the Six Million Dollar Man ITTL, but the rest of the ideas sound good. Shatner's Six Million Dollar Man comes about because he ironically is willing to do the role for less money than Lee Majors, who wants to be a movie star and get paid like it. The problems with Shatner in that role are apparent; Shatner's weight becomes an issue with fans. Shatner also wants to be a movie star but Hollywood circles shut him down because he called out Cramer in public, so he has to settle for more TV. Due to his fame as Kirk ITTL, he can write his own ticket on TV.

I could possibly set TAS a little later in the 1970s, like 1975-1976, and design it as a push to get a big feature film done which kids will watch along with the regular fanbase. Roddenberry would see this as an avenue for more kids to get into the franchise, to ensure its popularity on the big screen. Plus merchandising opportunities for the kiddos.

Cramer leaves Paramount after 1971-1972 to become an independent producer with Aaron Spelling as he does IRL, but because of Star Trek's success, Cramer is willing to go to bat for it and put his name on it, seeking out more success for his name

Last edited:
Well your quote from Shatner was 1974. Perhaps he records some lines for Captain Kirk but is otherwise not involved in it?

I could see the animated series working as a 'lesser' character spotlight- M'Benga, Chapel, Kyle, etc with Uhura, Chekov, Sulu and Scotty being the main stars. Kelly might do more than say Nimoy, but its more a 'downstairs' than 'upstairs' show.

Something like that?

Maybe it's more like the original TAS proposal with the TOS crew mentoring the crew of the Excalibur, including a Vulcan called Steve?

It's unlikely that I'll be able to update the timeline until Saturday (lots of work commitments). So I shall give it a three day break so it can be read and digested...