WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cannot see Regan going 'easy' with Khomeini - he is either going to court them as another authoritarian regime to keep them from the Soviet orbit (highly unlikely) or go down hard on them with heavy sanctions, fuelling resistance, blocking trade, etc etc.

"TMP received eight nominations". - 8 Oscar noms are a great thing for Trek, and for sci-fi in general. Nothing for Close Encounters or was that the year before?

Nice of Siskel and Ebert to remember the people who actually make the movie look good- costumes, cinematography, and art direction!

5 Oscars for TMP is not a bad haul at all. Glad Superman got some gongs as well.

So in WoK it is worth mentioning that Reliant has been 'completely rebuilt' since the Klingon war as otherwise folk might be surprised at it beating Enterprise.

I still cannot understand the Peter Preston moment when Scotty leaves his post in a battle situation to bring a body to the Bridge? Sure its powerful, but it never worked for me as a moment- I simply cannot see Scotty leaving his engines while his ship is under attack- family or not. And showing a body to Kirk? What does that prove- Kirk ALREADY knows the burden of command. One more body proves nothing.

I suggest a moment of confrontation in Sickbay after they escape the Genesis Wave, when the ashen faced Krk walks through Sickbay and sees Scotty greiving over Peter, who looks up and glares at Kirk, maybe even moves towards him, but it stops by Bones who says something like "he knows the butchers bill"

Sulu and Chekov switching roles makes sense- though I somehow can see a scene on Reliant where Sulu raises concern with Terrall about the system considering he'd know where Khan was dumped, and also as a Science officer he should raise the missing planet problem for the system- just before volunteering to check the metallic or fusion signature hey are getting from Ceti Alpha V.

"face-to-face between Shatner and Montalban on Regula" - I agree I think this is the only place you can do it. Khan teasing Kirk just before he beams off.

Why didn't Enterprise detect Reliant early at Regula- I cannot remember?

Bit where Kirk and co at at his apartment- perhaps put the cast in casuals instead of uniform to make it clear they are off duty?

Action in the Hormuz Strait could erupt into a general war, one I could see Regan welcoming given the 1980 election is coming.

Wonder if the petrol price jump from Iran/OPEC US sales ban sees investment in alternative energy? Perhaps not electric cars (yet) but hydroelectric, solar, turbines, and geothermal, all of which where known at this time and just needed investment.

No way Iraq and Kuwait are joining a OPEC blockade of the US, they are probably upping production.

John Glenn vs Ronnie Regan in 1980? Hum.... think how the foreign policies impact on domestic prices may be the swing there...

That Starlog story seems a little too on the nose? Still many folk have guessed these things correctly before.

Maybe Paramount wants to alternate between big films and TV movies with us to keep us busy." - sounds like a great plan for maximising Trek, trying spin off ideas, or highlighting the co-stars.

Takei resigned? That seems.... far fetched from the little I know of the man? Leave at end of his term maybe, but resigning does not feel right for him imho.

Space Invaders tournament- wonder if someone will televise or make a documentary about it?
--I'll have to research what Reagan did with Khomeini IRL. I know that he supported Saddam and the Iraqis in the Iran-Iraq War, and went behind Carter's back to free the hostages right when he was about to be inaugurated.
--Close Encounters premiered in November 1977, just like IRL, so it has a similar reputation ITTL, plus whatever awards it received.
--The Sneak Previews Academy Award show in 1978 was the first time Siskel and Ebert previewed categories other than the big six at the Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Actress).
--Superman got an extra Academy Award ITTL for Best Video Editing (Stuart Baird).
--Reliant being refitted is a good point to add in this Wrath of Khan.
--The Bones moment you suggested is also a good one, especially with the events of TTL's TMP. The Scotty moment with Peter Preston dying is a tremendous moment for his character, one of the best in the entire series, TV and movies.
--If Sulu and Chekov are switched, Sulu would know those things. The part about the Federation not knowing that Ceti Alpha VI exploded is a bit of a plot hole in the real Wrath of Khan.
--Kirk and Bones are not in uniform when they're drinking the Romulan ale in Kirk's house on Earth.
--A direct conflict with Iran definitely helps an incumbent president, in this case Reagan.
--IRL, the oil crises did not directly lead to the development of electric automobiles for widespread use. This did not occur until the last decade. Someone like Kennedy or Glenn could bring this up though.
--I think with the South switching to the Republicans at this point, a Reagan vs. Glenn election is the only one I can make close, even with Reagan's problems.
--Iraq and Kuwait might not join Iran in an OPEC embargo, but maybe Venezuela does. Iran will largely fail in this effort because of schisms in the Arab world.
--Planet of the Titans is going to be the only other television movie.
--A Space Invaders documentary would be interesting. Maybe someone already made one, because of the importance of that game on the history of video gaming...

marathag

Banned
I assume in the end its the usual problem? Viable batteries that were light enough and cheap enough for high performance just didn't exist until the 1990's or later.
Yep, Lead-Acid batteries had improved from the first round of electric cars of the 1900s, but not enough. That why the above car had the extra axle, to help support the battery pack weight.
Ni-Cads were around, but had that loss of capacity if charged incorrectly, which was easy to do with the primitive chargers, though better chargers were just around the corner.

That’s why I excluded electric cars from my Alt energy suggestions. While they existed in numbers in the 1900’s they got supplemented by fossil fueled and it’s only recently that battery powered cars have made a come back.

Perhaps ITTL though a battery swap in/out approach may arise instead of fast charging- but this a 2 decades away from where we are in the timeline currently.

Solar, turbines etc however could be done however.

That’s why I excluded electric cars from my Alt energy suggestions. While they existed in numbers in the 1900’s they got supplemented by fossil fueled and it’s only recently that battery powered cars have made a come back.

Perhaps ITTL though a battery swap in/out approach may arise instead of fast charging- but this a 2 decades away from where we are in the timeline currently.

Solar, turbines etc however could be done however.
Batteries would be to heavy and bulky for hot swapping as we'd be talking something the size of a chest freezer at this point.

Chapter 137: June 1979
A short update today, but there's an earthshaking story in the world of entertainment in this update. Charles Bluhdorn, the president of Gulf+Western, wants to buy the Walt Disney Company. Plus, an update on the Reagan administration, and Star Trek: Planet of the Titans concludes filming.

hqdefault.jpg
Walt_Disney.png

BLUHDORN EYES DISNEY TAKEOVER

June 5, 1979

Charles Bluhdorn, the billionaire industrialist and CEO of conglomerate Gulf+Western, is seeking his largest corporate takeover yet: the acquisition of the struggling Walt Disney Company. After Star Trek: The Motion Picture cemented Paramount's status as the top movie studio in Hollywood, Bluhdorn believes that he has the assets and financial clout to force a deal out of Disney chairman Card Walker. "Bluhdorn sees this moment as the time to strike, and Disney has never been at a lower point in its history, especially when it comes to making motion pictures," a source close to Bluhdorn told the Journal. Although Disney is still profitable, parts of its operation are shedding money, especially its moribund movie division. The proposed deal would acquire Disney in stages: the motion picture division would be immediately absorbed and placed under the control of Paramount Pictures, and the theme parks, Walt Disney World in Florida, and Disneyland in Southern California, would be acquired by Bluhdorn over a period of two years. Bluhdorn will keep the Disney name on the properties. Mr. Walker has proposed a sale price of $750 million for Disney, and Bluhdorn, after his troubles with the Securities and Exchange Commission subsided, is able to cover the cost, provided he sells off several plots of land in the Dominican Republic. "If Bluhdorn acquires Disney, Paramount will become the largest filmmaker in history," several Hollywood insiders commented. "No other studio could possibly compete with them, with the possible exceptions of Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Brothers."

NUCLEAR ARMS TALKS STALLED
REAGAN ADMINISTRATION, U.S.S.R. CANNOT AGREE ON TERMS

June 19, 1979

Secretary of State Mr. Henry Kissinger told his Soviet counterpart, Mr. Andrei Gromyko, that no agreement was possible on reducing the nuclear stockpiles in both nations unless the Soviet Union withdrew troops from Czechoslovakia and promised no further military actions for the remainder of the calendar year. The Reagan administration is still furious about Soviet aggression in Prague, despite a drawdown of troops there, and perceives the Islamic Iranian takeover as Soviet-backed, despite little evidence that Moscow supports Mr. Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran. "The Soviet Union is a bad actor at this stage, and we cannot trust them with an agreement that they could shred at a moment's notice, especially with nuclear arms," Mr. Kissinger said. Two years ago, American and Soviet troops eyeballed each other near Berlin, as the Soviets failed to cut off the disputed city due to American intervention. "The American stance in negotiations is to distrust the Andropov government, who has violated world peace at every turn," Mr. Reagan's chief of staff, Mr. Donald Regan, said. "Until Moscow chooses to coexist with the Western world instead of attempting to overthrow it, no nuclear arms deal is possible." Mr. Gromyko interpreted the negotiations in the following way: "The Americans under the Reagan government are not a negotiating partner. The Soviet Union will continue to defend itself by any means necessary from capitalist aggression. Premier Andropov views American arms in Czechoslovakia and the attack on Iranian naval forces in the Hormuz Strait as actions of a rogue government."

STAR TREK TV MOVIE CONCLUDES FILMING

June 21, 1979

William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley celebrated the end of filming Star Trek: Planet of the Titans, with a more subdued celebration than their blockbuster motion picture outing, still playing in some theaters eight months after its release. NBC, attempting to capitalize on the Trek boom, negotiated with Paramount and Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, to bring the cast back for one more television feature. The cast agreed, although reluctantly. "We were not as excited to go back on television for Star Trek because of the movie success," Shatner said. "We want to return next year for the sequel, hopefully get a great script, and ring up the cash registers at the box office again, just like we did with Star Trek: The Motion Picture." Gene Roddenberry convinced the cast, who initially did not want to make a television movie, to make the movie for him, because Paramount is very reluctant on giving control of the sequel to Roddenberry. "We did it as a favor to Gene," Kelley said. "Gene did so much for us over the years, so we all owed it to him." James Doohan, back on the scene as Mr. Scott, was more enthusiastic than the big three stars. "I love making Star Trek, regardless of whether it is for television or the movie theater," Doohan said. "I'm nearing sixty, and I'm grateful for any chance I get to be Mr. Scott. Who knows how many more times we'll make movies together."

Shatner: Planet of the Titans was an average script. There were some decent scenes where we fought the Klingons again, but I felt as if it did not live up to the first feature film. I'm glad it was relegated to television. That being said, the movie was excellent business for NBC, who wanted Roddenberry to create a new Star Trek television series. But by then, Roddenberry was fed up with Paramount, and no new series was on the horizon yet. Even if there was a new series, the cast unanimously agreed not to do it, as making the television series a decade ago was an enormous grind. I know that I largely wanted to be in movies, and Leonard was of the same viewpoint. DeForest Kelley was enjoying his time working with Robin Williams, and Nichelle Nichols loved playing Bobby Ewing's lawyer on Dallas.

Last edited:
Gulf+Western buying Disney? Well why not - that is not something I have seen in a Timeline before!

Certainly would shake up the movie biz - and if Disney are able to put that purchase price back into the Parks could spark a revival of them?

Reagan is not likely to make an arms deal with the USSR at this time. They might be able to agree intelligence sharing on Iran maybe since a rogue Islamic state is a threat to both of them.

Star Trek: Planet of the Titans sounds like it will be an OK TV movie, and a good follow up to In Thy Image, but certainly not comparable to Motion Picture.

Gene should see about reviving the Gary Seven spin off, or perhaps a Star Trek: Reliant or similar if he wants to stay invovled with his creation. Otherwise see if he can get one of his other series ideas made and walk away for a while.

Gulf+Western buying Disney? Well why not - that is not something I have seen in a Timeline before!

Certainly would shake up the movie biz - and if Disney are able to put that purchase price back into the Parks could spark a revival of them?

Reagan is not likely to make an arms deal with the USSR at this time. They might be able to agree intelligence sharing on Iran maybe since a rogue Islamic state is a threat to both of them.

Star Trek: Planet of the Titans sounds like it will be an OK TV movie, and a good follow up to In Thy Image, but certainly not comparable to Motion Picture.

Gene should see about reviving the Gary Seven spin off, or perhaps a Star Trek: Reliant or similar if he wants to stay invovled with his creation. Otherwise see if he can get one of his other series ideas made and walk away for a while.
Gulf+Western buying Disney could have huge repercussions in a lot of ways. Just a few:

1. Paramount will be the 4th network, so all the Star Trek spinoffs will air on Paramount. If this happens I have to go back and change the post where Roddenberry said TNG will air on NBC.
2. If Paramount is the 4th network, Barry Diller won't leave Paramount and Fox will become a lot less popular as a fifth network, or possibly not be created until the 1990s. Paramount could mount a bid for NFL football in the early 1990s the way Fox did.
3. Paramount will create a news network with a liberal bend before Fox News Channel is created in the 90s (Diller, Eisner and Katzenberg are all major Democratic donors). This will have major butterflies on American politics, as most of Paramount's leadership at this time was left-leaning. The hard-right wing turn among the American people is stopped and the Republicans have to be a moderate to mildly conservative party instead of a hard conservative party.
4. Paramount will take some of its programming off the Big Three to make its new network schedule with no Star Trek as its primetime TV anchor until 1987. If Paramount creates their network before 1982, Cheers will air there instead of NBC, so massive changes in television schedules will occur as Paramount will produce new series in house.
5. Disney programming will exclusively appear on the Paramount network instead of the Big Three.

Plus a few others I haven't mentioned...

It's possible that Reagan and Andropov share intel on the Ayatollah, but relationships are pretty chilly between Washington and Moscow...

Roddenberry is going to make Battleground: Earth and Andromeda during his lifetime.

The Disney name would still be on the theme parks

Last edited:
If I go through with the Gulf+Western takeover of Disney that's a major inflection point in the timeline, in all different ways. Events which would be quite unlikely to occur IOTL or did not occur IOTL could occur in this TL. There is actual precedent for a story like this: Saul Steinberg, another industrialist, almost took over Disney in 1984, which was at the end of the lean years for the House of Mouse before Eisner and Katzenberg took over from Paramount and revolutionized the company

Last edited:
Chapter 138: Gulf and Western buys Disney (early July 1979)
This update will have significant repercussions for everything going forward in this timeline. Although it won't be long, its impact will materially impact America. Gulf+Western, the conglomerate owned by Charles Bluhdorn, agrees to buy the Walt Disney Company.

Gulf_and_Western_logo.png
Photo Mar 30, 2012 2_09 PM.jpg

BLUHDORN BUYS DISNEY FOR $1.2 BILLION
LARGEST ENTERTAINMENT MERGER IN HISTORY

July 10, 1979

The House of Mouse is a Gulf and Western company. In one of the largest mergers in American business history, Charles Bluhdorn, CEO of Gulf and Western, agreed to buy the Walt Disney Company for $1.2 billion with Disney chairman Card Walker. The merger creates the largest studio in Hollywood, with Disney's lagging movie division, once a force in entertainment, now a subsidiary of Paramount Pictures. The famous Disney theme parks will keep their name, and the money will be used by Gulf+Western to build more theme parks in addition to revitalizing Disneyland and expanding Walt Disney World. "This could be the most important merger in American history, and that includes all of the deals involving steel, oil and other important resources," said Arthur Burns, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve. "The cultural impacts of Paramount owning Disney will be felt far and wide." Paramount Pictures chairman and CEO Barry Diller is expected to ask Bluhdorn for the right to create a fourth major television network. Paramount is in the process of purchasing several local television chains in order to build the spine of a national television network. "Diller expects to have the Paramount Television Network running by next autumn," a source at Paramount said. "Paramount is in a remarkable position. It now has exclusive access to all of the Walt Disney Company's intellectual property, and has enough programming airing on the Big Three television networks to force them into a difficult position. Does Paramount pull its shows off CBS, NBC and ABC and produce them in-house? This prospect seems likely now." The impact on Paramount Pictures, the famous studio which almost went bankrupt 20 years ago, could be groundbreaking in Hollywood. "Paramount already established itself as the preeminent studio in Hollywood with the Godfather movies, Chinatown, and Star Trek. Now they can make Disney movies? I don't see how any of the other studios can compete," an insider at Warner Brothers, a rival studio, said. "Our lawyers and the lawyers at other big studios like Twentieth Century Fox are considering legal action against Paramount for attempting to create a monopoly."

SNEAK PREVIEWS WITH ROGER EBERT AND GENE SISKEL--SPECIAL EDITION

Ebert: We have three movies to review on this edition of Sneak Previews. However, we open today with the earthshaking news out of Hollywood which could cause waves far beyond the silver screen, that being the purchase of the Walt Disney Company by Paramount and its parent company, Gulf and Western. Across the aisle from me is Gene Siskel, film critic for the Chicago Tribune.
Siskel: And across from me is Roger Ebert, film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times. This is the most important story to come out of Hollywood in respect to the business end since RKO studios went bust in the late 1950s.
Ebert: Or when Paramount acquired Desilu Studios in 1967. Charlie Bluhdorn buys whatever he wants.
Siskel: He didn't become one of the wealthiest men on the planet for no reason, Roger. There might not be a man more ruthless in this country than Bluhdorn when it comes to business. The entertainment impacts of Paramount owning Disney are profound. Certainly, Paramount is the dominant studio in Hollywood. They just acquired one of the other large studios, despite the fact that Disney hasn't produced a blockbuster movie in a long time.
Ebert: The fact that Paramount through Gulf and Western, now own Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Disney's motion picture division is the most shocking news I have ever heard since I got into this business over a decade ago. I can't imagine that the other studios are going to take this lying down.
Siskel: I imagine there are going to be lawsuits from Universal, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, MGM, you name it. Paramount has placed everyone in Hollywood at a significant disadvantage. They could theoretically drive every other studio out of business in the next decade unless two of them merge in an effort to compete, or their lawsuits, which I hear are going to accuse Paramount of engaging in monopolistic practices, win in the courts.
Ebert: I don't think the other studios have a leg to stand on legally, Gene. Paramount didn't do anything illegal here. They just decided to buy a struggling studio. It just happened to be Disney, which has everybody tearing their hair out, because Disney is a national treasure.
Siskel: Ironically, it was a major motion picture that gave Paramount the necessary funds to buy Disney. Star Trek made $375 million, and half of that went into the $1.2 billion merger. You could say that without Star Trek's success, Paramount wouldn't have been in the position to pull this off.
Ebert: I wonder if they're going to have the Star Trek characters at Walt Disney World now. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are going to get their own amusement ride and exhibit, I think.
Siskel: Mr. Spock is popular among the kids. I'm not sure if Leonard Nimoy wants his character to be associated with Disney though.
Ebert: Mr. Spock would consider that illogical, Gene.
Siskel: There you go again, being a Trekkie, Roger.
Ebert: Sometimes, I can't help myself. We've heard that Paramount will need a couple of years to restructure Disney to make it a movie-making powerhouse again. The scuttlebutt is that they are either going to put Michael Eisner, president of Paramount, or Jeffrey Katzenberg, the man who shepherded Star Trek to huge success at the box office, in charge of Disney.
Siskel: Both of them are young, hungry executives. The other major entertainment news from the Paramount-Disney merger is going to be the creation of a fourth major television network to compete with CBS, NBC and ABC. Paramount now has enough television properties, local networks, and intellectual property from Disney to pull this off.
Ebert: Ever since Barry Diller became CEO of Paramount, he's wanted that fourth television network. It looks like he's going to get it, and maybe as early as next year.
Siskel: Interesting. Paramount will create a major television network, without Star Trek, its most valuable property not associated directly with Disney. The Star Trek actors do not want to make a new series. They're big movie stars now.
Ebert: They'll have to figure out something. Star Trek is too big to just be sitting there as untapped potential for a Paramount TV network, Gene...

Last edited:
Shows that aired on the Big Three networks in 1980-1981 that could end up on a Paramount network ITTL:

Disney's Wonderful World (Sunday night, NBC)
Foul Play (briefly aired on ABC Monday nights)
Happy Days (ABC, Tuesday Nights)
Laverne and Shirley (ABC, Tuesday Nights)
Nero Wolfe
Taxi
Mork and Mindy
Bosom Buddies

So Paramount is going to need more programming. Although they've got some Disney, Taxi, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, and Laverne and Shirley, they've only got enough television to cover a couple of nights. So guess where they are going to turn to get a couple of more time slots filled in...a Mr. Gene Roddenberry

Background on Bluhdorn: Gulf+Western was worth $5 billion in 1979, according to this article from Time Magazine. He was the largest employer in the Dominican Republic

Some background on Disney's financial position in 1979 from an NYT article:

Disney's total assets at the end of fiscal year 1978 were almost $1.1 billion

Batteries would be to heavy and bulky for hot swapping as we'd be talking something the size of a chest freezer at this point.
Yes, that is so for the 70's, hence why I suggested swappable batteries for the 90/2000's when electric card take off again.

Since you have already taken the huge step of having Gulf+Western take over Disney I would suggest giving the top job to Jeffrey Katzenberg, instead of Eisner to further move your timeline away from OTL.

Is Disney being split up among G+W divisions then? Can we have a list of which bits go where please?

Who is next in line at G+W after Bluhdorn?