1. Fitting five enemy vessels, three allied vessels and a space station on one screen is a lot for 1978. This isn’t DS9 with CGI SFX yet.STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, PART III
Is three ships and a station a fleet?
How small is Starfleet?
War and Peace is still the longest book? slackers...
Do Terrell and Howard get a split screen moment on the viewer? That would be cool since its its obvious but not often used in Trek.
Does the Station fire on the Klingons as well?
Cutting to Enterprise and Reliant for reaction shots as Yorktown is destoryed would add to the moment methinks esp a 'we cannot help' line.
What is the transmitted song? Is the B side to Nichols single?
Koloth, Krell, and Korax all dead in action - the Empire mourns.
Proper hull breach like in ST:VI would look very cool when the Klingon disable Enterprise.
Be good to see some Red Shirts going down in H2H combat with the Klingon borders to empathise the contrast between melee and ranged preferences, otherwise it looks like a Starfleet walkover and de-empathises the Klingon threat- they DO have ranged weapons as well, they should be shown using them and missing more often or getting some melee in and then falling to ranged fire.
Contrary to that, a Starfleet officer like an Andorian holding off Klingon borders in melee would go some way to show not everyone in Starfleet is the same.
So they get Kang from his disabled ship but not the others? Sorry, but I can see them taking the entire crew off to prevent any last minute warp core breach or similar tactics.
Just Kirk, Decker, Sulu and Chekov? No security people? Really?
Decker getting shot with a disrupter when up to now the Klingons have not been (written as) shooting seems out of place- getting stabbed with Chekov killing his attacker, or the Klingon firing (badly) all the time works better.
The fight with Kor is somewhat... flat. Sulu needs to fence a Klingon or something while Kirk and Kor punch each other.
Even in these circumstances I could see Starfleet vessels taking off Kor's crew, that basic humanitarian thing they do. Letting a crew die when they can beam them out if NOT what Starfleet does, even with enemies.
Do Bones and Chapel not have nurses?
Is Scotty in sickbay in that scene too? I cannot see him leaving Engineering injured or not.
Not sure Kirk would risk getting physical with Kor in the Brig. More like taunt him from the other side of the forcefield.
Why is the War over just cos Kor and co failed? There needs to be something more - say the Chancellor hearing the news of Kor's defeat (from Kamarag?) and withdrawing his forces to the border.
A Terraforming device to fix Sherman's Planet? And the Klingons will just accept the UFP's magical solution? Gavin is deluded.
Holiday instead of fixing the Enterprise Admiral?
Some lines about the fate of the Reliant might be useful, it just gets dropped before the Kirk boarding action.
"Kirk: No Spock, you’re just becoming more human every day." - I think this should be a McCoy line.
Not a bad movie there, needs some refinement I think.
2. Starfleet and the Klingon Empire have about the same number of capital ships, somewhere between 150 and 200.
3. Terrell and Howard get at least one split screen moment with Kirk in the final act.
4. I could add a spot where Branch on Epsilon Nine fires on the Klingon fleet, but to little effect.
5. The transmitted song is from CHARLIE X, where Uhura serenades Spock.
6. The Enterprise gets scarred like in TWOK but not to the point where the hull is completely compromised.
7. Good suggestion about redshirts dying both on the Enterprise boarding scene and the Klingon ship boarding scene. I can go back and change. Good suggestion about the Klingons bludgeoning Starfleet security forces on the Enterprise, but I want to avoid an R rating.
8. Like I said before, regarding Starfleet saving Klingons, Kirk is only concerned about apprehending the Klingon commanders who ordered the genocide. The rest of them are biting the dust.
9. I could have Decker stabbed from behind by a Klingon, which would cause the spinal fractures. Good point.
10. The nurses are extras in the movie.
11. Scotty is injured. A console explodes and damages his right hand. He keeps on fighting anyway and doesn’t get treatment until after the battle.
12. Kirk is not Picard. He’s going to want to beat Kor’s behind for what he did. I could expand on the fight scene a little if you want between Kirk, Sulu and Kor.
13. The Klingons have to retreat because they have been reduced to less than 50% of their operational capacity in the other two star systems, plus they lost Kor’s fleet and the Federation knows the Klingon weakness in battle, so they would get beaten in further confrontations.
14. Kirk could say in the final scene that we are in the process of finishing repairs at Altair VI.
15. The becoming more human line...that should be a Bones line, in retrospect. I’ll go back and make some edits later.
I was awaiting the review with interest...