WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 121: September 1977
Our first TNG update, believe it or not, involving one of the actors in the series, LeVar Burton. A fight over tax cuts that goes nowhere in Congress, despite Reagan begging for them. George Foreman wins the heavyweight title again. And a retrospective from Gene Roddenberry. A short update for tonight, but hopefully a good one.

levar-burton-1977g4672credit-image-bob-v-nobleglobe-photoszumapresscom-D0T9F4.jpg

LEVAR BURTON WINS EMMY FOR ROOTS

September 12, 1977

Twenty-year old LeVar Burton is now a big time star. Burton won an Emmy for his portrayal of Kunta Kinte in the first episode of the Roots miniseries. Roots actors comprised all four nominations, which included Louis Gossett, Jr. for his portrayal of Fiddler, John Amos as Toby, and Ben Vereen as "Chicken" George Moore. However, it was the youngest of the four in Burton who came away with the statue. "I was honored to be selected as one of the main characters in Alex Haley's incredible saga, and I am overwhelmed with winning this award," Burton said in his acceptance speech. "I want to share this Emmy with Louis, John and Ben, as they are all just as deserving as I am and I wish there could be four statues, one for each of us." Kunta Kinte is characterized as a free man from West Africa who was enslaved and shipped to what is now the United States under the harshest of circumstances on an inhuman slave ship. The entire saga starts with Kinte and describes how he and his descendants lived their lives as slaves, who eventually became free men at the end of the series, over a hundred years after Kinte's enslavement. "I think we educated millions of Americans who did not know about our experience as African-Americans, and it will be one of my most incredible memories, working on this project," Burton said as he concluded his speech.

george-foreman-ken-norton-vault-leadjpg.jpg

FOREMAN KNOCKS OUT NORTON TO RECLAIM HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

September 18, 1977

George Foreman proved that there is life in the heavyweight division after Muhammad Ali's retirement by knocking out heavyweight champion Ken Norton in the 10th round of their fifteen round bout at Yankee Stadium last night. Foreman was largely in control for most of the night, hurting Norton in the fourth with a very hard right hand, and knocking down the former champion in the seventh. Norton did everything he could to avoid the Foreman power, but Big George was relentless, and he eventually forced the stoppage with another big right hand right on the button. Referee Arthur Mercante counted out Norton, and the title was Foreman's for a second time. When asked about his victory, Foreman said, "I thank God for giving me this opportunity. Without Him, there would be no chance of this happening. I had a revelation after the Young fight that I would be heavyweight champion again, and thankfully, it came true." Howard Cosell at ringside for the fight, said that Foreman was back at his dominating best and proposed two possible opponents: Earnie Shavers and Larry Holmes. "A fight between Foreman and Shavers could be the hardest hitting matchup in heavyweight history," Cosell opined. "A Holmes fight would be a classic, as they have different styles, and styles make fights."

REAGAN WANTS MORE TAX CUTS: CONGRESS SAYS NO

September 22, 1977

President Ronald Reagan's efforts to pass a second tax cut in Congress have been dismissed out of committee by Democrats in both the House and Senate. "One tax cut is enough, and that should work out well for American families," said Speaker of the House Morris Udall in a press conference. "President Reagan wants to slash the public safety net by reducing Medicare and Social Security taxes in this proposal, and there is no way we will accept that. Plus, he is demanding a tax cut for the highest bracket above the middle class, which is unacceptable." Vice President Tower derided the Democrats for their refusal to accept Reaganomics, the new economic plan proposed by the President. "Democrats are the tax and spend party that want to take money out of the hardworking American man and woman's pockets, while President Reagan and I want to put more money in your pockets," the Vice President said. Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd would consider the tax cuts, only if it was paired with spending. "We can negotiate another middle class tax cut as long as Social Security and Medicare are expanded," Byrd said. "Otherwise, a second tax cut is dead on arrival in the Senate."

And finally, an update from Gene Roddenberry:

When filming wrapped, Bill Shatner was concerned that we would lose our spot as the top science fiction saga to Star Wars, which was making a lot of money in theaters at the time. I told Bill, "there's a place for Star Wars and there's a place for what we do. The movie-going crowd will love both stories. I have confidence that we will be able to compete." As it proved, I was correct, and Star Trek made almost as much money as Star Wars, leading to some serious comparisons between the fans of the two franchises. Because we succeeded so dramatically, Paramount wanted me to write a second Star Trek film with similar themes, lots of space battles, and a comic book villain. I refused, and wrote a story similar to City on the Edge of Forever where the Enterprise crew, against their own desires, is transported back to 1963 and has to keep the timeline intact, which unfortunately included not interfering in President Kennedy's assassination. Paramount didn't like me very much for that, so I re-proposed Planet of the Titans, which had a Klingon battle scene. Paramount said they would produce it as a television movie, which I disapproved of, but we eventually got it done in for broadcast in 1980. That should have been the second feature film, but Paramount was not keen on my ideas, and they brought in Harve Bennett to produce the next three films. I left the Star Trek universe altogether in 1980 to produce Battleground Earth, which had a four season run.

NOTE: Foreman knocked out Norton in 1974 in round 2 of their only fight, which was the last fight before he lost to Ali in Zaire (Rumble in the Jungle). Foreman never fought Shavers or Holmes IRL.
NOTE: Reagan's tax cuts were passable in a Republican Senate IRL, but would have a much more difficult time negotiating them through a fully Democratic Congress. Reagan believed that "we must hold down the tax burden on current and future workers" for Social Security. At times, he thought it should be a voluntary program to pay into, before he became President.
NOTE: Louis Gossett Jr. won the Emmy for Roots in 1977 in the category Burton was nominated in.

Last edited:
Larry Holmes vs Foreman would be an interesting fight I mean Holmes was a sparring partner to Ali and Frazier I can't see him not having picked up a thing or two and since Ali retired early in this round I could see him sparring with Holmes to get him ready to whup Foreman seeing it as some sorta way to avenge the loss.

Larry Holmes vs Foreman would be an interesting fight I mean Holmes was a sparring partner to Ali and Frazier I can't see him not having picked up a thing or two and since Ali retired early in this round I could see him sparring with Holmes to get him ready to whup Foreman seeing it as some sorta way to avenge the loss.
I think Foreman would whup Holmes the first time, but Holmes would potentially win the second and third fights once he gets used to Foreman's power. I want to set up a trilogy between them after Foreman takes care of Shavers in a brutal fight ITTL

Well congratz to Le VarBurton, I do wonder if a Emmy winner like him would take a job like La Forge instead of say Riker? Black XO on TNG would be an interesting change.

If Reaganomics is having a hard time being adopted in the US, I wonder if monetarism in general will not take off? That would derail Thatcher- presuming she becomes PM greatly as well as change the course of the world going into the 80's. I suggest doing this just to see how the world comes out.

So Series > TV Movie > Animated show > Feature film > TV movie > 2nd Feature? - been a LOT more Trek so far ITTL. More please!

So Roddenberry is out, and on his own terms its seems rather than being forced out. 1980-1984/5 for Battlefield Earth. If Galactica gets cancelled as per OTL (could it survive?) is there much other 'serious' sci-fi on at the time?

Wonder if ITV picks up Battlefield Earth and the BBC gets Galactica? Both showed it in the UK at different times: http://www.culttv.plus.com/exclusive/battlestargalactica/BSG.html

Hum... musing: would Battlestar Galactica be better as a trilogy of TV movies than a series?

Ya know in this timeline I can see Shatner being cast as Adama in the remake of BSG. BSG could work well as tv movies as it's different enough from Star Trek to not be dismissed as a copy if they were smart they could do what the remake did and sorta use what's going on in the world to inspire the plot it would work well in the 70's I'd bet.

marathag

Banned
That would derail Thatcher- presuming she becomes PM greatly as well as change the course of the world going into the 80's. I suggest doing this just to see how the world comes out.
Things are still set to go off the rails from all the Strikes there, and Callaghan doing a terrible job of handling things.
He made Peanut look competent

Ya know in this timeline I can see Shatner being cast as Adama in the remake of BSG. BSG could work well as tv movies as it's different enough from Star Trek to not be dismissed as a copy if they were smart they could do what the remake did and sorta use what's going on in the world to inspire the plot it would work well in the 70's I'd bet.
ITTL it's very likely Shatner or Nimoy could get the Adama role since Shatner's no longer on Six Million Dollar Man and Nimoy wants to play characters other than Spock. Gene Coon is still alive advising Glen Larson ITTL, and would definitely recommend Shatner or Nimoy for the role.

Things are still set to go off the rails from all the Strikes there, and Callaghan doing a terrible job of handling things.
He made Peanut look competent
Thatcherism will still take hold in the UK but perhaps she loses in 1987 ITTL and Labour takes over instead of resigning the prime minister's role in 1990 IRL. US politics will definitely be different. Perhaps the monetarism philosophy takes more of a hold in the UK than in the US ITTL.

I wasn't planning a lot of UK politics changes. I was planning a LOT of UK football/soccer changes, specifically with the hooliganism, and may attempt to butterfly away Heysel in 1985 by moving that European Cup final to the Camp Nou instead of holding it in Belgium. Therefore, English teams are not banned from Europe, and Everton can win that European Cup in 1986, and Liverpool can face those AC Milan teams in the late 80s, etc.

Last edited:
Well congratz to Le VarBurton, I do wonder if a Emmy winner like him would take a job like La Forge instead of say Riker? Black XO on TNG would be an interesting change.

If Reaganomics is having a hard time being adopted in the US, I wonder if monetarism in general will not take off? That would derail Thatcher- presuming she becomes PM greatly as well as change the course of the world going into the 80's. I suggest doing this just to see how the world comes out.

So Series > TV Movie > Animated show > Feature film > TV movie > 2nd Feature? - been a LOT more Trek so far ITTL. More please!

So Roddenberry is out, and on his own terms its seems rather than being forced out. 1980-1984/5 for Battlefield Earth. If Galactica gets cancelled as per OTL (could it survive?) is there much other 'serious' sci-fi on at the time?

Wonder if ITV picks up Battlefield Earth and the BBC gets Galactica? Both showed it in the UK at different times: http://www.culttv.plus.com/exclusive/battlestargalactica/BSG.html

Hum... musing: would Battlestar Galactica be better as a trilogy of TV movies than a series?
LeVar Burton as Commander LaForge (first officer) and Jonathan Frakes as Chief Engineer Riker would be an interesting twist. I want to resist that but it's possible and they could theoretically perform those roles.

Thatcher is most likely still coming to power in the UK, so far as I can see it. There could be a change in the timeline where she loses in 1987 instead of her resigning in 1990.

Yep, lots more Trek. Although TNG's run will be quite different. There will be 19 fewer episodes, but far more television movies after its run ends. The Enterprise-D will not be destroyed ITTL; it will be decommissioned because it takes substantial damage from a Borg cube or a Cardassian fleet in one of the TV movies before First Contact.

I plan on BSG lasting on television until 1982 ITTL. We'll have Battleground Earth as Roddenberry's new series, and perhaps a Star Wars live action series or cartoon after ROTJ. For many years after ROTJ, Star Wars was effectively dormant except for the books, which became part of SW canon before Disney took over the franchise and decanonized many of them

Last edited:
A cybernetly sighted black First Officer could work really well, esp if the ambitiou, eager to prove, ‘actiony’ parts of Riker transferred. Burton could certainly get his chops into that, while I can see Frakes easily playing a adorkable, trombone playing, lovable chief engineer who’s Data’s best friend.

Other suggestions for TNG: with a Chief Engineer from the start maybe transfer O’Brien to conn/helm more often than transporters, and give him a name earlier?
Have Yar promoted to XO on a ship that the First Officer is also supposed to transfer too as Captain but turns down at the last second but Yar goes anyway.
Give the Tactical station a chair in 1st season- Worf finally got one in Generations, just before the ship went KaBoom.
Keep the The Neutral Zone but use the original team up vs the Borg idea so it’s a two parter into season2. Used the downtimers knowledge is a nice twist idea from the show I liked.
More TOS references and characters earlier on please! TNG should not lean on them, but it did go out of the way to avoid it too. Some follow up to some of the planets like Miri might be nice, esp if you are cycling out crap like Skin of Evil.

As for the Enterprise-D - if you must destroy it (I am not convinced it is so) then I think the ship going out needs to be a big occasion- how about the first movie uses the Romulan coup plot- no clones or anything like that, but Tom Hardy playing a young, driven Romulan who launches a coup and then starts a war with the UFP. The Neutral zone goes up in fire, Starfleet scrambles to respond, there are some spectacular battles and the war shows up in DS9 S2 before a second movie sees the 1701-D facing off against the Scimitar and getting its ass kicked, before a Romulus fleet shows up and evens the odds while Data and Chief Engineer Riker cook up a technical solution that wins but leaves the Galaxy class trashed.

A post Jedi Star Wars cartoon could be amazing, esp as a bridge from the movie to say the Thrawn trilogy which could be movies instead of books? Animated could work, but it has to be higher quality than the Ewoks one!

BSG lasting 1978 to 1982? Having 4 seasons is a great run, will do well in Syndication I’d have thought. Gets rid of the terrible Galactica 1980 too. Look forward to ITTL me buying all the merch!

Thatcher was not destiny, sorta depends on how the late 70’s went, which are different here. though she could win in 79 a different 83 without the Falklands and considering the mess the economy was in then she could lose. Labour would need a different manifesto though.

A cybernetly sighted black First Officer could work really well, esp if the ambitiou, eager to prove, ‘actiony’ parts of Riker transferred. Burton could certainly get his chops into that, while I can see Frakes easily playing a adorkable, trombone playing, lovable chief engineer who’s Data’s best friend.

Other suggestions for TNG: with a Chief Engineer from the start maybe transfer O’Brien to conn/helm more often than transporters, and give him a name earlier?
Have Yar promoted to XO on a ship that the First Officer is also supposed to transfer too as Captain but turns down at the last second but Yar goes anyway.
Give the Tactical station a chair in 1st season- Worf finally got one in Generations, just before the ship went KaBoom.
Keep the The Neutral Zone but use the original team up vs the Borg idea so it’s a two parter into season2. Used the downtimers knowledge is a nice twist idea from the show I liked.
More TOS references and characters earlier on please! TNG should not lean on them, but it did go out of the way to avoid it too. Some follow up to some of the planets like Miri might be nice, esp if you are cycling out crap like Skin of Evil.

As for the Enterprise-D - if you must destroy it (I am not convinced it is so) then I think the ship going out needs to be a big occasion- how about the first movie uses the Romulan coup plot- no clones or anything like that, but Tom Hardy playing a young, driven Romulan who launches a coup and then starts a war with the UFP. The Neutral zone goes up in fire, Starfleet scrambles to respond, there are some spectacular battles and the war shows up in DS9 S2 before a second movie sees the 1701-D facing off against the Scimitar and getting its ass kicked, before a Romulus fleet shows up and evens the odds while Data and Chief Engineer Riker cook up a technical solution that wins but leaves the Galaxy class trashed.

A post Jedi Star Wars cartoon could be amazing, esp as a bridge from the movie to say the Thrawn trilogy which could be movies instead of books? Animated could work, but it has to be higher quality than the Ewoks one!

BSG lasting 1978 to 1982? Having 4 seasons is a great run, will do well in Syndication I’d have thought. Gets rid of the terrible Galactica 1980 too. Look forward to ITTL me buying all the merch!

Thatcher was not destiny, sorta depends on how the late 70’s went, which are different here. though she could win in 79 a different 83 without the Falklands and considering the mess the economy was in then she could lose. Labour would need a different manifesto though.
LaForge's relationship with Data would be very different because he's Data's commanding officer. They wouldn't be peers. Although I think Riker and Data could pull off the best friend relationship too. Good suggestion on Miles O'Brien too.

Yar is going to die the same way ITTL and be brought back the same way. Although I am making TNG's season 1 more awesome than it was IRL, they don't produce awesomeness in every episode so SKIN OF EVIL is one of the weaker shows and it will stay simply to kill her off. A tactical chair is fine as well for Lt. Worf.

THE NEUTRAL ZONE is definitely getting kept but because I'm fusing seasons 1 and 2 together and removing the worst episodes from each season to make one big 29 episode season 1, it will air earlier in the season, and Q WHO will be the season finale where we finally see the Borg. More TOS references are OK but they did write two TOS rehashes in season 1, THE NAKED NOW and WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE.

I'm still trying to work out who's going to be the doctor. Gene Roddenberry wanted Gates McFadden but Maurice Hurley didn't, so a fight breaks out over her involvement in the series, as it did IRL. So perhaps a compromise is met where Pulaski appears on some episodes, McFadden appears on others, and it's an open competition for the role that McFadden wins (because Roddenberry gets his way). Or ITTL, Gates McFadden is only committed to X number of episodes, Hurley brings in Diana Muldaur to play Pulaski, and they argue over who should get the role. Some TNG fans think Pulaski was the better character as she was modeled to be a female version of Bones. Perhaps the easiest way to retcon this is simply have McFadden have the role for the entire series, and Pulaski never appears, although I said earlier ITTL that Pulaski would be in season 1.

A Romulan coup plot is interesting for the first movie. I like the Picard-Stargazer idea better, but maybe those two ideas can be fused together, for example, Picard saves Jack Crusher and finds the timeline altered with the Romulans on the verge of defeating the Federation in a war, similar to YESTERDAY'S ENTERPRISE. The Enterprise-D could take a much worse beating in the alternate timeline and when it returns to the main timeline, they discover that the ship cannot be repaired, and has to be decommissioned, or the warp core breaches and they are left with a saucer section, so the ship is not salvageable.

I think there were a couple of 80s Star Wars cartoons but they didn't last long. Lucas by the point of finishing ROTJ was kind of burnt out and his post ROTJ work wasn't as good. So perhaps the Thrawn trilogy becomes a set of TV movies or animated features. Lucas had no desire to continue making SW movies after ROTJ and needed a nice long break from the franchise so we need to find a different director.

Gene Coon is going to write a lot of the BSG stories ITTL so that will make for a much better BSG. As Hesitated Eye said earlier in the TL, Shatner could be cast to play Adama when he's not making Star Trek movies, although it would cost a lot to pay for him. Adama would only be a recurring character instead of someone who shows up every week in that instance.

I want to change football a lot in England, not the political situation. Labour was so inept in the 1980s that it's hard to see them winning an election. Part of Thatcher's long run as PM was because Labour never got their act together, which is hard to reconcile as the party is moving in several different directions (the Benn wing, the Kinnock wing, the emerging New Labour MPs). But football/soccer in England? Make the FA reform the stadium situation after the near disaster involving Tottenham fans at Hillsborough in 1981, so no Hillsborough can occur in 1989 as England's stadiums are converted to all-seaters sooner than ITTL. Plus move the 1985 European Cup final to Barcelona so no Heysel disaster occurs, and English teams are not banned from Europe. So ITTL, Everton can win that European Cup in 1986, and Liverpool could perhaps add another European Cup or two, and maybe win the treble in 1988 before Man Utd does so IRL

Last edited:
The one small change I make on Next Gen is beside Dr Cusher , give at least one of the Command staff , a family.
Since they make a big deal of the fact that the Enterprise D has Children on board, why did none of the Command staff have a family ?
The episode "When the Bough Break" would be a lot more interesting with Picard having to deal with a angry officer who has had his child stolen and is willing to break the rules to get them back,

The one small change I make on Next Gen is beside Dr Cusher , give at least one of the Command staff , a family.
Since they make a big deal of the fact that the Enterprise D has Children on board, why did none of the Command staff have a family ?
The episode "When the Bough Break" would be a lot more interesting with Picard having to deal with a angry officer who has had his child stolen and is willing to break the rules to get them back,
Maybe O’Brien and Keiko could already have a child when the series begins, and Keiko gives birth to their second baby? Make that an O’Brien episode perhaps? The actress who played Keiko was originally considered for Yar’s role so she is available in 1987-1988

Last edited:
I would suggest establishing a day/night cycle on the Enterprise- some episodes Crusher is on duty, others Pulanski, in times of major crisis (Best of Both Worlds) both of them- perhaps have 2 Sickbays which makes sense in a ship the size of the Galaxy.

You can extend this to the others too. So some episodes it’s La Forge on the Bridge and the XO has to summon the Captain from Holo-deck riding, or breakfast, or sleep. Others is Picard and he summons XO La Forge from poker night or Klingon martial arts training. Gives the crew more depth from earlier on.

29 episodes feels wrong- I am sure there is a reason Season back then where 22-24 episodes long. Scheduling with the mid-winter break? I’d suggest stick to that and shuffle out some mediocre/bad episodes.

Does the writers strike still occur? Cos that will effect your Season 2 otherwise.

Maybe Fox wants a Star Wars show in any form. Lucas declined but his wife or someone steps up and makes something not expecting it to be popular and it explodes? Maybe an New Republic Cops! Kinda show?

I am not convinced that Thatcher was that unbeatable. If 79 is the same as OTL (no reason it should be) then Foot goes after, Kinnock or Smith comes in and they hammer away. If the Falklands goes differant (lots of things could change) then 83 could be a Labour year.

Last edited:
I want to change football a lot in England, not the political situation.
You are going to have to explain the events of English Football more then you normally do , for other things , In your timeline.
Most of us are Star Trek fans and have knowledge of both the show and some behind the scene details .
But all I know of English Football is it is the sport that I call soccer and the fan seem to often riot after the games .

I would suggest establishing a day/night cycle on the Enterprise- some episodes Crusher is on duty, others Pulanski, in times of major crisis (Best of Both Worlds) both of them- perhaps have 2 Sickbays which makes sense in a ship the size of the Galaxy.

You can extend this to the others too. So some episodes it’s La Forge on the Bridge and the XO has to summon the Captain from Holo-deck riding, or breakfast, or sleep. Others is Picard and he summons XO La Forge from poker night or Klingon martial arts training. Gives the crew more depth from earlier on.

29 episodes feels wrong- I am sure there is a reason Season back then where 22-24 episodes long. Scheduling with the mid-winter break? I’d suggest stick to that and shuffle out some mediocre/bad episodes.

Does the writers strike still occur? Cos that will effect your Season 2 otherwise.

Maybe Fox wants a Star Wars show in any form. Lucas declined but his wife or someone steps up and makes something not expecting it to be popular and it explodes? Maybe an New Republic Cops! Kinda show?

I am not convinced that Thatcher was that unbeatable. If 79 is the same as OTL (no reason it should be) then Foot goes after, Kinnock or Smith comes in and they hammer away. If the Falklands goes differant (lots of things could change) then 83 could be a Labour year.
Foot after a Falklands War has as much chance of being elected as Mosley in 1946. His position on the War, which seemed to boil down to , just give the Falklands to Argentina, was as palatable as the 1983 Labour manifesto aka "The Longest Suicide Note in History". Thatcher gone yes , replaced by Foot , Never, the Alliance would have had a greater chance of the Premiership.

I would suggest establishing a day/night cycle on the Enterprise- some episodes Crusher is on duty, others Pulanski, in times of major crisis (Best of Both Worlds) both of them- perhaps have 2 Sickbays which makes sense in a ship the size of the Galaxy
presume there is a second sickbay in the stardrive,arsenal of freedom has crusher said to be in sickbay at end of the ep,when it's just the stardrive at that time

Seasons were 26 episodes long at the time (or with some breaks for holidays, etc). The 2nd season of TNG was only 22 episodes long due to the 1988 writers strike. I could shorten the strike to 3 months, or have it start earlier, towards the end of season 1, so it doesn’t impact season 2 that much.

I think the Geordi as XO ITTL’s TNG is very interesting and might make sense because Levar Burton was a lot more well known than Jonathan Frakes when TNG was first pitched. Riker would be playing the trombone a bit with Data, that’s for sure.

Two sickbays make sense, with Pulaski as chief medical officer and Crusher as her second in command during season 1, before Pulaski moves on.

Thatcher wasn’t unbeatable but Labour was such a mess during her heyday that it’s almost an intractable situation trying to fix them...

To unclepatrick: I’ll explain the soccer situation a lot more in some of the articles I write. I’m American but have British readers so I have to tailor things a little differently. Therefore some of the sports updates might not involve American sports (although many of them will)

Last edited:
Foot after a Falklands War has as much chance of being elected as Mosley in 1946. His position on the War, which seemed to boil down to , just give the Falklands to Argentina, was as palatable as the 1983 Labour manifesto aka "The Longest Suicide Note in History". Thatcher gone yes , replaced by Foot , Never, the Alliance would have had a greater chance of the Premiership.
That’s why I suggested Foot goes after after 79. Kinnock in 83 will not run with the same manifesto.

Falklands is unlikely to happen if the few defence ships there are not withdrawn, the Argentinians are not going to invade. That certainly changes the 1983 election.

That’s why I suggested Foot goes after after 79. Kinnock in 83 will not run with the same manifesto.

Falklands is unlikely to happen if the few defence ships there are not withdrawn, the Argentinians are not going to invade. That certainly changes the 1983 election.
Callaghan was Leader in 1979 , Foot took over in 1980 after the election defeat. He beat out Denis Healey. Kinnock was just shadow education spokesman. He gained his reputation by his condemnations of how Thatcher handled the Falklands War ( would not have been fought if she had not made errors etc ) so had no chance of election to the leadership before 1983.