WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder if the White House is going to smell a little Muskie in '73?
Watergate still happens ITTL, in fact there's more of a reason for it because Nixon is facing a much tougher opponent. I have to either make Vietnam go bad for Nixon or cause the OPEC crisis a year earlier than IRL for the White House to smell Muskie. By 1971, OPEC knew they had a good deal of control in the world oil markets, but the 1973 Yom Kippur war was the triggering event, so there was no triggering event yet in 72 for OPEC to behave that way. What I know is I'm not going to keep 1973-1974 IRL with Ford becoming President, so either we're getting a President Muskie or a President Agnew. I haven't decided yet. I want to put that up to a vote with the fans of the timeline.

The other scenario for a President Muskie is cause the Bretton Woods shock to occur several months earlier than IRL, during the 1972 campaign instead of early 1973 (aka cause a stock market correction/recession in 1972).

I know Ogrebear really wants me to let the butterflies flap a lot...

Last edited:
Chapter 73: June 1972
This is the month where the infamous Watergate break-in occurs. I'll keep the actual events of the break-in largely the same, but the events that occur as a result of Watergate will transpire a bit differently.

JAMES DOOHAN TURNS TO VOICEOVER WORK, STAR TREK CONVENTIONS

June 5, 1972

Unable to land live action roles of any significant nature, James Doohan, Mr. Scott on Star Trek, has returned to his roots of voiceover work for Saturday morning cartoons. "I would prefer to be landing some television work and perhaps a small part in a major film or two, but no offers have been coming in," Doohan told the Reporter. "So I decided that entertaining the children would be a good idea." Doohan was hired to voice three cartoons: The Pink Panther, Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, and Sealab 2020. Doohan is also working the brand new Star Trek convention circuit, and loves the fans of the old series immensely. "I take every Star Trek convention that comes up around the country and revisit the old days as Mr. Scott," Doohan said. "I love to entertain the fans. I always bring Walter Koenig along with me, because he's also having a difficult time finding television work, and we put on our old accents for the crowd to enjoy." Doohan noted that the other cast members of Star Trek were often busy and unable to attend conventions, so he acts as the star. "Bill, Leonard and Dee are doing other things, so I take center stage a lot at the conventions. I put on a comedy skit as Mr. Scott that always gets a standing ovation."

5 CHARGED WITH BURGLARY AT DEMOCRATIC QUARTERS, NEW YORK TIMES, JUNE 18, 1972

https://qz.com/1008947/the-watergat...g-it-takes-to-bring-down-a-corrupt-president/.

I posted the real article since the break-in occurs at the same time as OTL.

MUSKIE ACCUSES NIXON OF DIRTY TRICKS AHEAD OF DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION

June 25, 1972

Democratic presumptive nominee Edmund Muskie of Maine did not believe the Nixon administration alibi claiming that the break-in at Democratic headquarters at the Watergate hotel was a simple third rate break in. Muskie believes that the Nixon administration was behind the burglary, because President Nixon fears that the election in the fall will be closely contested, and Nixon barely escaped defeat in 1968. "President Nixon is a very suspicious man and extremely conniving," Muskie said. "There is no way that the burglary at Watergate was a coincidence. President Nixon must come clean and either admit that his administration had a hand in the incident, or square up to the American people honestly and apologize for the actions of his men." Last week, the Nixon administration claimed that Cuban freedom fighters were the primary culprits in the burglary, and his administration was completely uninvolved. "We had no knowledge of what occurred last week at the Watergate hotel," Nixon press secretary Ron Ziegler told the White House press. Last week, James McCord, a former Central Intelligence Agency officer hired by Nixon's Committee to Reelect the President (CREEP), and four Cubans, Bernard Barker, Frank Angelo Fiorini, Eugenio Martinez, and Raul Godoy, were arrested for the burglary and arraigned in District of Columbia Superior Court.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
By 1971, OPEC knew they had a good deal of control in the world oil markets, but the 1973 Yom Kippur war was the triggering event, so there was no triggering event yet in 72 for OPEC to behave that way.
OPEC tried, and failed with the embargo of 1967.
At that time, the US was able to make up the difference. That had changed by 1971

marathag

Banned
Or Nixon gets rid of the tapes. Many different ways Nixon could have handled things, and the TL had enough butterflies for that to occur.

Or Nixon gets rid of the tapes. Many different ways Nixon could have handled things, and the TL had enough butterflies for that to occur.
The way the TL is going I'm setting up for Nixon to be succeeded by Agnew (the investigations into Agnew are quashed for another year ITTL). I haven't set up the events to the point where Muskie can win in 1972

The way the TL is going I'm setting up for Nixon to be succeeded by Agnew (the investigations into Agnew are quashed for another year ITTL). I haven't set up the events to the point where Muskie can win in 1972

Or the tapes come out, and Agnew is investigated as part of the whole scandal and the House of Cards collapses for Nixon/Agnew leading to Muskie getting the election?

Or the tapes come out, and Agnew is investigated as part of the whole scandal and the House of Cards collapses for Nixon/Agnew leading to Muskie getting the election?
Agnew's legal woes had nothing to do with Watergate. He took kickbacks and bribes from businesses in Maryland going all the way back to the time when he was a local politician in Baltimore, and these kickbacks continued well into the time he was Vice President.

It's just super hard to get a Democrat to win in 1972 no matter what with Ted Kennedy obviously out of the running (Chappaquiddick). I'm just trying to create a relatively competitive election

Agnew's legal woes had nothing to do with Watergate. He took kickbacks and bribes from businesses in Maryland going all the way back to the time when he was a local politician in Baltimore, and these kickbacks continued well into the time he was Vice President.

It's just super hard to get a Democrat to win in 1972 no matter what with Ted Kennedy obviously out of the running (Chappaquiddick). I'm just trying to create a relatively competitive election

It wasn't suggested his woes were connected to Watergate, but that Agnew is investigated as part of the Watergate investigation and the separate bribery/kickbacks uncovered at the same time. Even if Nixon resigns, and Agnew leads the ticket regardless of investigation, any candidate would be able to turn that against him during the debates causing a lost, no matter how narrowly, presidency.

It wasn't suggested his woes were connected to Watergate, but that Agnew is investigated as part of the Watergate investigation and the separate bribery/kickbacks uncovered at the same time. Even if Nixon resigns, and Agnew leads the ticket regardless of investigation, any candidate would be able to turn that against him during the debates causing a lost, no matter how narrowly, presidency.
The bribery/kickbacks investigation into Agnew started completely independent of Watergate, before the break-in, at the start of 1972. Agnew would obviously be weakened though as President by a Republican scandal though, in addition to his own scandal which could still force him from office

Chapter 74: July and August 1972
Two month update today. I'll have a pretty decent Roddenberry segment, a piece on Nixon-Muskie, a Vietnam development, and the investigation into Agnew's kickbacks in Baltimore is stalled.

Gene Roddenberry at a New York Star Trek convention, July 1972:

It is wonderful to speak with thousands of adoring Star Trek fans this afternoon. I always knew that the love for my show ran deep, but I am astonished that so many people still join together in large groups to celebrate a series that has not been on the air, aside from that wonderful television movie In Thy Image, for over a full year. I believe Star Trek is now a secular religion. The actors, the writers and I have created a whole new means of interpreting the world. We have advanced human thought beyond the petty squabbles that cause nations to go to war and politicians to talk past each other instead of talk with each other. And for that, we have created hope for a more peaceful future. We are always wondering when the balloon will go up, and constantly live in a world where one wrong move by a world power could end all of civilization. In Star Trek, I chose to develop a different philosophy. Humanity unites under one peaceful flag and explores the stars. And I believe, although we and the Russians are making incredible progress in the exploration of space, that we will never truly expand our presence as a species beyond our solar system until the world is fully at peace (applause). I witnessed and fought in war in my younger days, and understand the horrors of conflict. I've seen these same horrors infiltrate my television screen every day on CBS with Walter Cronkite's grim, truthful narration, and NBC with Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. The only way we are ever going to bring a war to the Star Trek universe is if it is instigated by a less enlightened enemy, for example, the Klingon empire, and it lines up with current world events. And I will make sure that there are tropes and ideas that are against the nature of war, even in such a movie.

I want to shepherd Star Trek to feature film status sometime very soon. I believe the audience exists for a major film to succeed, and possibly win honors from a place like the Academy (applause). I already originated an idea for a major film when the series was in its first season, and will meet the executives at Paramount Pictures soon to present my pitch. I know that Charlie Bluhdorn at Gulf and Western, the conglomerate that owns Paramount Pictures, is very interested in seeing that Star Trek becomes a movie franchise, and I am working on commitments to bring all the major actors back for a film. I know that task will be difficult, because the actors want to branch into different roles, but I believe that it will occur no later than 1975, when Mr. Bluhdorn wants a movie to be placed into production (applause). I also want to move to the front of the line for a major science fiction movie in order to ensure the franchise's continued success. Four years ago, Stanley Kubrick proved that the general public will watch a science fiction epic with his 2001: A Space Odyssey. I want my future Star Trek movie to be as successful as Kubrick's 2001 and use some of the same themes. The first producer who develops a major science fiction movie, either me with Star Trek, Dino de Laurentiis with Flash Gordon, or an otherwise undeveloped but creative concept, will corner the market with their idea on the space opera. I am attempting to convince my old cast, Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and the rest, that they could be part of a series of films that will forever secure their future in Hollywood (applause).

Lastly, I want to thank all of you in attendance. You sold NBC on the idea that an intelligent science fiction series could be possible in our first season, engaged in a massive letter-writing campaign to save Star Trek in its second season, and convinced both the network and Paramount that we were indeed one of the top shows on television in our third and fourth seasons. Without you, we would never have won an Emmy for Best Dramatic Series. Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley would never have won Emmy awards for Best Supporting Actor, and William Shatner would never have become an international icon as Captain Kirk. You ensured that Asian Americans, Russians, and African Americans were positively portrayed on television with the Sulu, Chekov and Uhura characters, when they were previously portrayed on other programs as villains or in less than ideal characterizations. You also ensured that the series retained a humorous edge with James Doohan playing the iconic Mr. Scott (applause, Doohan, Takei, Koenig and Nichols stand up to take applause). Because of all of you, Star Trek lives and will continue to live. Thank you (applause).

NIXON, MUSKIE IN CLOSE RACE AFTER DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION

July 16th, 1972

President Nixon, prepared to accept his renomination for the Republican Party next month in Miami, is still locked in a tight race with newly nominated Democrat Edmund Muskie of Maine. The Gallup Poll, after determining that Alabama governor George Wallace will not stand as a third party independent candidate, found that Nixon and Muskie were tied at 46% each, with 8% undecided. A Louis Harris poll found Muskie leading with 47%, Nixon with 45%, and 6% undecided. Both polls were within the statistical margin for error, indicating that the presidential contest scheduled for November 7 could tilt in either direction. The burglary at the Watergate Hotel of Democratic Party headquarters was consistently discussed at the convention, with a theme of "rampant corruption" portrayed by the Democrats consistently assailing the Nixon administration. The Democratic convention also criticized the war in Vietnam, arguing that the South Vietnamese were ready to defend their country and that American GIs should be removed at the soonest opportunity except for a "police force" that is similar to the troop presence along the demilitarized zone splitting North and South Korea.

Senator Muskie, in his acceptance speech, called for "a full investigation into the Nixon administration's involvement in the burglary at Democratic headquarters." On Vietnam, Muskie argued for a bombing halt and concessions from the North Vietnamese for an independent South Vietnam, without the need for unification elections, which were originally promised for 1975. On the economy, Senator Muskie believes that the Nixon administration policies will lead to a stall and eventually a recession, and called for more money to be invested into programs such as Social Security and the expansion of the Lyndon Johnson administration healthcare system, Medicare and Medicaid, to any individual below the federally-mandated poverty line and all families with at least one child.

Political advisers for Muskie believe that the challenger to the White House is ahead in critical states like New York and Pennsylvania, and is running slightly ahead in New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illinois and Missouri. Muskie's advisers also believe that President Nixon's home state of California is winnable, and Muskie will reportedly make several campaign stops in the West next week. Private polling has Nixon narrowly ahead in Ohio, and Muskie is struggling in the previously Democratic Solid South, due to his support for the 1965 Voting Rights Act and the civil rights bills passed during the Johnson administration. Muskie risks a schism in the party in the South and among blue-collar urban workers that always supported Democrats in the past, but are potential defectors to the Nixon coalition.

KISSINGER, LAIRD: NORTH VIETNAM WILL RETURN TO PARIS SOON

August 2, 1972

In a press conference, Nixon national security adviser Henry Kissinger and secretary of defense Melvin Laird claim to have received diplomatic signals from North Vietnam's Le Duc Tho, indicating that peace talks could resume soon. Kissinger said, "Operation Linebacker I and II were extremely effective interdiction campaigns against Hanoi," Kissinger told the White House press. "We have slowed their ability to wage war, and have almost driven them completely from South Vietnam. I believe the North Vietnamese have no choice but to sue for peace soon." Laird echoed Kissinger's conclusions. "We have dramatically improved the ARVN and they can soon manage their own affairs. President Ky is a very effective leader who has the confidence of his army and his country, and the future of South Vietnam looks bright." Still a proponent of Vietnamization, Laird continued, "Our ideal plan is to train the ARVN and reduce our presence to the adviser role that Eisenhower and Kennedy promoted early in the conflict. It is highly unlikely that we can fully unify Vietnam under the Saigon government, but we can accomplish the goal of a free and peaceful South Vietnam with the current leadership and military structure in place within three years."

BEALL INVESTIGATION INTO BALTIMORE COUNTY KICKBACK SCHEME STALLS

Baltimore Sun, August 15, 1972

George Beall, the United States attorney for the District of Maryland, has been told by Attorney General Richard Kleindienst that the evidence for a possible bribery scheme in Baltimore County starting in the mid-1960s is scant, and has been encouraged to place the investigation on pause for six months. The investigation ranged back to the time when current Vice President Spiro Agnew was Baltimore County executive, and later Governor of Maryland. A statement from Agnew's office claimed that the Vice President had no knowledge of any kickback scheme and would never participate in such activities. Beall objected to the interference from the Department of Justice, but will agree to the halt in the investigation. However, Beall will retain the evidence collected in the investigation in case it resumes at a later date. Beall has told his potential witnesses to remain quiet to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

Last edited:
Why is Bluhdorn so interestEd in a motion picture instead of another series? Cost? Awards?

Wouldn’t a new Star Trek series bring in more cash from advertising and syndication than a movie?

Or is the movie a lead in for a new TV show?

Why is Bluhdorn so interestEd in a motion picture instead of another series? Cost? Awards?

Wouldn’t a new Star Trek series bring in more cash from advertising and syndication than a movie?

Or is the movie a lead in for a new TV show?
Bluhdorn is all about those big dollar returns from the movies. Paramount at this point just made The Godfather which is cashing in massively for the studio with only a $7 million budget. There's no guarantee that another Star Trek TV series will make money. IRL the series actually lost a little money on NBC and put Desilu and later Paramount in the red when it was cancelled. ITTL Star Trek makes money for Paramount, but not so much that they wouldn't want a movie instead that looks like a guaranteed winner. IRL Paramount only made money off Star Trek in syndication, which it is doing ITTL as well.

Back then, TV series often had to run at least four or five years and be highly rated for their entire run for a profit to be made. That's hard compared to just making one movie over a few months that turns into a massive money-spinner for the studio. Movies make or break a studio and that's where the big $ is either made or lost at this point. Bluhdorn (correctly) sees that Roddenberry can't get the cast together for another live action series, so his best possibility at making money off another Star Trek is with a movie. He might propose some sort of children's program (a cartoon) to Roddenberry that could make a quick buck for the studio and is relatively risk free.

Last edited:
As for The Animated Series ITTL, Takei will be unavailable because he's a political figure, and Nichols will be unavailable for the first three episodes but then appear occasionally because she is on Broadway. Nichols will record her Uhura parts from New York for the duration of the series when she is available, so we only see Commander Uhura in about half the episodes. The rest of the cast will be in LA for most of the duration of the series. Sulu will be replaced by the three-armed alien instead of Chekov, who will appear and actually get a decent role, since there are only 5 regulars (Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan and Koenig). Barrett is a quasi-regular who will voice Chapel and the computer, as she did IRL. Larry Niven and DC Fontana will write a lot of the scripts, and it's far easier for them to do so for a half-hour cartoon.

Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley agree to do it because they see the potential for the cartoon to also be popular which would further guarantee a strong movie performance when they replay their roles on the big screen. NBC realizes Star Trek is popular with kids and promotes the animated series more than IRL, and Paramount puts their support behind the series because they do research that shows that children's viewing interests could drive a feature film just like adult viewing interests.

Last edited:
The other actress aside from Candice Bergen who I'm thinking about casting for Wrath of Khan as Carol Marcus is Dyan Cannon, but her salary demands would be pretty high and she would have a pretty solid career by 1981, when Wrath of Khan is filmed. I could improve her standing if she doesn't do Deathtrap and get razzied for it. Plus ITTL her daughter Jennifer (the daughter she had with Cary Grant) is a teenager by this point and a huge Trekker. I'm also not sure how the main cast would get along with Cannon though

Last edited:
EPISODE 15: DEVIL'S DUE, Written by William Douglas Lansford, directed by Marvin Chomsky. Air date: December 18, 1970. IRL this became an episode of TNG, but instead, it is broadcast in the Original Series with the TOS characters. The story largely follows what occurred in TNG, but with Kirk's crew instead of Picard's. The special effects are obviously toned down from what we see in TNG. Nielsen rating: 2nd to the CBS Friday Night Movie.
The original script proposal had the Devil be the collective negative energy of a people given form by some alien tech , but Next Gen changed it to a con woman.
Which version was done for season 5?

The original script proposal had the Devil be the collective negative energy of a people given form by some alien tech , but Next Gen changed it to a con woman.
Which version was done for season 5?
I'd say the original proposal.

I'm probably not going to write an update today. Migraine headaches aren't any fun

Chapter 75: September 1972
In a couple of days, we'll have an update solely devoted to the 1972 presidential election. Today, Shatner gets a new TV role, Muskie and Nixon continue campaigning against each other, and another Vietnam war update.

SHATNER TO PLAY BIONIC MAN IN NEW SERIES, OFFERS OPINIONS ON TREK

September 1, 1972

William Shatner has finally broken out of his Captain Kirk typecast. He will play another superhero, Steve Austin, in Harve Bennett's upcoming series, entitled The Six Million Dollar Man. Austin is an astronaut that is believed to be fatally injured in an accident, but turned into a cyborg as a means of saving his life. Bennett is planning to produce three television pilots with Shatner before the series is broadcast on a weekly basis. Shatner is extremely excited to no longer be Kirk. "I was desperately looking for another role, and Harve Bennett came in and saved the day for me," Shatner said. "Bennett had been considering Lee Majors, but chose me instead because of my experience playing physical roles, as Kirk. So I guess being Kirk worked out after all." Bennett said, "I only saw about ten episodes of Star Trek, but I knew how well William Shatner kept himself in shape. Many fans accused him of gaining weight during the Star Trek series, but Shatner is a physical fitness buff and karate practitioner, so his unique skillset is perfect for playing a bionic man with superhuman strength."

As for his Kirk character, Shatner would like to leave it behind, except for a movie or otherwise non-stressful role. "I'd love to play Captain Kirk again in a big movie where he is fighting the Klingons, for example," Shatner said. Shatner liked the James Blish novel Spock Must Die!, and believes that a Kirk-Klingon duel would be an interesting premise. "I believe that Kirk versus the Klingons would be a huge sell for the series, and have talked to Gene Roddenberry about the idea. Gene is not keen on it, though. I do not want to play another role as Kirk where he is squaring off against a god-like creature, because Roddenberry put me into too many of those positions in the series, and it is played out." Shatner also did not rule out playing Captain Kirk in some kind of cartoon series. "Star Trek was always very popular with children, and I wouldn't mind performing some voicework for such a cartoon, as long as the series is not completely turned into a children's show. I could see Star Trek as a cartoon that appeals to older children and adolescents, like our series did."

MUSKIE DEMANDS DEBATES WITH NIXON, WHO DECLINES

September 5, 1972

As the 1972 presidential campaign enters its final two months, Democratic challenger Edmund Muskie challenged President Nixon to two televised debates, similar to the famous debates of the 1960 campaign. Nixon, in a press conference, declined to debate, saying, "A debate is pointless. It will be two hours of Muskie and I talking past each other, and nobody will change their minds." Polling indicates that the President received a bump in his support after the Republican convention held in late August. A Gallup poll shows Nixon leading his Democratic rival 49% to 44%, with seven percent of the voters undecided. The Louis Harris poll determined that Nixon has reached the critical 50% mark in polling; he leads Senator Muskie 50% to 43%, with the same seven percent of voters unsure of their choice. President Nixon was boosted by improving fortunes in Vietnam, where the combined US Army-South Vietnamese forces have successfully pushed the North Vietnamese army largely out of the country, with battles currently raging in Quang Tri, the northernmost province in the South. Nixon was also boosted by a positive economic outlook, with Moody's Investors Service indicating that the economy is on strong footing, even after the Bretton Woods agreement, and that no recession is in sight for at least another year. Despite the fact that there is a great deal of controversy over the Watergate incident, which occurred in June, Democrats have been unable to fully capitalize on the matter and President Nixon has been able to distance himself from the events of the burglary.

US, SOUTH VIETNAMESE BESIEGE NORTH FORCES NEAR DONG HA

September 15, 1972

The United States Army and South Vietnamese ARVN have driven the North Vietnamese into a perilous situation near Dong Ha, one of the largest cities in Quang Tri province. American military planners believe that if the US Army can take Dong Ha, they can expel the North Vietnamese forces completely out of the South, and force peace talks to occur in Paris. National security adviser Henry Kissinger, in a press conference, said, "The North Vietnamese are on the verge of defeat. Their supply lines have been cut, and they are barely hanging on to a tiny sliver of territory in Quang Tri province. We expect to remove the Communist presence from the South by November." Kissinger also noted that South Vietnamese president Nguyen Cao Ky, under orders from the Nixon administration, has followed their plans to win over the non-Catholic Vietnamese population, who Ky enraged with his actions in 1966 and 1967. "Ky has learned that he cannot lead an effective government in Saigon without Buddhist buy-in," Kissinger said. "We cannot tolerate a South Vietnam without all religious and ethnic groups represented. We have learned that this has been a major problem in unifying South Vietnam under a coherent government, which did not occur under the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, and led to their failure in successfully prosecuting the war."

Last edited:
In Universe joke: Shatner as Steve Austin? Well being a programmed robot will explain. All. Those. Pauses....

Any changes in comics ITTL? Is the 70’s relaxation of the comics code still on schedule? The wave of Werewolf, Vampire etc horror books came from this.

Has Nixon changed the amount of reporters in Vietnam? Less news types and control the narrative, if raking being accused of censorship. More reporters and who knows what they turn up...

In Universe joke: Shatner as Steve Austin? Well being a programmed robot will explain. All. Those. Pauses....

Any changes in comics ITTL? Is the 70’s relaxation of the comics code still on schedule? The wave of Werewolf, Vampire etc horror books came from this.

Has Nixon changed the amount of reporters in Vietnam? Less news types and control the narrative, if raking being accused of censorship. More reporters and who knows what they turn up...
I'm creating the situation where Shatner will demand that Bennett produce the movies from the start. Shatner will trust Bennett a lot more than he trusts Roddenberry and will pull a power play with Paramount to install Bennett as the man in charge of Trek. Roddenberry will try to produce Battleground Earth (IRL known as Earth: Final Conflict) and Andromeda as a response to being largely kicked out of the Star Trek movies. However, he will be involved early in TNG before his health fails, which will occur earlier ITTL

Comics are largely the same.

Nixon's spin machine is running into overdrive. The situation in Vietnam is improving but it is nowhere near as rosy as Nixon's administration is saying, specifically with how the government in Saigon is approaching matters.

Last edited: