WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Scotty carrying a dead man to the Bridge never made any sense to me- Scott knows Kirk knows the consequences of Command why show him a body? Nephew or not? Also abandoning his post for an emotional outburst? Charges there Mister.

I would encourage you to shake up all the movies radically not just TMP, flap those butterfly wings. My reasoning is if TMP is not the film we got OTL then honestly the situation with Myers taking over, Roddenberry getting pushed out etc is not the same, that effects the movie. Also TWOK is not a perfect sacrosanct movie- good as it is.

Swapping Illia for Savvick at the start I think will just confuse viewers- who is this bald woman and why should we care? Then who is the Vulcan and why should we care - the simulator sequence is Savvik’s introduction and plays into the ‘no win’ themes of Kirk’s journey. Simply have Illa resign/suspend her Starfleet career at the end of TMP if you do not want to carry her forward.

If you want to show some consequences and continuity or the audience have Illa with Terrell on the Reliant and put her in Chekov’s position. Maybe she resigns after the trauma of Khan?

Scotty carrying a dead man to the Bridge never made any sense to me- Scott knows Kirk knows the consequences of Command why show him a body? Nephew or not? Also abandoning his post for an emotional outburst? Charges there Mister.

I would encourage you to shake up all the movies radically not just TMP, flap those butterfly wings. My reasoning is if TMP is not the film we got OTL then honestly the situation with Myers taking over, Roddenberry getting pushed out etc is not the same, that effects the movie. Also TWOK is not a perfect sacrosanct movie- good as it is.

Swapping Illia for Savvick at the start I think will just confuse viewers- who is this bald woman and why should we care? Then who is the Vulcan and why should we care - the simulator sequence is Savvik’s introduction and plays into the ‘no win’ themes of Kirk’s journey. Simply have Illa resign/suspend her Starfleet career at the end of TMP if you do not want to carry her forward.

If you want to show some consequences and continuity or the audience have Illa with Terrell on the Reliant and put her in Chekov’s position. Maybe she resigns after the trauma of Khan?
I think with my concept for TMP it's probably better for Ilia to leave at the end of TMP and then introduce Saavik like IRL. The Scott scene with his dead nephew is fantastic and I'm never removing that. It's one of Doohan's signature moments in the entire saga as his character. This TWOK includes the scene where Preston dies in sickbay, which is in the ABC 1985 cut of the movie and in the remastered editions. I actually want Scotty and Uhura to get involved a little more in the movies as a fourth and fifth quasi-lead, in a way, if I were to flap my butterfly wings. My plan is to change a little and be surgical, not overhaul the entire thing. I'm already doing that with TMP which is quite a bold move

Last edited:
The other thing I have to devise is some sort of instigating incident in the real world that causes the powers that be at Star Trek (Roddenberry, etc.) to devise a Federation-Klingon conflict for the first movie. Perhaps I can cook up a scenario where South Vietnam is still an independent country by 1977 and Southeast Asia doesn't completely go Communist due to an improved government plus US support a la South Korea, and the Soviets blink. Brezhnev is starting to get long in the tooth in 1977 or so (his health starts to decline in 1975) and Yuri Andropov wants power, so Andropov pulls a coup on Brezhnev because he considers Brezhnev to be feeble or something like that and he thinks detente isn't working. Andropov IRL was far more militant than the ailing late 1970s Brezhnev, and he tests NATO when he is in power earlier than IRL. Or I have Brezhnev die in 1977 (he could have died anytime between 1975 and 1982 because he was basically Weekend at Bernie's in the late 1970s).

The US sees the instability in Moscow and asks for more access to Berlin, and a very brief conflict occurs between NATO and the GDR that is akin to the Cuban Missile Crisis, but both sides pull back before they press the button. That could be an instigating geopolitical event (example: East Germans go rogue and start shooting into West Berlin over the wall, killing civilians, and the US/NATO responds by clearing the part of the wall where the shooting occurs).

So therefore I devise the solution to my TMP. Instead of the Federation and Klingons completely destroying each other (which in the Star Trek universe would be equivalent to a World War III), when the Federation has an advantage in the battle, Kirk offers Kor and Kang the opportunity to honorably retreat, and the remaining Klingon ship is spared destruction. It would be a contrast to Star Wars (the world is much more complicated than that IRL and we have to figure out a way to live with our enemies, being the theme)

Last edited:
Chapter 69: March and early April, 1972
A little late on the updates today, but I should get them in.

MUSKIE ROLLS IN NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY; MCGOVERN A DISTANT SECOND

March 8, 1972

Maine senator Edmund Muskie, the vice presidential nominee for the Democrats in 1968, established himself as the clear frontrunner with a decisive win in the New Hampshire first in the nation primary. Muskie won 63% of the vote, with South Dakota senator George McGovern finishing in a distant second with 22%. 1968 Democratic nominee Hubert Humphrey, still in contention for the nomination, did not participate in the primary. With victories in the Iowa and Arizona caucuses, Muskie is building a lock on the nomination, and is considered to have a chance even in Southern states, where Alabama governor George Wallace was expected to run strong. "This is a fantastic victory for my campaign," Muskie said in his victory speech. "We will advance from here, consolidate our support within the party, and bring the Democrats united to the convention in July." Senator McGovern, in a concession speech, said, "We will continue on even though we have lost in Iowa and New Hampshire. Illinois and Wisconsin are critical to our campaign, and we must perform well for this campaign to remain alive."

ITTL, Muskie will win both Illinois and Wisconsin, causing McGovern to end his campaign, and narrowing the race to a three-way battle between himself, Hubert Humphrey, and George Wallace.

SECOND BOMBING CAMPAIGN COMMENCES AGAINST NORTH VIETNAM; KISSINGER IN UNCERTAIN MOOD

March 12, 1972

The Nixon Administration has begun a second bombing campaign, called Operation Linebacker II, against Hanoi and other strategic targets in North Vietnam. President Nixon has withdrawn 50,000 troops from the theatre in Southeast Asia, leaving 350,000 in combat. 275,000 of those troops are in South Vietnam, and the remaining force is in Cambodia. Nixon national security adviser Henry Kissinger disagreed with the decision by the Nixon administration to withdraw troops, because he believes it removes leverage against Hanoi required to return the North Vietnamese government to peace talks. However, Kissinger was pleased with the results of Operation Linebacker. "We have largely slowed the flow of North Vietnamese supplies with the air campaign," Kissinger said. "This will hopefully buy us time to further train the ARVN to establish themselves as the primary fighting force in the South." Kissinger was displeased by the Supreme Court decision declaring the congressional move to limit Nixon's war powers as constitutional. "We believe that the Supreme Court erred in its decision, but they are the highest court in the nation, and we will follow their ruling," Kissinger said. "Therefore, the policy of Vietnamization, which President Nixon initially pursued, is forced upon us because we cannot advance a declaration of war in this Congress, which the high court required us to do to keep on acting unilaterally in the Southeast Asian theatre. It will be down to the effectiveness of the ARVN and the Ky government in the long term to ensure that South Vietnam remains independent."

NICHOLS TO RETURN TO BROADWAY

March 18, 1972

After a largely unsuccessful pursuit of major movie and television roles, Nichelle Nichols is reviving her interest in musical theatre by moving to New York. She has acquired a minor role in Grease and will renew her stage career in April. Nichols told Variety, "Even though Martin Luther King told me to remain on Star Trek, my first love was always musical theatre, and I was always an accomplished singer. I hope to make it big on Broadway and maybe land a starring role in a production soon." Nichols is also considering signing on with a record label and releasing an album, after her successful collaboration with Isaac Hayes on the Grammy and Academy Award winning Shaft album. She said that "my singing is extremely underrated and I hope to branch into that soon. I'm leaving Commander Uhura behind for a while, because I don't think there will be any Star Trek made for.a while, perhaps ever."

DEFOREST KELLEY TO CO-STAR IN COLUMBO

April 2, 1972

DeForest Kelley, largely quiet on the acting front outside of his Star Trek appearances as Dr. McCoy, has landed a role as Captain Smith on Peter Falk's Columbo. Falk was always a fan of Kelley's, and discussed the role of Kelley being Lieutenant Columbo's boss, who will periodically appear in the NBC TV movies to discuss the murder cases the titular character is pursuing. Kelley said, "It's an honor to work with Peter Falk, who is an amazingly talented actor. I hope to contribute positively to Columbo and make it an even better series of TV movies." Falk said, "Dee Kelley is perfect as a cantankerous cop who plays Columbo's mentor. His acerbic wit and dramatic mood are a perfect contrast to my character, and our scenes together will be fantastic television. I am eager to add him to the Columbo team." Falk also did not rule out dramatic roles for William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, Kelley's Star Trek colleagues. "Bill and Leonard are fantastic actors, and if they ever want to guest star as a villain, we have roles that are perfect for them," Falk commented.

Last edited:
Chapter 70: Leonard Nimoy recollects the 1972 Academy Awards
2f6b3e4ad545a5403d2d3b33c0b9fdba.jpg
download.jpg

Leonard Nimoy:

When I woke up that morning, the morning of April 10, I never believed what would happen in the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion later that evening actually occurred. I remember taking Sandra, Julie and Adam to breakfast that morning. Sandra wanted Julie to drive us, but I told her in a deadpan way that I didn't want Julie to kill all of us on the big day, where I would be in contention for Best Supporting Actor. So we ate breakfast, and Adam said, "I think you're going to win, Dad. You're bringing home an Oscar tonight." Then Julie stepped in and said, "No way, they are never going to give Dad an Oscar. Hollywood only thinks of our dad as a guy with pointy ears or someone who wears fancy disguises. The Oscars would never allow someone who played a space alien to win one of their awards. They are too stuck in the mud." My wife then said to Julie, "I hope your father wins, but I think he's going to have a difficult time against Ben Johnson in the Last Picture Show. He won the Golden Globe, and usually the actor who wins the Golden Globe goes on to win the Academy Award." So I had my wife and daughter downplaying my chances, and my son hoping against hope that I would bring home the famous statue.

That night, I got into my tuxedo, Sandra and Julie got into their dresses, and Adam got into his suit. Sandra didn't mind wearing fancy clothing, but my children hated dressing up. Julie was in a very teenager sort of mood. "Do I have to go with you tonight, Dad? I want to hang out with my friends. I'll cry when you don't win, and I don't want anybody on national television to see me crying." Adam then nudged Julie and said, "You're going to be crying for a different reason because Dad is going to win. I truly believe it. Our dad is the best actor in the world." Sandra ensured that our rebellious teenagers got in their best clothing and we were chauffeured to the Chandler Pavilion for the evening's festivities.

I never believed I had a chance to win until the presenters for Best Supporting Actor appeared on stage. Sally Kellerman, famous for being Hot Lips Houlihan in the MASH movie, was a colleague of mine on the second Star Trek pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before. We always maintained contact because Sally was such a wonderful lady. Richard Harris, the co-presenter with Sally, was famous for playing King Arthur in Camelot a few years earlier. When they announced my name and the other actors as the nominees, I was completely ready for Harris to declare that the Academy Award was won by Ben Johnson. But when Harris opened the envelope, Sally Kellerman let out a scream and said, "Oh My God, it's Leonard Nimoy for Fiddler on the Roof!"

Sally was crying tears of joy, knowing how difficult my road in Hollywood was to that point, and my family gave me the biggest hug I think I've ever received. Adam told Julie, "I told you so, big sis." Sandra held onto me for a good 30 seconds, saying, "I'm so proud, Lenny, I'm so proud of you!" And then I finally made it to the stage. Richard Harris was pretty unemotional and reserved, but Sally gave me another big hug and whispered in my ear, "Mr. Spock has an Oscar now." I then made a speech off the cuff, because I never expected to win. I teared up, which is definitely atypical of me, considering who I played on television, thanking my wife and kids for being the support system that saved my life. The crowd gave me a huge ovation, because they never expected me to cry. I was Spock for all those years on television! I thanked Chaim Topol, who graciously accepted me on the Fiddler on the Roof cast, and Norman Jewison, who had second thoughts casting me before I proved myself to him. I also thanked Gene Roddenberry and my fellow actors on Star Trek, who aided my rise to the top of the acting profession, and Martin Landau, Barbara Bain, and the Mission: Impossible cast, who also became close acquaintances.

When I left the stage, I was greeted both by my family, still crying tears of joy, and my former cast mates on Star Trek. There were lots of hugs that night. It was Nichelle's last night before she was to travel to Broadway, and she said, "Star Trek now has an Academy Award winner. It is completely unbelievable." Even Bill Shatner was outwardly pleased for me, and invited me to his apartment for some post-award celebrations. I had to politely decline him though, because this award was for my family, and I was emotionally spent. Before the night ended, Cary Grant ran into me and congratulated me for the award. He told me that "you'll never have to put those ears on again." Although Cary was usually right on all matters Hollywood, he turned out to be wrong on that one.

A couple of days after the win, DeForest Kelley invited me to lunch in a Los Angeles cafe. Over coffee, Dee started a conversation that proved to be important for the rest of my life. Dee Kelley will always be a forever friend, and he always looked out for everyone else on the Star Trek cast as the senior member of the crew in terms of age, along with Jimmy Doohan. Kelley said, "Hollywood fame is fleeting. Only accept roles that you want to do, not roles that Hollywood expects you to do. Personal disaster could happen if you forget about your family and place the career above all else." I listened, hoping that Dee would be wrong, but in my heart I knew he was right. "You saw what happened to Bill. He placed his career above his marriage and his wife took him to the cleaners in the divorce. You almost had the same thing happen to you a couple of years ago. Place your family above your ego, and the acting roles will still be there, plus you'll enjoy the acting far more than you would otherwise." I told Dee that Cary Grant said I'd never have to play Spock again, and Dee said, "Perhaps that is true. But don't go Cary's route. He's world famous but he's gone through four divorces. You have a good family life, a lovely wife and two wonderful children. They must always come first, Len." I remembered my close brush with fate two years ago when work overwhelmed me and I ended up in the hospital, and I told Dee, "You're right. I have little else left to prove." Dee then said, "If you end up in a movie that bombs with you as the lead, your career will be damaged." So despite the Academy Award win, I decided to be more selective in my film and television work. Dee Kelley, who only had one wife for 54 years, ensured that I remained on the correct path, unlike a lot of other Hollywood stars with their drama.

Last edited:
Wise words from Kelly there.

Congratz Mr Nimoy- breaking out from Spock is going to be great for getting new roles. Enjoy!
I have to cook up some roles for Nimoy. Maybe he gets to be the senator in Godfather II? Maybe that big Star Trek fan George Lucas gets him to play Tarkin instead of Peter Cushing? Nimoy didn't mind playing heavies. He was a pretty sadistic Columbo villain as a guest star. ITTL a possible good role for Nimoy is in the 1975 movie Dog Day Afternoon. He would play FBI agent Sheldon instead of James Broderick. Nimoy decides to take more supporting roles in movies instead of being a lead, to ensure Hollywood's excesses don't get to him. He becomes one of the best "second leads" keeping in the tradition of Spock as the second lead on Star Trek. He's still the guy with the pointy ears in some circles despite the Best Supporting Actor win ITTL so it's difficult for him to actually be a lead like an Al Pacino or a Dustin Hoffman in this era...

Another side effect of this is Nimoy might go on to direct more films after he finishes playing Spock in the movies. He directed Three Men and a Baby and Hollywood acclaimed him as a good director of comedies (Star Trek IV was also somewhat of a comedy)

Last edited:
A very slick timeline! I've been out of the loop for a while, but I've caught up.

Also a very very slight addendum suggestion to Star Wars since it's going on as usual, more or less: Ian McDiarmid is Palpatine from the start. And none of the bad chimpanzee face transplant SFX, just good old Ian in ROTJ make up.

PS. Is George in this timeline more inclined to release the original unaltered trilogy after the SE controversy? Not right away, but I can see a Criterion Collection deluxe boxset for the 40th anniversary, assuming Disney doesn't nab the franchise at all or it allows Criterion to do so.

A very slick timeline! I've been out of the loop for a while, but I've caught up.

Also a very very slight addendum suggestion to Star Wars since it's going on as usual, more or less: Ian McDiarmid is Palpatine from the start. And none of the bad chimpanzee face transplant SFX, just good old Ian in ROTJ make up.

PS. Is George in this timeline more inclined to release the original unaltered trilogy after the SE controversy? Not right away, but I can see a Criterion Collection deluxe boxset for the 40th anniversary, assuming Disney doesn't nab the franchise at all or it allows Criterion to do so.
Why thank you! I have to meticulously research all the parts, not just the Star Trek material, to make it flow in a plausible manner historically. I agree on the Emperor. Ian McDiarmid in Palpatine makeup is best.

The P.S. is pretty far down the track, and my inclination is not to change it much. Please fill me in on the SE controversy (don't abbreviate it) so I can become more informed of what to do with it, or it's possible I'll know what it is right away without the abbreviation

Ah. By "SE controversy" I mean the Special Editions. George Lucas refuses to release the original versions of the trilogy, even to this day. Which is why all we get in every new home release, we have Han shooting second, CGI Sy Sootles in ROTJ, and out of place CGI Jabba the Hutt in New Hope.

Chapter 71: April 1972 and a very important invention
MARTY-FIRST-CALL-640X960.jpg

Shorter update for tonight:

RODDENBERRY MULLING NEW STAR TREK SERIES WITH SELLECK AS LEAD

April 16, 1972

Gene Roddenberry, having lost William Shatner to other endeavors, Leonard Nimoy to movie fame, DeForest Kelley to Columbo, and Nichelle Nichols to Broadway, is considering a new Star Trek pitch to NBC, with Tom Selleck replacing Shatner in the starring role. Roddenberry believes that Selleck is a strong draw to television viewers, especially a female audience that is attracted by his above-average looks. "I think that Tom can be the captain of the Enterprise and be just as successful as Bill Shatner was," Roddenberry said. "Tom has the charm and charisma to lead his own series, and he portrayed the youthful, dashing Decker extremely well in the last half of the last season." Selleck is looking beyond Star Trek to other roles, and considers the matter of the science fiction series closed, unless it reappears on the big screen in the future. "Mr. Selleck appreciates Mr. Roddenberry's decision to cast him in the Star Trek series, and it allowed my client to achieve a greater amount of fame that he can utilize for other television series and perhaps a movie career," Selleck's agent told the Reporter. So it appears that Roddenberry's chances to achieve liftoff with a new Star Trek series are unlikely at this time, when reading the tea leaves.

NOBODY WANTS SHATNER IN A MAJOR MOVIE ROLE

April 19, 1972

William Shatner isn't very busy these days, or at least not busy in the way he would like to be. Aside from a few guest roles in Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O, Marcus Welby, M.D., and the TV movie Hound of the Baskervilles, no major Hollywood director is knocking on the former Captain Kirk's door to star in a major movie. "I feel it's very disappointing that Hollywood is looking me over," Shatner said. "I like my guest roles, including the time I got to team up with Leonard Nimoy again, but I'm not being appropriately considered for a star of my stature." Shatner wanted a starring role in The Poseidon Adventure, because he felt like he was qualified to play another captain, but was passed over for Leslie Nielsen. He was also interested in appearing as Liza Minnelli's love interest in Cabaret, but Cabaret director Bob Fosse preferred Michael York in the role. Shatner's most notable appearance in any medium in 1972 was in the Star Trek TV movie "In Thy Image." "I'm a little frustrated," Shatner said. "I'd like to escape Captain Kirk once and for all and take my place up there in big films, but nothing is happening right now. I wonder if all anyone will remember me for is Kirk."

MUSKIE WINS PENNSYLVANIA PRIMARY, HUMPHREY ENDS CAMPAIGN

April 26, 1972

Edmund Muskie continued to establish himself as the frontrunner in the Democratic primary, defeating his former running mate on the top of the last Democratic ticket, Hubert Humphrey, Alabama governor George Wallace, and South Dakota senator George McGovern in the pivotal Pennsylvania primary. Muskie garnered 37% of the vote, with Wallace finishing a strong second at 28%. Humphrey, who determined that Pennsylvania was make-or-break for him, finished third in the Keystone State with 20%, with McGovern struggling at 14% in the rear. Fearing a Wallace win in July, Humphrey dropped out of the presidential race after his third-place finish to endorse Muskie. "Unfortunately, the result in Pennsylvania means that I cannot continue as a candidate for President," Humphrey said in front of a crowd of sad supporters. "I wholeheartedly endorse my good friend from Maine, Mr. Muskie, as the candidate to lead our party into the fall campaign." Wallace saw the second place finish as an avenue for him to lock down the South and possibly win Ohio, holding its primary next week. "Our campaign to bring the Democratic Party back to its roots is working," Wallace said to his audience. George McGovern, despite seeing the handwriting on the wall, will attempt to soldier on. "I will not leave this campaign until I am out of money," McGovern said. "The ideals of this campaign are far too important." Muskie, who looks better than even odds to face President Nixon in November, told his supporters that "the win tonight was the most important of my campaign. If I can win in Ohio next week, I believe I will surely be our party's nominee."

MARTIN COOPER INVENTS PORTABLE TELEPHONE

May 1972 edition

Motorola engineer Martin Cooper has devised a gadget right out of Star Trek or Dick Tracy: a portable telephone. Cooper presented his invention with his mentor, John Francis Mitchell, at a press conference in New York. The portable telephone, which weighs approximately four pounds, possesses keys to dial telephone numbers instead of the traditional rotary method used in telephones connected by cord. "This is one of the most important inventions of our time," Cooper said. "I saw Captain Kirk's communicator and Dick Tracy's watch, and wanted to make those parts of fiction real, and we accomplished that." Cooper believes that over the years, the large, relatively clunky cellular phone can be shrunk down to the size of that famous flip communicator from Trek. "With advances in microchip technology, I believe that we can make this relatively large portable phone significantly smaller, and much easier for the everyday person to carry around in their pockets," Cooper said. "We could also design smaller versions of paging devices, which were invented by Bell Communications a decade ago." Mitchell then interjected, "I should know. I was part of designing the Bellboy paging system."

Last edited:
Chapter 72: May 1972
Not a lot of Trek in this update, but we move towards the 1972 election. We get Nixon vs. Muskie, another Vietnam update, and George Takei entering politics.
download.jpg

MUSKIE EDGES WALLACE IN CRITICAL OHIO PRIMARY

May 3, 1972

Edmund Muskie all but sealed the Democratic nomination last night in Ohio with a very close victory over Alabama governor George Wallace. Muskie won 41% of the vote, with Wallace in second at 37%. George McGovern, who struggled all campaign to gain momentum, dropped out of the race after his 12% showing, as did Eugene McCarthy, who finished with 5%. Senator Muskie proclaimed himself as the eventual Democratic nominee, calling for unity, which he said was a "necessary development for our party in order to defeat President Nixon in November." Muskie continued, "I am proud of our Democratic Party, its voters and its positions, and will be an able torch-bearer for the party moving forward." Wallace refused to exit the campaign, arguing that "the South is still the heartland of the Democratic Party. Any Democrat that cannot win the South cannot win election, and Muskie cannot win in the South." McGovern finally called it quits, with some of his supporters crying as he dropped out of the race. "We carried our ideals as far as we possibly could. I see no perfect option of the remaining choices, but I can never endorse Wallace, so my support is reluctantly thrown to my good friend Senator Muskie." Eugene McCarthy also chose to leave the race, but did not choose a candidate to endorse.

No significant change occurs to Wallace ITTL politically. Arthur Bremer still attempts the assassination, and Wallace is wounded, although not as badly as he was IRL. He still fails to win the 1972 Democratic nomination and mulls a third party run again, but declines.

US ARMY, SOUTH VIETNAMESE DRIVE NORTH VIETNAMESE FORCES FROM HUE, BACK TOWARDS BORDER

May 15, 1972

American troops and the South Vietnamese ARVN have forced the North Vietnamese army out of Hue and Thua Thien Province, after almost a year of fighting near the 17th parallel. North Vietnamese forces were running low on supplies after almost a year of incessant bombing from US Air Force B-52s, in Operation Linebacker I and II. Nixon press secretary Ron Ziegler hailed the achievement in a press conference, telling the White House Press Corps that "the North Vietnamese are finally on the run. There is minimal North Vietnamese troop presence anywhere in the South except for Quang Tri province, and we intend to completely push Hanoi's army out of South Vietnam." Nixon national security adviser Henry Kissinger also applauded American efforts. Kissinger said, "Our bombing campaigns have finally borne fruit. Once we eject the North Vietnamese completely from the country, we will bring Le Duc Tho back to Paris for a final settlement, and the future of South Vietnam will be secure." Kissinger, previously a skeptic of the ARVN and its readiness as an army, was also content with their progress. "Nguyen Cao Ky is the most cooperative leader we have found in Saigon since the start of this long conflict," Kissinger said. "He has full loyalty of the Army, is bringing the Buddhists back into the conversation in the government, and is urging well-needed reforms in Saigon."

TAKEI TO RUN FOR LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL SEAT NEXT YEAR

May 22, 1972

George Takei is considering leaving acting and entering politics. Takei, a noted Democratic Party activist, is eyeing the 1973 Los Angeles City Council elections, where he will attempt to win a seat. Takei said, "I have been politically inclined from a very young age. Ever since my family was placed in the internment camps when I was a child, I always felt the sense of injustice that oppressed peoples in this country had. I intend to be a voice for the oppressed and the marginalized." Takei is also a proponent of greater rights for gay and lesbian Americans, a very unusual position. "Why shouldn't gay and lesbian couples marry just like everyone else?" Takei said. "I believe that love is love, and any two consenting adults who wish to get married should be given that right. I don't think that is a Democratic position or a Republican position, but a libertarian stance, and a correct one, despite the fact I know it is unpopular with the American people and Angelenos at this point in time."

Last edited:
Go whichever political candidate will give the most money to NASA for space exploration. We need Moon and Mars bases dammit!

Win Takei win!

ITTL, a possible alteration to TWOK will be Carol Marcus. Instead of Bibi Besch, the movie has a lot bigger budget due to greater success of TMP and they can get renowned Trekker Candice Bergen (she went to conventions in the 1970s IRL) to play Carol (something I've been toying with as well). Would be interested in the feedback on this casting

Don't see why not, but how will this affect Gandhi? I loved her in that one, and that was also an '82 release.
Gandhi was filmed between November 1980 and May 1981. TWOK was filmed from November 1981 to January 1982. So if I have TWOK released at the same time ITTL or even a little earlier, it's possible for her to do both

Last edited:
Dee Kelley tries to go back to making Westerns but the genre's popularity begins to fade and he runs into trouble finding work, but eventually lands a recurring role on Columbo as a cantankerous detective working alongside Peter Falk's titular character.
Does Kelly do the Classic a "Night of the Lupus"?