WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Star Trek V suffered from: Shatner ignoring Roddenberry's advise not to do a God plot; Shatner not waiting for the writers strike to be over so the script had more go overs; Paramount not waiting until ILM where available to do the SFX; the movie coming out against several blockbusters; A quite weak script that noticeable falls apart in the second half; and running out of SFX money!

Pretty much all of this is likely to be avoided ITTL.

Star Trek V suffered from: Shatner ignoring Roddenberry's advise not to do a God plot; Shatner not waiting for the writers strike to be over so the script had more go overs; Paramount not waiting until ILM where available to do the SFX; the movie coming out against several blockbusters; A quite weak script that noticeable falls apart in the second half; and running out of SFX money!

Pretty much all of this is likely to be avoided ITTL.
Roddenberry did so many God and God-like plots in TOS that it basically turned into overkill way back then.

ITTL the script will be written before the writers strike (will probably be done at the start of 1988) because it’s just a modification of Spock’s World

Roddenberry did so many God and God-like plots in TOS that it basically turned into overkill way back then.
Definitely one of my major gripes about TOS. In TNG they had Q but at least he had a long-lasting commanding presence and some very good stories behind him.

Definitely one of my major gripes about TOS. In TNG they had Q but at least he had a long-lasting commanding presence and some very good stories behind him.
And he actually might be God (going by Tapestry) so he's justified in his power. He also isn't actually evil which puts him far ahead of all the TOS ones (everything he does is trickster mentor and even the losses at J-25 and indirectly Wolf 359 were only a result do Q warning Picard about a threat already on its way).

Of course V does have, "Why would God need a spaceship," but one one liner doesn't make up for all the rest of it.

Chapter 227: Summer 1987 (June and July)
I decided to combine June and July into one update instead of two because there is no new Star Trek on TV as we're between Intelligence wrapping up its run and TNG starting in September.

R.jpg

DIANE DUANE'S SPOCK'S WORLD REACHES #1 ON NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER LIST

Diane Duane is one of the premier Star Trek writers and she earned another feather in her cap. Her new novel, Spock's World, hit the number one spot on the New York Times bestseller list upon its release on June 1. Spock's World is an exploration of Vulcan history wrapped into a thriller where Spock's former betrothed, T'Pring, leads a secessionist movement on Vulcan. The Federation is thrown into chaos due to the shock announcement that Vulcan is considering leaving, and the Enterprise crew is sent to Spock's homeworld to convince the High Council and the Vulcan populace to remain. The clamoring has already begun for Spock's World to become the fifth installment in the original cast movie series. "I think Diane Duane is the best Star Trek writer there is, even better than Nicholas Meyer and David Gerrold," a fan from Staten Island who did not want to be identified said. "I have all of her novels and they are terrific, especially her Vulcan and Romulan stories. This is the best novel she's written and it should be made into a feature film."

Gene Roddenberry will produce and direct the fifth film and rumors are circulating that he is a big fan of the novel. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy also read the novel and are fans of Duane's work. "Spock's World is a fantastic novel and some of it can be adapted into a movie," Shatner said. "I believe it will be difficult though, and Diane might have to cut out a lot of the fascinating material about Vulcan history, but it's a terrific plot and I endorse it to be our fifth movie as a cast." Nimoy concurred with Shatner, but his opinion differed slightly from his co-star. "I think we can add some of the Vulcan history in the novel. Surak is a very important character and without him, the audience will not have a full context of why the main plot about Vulcan secession from the Federation is occurring. T'Pring believes that the only logical path for Vulcan is secession because the Federation, led by humans, has conducted itself in less than peaceful and logical ways."

R.jpg
R.jpg

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE NOMINATED FOR SIX EMMYS IN ITS FINAL SEASON

Starfleet Intelligence looks like it is going to go out with a bang. The highly acclaimed science fiction series was nominated for 6 Emmy Awards; five in the major acting, writing and directing categories. The series itself was nominated for Outstanding Drama series. Nichelle Nichols, already a two-time Emmy winner, was nominated again for a Best Actress in a Drama Series nod for the series finale, "The Final Act." Previously unknown S. Epatha Merkerson was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress in a Drama series in the same episode. Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, received nominations for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series and Outstanding Directing in a Writing Series. Intelligence also received a nomination in Cinematography for a Series.

Here are the relevant categories to watch for the 39th Emmy Awards, to be held on September 20, 1987.

Outstanding Drama Series
Starfleet Intelligence (Paramount)

L.A. Law (NBC)
Cagney and Lacey (CBS)
Murder, She Wrote (CBS)
St. Elsewhere (NBC)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Nichelle Nichols, Starfleet Intelligence, "The Final Act, Part I" (Paramount)

Sharon Gless, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn" (CBS)
Susan Dey, L.A. Law (NBC)
Angela Lansbury, Murder, She Wrote (CBS)
Jill Eikenberry, L.A. Law (NBC)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

S. Epatha Merkerson, Starfleet Intelligence, "The Final Act, Part I" (Paramount)
Bonnie Bartlett, St. Elsewhere, "Last Dance at the Wrecker's Ball" (NBC)
Allyce Beasley, Moonlighting (ABC)
Susan Ruttan, L.A. Law (NBC)
Betty Thomas, Hill Street Blues (NBC)

Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series

Nick Meyer, Starfleet Intelligence, "The Final Act, Part I" (Paramount)
Sharron Miller, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn, Part II" (CBS)
Gregory Hoblit, L.A. Law, "Pilot" (NBC)
Donald Petrie, L.A. Law, "The Venus Butterfly (NBC)
Allan Arkush, Moonlighting, "I Am Curious...Maddie" (ABC)

Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series

Steven Bochco and Terry Louise Fisher, L.A. Law, "The Venus Butterfly" (NBC)
Georgia Jeffries, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn" (CBS)
Jeff Lewis, David Milch and John Romano, Hill Street Blues, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" (NBC)
Jeff Reno and John Osborn, Moonlighting, "Atomic Shakespeare" (ABC)
Tom Fontana, John Tinker and John Masius, St. Elsewhere, "Afterlife" (NBC)

Outstanding Cinematography for a Series
Edward R. Brown, Starfleet Intelligence, "Blue and Gray" (Paramount)

Woody Omens, Heart of the City (ABC)

R.jpg

DUCKTALES MOVIE PRODUCES MIDDLING RETURNS AT BOX OFFICE
KATZENBERG DISPLEASED

Although Ducktales proved to be a phenomenon on television, its movie debut proved less than phenomenal. Released on June 5 with a $35 million budget, Ducktales only recently made its money back on the July 4 weekend, grossing $70 million with about two weeks to run before it exits theaters. Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of Disney, was displeased with the returns. "Katzenberg was surprised that the audience did not react as positively as he thought. The poor word of mouth regarding the film cost Ducktales about $40 million extra at the gate." Although the writers believed that the plot was strong, children between eight and twelve years of age thought it was juvenile and directed at preschoolers, causing the bad word of mouth. "This is the first time we can recall young children of elementary school age give a thumbs down to a Disney movie that everyone, including Katzenberg, thought would be a smashing success," a Disney insider said. Disney did research regarding the Ducktales flop in late June and determined that the entire concept was not suitable for a great movie because the cartoon was not directed towards older elementary school children, who wanted a more mature plot. Katzenberg believes that there was no strong female character; the research also showed that girls did not like the movie as much as boys did. "Katzenberg believes Disney will cash in if they center their future movies around a strong female character, especially a princess-like figure. He wanted that for Ducktales but the writers didn't think it would work," the source said.

R.jpg

BOB DOLE LAUNCHES PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
GALLUP POLL FINDS DOLE, GLENN IN DEAD HEAT; GLENN LEADS OTHER REPUBLICANS

Robert Dole, the longtime Republican senator from Kansas and the frontrunner for the Republican nomination, launched his presidential campaign on July 30, 1987. In his hometown, tiny Russell, Kansas, Dole smiled for virtually his entire speech, a rarity for the usually serious senator. "We are in a fight for America's future," Dole said. "Do we want a future of dependency on the federal government, or dependency on our own talents and gifts? "President Glenn believes that the American people should be dependent on the government. I believe in the opposite; our talents will always guide us through. It wasn't the federal government that led us to breaking up the Warsaw Pact. It was American ingenuity that allowed us to achieve more than the Soviet Union." Dole's other major campaign point against Glenn centered on the urban renewal bill that caused a lot of hackles in Congress, especially among his own party. "President Glenn turned his back on suburban Americans and us rural folk by promoting the needs of Americans in the cities," Dole said. "We deserve the same treatment, and the city folk are the only people thriving. I think President Glenn forgot where his roots were, in the countryside."

Vice President Bentsen immediately attacked Dole after the speech. "Bob Dole doesn't care a lick for Americans who don't look like him, speak like him, or live in the same type of environment as him," Bentsen fired back. "Even though President Glenn and I grew up in humble beginnings in the countryside, just like my old friend from Kansas, we are leaders for every American. Senator Dole is trying to divide Americans, while President Glenn always seeks to unite the country." Despite the sharp criticism, Dole is in the strongest position against Glenn in a potential general election. The President clocked in with a 46 percent approval rating; he and Dole are deadlocked at 45 percent in the polls, with 10 percent undecided. Glenn leads the other Republican candidates. He is ahead of former CIA director George H.W. Bush by 7 points, 49 percent to 42 percent; he leads Tennessee senator Howard Baker by 8 points, 50 percent to 42 percent, and Virginia evangelist Pat Robertson by 11 points, 52 percent to 41 percent. "Glenn is in a strong position to win reelection, unless he faces Senator Dole," the famous pollster Louis Harris said. "Republicans have to consider electability when it comes to their candidates. If they don't, Glenn will win reelection without breaking much of a sweat next year."

Last edited:
I decided to combine June and July into one update instead of two because there is no new Star Trek on TV as we're between Intelligence wrapping up its run and TNG starting in September.

View attachment 835925

Diane Duane is one of the premier Star Trek writers and she earned another feather in her cap. Her new novel, Spock's World, hit the number one spot on the New York Times bestseller list upon its release on June 1. Spock's World is an exploration of Vulcan history wrapped into a thriller where Spock's former betrothed, T'Pring, leads a secessionist movement on Vulcan. The Federation is thrown into chaos due to the shock announcement that Vulcan is considering leaving, and the Enterprise crew is sent to Spock's homeworld to convince the High Council and the Vulcan populace to remain. The clamoring has already begun for Spock's World to become the fifth installment in the original cast movie series. "I think Diane Duane is the best Star Trek writer there is, even better than Nicholas Meyer and David Gerrold," a fan from Staten Island who did not want to be identified said. "I have all of her novels and they are terrific, especially her Vulcan and Romulan stories. This is the best novel she's written and it should be made into a feature film."

Gene Roddenberry will produce and direct the fifth film and rumors are circulating that he is a big fan of the novel. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy also read the novel and are fans of Duane's work. "Spock's World is a fantastic novel and some of it can be adapted into a movie," Shatner said. "I believe it will be difficult though, and Diane might have to cut out a lot of the fascinating material about Vulcan history, but it's a terrific plot and I endorse it to be our fifth movie as a cast." Nimoy concurred with Shatner, but his opinion differed slightly from his co-star. "I think we can add some of the Vulcan history in the novel. Surak is a very important character and without him, the audience will not have a full context of why the main plot about Vulcan secession from the Federation is occurring. T'Pring believes that the only logical path for Vulcan is secession because the Federation, led by humans, has conducted itself in less than peaceful and logical ways."
I wouldn't be against Spock's World as a feature film. Just fix the title so it doesn't sound like the backdoor pilot for a TV show.

Now, an educational series made by Walt Disney Television? That could use the Spock's World name as is and still work.
View attachment 835930View attachment 835932

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE NOMINATED FOR SIX EMMYS IN ITS FINAL SEASON

Starfleet Intelligence looks like it is going to go out with a bang. The highly acclaimed science fiction series was nominated for 6 Emmy Awards; five in the major acting, writing and directing categories. The series itself was nominated for Outstanding Drama series. Nichelle Nichols, already a two-time Emmy winner, was nominated again for a Best Actress in a Drama Series nod for the series finale, "The Final Act." Previously unknown S. Epatha Merkerson was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress in a Drama series in the same episode. Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, received nominations for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series and Outstanding Directing in a Writing Series. Intelligence also received a nomination in Cinematography for a Series.

Here are the relevant categories to watch for the 39th Emmy Awards, to be held on September 20, 1987.

Outstanding Drama Series
Starfleet Intelligence (Paramount)

L.A. Law (NBC)
Cagney and Lacey (CBS)
Murder, She Wrote (CBS)
St. Elsewhere (NBC)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Nichelle Nichols, Starfleet Intelligence, "The Final Act, Part I" (Paramount)

Sharon Gless, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn" (CBS)
Susan Dey, L.A. Law (NBC)
Angela Lansbury, Murder, She Wrote (CBS)
Jill Eikenberry, L.A. Law (NBC)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

S. Epatha Merkerson, Starfleet Intelligence, "The Final Act, Part I" (Paramount)
Bonnie Bartlett, St. Elsewhere, "Last Dance at the Wrecker's Ball" (NBC)
Allyce Beasley, Moonlighting (ABC)
Susan Ruttan, L.A. Law (NBC)
Betty Thomas, Hill Street Blues (NBC)

Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series

Sharron Miller, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn, Part II" (CBS)
Gregory Hoblit, L.A. Law, "Pilot" (NBC)
Donald Petrie, L.A. Law, "The Venus Butterfly (NBC)
Allan Arkush, Moonlighting, "I Am Curious...Maddie" (ABC)

Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series

Steven Bochco and Terry Louise Fisher, L.A. Law, "The Venus Butterfly" (NBC)
Georgia Jeffries, Cagney and Lacey, "Turn, Turn, Turn" (CBS)
Jeff Lewis, David Milch and John Romano, Hill Street Blues, "It Ain't Over Till It's Over" (NBC)
Jeff Reno and John Osborn, Moonlighting, "Atomic Shakespeare" (ABC)
Tom Fontana, John Tinker and John Masius, St. Elsewhere, "Afterlife" (NBC)

Outstanding Cinematography for a Series
Edward R. Brown, Starfleet Intelligence, "Blue and Gray" (Paramount)

Woody Omens, Heart of the City (ABC)
So, does Starfleet Intelligence end up winning all six awards it gets nominated for, judging by the show being bolded in advance here?

If so, chalk it up to the most successful TV show in years.
View attachment 835933

DUCKTALES MOVIE PRODUCES MIDDLING RETURNS AT BOX OFFICE
KATZENBERG DISPLEASED

Although Ducktales proved to be a phenomenon on television, its movie debut proved less than phenomenal. Released on June 5 with a $35 million budget, Ducktales only recently made its money back on the July 4 weekend, grossing $70 million with about two weeks to run before it exits theaters. Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of Disney, was displeased with the returns. "Katzenberg was surprised that the audience did not react as positively as he thought. The poor word of mouth regarding the film cost Ducktales about $40 million extra at the gate." Although the writers believed that the plot was strong, children between eight and twelve years of age thought it was juvenile and directed at preschoolers, causing the bad word of mouth. "This is the first time we can recall young children of elementary school age give a thumbs down to a Disney movie that everyone, including Katzenberg, thought would be a smashing success," a Disney insider said. Disney did research regarding the Ducktales flop in late June and determined that the entire concept was not suitable for a great movie because the cartoon was not directed towards older elementary school children, who wanted a more mature plot. Katzenberg believes that there was no strong female character; the research also showed that girls did not like the movie as much as boys did. "Katzenberg believes Disney will cash in if they center their future movies around a strong female character, especially a princess-like figure. He wanted that for Ducktales but the writers didn't think it would work," the source said.
So, when did DuckTales premiere ITTL? Unless the show started in Fall 1986, or unless The Treasure of the Golden Suns has a bigger budget, I doubt this adds up to the timeline.

Still, I can't say this didn't have potential here. It's a movie based on some of Disney's most popular characters, in an action movie during the Star Trek Renaissance, and the movie had its debut on the first weekend in summer. To flop because children basically dismissed DuckTales as "juvenile for preschoolers" not only makes me think the children are wrong, but it also makes me fear the ratings for its following season.

I wouldn't be against Spock's World as a feature film. Just fix the title so it doesn't sound like the backdoor pilot for a TV show.

Now, an educational series made by Walt Disney Television? That could use the Spock's World name as is and still work.

So, does Starfleet Intelligence end up winning all six awards it gets nominated for, judging by the show being bolded in advance here?

If so, chalk it up to the most successful TV show in years.

So, when did DuckTales premiere ITTL? Unless the show started in Fall 1986, or unless The Treasure of the Golden Suns has a bigger budget, I doubt this adds up to the timeline.

Still, I can't say this didn't have potential here. It's a movie based on some of Disney's most popular characters, in an action movie during the Star Trek Renaissance, and the movie had its debut on the first weekend in summer. To flop because children basically dismissed DuckTales as "juvenile for preschoolers" not only makes me think the children are wrong, but it also makes me fear the ratings for its following season.
--I don't think the Spock's World title needs fixing.

--Starfleet Intelligence will go down as one of the most successful TV shows, alongside Hill Street Blues in the same time period.

--Ducktales premiered in 1986 ITTL. It'll still do fine on TV, and Disney will end up with a small profit on the movie, but Disney should have probably waited until 1988 ITTL to give Ducktales some more momentum before making it a feature film. ITTL this is the classic situation of a movie getting rushed into production because Disney had a good movie in The Great Mouse Detective in 1986

I'm on Nimoy's side with the movie adaptation. If the story is going to be focused on Vulcans and their society, then it makes absolute sense that Surak and the violent pre-Surak period are mentioned extensively in order for T'Pring to have a legitimate argument to leave the Federation despite being a founding member. I also hope that there isn't a "true" villain in this story since I think her stance would be cheapened if she was under the control of the Romulans and is working to undermine the Federation.

Ehhhhh...I think it should change for marketing reasons and because the story probably won't be a 100% copy of the novel as an adaptation.

I'm on Nimoy's side with the movie adaptation. If the story is going to be focused on Vulcans and their society, then it makes absolute sense that Surak and the violent pre-Surak period are mentioned extensively in order for T'Pring to have a legitimate argument to leave the Federation despite being a founding member. I also hope that there isn't a "true" villain in this story since I think her stance would be cheapened if she was under the control of the Romulans and is working to undermine the Federation.

Ehhhhh...I think it should change for marketing reasons and because the story probably won't be a 100% copy of the novel as an adaptation.
I agree on the first point, and in the movie, we'll see that T'Pring isn't working for the Romulans because she failed them at the very start of the TL (so the Romulans don't believe in her abilities).

Maybe just call it Spock's World: Vulcan as the title?

Yes, as the 5th network. Paramount beat FOX to the punch by creating the 4th network in 1980. Harve Bennett ITTL left Paramount and the Star Trek franchise after Star Trek IV to lead FOX
So, what airs on PTS at this point?

Did either Voltron or Robotech find their way onto PTS?

Can Paramount import a anime?

To each their own. You're the Star Trek fan here.
--Starfleet Intelligence will go down as one of the most successful TV shows, alongside Hill Street Blues in the same time period.
Absolutely.
--Ducktales premiered in 1986 ITTL. It'll still do fine on TV, and Disney will end up with a small profit on the movie, but Disney should have probably waited until 1988 ITTL to give Ducktales some more momentum before making it a feature film. ITTL this is the classic situation of a movie getting rushed into production because Disney had a good movie in The Great Mouse Detective in 1986
That explains it. Honestly, it could have wound up worse for the movie's box office results, knowing more of the story now.
As for Starfleet Intelligence winning all six awards, that's a wait and see
Okay.

So, what airs on PTS at this point?

Did either Voltron or Robotech find their way onto PTS?

Can Paramount import a anime?
Paramount airs a lot of Disney cartoons in the early afternoon and on Saturdays because of their merger. They could import anime to fill in some overnight programming but the cost right now exceeds the profits. Fox is probably importing more anime than Paramount right now.

Transformers is likely to switch to Paramount once they buy the rights, but Voltron is airing on Fox

Paramount airs a lot of Disney cartoons in the early afternoon and on Saturdays because of their merger. They could import anime to fill in some overnight programming but the cost right now exceeds the profits. Fox is probably importing more anime than Paramount right now.

Transformers is likely to switch to Paramount once they buy the rights, but Voltron is airing on Fox
DuckTales, Star Trek, Thundercats, and now Transformers? Paramount has it going ON!

However, Voltron on Fox is actually a good pickup for the newest network on the street.

"The highly acclaimed science fiction series was nominated for 6 Emmy Awards; " - GO S:I! GO S:I! All the gongs please!

Spock's World does sound like a blockbuster, but Trek has never canonised the novels so I suspect any movie or series made from books/comics is going to be quite different esp cos fans of other excellent books are going to want their fav filmed next otherwise e.g. the Rihannsu books or The Final Reflection - which they honestly do both deserve. Great books imho.

Last edited:
"The highly acclaimed science fiction series was nominated for 6 Emmy Awards; " - GO S:I! GO S:I! All the gongs please!

Spock's World does sound like a blockbuster, but Trek has never canonised the novels so I suspect any movie or series made from books/comics is going to be quite different esp cos fans of other excellent books are going to want their fav filmed next otherwise e.g. the Rihannsu books or The Final Reflection - which they honestly do both deserve. Great books imho.
Emmy hypotheticals ITTL:

Nichelle Nichols could make it 3 Emmys in 5 years
S. Epatha Merkerson could go from total unknown to Emmy winner in a calendar year
Nick Meyer could win two more Emmys (I'm not sure if I mentioned it at some point ITTL, but he won 2 Emmys for The Day After for Outstanding Drama Special and Outstanding Directing).

The real butterfly is for Merkerson because if she wins, she's going to get some serious major movie roles

BOB DOLE LAUNCHES PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
GALLUP POLL FINDS DOLE, GLENN IN DEAD HEAT; GLENN LEADS OTHER REPUBLICANS

Robert Dole, the longtime Republican senator from Kansas and the frontrunner for the Republican nomination, launched his presidential campaign on July 30, 1987. In his hometown, tiny Russell, Kansas, Dole smiled for virtually his entire speech, a rarity for the usually serious senator. "We are in a fight for America's future," Dole said. "Do we want a future of dependency on the federal government, or dependency on our own talents and gifts? "President Glenn believes that the American people should be dependent on the government. I believe in the opposite; our talents will always guide us through. It wasn't the federal government that led us to breaking up the Warsaw Pact. It was American ingenuity that allowed us to achieve more than the Soviet Union." Dole's other major campaign point against Glenn centered on the urban renewal bill that caused a lot of hackles in Congress, especially among his own party. "President Glenn turned his back on suburban Americans and us rural folk by promoting the needs of Americans in the cities," Dole said. "We deserve the same treatment, and the city folk are the only people thriving. I think President Glenn forgot where his roots were, in the countryside."

Vice President Bentsen immediately attacked Dole after the speech. "Bob Dole doesn't care a lick for Americans who don't look like him, speak like him, or live in the same type of environment as him," Bentsen fired back. "Even though President Glenn and I grew up in humble beginnings in the countryside, just like my old friend from Kansas, we are leaders for every American. Senator Dole is trying to divide Americans, while President Glenn always seeks to unite the country." Despite the sharp criticism, Dole is in the strongest position against Glenn in a potential general election. The President clocked in with a 46 percent approval rating; he and Dole are deadlocked at 45 percent in the polls, with 10 percent undecided. Glenn leads the other Republican candidates. He is ahead of former CIA director George H.W. Bush by 7 points, 49 percent to 42 percent; he leads Tennessee senator Howard Baker by 8 points, 50 percent to 42 percent, and Virginia evangelist Pat Robertson by 11 points, 52 percent to 41 percent. "Glenn is in a strong position to win reelection, unless he faces Senator Dole," the famous pollster Louis Harris said. "Republicans have to consider electability when it comes to their candidates. If they don't, Glenn will win reelection without breaking much of a sweat next year."
"Bob Dole would vote for Bob Dole, and Bob Dole is right!"