WI the English decisively win the 3rd Anglo-Dutch War

What terms exactly was France going to lay out for the Dutch? The Spanish Netherlands are in the way right, how much land can France feasibly take?

Not exactly - the prince-bishopric of Liège (allied to France) is a bridge between France and the Dutch territory.
1579021986580.png

France ITTL will have territory on both sides of the Spanish Netherlands and it probably will not resist long in a new war.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
As part of British policy here, what sort of marriages might the children of James make here? I can't see there being a marriage to William of Orange if the French have completely dicked on the Dutch and Charles is moving toward actually coming out as a Catholic.

As part of British policy here, what sort of marriages might the children of James make here? I can't see there being a marriage to William of Orange if the French have completely dicked on the Dutch and Charles is moving toward actually coming out as a Catholic.

But would Charles be able to come out as a Catholic here? I think anti-Catholic sentiment is only going to get higher, if the French are pushing to control the Netherlands. Anglo-French relations have never been easy, they're traditional enemies and if the Netherlands are no longer able to act as a buffer state... it could get even worse, I think. Either George of Denmark is married to Mary instead of Anne as part of the Anglo-Danish alliance against a French-Dutch power on the other side of the North Sea, or if there is real fear of a Catholic Succession, I could see Charles either being forced to set Catherine aside in favour of a Protestant Princess - if he has time to father a son, I'm not sure of dates in this period, or perhaps Monmouth is even legitimised and Parliament swallow their distaste of him because a Protestant male of dubious birth is better than a Catholic....

And before anyone says its impossible for a legitimised bastard to inherit, it's not. There's precedent for it in the Beauforts. The first act that legitimised them in 1397 said nothing about barring them from the throne. That particular detail wasn't added to the charter until 1403, by their half-brother, Henry IV, who wanted to secure the throne for his own sons...

VVD0D95

Banned
But would Charles be able to come out as a Catholic here? I think anti-Catholic sentiment is only going to get higher, if the French are pushing to control the Netherlands. Anglo-French relations have never been easy, they're traditional enemies and if the Netherlands are no longer able to act as a buffer state... it could get even worse, I think. Either George of Denmark is married to Mary instead of Anne as part of the Anglo-Danish alliance against a French-Dutch power on the other side of the North Sea, or if there is real fear of a Catholic Succession, I could see Charles either being forced to set Catherine aside in favour of a Protestant Princess - if he has time to father a son, I'm not sure of dates in this period, or perhaps Monmouth is even legitimised and Parliament swallow their distaste of him because a Protestant male of dubious birth is better than a Catholic....

And before anyone says its impossible for a legitimised bastard to inherit, it's not. There's precedent for it in the Beauforts. The first act that legitimised them in 1397 said nothing about barring them from the throne. That particular detail wasn't added to the charter until 1403, by their half-brother, Henry IV, who wanted to secure the throne for his own sons...
Hmm tbis is very true. I could see Charles being forced to set aside Catherine-assuming someone doesn’t arrange an accident for her- and perhaps marrying someone like Ulrika Eleonora of Denmark in day 1673

Hmm tbis is very true. I could see Charles being forced to set aside Catherine-assuming someone doesn’t arrange an accident for her- and perhaps marrying someone like Ulrika Eleonora of Denmark in day 1673

Or if you don't want to be absolutely horrible to Catherine by actually killing her, maybe she dies of one of her miscarriages...

VVD0D95

Banned
Or if you don't want to be absolutely horrible to Catherine by actually killing her, maybe she dies of one of her miscarriages...

Oooh a miscarriage in day 1666/1669 I tbink would work, as that’s the last recorded date she seems to have been pregnant though it’s before the pod. Though perhaps Charles gets desperate and she gets pregnant and miscarries and it all goes wrong?

Oooh a miscarriage in day 1666/1669 I tbink would work, as that’s the last recorded date she seems to have been pregnant though it’s before the pod. Though perhaps Charles gets desperate and she gets pregnant and miscarries and it all goes wrong?

Possibly.

In short:
- Horrendous for the Dutch (Fleet gone, French Vassal, Brabant gone)
- Bad for the English (Civil War)
- Super for the French (English in Civil War, Dutch power evaporated.

An English Victory can only be ideal for France. There is no William III allowed to take the English throne (whether he would do it is another question, there are more optional tricks)

If James continues being a Catholic and keeping his heir Catholic, it could be a matter of time until Protestant Nobles try to get rid of him.

VVD0D95

Banned
In short:
- Horrendous for the Dutch (Fleet gone, French Vassal, Brabant gone)
- Bad for the English (Civil War)
- Super for the French (English in Civil War, Dutch power evaporated.

An English Victory can only be ideal for France. There is no William III allowed to take the English throne (whether he would do it is another question, there are more optional tricks)

If James continues being a Catholic and keeping his heir Catholic, it could be a matter of time until Protestant Nobles try to get rid of him.
Unless as @FalconHonour says Charles is pressurised into marrying again.

I assume that they will be given to France after a while, just like what happened to Dunkirk
Not if that means Antwerp wil be French and open and with a broken Republic a French Antwerp is very likely to happen. That will be like a shotgun pointing to London.
What terms exactly was France going to lay out for the Dutch?
The long term goal of Louis XIV was the Rhine as a natural northern border of France. If the Republic is utterly defeated as suggested, that's exactly going to happen.

This is an exciting scenario, someone really should adapt it into a TL. I'm interested in what France would look like after this, if they take the Spanish Netherlands later and tie Flemish/Dutch ventures into their own colonial companies... is any conception of European power balance just totally gone? Maybe there can be an English-Austrian alliance with observers like Sweden and Spain, but then Spain's gonna have its own succession war and is England really going to be in fighting shape by that time? Can Austria really stop a Franco-Spanish union from dominating Italy too? And could this restored-Rome-in-all-but-name ever fuck up their finances (well they certainly could, constant war on multiple fronts and revolts at home sap a lot of money) badly enough to lead to a Revolution?

Not if that means Antwerp wil be French and open and with a broken Republic a French Antwerp is very likely to happen. That will be like a shotgun pointing to London.
I think James II is stupid enough to give it away and if not, France is strong enough to take it. Who is going to stop them? This is a France dominates the continent scenario.

VVD0D95

Banned
This is an exciting scenario, someone really should adapt it into a TL. I'm interested in what France would look like after this, if they take the Spanish Netherlands later and tie Flemish/Dutch ventures into their own colonial companies... is any conception of European power balance just totally gone? Maybe there can be an English-Austrian alliance with observers like Sweden and Spain, but then Spain's gonna have its own succession war and is England really going to be in fighting shape by that time? Can Austria really stop a Franco-Spanish union from dominating Italy too? And could this restored-Rome-in-all-but-name ever fuck up their finances (well they certainly could, constant war on multiple fronts and revolts at home sap a lot of money) badly enough to lead to a Revolution?
I may just do this

I think James II is stupid enough to give it away and if not, France is strong enough to take it. Who is going to stop them? This is a France dominates the continent scenario.

I agree, in this scenario France can and will take Antwerpen. (Now) Anvers will both rival London and Amsterdam.

Indeed horrendous for the Dutch Republic, as a (North) Brabantian, who's ancestors were Roman Catholics from the Generality Lands, I have mixed feelings. I probably see the Dutch Republic as less glorious than a Dutchman from Holland proper, but even I are not thrilled by a scenario, where we Dutch end up as French or French vassals.