WI The Dutch Colonize Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines and Indonesia

This is probably ASB, but how would these nations be split up during the anti colonial period (if at all) if they were all colonized by one power. I've used Dutch in this example but really it could be any power. Bonus if they're also practicing the same religion.

There would be a partition like the one in British India, dividing countries based on religion. I suppose two countries would come out independent: a Muslim and a Christian one.

There would be a partition like the one in British India, dividing countries based on religion. I suppose two countries would come out independent: a Muslim and a Christian one.

But I mean, what if all 3 are the same religion. Say they're all majority Christianity or majority Islam. Would they be one Malay Archipeligo mega state or would some divisions happen anyway?

But I mean, what if all 3 are the same religion. Say they're all majority Christianity or majority Islam. Would they be one Malay Archipeligo mega state or would some divisions happen anyway?

Still too huge to be held together. Indonesia alone is doing ok, but having power concentrated in Java is a huge benefit. In a mega-state like this, that's not nearly as certain.

Besides, you need a much earlier POD to try to change the religious makeup, and probably a bit out of context from your original question.

If the Dutch capture the wealthy Philippines from Spain (supposedly after a successful Battle of La Naval de Manila), then i'm afraid they'll lose some interest in Indonesia. I'd expect the DEI to encompass the Philippines, Borneo, Java, and southern Sumatra in this scenario.

The Dutch did colonize Taiwan in OTL.
Yea, and lost it to a Ming exile fleet. That's how tenuous their hold on it was. Not saying it's impossible, but they would need a lot less interest from China to survive. Fortunately, a disinterested China is doable.

Faeelin

Banned
Yea, and lost it to a Ming exile fleet. That's how tenuous their hold on it was. Not saying it's impossible, but they would need a lot less interest from China to survive. Fortunately, a disinterested China is doable.

This Ming exile fleet had thousands of troops and was led by a warlord who retook much of Southern China, and it required years and pretty drastic measures to get him off the mainland.

Actually the Wealthy parts of the Philippines is the Central Philippines south of Pasig River, that is why I think in other situations the Spanish would not care about the Northern Half of Luzon and Core Sultanate of Maguindanao area which are aside from backwater, they are not worth to hold for the spanish due to their lack of natural resources.

Maoistic

Banned
This Ming exile fleet had thousands of troops and was led by a warlord who retook much of Southern China, and it required years and pretty drastic measures to get him off the mainland.
The Dutch actually helped the Qing defeat this Ming remnant if I'm not wrong.

But yeah, for the Dutch to be holding this much is very hard. Even the Spaniards had trouble projecting power as far as Southeast Asia and they were the top dogs during the 16th and 17th century. I am a big pusher for the argument that Europe was already superior to India and China both in land and sea, but that doesn't matter since invasion is extremely hard thanks to distance. Even in the 20th century with all the advancements in naval technology and transportation, the Europeans were defenceless once the Japanese caught up to them and went Mongol on their Asian colonies.

The only way for the Dutch to accept the Qing offer for Taiwan is for them to gain Luzon or at least its Northern Half due to it pulling a sulawesi or ternate against the Spanish.