WI: The 1991 Soviet Coup D'état Succeed

Today marks the 30th year anniversary of the Soviet coup. Because of this, I wonder what if the coup attempt succeeded? How would that affect the Soviet Union and the Cold War, and would the USSR survive thanks to the coup or continue or would it still collapse?

I can't see there being succesful coup. There was too much of opposition for such thing. Even if coupers kill Gorbachev and Yeltisn, this probably would lead to collapse of Soviet state or even civil war.

Civil war is likely. The coup hadnt much public support. But that doesnt mean they dont choose to fight it out.....if they can get some early wins.

in my opinion During 1991 Russia demand for democracy But When Soviet Coup By hardliner

I say The Second Russian Civil War "Could" Had happen Majority Of Democratic Front
The minority Would Be
-Theocracy like vatican government
-Restorationist (Tsar Faction)
-Nationalist

and many more

I can't see there being succesful coup. There was too much of opposition for such thing. Even if coupers kill Gorbachev and Yeltisn, this probably would lead to collapse of Soviet state or even civil war.
The Baltics are a lost cause, but without an alternative focus of authority (Yeltsin), the rest of the Soviet state would totter on. Even in OTL, most people did actually keep their heads down in what was really a struggle between the elites.

Last edited: