WI: Taoist Colony in South America

Let's say that China does discover the Americas during the treasure voyagers but for now there's only some trade with the native kingdoms and maps drawn of the west coast. Eventually in the 1500's a group of Taoists decide that the Ming are too centralized but realizing that another rebellion was unlikely to succeed they look at the nearly century old maps and sail across the Pacific to modern day Colombia and found a colony with a government that follows Taoist values over Confucian ones.

How would initial contact with the Natives and Spanish go? Could Taoism spread to the Incas and Amazonian tribes? Would they try to ally with the Incas or the opposing kingdoms? Would they be able to keep their independence from the Spanish expeditions or would they have to settle to becoming a protectorate?

Last edited:
South America is antipodal to East Asia, so it'd be one heck of a haul to get down there.
I've just heard somewhere that South America was more likely for Chinese colonization than North America, though maybe the discussion was about California and Mexico instead.

The currents can't take you easily from China down to Columbia, but they can take you to California and Mexico, as well as Alaska. Though if they can get down to the equatorial current, and stay on it, it looks like it will take them to northern South America.

The currents can't take you easily from China down to Columbia, but they can take you to California and Mexico, as well as Alaska. Though if they can get down to the equatorial current, and stay on it, it looks like it will take them to northern South America.
Was Central America (e.g. Panama) possible or is that still too far south? Otherwise Southern Mexico (mostly just wanted jungle) works fine if they can work around the Aztecs.

Amusing as it maybe I shall say Taoism never have much of an organization ever since the yellow turban rebellion failed(such is my opinion at least), to most of us Chinese nowadays and back then, Taoists are nothing but a bunch of weirdo alchemists who hide themselves deep within the mountains, doing god knows what kind of experiments for the ultimate purpose of achieving immortality.

Get the Japanese to bring a small Taoist sect there during a Japanese Age of Exploration caused by warlordism during the late Ming. :p

I doubt Japanese got time for Chinese Taoism when they already got their own Shinto and Buddhism
True enough, but then, in the chaos of a Japanese Age of Exploration, and in the mixing of ideas and people by the red seal ships sailing the seas, some Chinese Daoists (or at least, anti-Confucians) might want to join an expedition across the Pacific.

Amusing as it maybe I shall say Taoism never have much of an organization ever since the yellow turban rebellion failed(such is my opinion at least), to most of us Chinese nowadays and back then, Taoists are nothing but a bunch of weirdo alchemists who hide themselves deep within the mountains, doing god knows what kind of experiments for the ultimate purpose of achieving immortality.
That's what the English said about the Puritans.

Really? I always thought Puritans are those who say do anything out of pleasure is wrong and such
Wrong, Puritans were more about social harmony, sex is good but inside the marriage and other social things, but they were regular englishmen nonetheless, people should avoid the stereotypes