WI:Steve Spurrier returns to Florida in 2005?

At the end of the 2004 college football season after the Gators fired head coach Ron Zook a lot of people were speculating that legendary former Florida Gators head coach Steve Spurrier was going to return to being the head coach of the Florida Gators in 2005 after resigning from the position after the 2001 season

OTL a big changer was that then South Carolina gamecocks head coach Lou Holtz retiring again and this time for real after the 04 season in which the Gamecocks then really went aggressive with their push to hire Spurrier who earlier than month already withdrew his name from the Florida head coach search and soon after he became the new head coach of the South Carolina Gamecocks program and Florida would hire then Utah head coach Urban Meyer.

But what if Spurrier never withdrew his name from the search and eventually gave into the rumors as they got hotter and returned to being the Florida Gators head coach in 2005?

How long would the reunion last?
Would he still be able to end up having the success with the Gators like Urban Meyer did in the late 00s OTL?
Would this butterfly Nick Saban’s Alabama dynasty?
Would Florida end up dominating the SEC going into the early 2010s?
What would happen to Urban Meyer?

I dont see many college football WIs so I decided “Hey why not post this?”.

Last edited:
The big q I think is whether Spur’s offense was “figured out” by defenses at that point, and if he’s able to nab so many of the same players Urban got.

What I’m curious about is where Urban goes in that case. Wasn’t ND interested in him?

There a historical college in the deep south in decline might take him
Yeah, maybe. I don't think Urban would have picked South Carolina at least. Mike Shula hadn't quite flamed out at Alabama yet so that wouldn't be an option either. ND seems like a decent pick in that case and he's from the Midwest originally. Charlie Weis possibly gets the LSU job instead of Les Miles after Saban bounced to the Dolphins, then?

Yeah, maybe. I don't think Urban would have picked South Carolina at least. Mike Shula hadn't quite flamed out at Alabama yet so that wouldn't be an option either. ND seems like a decent pick in that case and he's from the Midwest originally. Charlie Weis possibly gets the LSU job instead of Les Miles after Saban bounced to the Dolphins, then?
More coaching candidates I believe could pop up is then New England Patriots defensive Romeo Crennel who became the Cleveland Browns head coach in 2005 OTL or Oklahoma or them Auburn defensive coordinator Gene Chizik or Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson

More coaching candidates I believe could pop up is then New England Patriots defensive Romeo Crennel who became the Cleveland Browns head coach in 2005 OTL or Oklahoma or them Auburn defensive coordinator Gene Chizik or Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson
Yeah, definitely a plethora of options. Could see Weis staying in the pros too. I feel like he probably felt that you cant turn Notre Dame down, but South Carolina? Easier.

(Whatever happened to Robinson anyways?)