WI: Star Wars wasnt made for children

I'm not sure topless Leia (or topless anything) could work, especially in the '80s, but giving Leia and Padme skimpier outfits is workable. Leia's slave outfit would be alot thinner, and shorter, so that it ended above her knees, and maybe she could have bra cups like that Frank Franzetta guy does with his paintings. IIRC, Leia's outfit was inspired by his work.

Here's a bit by CS Lewis that kinda sums up my feeling on all this 'adult' stuff:

“Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence....When I was ten, I read fairytales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Anyway, even despite the fact the films contain a lot of stuff that your average child would probably squirm at the very least, I think that if ROTS had been more like the novelization by Matthew Stover or whoever it was, the critics would have liked it a whole lot more, and it might have even drawn comparisons with the new BSG.

If by adult you are refering qaulity, simply look up the Phantom Edit. It has the same characters, and situation but it changes aspects which make the film utterly amazing. No I'm serious, it seems all Phantom Menace needing was some editing.

i might have to check out that phantom edit; whoever said RoTJ was the weakest if the series must be joking, RoTJ is my favourite of the Original Trilogy, TPM is clearly the weakest of the bunch.

TelClaven

Banned
I recall an interview with Carrie Fisher where she spoke about the slave girl outfit and the scene where she and Mark Hamil swing across on the rope. Apparently there were several takes that had to be made because of, um, unfortunate wardrobe malfunctions mostly due to the fact she wasn't wearing any Star Wars Underroos under that outfit...
:eek:

What nobody seems to say is that if "Star Wars" was geared for an "adult" audience in the mid-late 1970's, it would be irredeemably cynical, pessimistic, and filled with 1970's Cinema attitudes about the pointlessness of life. Luke would probably be betrayed by Han and his last words would be filled with bitterness and dissolutionment.

Alternatively, it would be a Catch-22-like space war movie which included thinly hidden satires on the military culture, race relations, and other contemporary issues.

Either way, the movie would be forgotten in 2 years.

Personally, I do not consider Star Wars a "childrens" movie, although later sequels did go in this direction. It touched on a lot of very serious stuff (slavery, artificial intelligence, extraterrestrial life, religion/ethics, etc) in a way which presented no answers but only prompted speculation. By forcing himself to present these speculations in the form of a movie for all ages to enjoy, Lucas made a movie for all ages.

i might have to check out that phantom edit; whoever said RoTJ was the weakest if the series must be joking, RoTJ is my favourite of the Original Trilogy, TPM is clearly the weakest of the bunch.

Phantom Edit is cool in seeing how good the film is by changing or mixing up scenes. One version has the driods just beep like R2, no more "Roger Roger" stuff it makes them seem more scary, the Asian sounding aliens now have subtitles, and things are edited out. Jar-Jar is the French dialogue track reversed to give him alien language, Anakin is not so whiny, his has a dad, and all sorts of things which improve the pacing.

A nice fanedit I saw was Attack of the Clones. When Anakin and Padme kiss for the first time the part in which Anakin talks about sand, is cut out and it is just he kisses Padme after she speaks of understanding love. So it fits better when she rejects him.

I really think that Lucas just did away with his editor, or had ones that would not speak up. Lucas himself used to edit films and have two cuts, one the director wanted, and one he felt was better. Perhaps having so much authority somewhat ends the idea of questioning the director.

I always thought "Star Wars" would have been better if it had been darker, and not so childish and humorous. What if it had been conceived not by George Lucas, but by Tim Burton?! Of course, I loved it when it first came out, but I was a kid then. Now, every time I see Jar Jar Binks or the Ewoks, I want to see one of the Jedi slice them up with a light saber! And that two-headed announcer guy at Anikin's pod race, who acted as his own translator, was just too stupid for words. George Lucas, how could you let it happen?
I know some of you are too young to remember the first version of "Battlestar Galactica", but it too was sort of lighthearted, in contrast to today's BSG. Everybody in the fleet sort of shrugged off the destruction of the Twelve Colonies and the extermination of most of humanity without feeling much grief or despair, and went on their happy way across the stars. And there was a toy robotic dog, which tilted its faux-furry head and rotated its ears, and uttered a kind of mechanical bark. I think that, like "Star Wars", the first incarnation of "Galactica" tried to include something for everyone, which didn't turn out too well, despite the groundbreaking (for its time) special effects.