WI: Sliders (TV Series) More Successful

From an Alternate History point of view, the episodes with a Communist and a British Royalist USA were quite funny. Though I liked the character of Maggie, I gotta agree with other posters here that it went more and more downhill after Rhys-Davies left the show.

Deleted member 82792

Can anyone think of any episodes or alternate Earths Sliders could have done?

I had a thought in relation to alternate history in the Sliders series. Often times alternate history was simply used as a means to an end for a "what if people did this or what if life was like this". What if everyone wore giant bow ties? What if everyone was a lawyer and ordering a cheeseburger took filling out a seven page form? What if the Ancient Egyptians ran the world? There's not necessarily a POD to that -- you could make up one, but it's more the writers trying to create an interesting Earth and for some reason it's different in this way. That still works. The thing is, even in that regard the series started to fail around season three whereas it was ok for what it was for the first two seasons.

Yeah, the first two .seasons were good, then it just got stupid. Also, "Earth Prime" is terrible and very closed-minded of a concept for a scientist. There's a reason we call it OTL instead on this site. Just because we were born in it doesn't make it anything special, making the "Earth Prime" concept the Alternate Timeline equivalent of Geocentrism.

Just a thought regarding sliders, could it have survived longer by perhaps doing crossovers into other series? I know this is highly unlikely but it would be kind of cool.

Some funny thoughts:

Sliders in 21st Century:

*Try to figure out the reality in the new timeline by using Google (or any other search engine in dominant in that timeline)

*Have to change sim card every time they arrive in a new timeline

*Using the search engine/social media to locate the equivalent of their own self

:eek:

Some funny thoughts:

Sliders in 21st Century:

*Try to figure out the reality in the new timeline by using Google (or any other search engine in dominant in that timeline)

*Have to change sim card every time they arrive in a new timeline

*Using the search engine/social media to locate the equivalent of their own self

:eek:
In one crazy episode Alta Vista will be the dominant search engine. :eek:

Actually, I remember having a dream about Sliders sometime around 2004. The Sliders landed in a "retro futuristic" world, basically something like how people from the 80s and early 90s imagined the near future to be like, somewhat like 2015 from Back to the Future, but less sci-fi-ish. I remember there were these very clean streets and tall glass skyscrapers and everyone was wearing something like a white embroidered onesie, but for example there was no internet and mobile phones were still bulky and could only be used for voice communication.

Did anyone else think even at the time that Arturo's 'Alexander lives longer, Middle Kingdom Egyptian culture takes over the world' explanation was distinctly ropey?

I think Tracy Tormé planned a Nazi-themed episode around season 3, in which the Sliders land in a world where the Germans won WW2, but it was scrapped.

The closest was the Season 4 episode "California Reich" where the Sliders end up in an America resembling Apartheid South Africa. Non-white people are turned into mindless grey-skinned robot slaves by the government, but the general population thinks they are androids.

They should have done more alternate history in general but to keep broader viewer interest they might have done minor change timelines where they interacted with alternate versions of selves.

The whole different road taken theme could have spawned a number of episodes.

I suddenly remember an interesting plot point from that episode: There was no Adolf Hitler on that world, so pre-war racism remained the norm in every country, as Nazism didn't shock every society.

Just a thought regarding sliders, could it have survived longer by perhaps doing crossovers into other series? I know this is highly unlikely but it would be kind of cool.

This actually does sound extremely cool.

Imagine a Sliders-Pokemon crossover, or a Sliders-Harry Potter crossover, or a Sliders-Percy Jackson crossover.

Or a Sliders-Harry Potter-Percy Jackson-Pokemon crossover.

How would the crew of sliders deal with some of the alternate worlds we have here at AH.Com if they traveled to them?

In my Crime Across Time, I could see the gangster Mastriani trying to steal their tech so he can jumpstart his own attempts at recreating a Gateway to other universes.

How would they do in the Protect & Survive world?

What about the London sent back to Prehistoric times scenario?

On the topic of the internet as a topic for the show, one of the problems would be the same problem that there was with Futurama. The further you get away from the point where the character(s) severed contact with your world, the less able they are to talk about recent issues. For example, Fry left in 2000. He has no business talking about an iPhone and yet he does because it was an episode in the late 2000s --- about a decade from when the show started. The same issue would seem to crop up if the Sliders series continued really long and they tried to make references. They become an anachronism, and the culture they left is increasingly different from the one that exists in the present.