WI: Senator David Duke

Best case scenario, and I don't think it'd be that much of a longshot, would be that the Senate would expel him in the first order of business. I could see it happening

SwampTiger

Banned
AAARRGGHH! Could you please have him move to another state. We are still trying to live him down. He led to the return of "Fast Eddie" Edwards.

He gets censured a few times, gets no seats of importance, and everyone does their best to ignore him until his term is up and he loses reelection.

Best case scenario, and I don't think it'd be that much of a longshot, would be that the Senate would expel him in the first order of business. I could see it happening

On what basis? You can't expel a Senator just because no one likes them, especially since David Duke's political views are 1st Amendment protected. That said, there's going to be a lot of people digging up dirt on him. IIRC he is suspected to have "mishandled" funds for the Klan (or one of his later racist groups).

He gets censured a few times, gets no seats of importance, and everyone does their best to ignore him until his term is up and he loses reelection.

On what basis? You can't expel a Senator just because no one likes them, especially since David Duke's political views are 1st Amendment protected. That said, there's going to be a lot of people digging up dirt on him. IIRC he is suspected to have "mishandled" funds for the Klan (or one of his later racist groups).

Well the constitution says each house can set their own rules and dismiss for disorderly conduct. Being in the Klan is certainly disorderly. Not to mention his support of the confederacy which basically all previous expelled members were expelled to. 2/3 of senate votes lets senators expel whoever they want to. Its not a court case like impeachment

They wouldn't expel Dukieboy, on the whole mealy mouthed "democratic decision of the electorate" spiel.

What they would do is make sure he isn't on any important committiees or the DC Committee. And when he speaks in committee, his colleagues all leave the room except for the Chairman and others needed to transact the most basic of business.

Especially prior to the victory of the Gingrich wing, a man like Duke would be a Senatorial eunuch.

Baby Kata

Banned
Nothing much would happen, since Senators don't have very much individual power. He could propose all of the "White power" bills he wanted to, but none of them would ever pass.

I think that how the Senate handles matters is less interesting than how the general electorate handles them.

ITTL, Louisiana voters just proved that a majority are openly, proudly racist - that is not going to go over well nationally. The Republican party was opposed to Duke; they refused to endorse him, and pressured the candidate they did endorse to withdraw to ensure one of the Democrats won outright, just to avoid a runoff that Duke might find a way to win.

If he wins anyway? If they're shamed as David Duke (R-Louisiana) appears on the news? Oh boy, that'll shake up the party as they try desperately to make sure nothing like this EVER happens again.

If Duke makes it to the Senate I can’t imagine a scenario where he doesn’t try to run for the GOP presidential nomination in 1996. I don’t think he’d get that far mind you, but he’d be more visible than in OTL’s attempts and with the rise of the far-right in the 1990’s he might still warrant a mention in the Wikipedia infobox.

He might even become a disappointingly successful third party candidate in 1996 or 2000.

The Kingfish would be rolling in his grave about the honorable reputation of poor Louisiana. What happened to schoolbooks for children of every skin color and improved highway infrastructure. Who would trade "every man a king" for every senator a [david] duke?

Pretty much. The Senate can't refuse to seat a member but they can expel a member after they've been sworn in. Likely Duke would be expelled with the Senate using the Senate Ethics Manual for "improper conduct which may reflect upon the Senate." And the improper conduct meant conduct "so notorious or reprehensible that it could discredit the institution as a whole, not just the individual, thereby invoking the Senate's inherent and constitutional right to protect its own integrity and reputation."

So Duke will likely have the shortest term as a United States Senator, and the Republican Party will do this:

If they're shamed as David Duke (R-Louisiana) appears on the news? Oh boy, that'll shake up the party as they try desperately to make sure nothing like this EVER happens again.

He'd have to sit as an independent; no caucus will take him. This means he'll largely be a useless echo with no committee assignments and possibly no pork to bring home to the voters. I'd imagine he'd be turned out of office if he even makes it to the end of his term.

ITTL, Louisiana voters just proved that a majority are openly, proudly racist - that is not going to go over well nationally. The Republican party was opposed to Duke; they refused to endorse him, and pressured the candidate they did endorse to withdraw to ensure one of the Democrats won outright, just to avoid a runoff that Duke might find a way to win.

It was a low turnout election. All ut proves is that the electorate had to choose between a crook and a Nazi.

It was a low turnout election. All ut proves is that the electorate had to choose between a crook and a Nazi.

I think you're thinking of the 1991 Gubernatorial election. That was the one between the crook and the nazi. He ran for senate a year before that and did better, getting 43.5% of the vote.