WI: Sassanids don't dissolve the Lakhmids?

The Lakhmid dynasty was a pre-Islamic Arab state centered around the borderlands between Mesopotamia and the deserts of Arabia and the urban center of Al-Hirah. They were crucial in repelling the raids of Bedouin tribesmen, and served as a valuable buffer state, especially against the Byzantine-backed Ghassanids. However, Khosrau II imprisoned the Lakhmid ruler, Al-Numan-III, and this led to a chain of events that led to them being dissolved and the battle of Dhi Qar. What if Khosrau had not done so, and the Sassanids leave the Lakhmids alone until the Arab conquest? Could Al-Hirah become a prominent administrative and economic center under the Caliphate? How would this affect the conquest of the Sassanids? How does this affect the First Fitna, but I think I'm going too far into things at that point.

My opinion is that they could've provided an useful buffer and ally against the Muslim invaders, but perhaps not enough to prevent the conquest. @John7755 يوحنا
It would certainly change the speed and details of the conquest though, and have effects afterwards, though the butterflies might be too difficult to quantify. However, if the Arabs are busy trying to break through the Lakhmids, the Byzantines might be able to attack from the rear and force the Arab armies to retreat. That could potentially relegate Islam to a much smaller reach than OTL, or even an ethnic Arab religion. Though that's one scenario, if the conquest still happens, I can see Al-Hirah remaining a medium-sized urban center.

It would certainly change the speed and details of the conquest though, and have effects afterwards, though the butterflies might be too difficult to quantify. However, if the Arabs are busy trying to break through the Lakhmids, the Byzantines might be able to attack from the rear and force the Arab armies to retreat. That could potentially relegate Islam to a much smaller reach than OTL, or even an ethnic Arab religion. Though that's one scenario, if the conquest still happens, I can see Al-Hirah remaining a medium-sized urban center.
the persian took the right choice, avoided given a proper fifht column the romans or someone could backstabb them anyway plus muslim conquered that area easily, Lakhmids might be a least a worthy side note that a mere footnote on history

On a side note, how much of Mesopotamia was already occupied by Arab-speaking people by the time Mohammed and his followers took control of Mecca?

Personally, the Lakhmids are the best option I can think of for avoiding the rise of the Caliphate - instead seeing a union under Al-Hira. I need to hunt details down but part of the reason the Caliphate was able to rise was because the Lakhmids were neutered and unable to provide that buffer the Sassanids relied on.

But if the Lakhmids are allowed to stay vassals? With the issues for the Ghassanids, they could easily unite the North Arabian Christians after their conversion, and effectively make moves to solidify a proxy-Sassanid rule over Arabia - and since their Christianity was a heresy to Byzantium, it could provide a unifying faith distinct from both the Romans and Persian Zoroastrianism.

Like, a Christian Arabian culture centred around Al-Hirah and its relationship with Persia is an interesting change to OTL. Not sure it'd go the same route as the Caliphate, since its the expansion of a known entity and would probably give the Romans and Persians pause, but I can see them as a balancing power, but if there is a Sassanid civil war - they'll be the first group to sweep into Mesopotamia and onwards. This time however they don't have the OTL Lakhmids as spies, but full relations between the Lakhmids and Iranian nobility.