WI: Santo Domingo as a part of the US: Cuba will still be communist?

Suppose that Santo Domingo was successfully bought by the USA in 1870. In the 20th century, it was still a territory and then an American state. In addition, imagine that the USA has a little more in the Caribbean: the islands of Providence and San Andrés, the islet of Aves, in addition to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. What would happen to Cuba? Will it still be a communist state? Will Che Gevara always try his Cuban foray with Fidel Castro, or will he try to go elsewhere in Latin America, since Cuba will be surrounded by American territories? And if Cuba were still communist, will it still continue to ally itself with the USSR, or even to host Soviet missiles, causing the same crisis as OTL, despite a greater US presence in the Caribbean with Santo Domingo more?

Here's a map of the Caribbean sea in this TL:

map of the caribbean.png

That's far enough back that, to be honest, I think you certainly have butterflied away Castro and probably Che too.

For one thing, there is now a question about the Spanish-American War. Does it happen at all, and if it does, does a victorious US still let Cuba be nominally independent? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at least a formal protectorate.

That's far enough back that, to be honest, I think you certainly have butterflied away Castro and probably Che too.

For one thing, there is now a question about the Spanish-American War. Does it happen at all, and if it does, does a victorious US still let Cuba be nominally independent? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at least a formal protectorate.

Unless, despite the takeover of Santo Domingo, and, let's imagine virgin islands 45 years earlier, the Spanish-American war would happen like OTL, with more American success. Afterwards, I think that with Santo Domingo on hand, the USA will probably not need to administer Cuba in addition. It remains to be seen whether Che still occurs in Cuba like OTL, with the consequences that follow, or if Cuba remains in the capitalist camp and that communism settles in another Latin American country.

Last edited:
Suppose that Santo Domingo was successfully bought by the USA in 1870. In the 20th century, it was still a territory and then an American state. In addition, imagine that the USA has a little more in the Caribbean: the islands of Providence and San Andrés, the islet of Aves, in addition to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. What would happen to Cuba? Will it still be a communist state? Will Che Gevara always try his Cuban foray with Fidel Castro, or will he try to go elsewhere in Latin America, since Cuba will be surrounded by American territories? And if Cuba were still communist, will it still continue to ally itself with the USSR, or even to host Soviet missiles, causing the same crisis as OTL, despite a greater US presence in the Caribbean with Santo Domingo more?

View attachment 564489

This. If the United States had kept the Dominican Republic, I'm pretty sure that they would also have annexed Cuba at some point.

McPherson

Banned

View attachment 564489

Somebody here is a telepath. Now I have to ask permission...