WI Ross Perot buys the Cowboys in 1989 instead of Jerry Jones?

Here's a WI: Ross Perot takes an interest in the Dallas Cowboys in the 1960s and, after they fall on hard times in the 1980s, he buys them in 1989, outbidding Jerry Jones.

Effects, anyone? (The press conferences he has alone will be entertaining, IMO...)

I have a feeling Perot will be less likely to make himself GM, so the Cowboys bring in somebody with a stronger football background.

The Cowboys win 4 Super Bowls in a row in the '90s. Jimmy Johnson still leaves. The GM (not Jones) hires the right football guy (who? dunno) and the Cowboys continue their dominance for years.

Jerry Jones runs for the governorship of Arkansas, eventually becomes a senator, and is in line for a run for the presidency by 2008-2012

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I am trying to picture Perot giving half a damn about the Cowboys or any other Football Team. Just not seeing it.

I have a feeling Perot will be less likely to make himself GM, so the Cowboys bring in somebody with a stronger football background.

The Cowboys win 4 Super Bowls in a row in the '90s. Jimmy Johnson still leaves. The GM (not Jones) hires the right football guy (who? dunno) and the Cowboys continue their dominance for years.

Jerry Jones runs for the governorship of Arkansas, eventually becomes a senator, and is in line for a run for the presidency by 2008-2012
Why would Jimmy still leave, after winning 4 SBs, without Jerry forcing him out?

Security will be insane and half the fans will refuse to attend. I worked a couple days in a building the HR Perot had built and ut was designed to withstand a siege and looked like it was drsigned by a Paranoid Schizophrenic. mostly because …..it was…. I mean the reception desk faced away from the entrance doors and was behind a 4’ thick reinforced concrete wall. And to get to the upper 1/3 of the building you had to change elevators in a lobby that had guard booths in cross fire positions. It was crazy.
So that may effect the team a bit

Why would Jimmy still leave, after winning 4 SBs, without Jerry forcing him out?
Jimmy never stayed more than 5 years anywhere. Oklahoma State, Miami, Cowboys, Dolphins. And he goaded Jones into making the dumb move.

Jimmy wins 2, the GM brings in somebody in the Johnson coaching tree - Wannstedt? Turner? Davis? - who won't try to fix what's not broken. The SBs resume (OK maybe a one-year lag).