WI: Robert Winters defeats Pierre Trudeau

During the 1968 convention of the Liberal Party of Canada, Pierre Trudeau won the leadership despite opposition from some in the party, who supported either Robert Winters or Paul Hellyer. Many expected one of them to drop out and endorse the other to unite the anti-Trudeau vote. In the end, Hellyer endorsed Winters, but not until after the third ballot (of four), by which time it was too late to stop Trudeau.

My question is, what would have happened had Hellyer dropped out earlier, after the second ballot, and Winters managed to beat Trudeau? What might Winters have done in government? What would Trudeau do; could he still become leader at a later date?

My question is, what would have happened had Hellyer dropped out earlier, after the second ballot, and Winters managed to beat Trudeau? What might Winters have done in government? What would Trudeau do; could he still become leader at a later date?

Probably not alot, assuming that he still dies in 1969.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Winters, and wikipedia doesn't provide much beyond a basic sketch of his career. What sort of ideological or political tendencies did he represent?

EDIT: Okay, reading it again, wiki says he was "fiscally conservative", which I suppose would distinguish him somewhat from Trudeau. Though how that would actually play out in government is another matter.

Winters was a St. Laurent vet and fiscal conservative. Even fewer practical policy differences with the Tories than usual. He won't last long given health issues. If Trudeau lost, then he might try again but without guarantee of success. Grits have more left flank problems than OTL, though Winters will try and compensate by fishing from soft Tories.