WI: Richard II is never usurped by Bolingbroke

Thank you.

At 1386, Richard II mentioned Mortimer as a possible heir but did not actually confirm Mortimer as his heir with a bill.

I was speaking in regards to having a mistress. Plenty of pious kings avoided them but plenty also did have many mistresses. So i think there is a case for Richard II not being sterile.

Thanks for that tidbit. Do you by chance have the source, I'm curious if there is anything else interesting in Anne's letters.

Regarding Mortimer, I tend to think that Richard II was suspicious of both Mortimer and Bolingbroke but preferred Mortimer to Bolingbroke. As long as they were both around, Richard II could hope for them to oppose each other and didn't have to be aggressive against either. But once Bolingbroke was exiled, Richard II's relationship with Mortimer soured. I do think it is likely that Richard II wanted to arrest Mortimer for failing to carry out his orders and presumably being treasonous. However, I doubt Richard II wanted to kill him since he did not want Bolingbroke to inherit the throne and Bolingbroke was still alive and an adult compared to Mortimer's children. With Bolingbroke dead, we may see Richard II kill Mortimer since he doesn't have to worry about Bolingbroke getting the throne. However, I do not thinK Richard II would publically execute Mortimer. Instead, Richard II is more likely to have Mortimer murdered as he had Gloucester murdered. Or most probably Richard II could just put Mortimer in life imprisonment like Warwick.

If Mortimer imprisoned, Richard II will have Mortimer's sons and Bolingbroke's sons are his wards sorta similar to OTL and then should Richard II not produce his own son, he can either use Edward III or Edward I's entail to choose whichever branch he feels is more loyal to him.
Mortimer (the one we're talking about) was dead by the time Bolingbroke was exiled......

Was there another Roger Mortimer alive? And whole speech given to us by chronicler sounds exactly like what spoiled teenager from wealthy family would say in this situation, so I think it was Roger Mortimer of March who fulfilled every requirement (was spoiled wealthy teenager).

Surrey didn't care about his uncle being tried beheaded, why would he care about brother-in-law?

I think Richard tried this when he gave order to capture Thomas Mortimer, but Roger's neglect convinced him to try to arrest and attaint Roger to ease Norwich's way to the throne.
Our Roger Mortimer was already Earl of March and Earl of Ulster at that point so he CAN NOT be that Sir Roger Mortimer. 13 years are way too young for being already knighted and he would be called with his proper title (aka Earl of March or at the worst Earl of Ulster) and as I have already said Richard II had NO need to attaint Mortimer if he wanted place Norwich as heir

Most people from noble family's were spoiled and wealthy. Anyone could have met that criteria. I could have met that criteria.

Yeah, but there was a shortage of spoiled wealthy teenagers named Roger Mortimer, wasn't it?
She literally explains her reasoning in the same post.

I think gaining the part of Mortimer estates would trump fear of providing for his sister and her children.

but preferred Mortimer to Bolingbroke

he preferred Norwich above either of them.

Richard II is more often compared to Edward the Confessor who was also a tyrant but a more successful one.
Very interesting what you just said then we could have a civil war starting on who gets Richard crown there is Edmund Duke of York or his son Richard and there is also Henry V and Edmund and Roger Mortimer.

Yeah, but there was a shortage of spoiled wealthy teenagers named Roger Mortimer, wasn't it?

I think gaining the part of Mortimer estates would trump fear of providing for his sister and her children.

Only Surrey would have NO claim on Mortimer‘s estates and so is unlikely to get them,
If Richard can and want place Norwich as heir presumptive is free to do that (and he biggest obstacle on his road for doing that is Bolingbroke NOT March, who is still useful to be out in the place of the heir presumptive until Richard can totally remove his enemy Bolingbroke from the succession).
I have already explained to you why that Sir Roger CAN NOT BE March, but must be an older Roger Mortimer without any title

......No? We don't know for sure but it is not unreasonable to think there was someone named Roger Mortimer who was a spoiled teenager. And he was knighted in 1390 according to the wiki and Radcot was years before that.

But he wouldn't know the extent of Richard's plans, would he?

That is true.

He did have no claim on Arundel's estates, still got a part of it by Richard's will.
He was son of a sister of Arundel so he had a sort of claim on it
......No? We don't know for sure but it is not unreasonable to think there was someone named Roger Mortimer who was a spoiled teenager. And he was knighted in 1390 according to the wiki and Radcot was years before that.
Yeah, but evidently the fact who March had already two Earldoms, was not yet knighted and was way too young for it is not enough for being certain who he was NOT that Sir Roger Mortimer...

That's true, but chronicler could falsely attribute knighthood to Roger Mortimer.

He was son of a sister of Arundel so he had a sort of claim on it

But this is not a justification used by Richard when giving him estates.

That's true, but chronicler could falsely attribute knighthood to Roger Mortimer.

Perhaps, but he was already Earl of March by then and would have been known as such. Similar to how one calls Richard Plantagenet as "York" and Edmund Beaufort as "Somerset".

Perhaps, but he was already Earl of March by then and would have been known as such. Similar to how one calls Richard Plantagenet as "York" and Edmund Beaufort as "Somerset".

Yeah, but why people think that March was associated with Appellants if he wasn't present on Radcot?

Explain me for what reason a chronicler so incompetent to call him with a knighthood he do not had yet instead of either the Earldoms he already held can be reputed trustworthy, because I can not understand why.

Exactly.

Yeah, but why people think that March was associated with Appellants if he wasn't present on Radcot?
They associate Thomas Mortimer only with them AFAIK. I am not aware of anyone saying that Roger Mortimer was a member of them (and Richard cracked down on them pretty hard later on so I think that would atleast warrant a mention on the wiki or something)

He was too young for being present there. The association is likely born by a mistake as he was reported to be close to the uncle who was associated with the Appellants.
They associate Thomas Mortimer only with them AFAIK. I am not aware of anyone saying that Roger Mortimer was a member of them (and Richard cracked down on them pretty hard later on so I think that would atleast warrant a mention on the wiki or something)
This also. Roger was still entrusted with the Lieutenancy of Ireland for many years after tha battle, so is unlikely he had anything to do directly with then

Also Richard II does seem to have favored OTL Henry V as he was taken along with the King to Ireland before he was deposed and didn't execute him despite his father seeking to overthrow him

I genuinely believe that Mortimer was favored as heir because Richard was prideful and spiteful and never forgave the Lord Appellants

Also Richard II does seem to have favored OTL Henry V as he was taken along with the King to Ireland before he was deposed and didn't execute him despite his father seeking to overthrow him

I genuinely believe that Mortimer was favored as heir because Richard was prideful and spiteful and never forgave the Lord Appellants
Monmouth was young, a ward of the King and much more useful kept alive as hostage than to being executed so I would not say who he was favored by Richard II, at least not judging from that facts

Monmouth was young, a ward of the King and much more useful kept alive as hostage than to being executed so I would not say who he was favored by Richard II, at least not judging from that facts

It's reported by contemporary sources that Richard was fond of his young Ward and personally knighted him

Additionally Henry V reburied Richard II upon taking the throne, which seems to indicate the feelings were reciprocated in my eyes

Plus he's not a very useful hostage once Henry IV made clear he was usurping Richard